Is it worth it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tak 121
  • 42 comments
  • 1,474 views
live4speed
I think they're all ugly compared to any Aston, but then as I've said in the past, if everyone had the same good taste as me, all ugly birds would remain virgins all their lives :p. But seriousely, personal preferrence is all there is when looks alone are being taken into account so that's down to you.

If everyone was the same the world would be a boring place.

I knew I could count on you to respect my opinion, as I respect yours, but I wonder how many other people I've pissed off? ;)

Everyone loves Astons, and I just don't get it at all. It's like Aston-Martin is the GT4 of the automotive industry. :lol:
 
Just ignore the mindles haters and appreciate thoes who appreciate other peoples opinions ;).
 
I'm with L4S on this one. It isn't hard to tell them apart (especially in person, pictures don't do the cars justice), nor it is bad that they make everything look similar.

Automakers do so to give their products a collective identity, to make them recogniseable as the given brand because of one or two specific design cues. BMW's grille is their giveaway, Dodge gives everything the big truck grille (including their cars), and Ferrari is going crazy with the 612/599 look.

...It's just what happens...
 
Wolfe2x7
I think Aston Martins looked cooler back in the 70's:

1976astonmartinv8vantageleftsi.jpg

Now THAT is hotness. :drool:

I've always called that the posh mustang for some reason. To me there is a hint of mustang in that car.
 
Race Idiot
I've always called that the posh mustang for some reason. To me there is a hint of mustang in that car.
I know what you mean. I think it might be the headlight design. That and the foglights make me think "GT500". It is still (in my opinion) the best Aston ever made (including all variations of it, such as the Zagato and Virage).
 
The one used in the Bond Movie, The Living Daylights looked more like Mustang than others for some reason. The first time I watched the movie after the re-done Nick Cage version of Gone in 60 Seconds came out, my first thought was GT500E, but I knew it couldn't have happened that way.

...But with such a classic design for each, immitation is flattering for Ford.
 
M5Power
The Aston-Martin DB5 came out in 1963. Perhaps you're referring to the Aston-Martin DBS, which looks just like every single other Aston-Martin?
I don't have anytrouble with the Astons. The cars I can't differentiate? Every Saab and Volvo ever made. Volvo has two styles: "sedan-shaped boxes" and "station wagon-shaped boxes". And in more recent years, they've graduated to "rounded boxes". Put two completely different Volvos next to each other and they look EXACTLY the same. Same goes for Saab. I swear both companies only ever made one car each.
 
Wolfe2x7
Not really, but I still think they do look better. :p

I agree, but don't tell anyone, because I think it'll hurt my credibility on this issue. :D

When I saw my first V8 Vantage last month in Vail, I had to get quite close to figure out what it was - it originally passed me the other way and I just figured it was a DB9. And tonight, I saw a new XK8 from behind, raced up to find out what it was, and discovered it to be "just" a new XK8.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about these things.
 
The Vanquish is still the best looking modern Aston to me, followed by the current V8 Vantage. I don't particularly like the looks of the DB9, however. There's just not enough that stands out on the car; Not enough contrast, not enough details. You look at the Vantage, and it's got the blacked-out grille, the cool turn signals, and the sharp body line extending from the vent, whereas the DB9 is too monochromatic and roundy for my tastes.
 
Wolfe2x7
Actually, I agree with KSaiyu. The Boxster, Cayman, and 911 may have the same styling cues, but one's a roadster, another's a hardtopified-roadster-MR-sportscar-thing, and the third is, well.....a 911. It's very easy to see to tell them apart because they have different body shapes, despite the headlights and taillights. The shared styling cues are what makes a Porsche a Porsche -- it's brand identity, and most manufacturers are using it to some degree these days.

Thanks, that's what I was trying to say. Going at speed, for me it's harder to spot the difference between the astons if they're coming towards me (from behind it's easy)

I think Aston Martins looked cooler back in the 70's:

1976astonmartinv8vantageleftsi.jpg

Now THAT is hotness. :drool:

hehehehe we have one of those (the old DBS version with the fuel injection) at work with a SPOTLESS engine bay and underside, that's what got me to reply to this thread and have a moan about how the new V8 is letting me down.
 
Famine
A new DB5? Where did you uncover this information? It's not particularly likely, given that the DB5 expired in the 60s along with the DB6, the DB7 expired in the early part of the 00s and the DB9 is the current car. Why would they suddenly turn back the clock on model names AND have another DB# in the range?
i got this info from the Herald Sun in Melbourne, Australia check it on google there might be some more info on it
 
Well they made a mistake, it's DBS not DB5.
 
Tak 121
i got this info from the Herald Sun in Melbourne, Australia check it on google there might be some more info on it

I've found two recent Aston Martin auctions...

In one a 1965 DB5 was sold for $1.9 million. In the other the actual DBS from the new Casino Royale sold for $2 million.
 
Back