Is view fixed in Sport races?

• Thread starter Jermin
  • 66 comments
China
China
I drive in cockpit view with a steering wheel. I want to race only with players using the cockpit view in Sport races. Is this possible?

What Urinal2001 said. I use bumper cam, but people should be free to use what they want. If you feel that it's quicker using a different view, then use a different view. You'll either be faster than me or slower than me. View is immaterial

Its not a dig or anything but..... why does it matter to you what view other people play in? Makes no difference to your experience as far as i can tell.

But it does in terms of pace.The "bonnet" view help people go faster compared to cockpit view -example-.Its not the only reason people use that view but its one of those.
Why do you think there is a forced "cockpit" view in some other "competitive esports racing title(s)?

This is the same argument that 'Everyone is using the Beetle' thing, though. If it is THAT good, why doesn't everyone use bonnet cam? I find I drive faster on a different view, other people enjoy using 'slower' views because they're more enjoyable.

Why restrict it? Just because other games do, doesn't mean it should be done here does it?

This is the same argument that 'Everyone is using the Beetle' thing, though. If it is THAT good, why doesn't everyone use bonnet cam? I find I drive faster on a different view, other people enjoy using 'slower' views because they're more enjoyable.

Why restrict it? Just because other games do, doesn't mean it should be done here does it?

Nope it does not have to do that,I agree.But if you force a "whatever" camera then you even up the field.
Some people are going to like that (propably only those that already use that camera) and all the others are going to get upset.
The thing is that since its supposed to be a "sim" the only logical camera they could force its the cockpit one.A camera that I am pretty sure less than 15% of the overall people use and pretty much a camera that most "console" users cannot use at all.
Thats why some "PC" titles force that view in "e-sport" section and why it will never happen in consoles.

I think the reason many use bumper cam is because it was the only option back in the "old days" (edit: apart from outside view). We used bumper cam i GT Academy as well, but now I use interior view.

No view is faster than another.

Bumper/bonnet/hood view help users to place their car better in parts of the track.That actually does help them go faster -if they are capable to use that advantage-.
So yes,there are faster "cameras" but also depends on the user too.Its the same thing with wheel vs pad:most times using a wheel is faster than a pad (if the user knows how to actually use the wheel).

But if you force a "whatever" camera then you even up the field.

That's not true, as you're then giving some an advantage and others a disadvantage because of setup, screen size etc. etc.

Also, ignoring my above response, how does it even up the field? The way the matching should be working it should be pairing you with people of a similar pace - regardless of the view that you use. Obviously there are inherent problems with the opponent matching working properly, but that is a separate issue.

I still, steadfastly, believe that you shouldn't enforce camera views.

I race in cockpit view in sim racing games, but GTS is one of the rare ones where I prefer the bumper cam, when racing online there is a pretty significant disadvantage of driving in cockpit or other views besides the bumper came because the lack of proper mirror and proximity indicators. In GTS, not all cars has a rearview mirror in the cockpit (and sometimes UI blocks it), and some has the camera display which the UI ends up blocking.

Cockpit view in the GT3 Lambo is funny as-well, the windscreen is dirty and very tinted!
I will master that thing one day, with cockpit view and dirty screen to boot :)

It's all a matter of acclamation. At first, in a new view, you will likely be slower than your familiar view set. However, if you force yourself to learn through a new view, you may find there is not any optimal view. I used bumper cam since GT1 to GT6. After I started playing Asseto Corsa, I only played in car cam, and after a few weeks, going back to bumper felt "odd". Since GtSport has launched, I have played using primarily the in car view, and have also lapped using the bumper cam to find there is no advantage for me from one to the other on pace, however the immersion factor of in car is much more rewarding. To the skeptics, give it a try. You may like it.

That's not true, as you're then giving some an advantage and others a disadvantage because of setup, screen size etc. etc.

If this is a problem then why "force" pad users against wheel users to start with?Most are faster with a wheel,so why not separate wheel/pad users?
The "view" would be the same-so no "camera advantage or disadvantage-.
The overall ring-setup cannot be the same no matter what you do.Thats depends on each user and not in the game.

Also, ignoring my above response, how does it even up the field? The way the matching should be working it should be pairing you with people of a similar pace - regardless of the view that you use. Obviously there are inherent problems with the opponent matching working properly, but that is a separate issue.

I still, steadfastly, believe that you shouldn't enforce camera views.

I've been in races that the 1st guy had a 35 sec faster lap than the last guy.No way those 2 were in similar pace.-In sports mode that is-.
Either way,I said that in console gaming,where there are a lot of casual players and "super fast with bonnet,super slow with cockpit" -or the other way around- a forced camera is never going to happen because people would not accept that.
Your post -along with others- make my point more valid.

I've been in races that the 1st guy had a 35 sec faster lap than the last guy.

But this is my point. That isn't because of the camera the drivers are using - that's because of the matching algorithm's deficiencies. Forcing one camera view will not fix this.

Once you have learned the car handling and track inside out the view makes little difference. If it's a new track and car some of the cockpit views with their very limited field of view make it much more difficult.
Should be possible in lobbies to restrict to cockpits. Although that's pretty much the same as a big red flag saying NOOBS NOT WELCOME!
Most cheaters and punters will almost certainly be using chase cam mode as it enables them to have the best awareness of what's on the track around them to plan the most efficient crashes and punts. If they were forced to use cockpit mode there would be EXPONENTIALLY less mayhem in races. But of course you can't implement this in Sport mode, the main mode of the game, as online Multiplayer is and always will be a free for all potential demolition derby. Restricting cockpit views there would mean less part time racers, less cheaters and more sedate races. In other words boring as heck to the majority of the target audience.

But this is my point. That isn't because of the camera the drivers are using - that's because of the matching algorithm's deficiencies. Forcing one camera view will not fix this.

When I say "even" the field I dont mean make all people ran the same pace.Some people would always be faster than others.
But either way @Sloppy Shades got it spot on and I dont have anything to add into this.

Its not a dig or anything but..... why does it matter to you what view other people play in? Makes no difference to your experience as far as i can tell.
It makes a huge difference. Lap times can be affected and perception changes between views which can either be advantageous and or cause issues especially with blind spots. Im pretty sure cockpit was lockable in gt5 or 6.

I find cockpit view in anything except VR to be very unrealistic. Just the amount of your actual field of vision that is taken up by the view out of the windscreen becomes tiny, compared to actually driving a car it feels cramped, like you're peering through an especially tiny letterbox and not really reminiscent of any driving experience I ever had. Perhaps with a bigger screen a PS4 Pro and more resolution it would be ok but sat six feet away from a 42" screen it just doesn't cut it.

Plus I already have a steering wheel and my own hands in the foreground, seeing that duplicated on the screen feels odd.

I generally prefer to use bonnet cams as then in my mind the tv becomes my windscreen. But given that there is no such view in this game then I use the bumper cam.

Mostly though I just can't wait until 2020 or whenever it is I'll be having 20 car races on a PS5 in VR.

If they were forced to use cockpit mode there would be EXPONENTIALLY less mayhem in races.

The only reason I think that would work is that the 'punters' would get bored and stop playing - which PD don't want as continuous user base is what they strive for.

Also, the instances of player mistakes would likely increase exponentially as well - so same number of incidents, but less intentional ones.

It doesn't. Because ideally you want to be around 42 +/- inches way from a 42 inch screen. I myself am around 9ft from 120" screen but looking to build a proper rig.
Yeah exactly but this is a console game. If I wanted to go down the route of building a "rig" then I'd just get a PC, a rift and have done with it.

The only reason I think that would work is that the 'punters' would get bored and stop playing - which PD don't want as continuous user base is what they strive for.

Also, the instances of player mistakes would likely increase exponentially as well - so same number of incidents, but less intentional ones.

True about increased player mistakes BUT they would be lots of smaller accidental taps and and knocks, which are not as upsetting when received, as opposed to the current trend for multiple DELIBERATE 100 mph shunts....try THAT in cockpit mode!

I bailed on a race league in Project Cars that forced the cock pit view. I love driving in the cockpit view but in PCars2 you couldn't see the right mirror which left you blind. I was a hazard on the track. In the bumper view the rear view mirror was wider & larger so visibility was better.

Back