Is it worth it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tak 121
  • 42 comments
  • 1,474 views
Messages
37
Some guy got a new DB5 that hasn't come out yet for 2 million dollars at an auction so i started wandering is it worth buying a car that hasn't come out for up to 6 times more or is it better waiting 1 year longer?
 
Since I double-posted, I'll expand my statement.

Does anyone else see the absurd similarity between the Aston-Martin DB9, Vanquish, and V8 Vantage? It's gotten to the point where I can't come CLOSE to telling them apart. Actually, the new Jaguar XK8 quite blends in to that bunch as well. Am I nuts?
 
The Aston-Martin DB5 came out in 1963. Perhaps you're referring to the Aston-Martin DBS, which looks just like every single other Aston-Martin?
 
Well, they were all designed by the same bloke - perhaps he's a bit of a one-trick pony?
 
M5Power
Does anyone else see the absurd similarity between the Aston-Martin DB9, Vanquish, and V8 Vantage?

Am I nuts?

I doubt anyone couldn't see the extreme similarity's, yes they look good but I am getting tired of all the new models looking the same.

M5Power
Am I nuts?

In this case no.
 
TheCracker
Well, they were all designed by the same bloke - perhaps he's a bit of a one-trick pony?

:lol: It would seem so - and now that I know it was Callum who designed them all, I'm ready to say the DB7 looks like the bunch as well - just a bit more dated.

They are making a new one

If the brand makes a vehicle called the DBS and the DB5 and sells it alongside the DB9 - made even more confusing by the fact that there was also a DB5 - a famous one - four decades ago, I will do something really drastic like write a letter or kick up some dirt.
 
M5Power
:lol: It would seem so - and now that I know it was Callum who designed them all, I'm ready to say the DB7 looks like the bunch as well - just a bit more dated.

Ian Callum might be a one-trick pony - but his trick is a pretty good one :sly:
 
I have to look at the rear now to tell the DB9 and Vantage apart, which is a real shame considering how drastic the original V8 was compared to the DB models.

Ian Callum might be a one-trick pony - but his trick is a pretty good one

Yea, I agree on the Aston, but I don't like how the Jag turned out- and I hate it being compared to the E-type
 
TheCracker
Ian Callum might be a one-trick pony - but his trick is a pretty good one :sly:

Definitely - I'm not about to say that any of the Astons or the Jag are anything but beautiful - the problem is they're similar. Perhaps that shows a lack of direction on Aston's part rather than a lack of originality on Callum's part (though he did also give us the new XJ, possibly the least original car in recent memory).

Look at Ferrari - their present lineup is the F430, the 575, and the 612, and regardless of what you think of them - particularly that last one - they really look nothing alike. I think that's a plus (unless it produces a vehicle like the 612 - though it's not that bad, having seen two in person).
 
M5Power
Definitely - I'm not about to say that any of the Astons or the Jag are anything but beautiful - the problem is they're similar. Perhaps that shows a lack of direction on Aston's part rather than a lack of originality on Callum's part (though he did also give us the new XJ, possibly the least original car in recent memory).

I don't know what it is about the new XK, i've seen a few about now and i can't ever recall thinking oh look, the new XK! I'm not sure whether its because it's such a generic 'Callum' design or whether its because all the car mags and web sites have been running photos of concept and semi-finalized test mules of the XK for what seems like years that i'm just numb to its 'newness'?

M5Power
Look at Ferrari - their present lineup is the F430, the 575, and the 612, and regardless of what you think of them - particularly that last one - they really look nothing alike. I think that's a plus (unless it produces a vehicle like the 612 - though it's not that bad, having seen two in person).

I suppose Pininfarina are a fairly large team of designers where as Callum is but one?

Jag and Aston always seem to want plenty of heritage in their car designs, its almost as if they think people won't buy their cars because they are good/great cars but only because they are easily identifiable as 'Jags' or 'Astons' - they were never like this in the past, i guess this is a Ford management thing. Everything from Ford at the moment seemingly has to visually have a large dose of heritage/retro to it.

I've seen a couple of 612's now and i think they look much better in the flesh than in pix. They do look much bigger in reality - huge really.
 
The Astons all look very similar, but to my eyes, the only one that is truly beautiful is the DB9. I find the rear of the V8 Vantage to be too abruptly truncated, and the wide hips of the Vanquish seem rather heavy-handed.

The DBS is basically a four-door DB9.

To answer the question though, no I do not believe that it is worth it to pay significantly over list for advance delivery. However, there are a lot of people in this world who have to have the newest thing right now, and are happy (or prepared) to pay for it. That's fine if it works for them, but it's not my style. It's neither "right" nor "wrong", in my opinion.
 
GilesGuthrie
The Astons all look very similar, but to my eyes, the only one that is truly beautiful is the DB9. I find the rear of the V8 Vantage to be too abruptly truncated, and the wide hips of the Vanquish seem rather heavy-handed.

The DBS is basically a four-door DB9.

I thought the DBS is the upcoming hard-core DB9 - the four-door is that recent Lagonda concept isn't it?

That rear wheel arch treatment on the Vanquish always looks to clash with the shape of the back of the door line.
 
Yeah the DBS is the high performance "I'm going to pillage your village and kill all the women" version of the DB9, the Rapide is the 4 door which is supposed to have been green lighted.
 
live4speed
Yeah the DBS is the high performance "I'm going to pillage your village and kill all the women" version of the DB9, the Rapide is the 4 door which is supposed to have been green lighted.

Ah, my mistake.
 
Tak 121
They are making a new one

A new DB5? Where did you uncover this information? It's not particularly likely, given that the DB5 expired in the 60s along with the DB6, the DB7 expired in the early part of the 00s and the DB9 is the current car. Why would they suddenly turn back the clock on model names AND have another DB# in the range?
 
It's the DBS, some people must have mixed the S up with a 5.
 
Quite frankly, I'd say that although the differences between the Vantage, DB9 and DBS are minimal, there are subtle differences that you can see that identify them as different models. The mirrors are usually the giveaway for me, the wheels as well.

...It isn't good when all of the models look the same, but with Aston making every one look so nice, I'm finding it hard to complain.
 
TheCracker
I don't know what it is about the new XK, i've seen a few about now and i can't ever recall thinking oh look, the new XK! I'm not sure whether its because it's such a generic 'Callum' design or whether its because all the car mags and web sites have been running photos of concept and semi-finalized test mules of the XK for what seems like years that i'm just numb to its 'newness'?

I think another factor is desirability - most of us don't care much about the XK, since its point is really relaxed cruising and we're more into all-out performance. That, and the fact that we're not 75 years old, like all Jaguar buyers are. You're right though - we've been seeing concepts for the XK since back when it should have been released (when the previous model entered the same age bracket as most of its drivers) so now that it's out, it's not exactly shocking.

I've seen a couple of 612's now and i think they look much better in the flesh than in pix. They do look much bigger in reality - huge really.

I'm not sure if the term "much better" is apt, but "better" certainly applies. :p

Here are images of the ones I've seen. When you see them on the road rather than in tarted-up posed magazine shots, it definitely gives a different perspective:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/81401/Cars/abh-612-3.jpg (Nov. 5, 2005 - Denver, Colo.)
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/81401/Cars/aci-612.jpg (Dec. 13, 2005 - Denver, Colo.)
 
Well you have to remember that the DB9, DBS and Rapide when it comes out are all members of the same model line, so they should be based on the same shape. The vantage is much more muscular, it's got a more squat stance and it's looks share a lot more in common with the DB7 (which was out when the Vanquish was first introduced) than the DB9. Then you have the V8 Vantage which shares the same styling principals but looks very noticably different to both the DB9 and the Vanquish.
 
Personally I think it's just lazy designing, I'm ****ed they didn't change the V8s front more noticeably - at least I can tell the difference between a Boxter, Cayman and Porsche within a second, whereas with the Vanquish, Vantage and DB9 I struggle to notice the difference when travelling.
 
KSaiyu
Personally I think it's just lazy designing, I'm ****ed they didn't change the V8s front more noticeably - at least I can tell the difference between a Boxter, Cayman and Porsche within a second, whereas with the Vanquish, Vantage and DB9 I struggle to notice the difference when travelling.
Yeah because these look a whole world different, right.

.

.

But this is lazy!!!
02.jpg

05.jpg

01.jpg


I don't know about you, but I can tell the difference pretty damn easilly thank you very much.
 
live4speed
Yeah because these look a whole world different, right.

*porsches*

But this is lazy!!!

*astons*

I don't know about you, but I can tell the difference pretty damn easilly thank you very much.

Actually, I agree with KSaiyu. The Boxster, Cayman, and 911 may have the same styling cues, but one's a roadster, another's a hardtopified-roadster-MR-sportscar-thing, and the third is, well.....a 911. It's very easy to see to tell them apart because they have different body shapes, despite the headlights and taillights. The shared styling cues are what makes a Porsche a Porsche -- it's brand identity, and most manufacturers are using it to some degree these days.

The Aston Martins you posted, on the other hand, all look practically identical to me. The only difference I can spot is that the top one and bottom one have slightly different bumper/front fender designs than the middle two, and slightly different headlights. If my life depended on reciting the names of each one from those photos, I'd be a dead man.

In conclusion -- and I know I'll get flak for this -- I have no idea what people see in modern Aston Martins. They're just kinda-good-looking cars, but not at all what I would call "beautiful." The fact that they all look exactly the same makes them boring, they're very obese-looking, and the grille design practically ruins the whole car.

Just to add insult to injury, I'll add this: I think the current, Bangle-ified BMW 6-series, 3-series, 5-series, and Z4 look better than all of the Aston Martins. At the very least, they're more interesting to look at.

I think Aston Martins looked cooler back in the 70's:

1976astonmartinv8vantageleftsi.jpg

Now THAT is hotness. :drool:
 
"Interesting to look at" doesn't mean "better", though.

And I've said this in the past and will always say it: if you can't tell Porsches apart, you're not a true car enthusiast.
 
I have to say I dissagree with you on every count, but comparing the V8 Vantage to the DB9 is like comparing the Boxster/Cayman to the 911, they share the same styling cues, but they are different in every dimnsion. The Vanquish is the most different looking of the three, that's because it came first, personally, I see more difference in the fronts of the 3 Aston model ranges than in the Porsche's I posted and I can tell them apart easy enough. Astons are imo the finest looking cars on the planet by a long, long shot. Not everyone will agree, but they never will.
 
M5Power
"Interesting to look at" doesn't mean "better", though.

Not really, but I still think they do look better. :p
 
I think they're all ugly compared to any Aston, but then as I've said in the past, if everyone had the same good taste as me, all ugly birds would remain virgins all their lives :p. But seriousely, personal preferrence is all there is when looks alone are being taken into account so that's down to you.

If everyone was the same the world would be a boring place.
 
live4speed
Yeah because these look a whole world different, right.

Porsches!!!

But this is lazy!!!

Astons!!!

I don't know about you, but I can tell the difference pretty damn easilly thank you very much.
Actually, when taken by their actual shape and not just there front clip, the Porsches do look quite different. Astons do not, and the only reason I can tell them apart is by their lights (and I'm good at telling what cars are), because their shapes are exactly the same. The Buick-of-a-Jag is the same way. If you put a camo on them, I would be at a total loss for what they are. In addition, we can go more extreme:
986_Front.jpg
compared to this
250px-Helsinki_Motor_Show_Cayenne.jpg

or even this:
2006-Saturn-Relay-06130081990001.jpg

compared to this:
r34gtrbluefronttop7xh.jpg
 
Wolfe2x7
Just to add insult to injury, I'll add this: I think the current, Bangle-ified BMW 6-series, 3-series, 5-series, and Z4 look better than all of the Aston Martins. At the very least, they're more interesting to look at.


GAHHH. Basically just flew out of my chair at that one. But . . . wow. . . really? The 5 series isn't that bad. The 3 series is boring, has no character (redundant?), and needs to start looking creative as in someone cared about it enough to want people to go "That is a good looking car" like the E30. The 6 is boring as well, but fails miserably because it's quite bulbous. But I do think Z4 is quite cool.

But thats just my opinoin . . . And out of the Astons, I'd go for the Vantage.
 
Back