Is Polyphony Digital making a significant mistake by omitting career mode?

• Thread starter Danisfast
  • 158 comments
Whatever. I don't know anything, you're right.

Yeah that's a logical way of going about it. Why post if your going to get up in arms after your post has been argued? You made a claim it was wrong, you were corrected, not sure what the big issue is. Do you not agree that various cars in GTE/GT3 or even GT4 are BoP'd to a point that they're not the same as the car they started out as, and that this is a realistic way of balancing various racing series around the globe?

How is this any different than what PD are trying to model? Other than the fictional cars that I think are silly and ridiculous, I don't see what point your trying to make.

@LMSCorvetteGT2 haha everywhere you post chaos is certain to follow. You do have a smell of I'm always right going on.
I think it was last month you wanted to argue with me about cambells soup.

Anyway,
I'd really like to get in on the conversation but there's nothing to really offer until I've had a few hours with it.
I enjoy racing online, but I've never been fast enough to seriously be competitive.
This usually defaults me back to career to get the most out of the game.
So, the best I can offer at this point is the hope that their version of the online license actually lands me in a lobby filled with old slow guys like me.
Preferably in 90's road cars and not GT3 @ Monza.

Oh yeah that's right... Edit:
There are no 90's road cars.
GT Sport is going to be a winner.

Dirt (or any Rally title) is a different kettle of fish anyway,
I agree, but I didn't use them as an example in favour of online or removing a career (which limited as it was DR still had in a recognisable form).

Apart from Rally-X, you're never competing side by side with a field of other drivers, so there's no real benefit in the online content.
For me it's the random/ quick-match format that's simply "ready to race"
The percentages using them are on the lower end of online play, but I certainly still 'competed' with friends and looked to improve on my position on the leaderboard each stage.

However the main point was that the percentage who play online (regardless of the format of the racing) is significantly lower than the percentage that play off-line.

As such GTS main focus is targeting a smaller percentage of those who buy games than it ever has. That large percentage of players may well be put off with the idea of a series of coffee break style events and licence tests in place of what they expect from a GT single player.

Therefore in answer to the OP of this thread, PD may well be making a mistake.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of GTSport to be like a Battlefield/COD type game. Most people jump on for an or two and play exclusively as multiplayer, there is something extra satisfying by beating human players over AI.

If PD are clever they need to split GranTurismo into two genres, think Forza and Forza Horizon.
There is a gap in the market for a Horizon style game on Playstation. Open world, good selection of interesting production cars, lots of customisation etc with that PD attention to detail touch and difference.

XXI
@LMSCorvetteGT2 haha everywhere you post chaos is certain to follow. You do have a smell of I'm always right going on.
I think it was last month you wanted to argue with me about cambells soup.

You said and I'm paraphrasing here, that you made some soup that was "manly" cause from where you live soups aren't seen as something real men eat. The premise alone is so outrageously inane, that why anyone wouldn't press you further to explain this take on humanity, would have been beyond me.

Also never brought up Campbell's soup, but I could retrieve said post to jog your memory where it's lapsed.

On the matter of the subject, I am right about what I've stated in regards to a user claiming that PD's supposed take on categorizing cars is so vastly all over the place it's unrealistic. Thus I posed how it is realistic, wasn't challenged further on why I'm wrong, and rather was given a woe is me reply to detract. Which you further blew smoke into the proverbial butt of.

EDIT: Also this is not to say there are no issue with the system, but that they're doesn't seem to be a lack of actual effort to make a realistic one. Though if a user would have easily argued "what about the 2013 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Gr.4", then they have a valid reason to doubt PD's efforts a bit.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of GTSport to be like a Battlefield/COD type game. Most people jump on for an or two and play exclusively as multiplayer, there is something extra satisfying by beating human players over AI.

If PD are clever they need to split GranTurismo into two genres, think Forza and Forza Horizon.
There is a gap in the market for a Horizon style game on Playstation. Open world, good selection of interesting production cars, lots of customisation etc with that PD attention to detail touch and difference.

Errrr... The Crew!!!
:D

It's about having a good race. Videos have shown that Group 3 cars can't have good racing at Tokyo Expressway.

In the same way F1 cannot have a good race at Monaco, not every car/circuit scenario is a good race. You must hate any Macau race though.

The Group 4 cars are very well unbalanced, and you'd have to nerf the GT-R to like 200 HP to make it competitive, and if you have to do that much why bother.

But now they're just feeding a ton of those "nostalgia" people into esports, and I think from the countless "E S P O R T S" memes you see online most aren't really interested. So yeah, they are making a mistake.

In the exact why IRL cars run less power in race form than road counterparts. Also you're going to have good cars and bad cars. That's... a fact of any racing ever that isn't single make.

Also "you can nerf the car". So you can boost/nerf cars, but of course you're finding it as a way of criticising PD rather than applauding them for giving you such an option.

Polyphony Digital can barely put out 1 GT game per generation, and now you want them to do a spin off as well?? :lol:

Open world playstation racer game died when Sony closed Evolution Studios.

Polyphony Digital can barely put out 1 GT game per generation, and now you want them to do a spin off as well?? :lol:

Open world playstation racer game died when Sony closed Evolution Studios.
On the contrary, if they had a separate team like there is for Forza Horizion, it would be embarrassing because they'd probably complete 2 or 3 games before their big brothers released one title.

On the contrary, if they had a separate team like there is for Forza Horizion, it would be embarrassing because they'd probably complete 2 or 3 games before their big brothers released one title.

This is also correct. Kaz has shown himself to be very headstrong and quite bullish on his studio's ability to make games, which, to be granted, is pretty much the number one coda of any Japanese corporation: never admit defeat, and double, even triple down when criticized. Even though we all know that Polyphony simply is taking too much time for very little benefit. That's why the idea of starting a sister studio in the vein of Playground is simply not an option. There's also the problem of there basically being no Japanese racing studio to draw perspective employees from. Playground was started from the ashes of Bizarre and other smaller British racing game studios, alongside former Codies employees, keeping the British racing dev fraternity alive. Aside from Polyphony, there is no such fraternity in Japan. If there was a sister studio, then it would draw upon the ranks of Polyphony, probably.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/ All the up to date information about what's in GT Sport is right here for you to peruse.

The video which I bet is familiar to a lot of folks tells you their(PD) aim and goal for GT Sport.

Had to put this in there since some folks still seem to think the OP has a point, according to what is listed on the site the OP is incorrect in his assumption.

I fully expect arguments from this as well, but at least I have found proof that the OP is incorrect and the site backs me up, can anyone provide ample rebuttal? OP never once provided any proof of his claim to begin with but we have lot of pages of dialogue. I did mention in my other post that no one has seen much beyond the first tier of mission challenge, yet there are still people actively saying there's no single player. If you have no proof why are you even saying that, I mean a racing with no racing is sort of strange. PD are strange but that would be a new level of strange for them to not have races at all in campaign mode. Can we agree that a majority of us are jumping the gun and, without actual knowledge to backup our position or supplant the information given, cannot say there is no single player. The facts we know are written on GT page, until otherwise it is 100% accurate until the game is released missing what said page stated or the page is update with information to change what was previously fact.

all links are relevant to the post and are necessary to provide back up to my stance on the subject.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/ All the up to date information about what's in GT Sport is right here for you to peruse.

The video which I bet is familiar to a lot of folks tells you their(PD) aim and goal for GT Sport.

Had to put this in there since some folks still seem to think the OP has a point, according to what is listed on the site the OP is incorrect in his assumption.

I fully expect arguments from this as well, but at least I have found proof that the OP is incorrect and the site backs me up, can anyone provide ample rebuttal? OP never once provided any proof of his claim to begin with but we have lot of pages of dialogue. I did mention in my other post that no one has seen much beyond the first tier of mission challenge, yet there are still people actively saying there's no single player. If you have no proof why are you even saying that, I mean a racing with no racing is sort of strange. PD are strange but that would be a new level of strange for them to not have races at all in campaign mode. Can we agree that a majority of us are jumping the gun and, without actual knowledge to backup our position or supplant the information given, cannot say there is no single player. The facts we know are written on GT page, until otherwise it is 100% accurate until the game is released missing what said page stated or the page is update with information to change what was previously fact.

all links are relevant to the post and are necessary to provide back up to my stance on the subject.

The OP doesn't claim that it has no single player, they say that GTS doesn't contain a career mode (or whatever you wish to call it) in the traditional GT model and then asks if that will impact on the title as a result.

Now nothing in the link shows any different to that, it doesn't show a career in the traditional GT style at all.

My interpretation is that they will burn it to the ground, and create a more human race. Suggesting a lot less of the traditional and more of the new direction.

Edit: Somehow quoted wrong post

Last edited:
No, the OP isn't. You are incorrect in the assumption of what he has stated, though.

OP never once provided any proof of his claim to begin with but we have lot of pages of dialogue
Let me ask, what is his claim?

I did mention in my other post that no one has seen much beyond the first tier of mission challenge, yet there are still people actively saying there's no single player.
Good thing that the OP here didn't say that at all. Much more, I'm not sure the discussion here is about the lack of a career mode, but the lack of a traditional one. Either way, even seeing the first tier of every section of the campaign mode, they all resemble the license tests of the past. We're going off what we know, so if we see more and its actually different, then opinions will be assessed.

If you have no proof why are you even saying that
Considering you've provided no "counter proof," that there is a lack of a traditional career mode, one that wasn't replaced with what is seemingly license test. I don't necessairly have an issue with the license test style mode, but with the fact that Kaz has said nothing was dropped, you'd expect both a career mode AND licenses test, since those have been in games in the past. If one or the other isn't there, then something was definitely dropped.

Can we agree that a majority of us are jumping the gun and, without actual knowledge to backup our position or supplant the information given
No, we can't, because for me at least, I'm going off what we actually know about the game. When more information becomes available, people usually go over it and see if anything is different or not.

What I still find funny is the fact that some people, who apparently speak English as their native language, still use "your" in the place of "you're", while calling fictional cars silly and ridiculous. Guess which is more ridiculous?

What I still find funny is the fact that some people, who apparently speak English as their native language, still use "your" in the place of "you're", while calling fictional cars silly and ridiculous. Guess which is more ridiculous?
Fairly easy thing to do when writing a drawn out message through a cell phone. Not that what you're saying is the least bit relevant to.. well.. anything at all.

You being a pedant on something that has no bearing on the topic?

You're using a strawman argument once again. A single player mode existing or not isn't the issue here; it's the lack of race events against AI like in previous GT games.

Here's a video with a PD employee explaining what the campaign mode contains and showing what it is in a nutshell:

No footage or mention of race events at all.

Last edited:
You're using a strawman argument once again. A single player mode existing or not isn't the issue here; it's the lack of race events against AI like in previous GT games.

Here's a video with a PD employee explaining what the campaign mode contains and showing what it is in a nutshell:

No footage or mention of race events at all.

Thanks for the video, now I see what you were speaking about. Sorry OP you were correct, I admit it and I was in the wrong. I had no idea the video I linked to was literal, I thought it was 80% lip service. So they really are basically making offline a driving school, I feel sorry for those who enjoyed the old stuff GT used to do. I have learned something here today, guess the only part of the thread left is "is this a mistake or not?"

PD won't cater to what we want as consumers.

Kaz will just make what he thinks is best and most interesting.

i.e. Photo mode and esports.

Forza is taking the torch and running away with it in regards to any form of a single played mode. With horizon being as fun as it is they've more than slam dunked PD.

Thanks for the video, now I see what you were speaking about. Sorry OP you were correct, I admit it and I was in the wrong. I had no idea the video I linked to was literal, I thought it was 80% lip service. So they really are basically making offline a driving school, I feel sorry for those who enjoyed the old stuff GT used to do. I have learned something here today, guess the only part of the thread left is "is this a mistake or not?"

Thats exactly how i feel. Its a huge mistake IMO.

I cancelled my GTS preordered and Preordered FM7 instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Poly underestimates the number of people not interested by the concept of GTSport: only modern race cars, no visual modification/Turbo Stage 3, almost no diversity in the car roaster, no more dynamic TOD/weather and above all, what is seen as the core of a GT, no career mode.
The lack of a proper career mode is simply the cherry on the cake for the usual GT fans like me.

I don't think so. I enjoyed the former era of GT's single player, but the AI was never good enough to make it a real challenge, and I shouldn't have to de-tune my car just to make it competitive. Having said that I played it all throughout my childhood and for that it will always have a place in my heart.

But honestly, I'm all in favour of PD taking risks. Taking a leap of faith. Because at least they're trying to innovate. We all love what we started with, the original GT career mode, that's how humans are with a lot of things, and to have it gone will definitely mean we'll have to go through a little period of adjustment, but I think it's for the better. At least in my opinion. Doing the same thing over and over again can get stale, and I bet that as designers and developers, Kaz and co. want to keep trying something different. Venturing into the unknown can be really exciting for some.

I really like the direction GT Sport is taking, the online focused aspect appeals to me (plus I am interested to see the variety in the Campaign, if done well then they might be on to something, could keep us coming back, who knows?).

Just keep in mind, there's gonna be a whole new generation of humans that grow up playing GT Sport and future GT Sport styled GT games, so if you ask them thirty years down the line what they loved the most, it might just be that, like we love the classic GT.

I'm keeping an open mind, and so far, I'm happy with what I've seen. Very happy, in fact. I played the Beta and I spent pretty much all my time running hot laps, the driving felt that good. I love to feel in tune with my car, so in that aspect I suppose I can do without the patented career mode more than others, but I can see why some are disgruntled.

Change is scary. We just inherently don't like it, but let's give it a fair shake at launch after we've seen absolutely everything the game has to offer. You never know, if the Campaign races and missions are super diverse, you might find yourself having a good time with it!

In any case, I respect everyone's opinion. You've all got a right to it, and pretty much all of you make valid points on why it might not be for you, and that's totally fine.

What would be cool as DLC is some sort of career mode like past GT's, that gets built upon through free updates. That could satisfy the guys who dearly want that while also keeping it fresh with new additions, such as new races and that sort of stuff. Something like Forza 4 (last Forza I played, not sure if future games have done this exactly), where you'd have two similar cars racing down a mountain road. That's diverse compared to a regular race, things like that and also one make races, maybe.

I don't know, but if PD just went crazy and experimented a ton with some career DLC, I think that'd be awesome for a lot of us.

Either way, I'm excited for GT Sport and really love the look of the game so far and what's on offer.

Im simply going to wait until i hear some solid reviews of how the single player is.

If its what we all think then im skipping this game and hoping for GT7. But im the meanwhile Forza 7 has my full attention.

I just dont have the desire to play online. There are to many jackassses ruining it by making it a crash fest.

Some of these comments with the doom and gloom.. you make it seem like NOBODY raced GT5 and GT6 online....

You guys, Polyphony Digital is a company, and companies are made to make money. You think Kaz and Sony didnt look at the GT5/GT6 data and statistics before commiting to focus on having an online centric game?

Sure, maybe the first couple of months users of GT5 and GT6 spent the mayority of their game time playing the single player experience (unlocking cars), but from then on I would almost guarrantee that most users played online for the rest of the life of the game. Im talking about the users that stick to the game even after months in the market.

Am I crazy with this line of thought?

Some of these comments with the doom and gloom.. you make it seem like NOBODY raced GT5 and GT6 online....

You guys, Polyphony Digital is a company, and companies are made to make money. You think Kaz and Sony didnt look at the GT5/GT6 data and statistics before commiting to focus on having an online centric game?

Sure, maybe the first couple of months users of GT5 and GT6 spent the mayority of their game time playing the single player experience (unlocking cars), but from then on I would almost guarrantee that most users played online for the rest of the life of the game. Im talking about the users that stick to the game even after months in the market.

Am I crazy with this line of thought?
It's a nice idea, however if GTS follows genre trends then they we will see around 10% try online and 5% stick around for the long haul.

Those are the average numbers for online racing titles this generation.

Interestingly PC2 is bucking those numbers currently at 17.7% playing at least one online race. However it's only been a week so those numbers may well shift.

Back