Is view fixed in Sport races?

• Thread starter Jermin
  • 66 comments
I like the idea, but I'd say we're part of a very small minority. Forcing views on people would probably be harmful to the games popularity. It could be trialled in lobbies to see if there's any interest. I doubt there would be though.

Bumper/bonnet/hood view help users to place their car better in parts of the track.That actually does help them go faster -if they are capable to use that advantage-.
So yes,there are faster "cameras" but also depends on the user too.Its the same thing with wheel vs pad:most times using a wheel is faster than a pad (if the user knows how to actually use the wheel).
The camera is faster only if it is your preferred camera. Cockpit veiw is nothing like sitting in an actual car as far as what is visible.

I personally hate bonnet view. I find no advantage to it at all as far as car placement.

I can race in any view and I'm fairly quick in any view, but my preference is chase cam, which allows me to see around the car better, see corners coming up better and since I also race RC cars, it doesn't feel unnatural to be viewing the car from the outside. If sport mode forced in cockpit view, I'd probably race a lot less. I don't like the in car view at all. The reflections are distracting and you can barely see anything in some cars. hood cam or bumper cam are alright. Sometimes I use those for fun, but I'll always be a chase cam player. It doesn't reflect skill or sportsmanship at all. I'm one of the cleanest racers you will ever come across and can keep up with all but maybe the few very fastest people in the game.

Last edited:
Bonnet cam is quicker at first mainly because you can see some parts of the apex quicker and thus it's easier to judge your braking and exit etc.

That said, once you use cockpit view long enough and learn your braking reference points etc i imagine theres probably little difference in it.

I always drive cockpit view, feels weird to drive anything else. Only down side to me is there is no virtual mirror. But with buttons assigned for looking left/right and behind and with radar its not to big of a problem.

It is not a disadvantage when u set it up right and are used to it. I got a rig and the screen is attached to it and sits right behind my wheel. In other games i calculate to set it mathematicly correct so everithing is 1:1. When u do it like that it is actually an advantage. But not possible in GTS, in GTS i run al cars -5 zoom.

I am not advocating locking the view. I'm contemplating it locking to matched players. Basically I don't want to race with other players not using the cockpit view. No matter how you want to slice it our perspective will be different and that can influence outcomes.

If im in cockpit and someone is in Mario kart mode. Both us are side by side in a corner, I know he's there but I cant see him, I might go through the corner slower or more cautiously to avoid contact. Meanwhile Mario can see all the available space and take advantage. I'm not saying force everyone to use it, I'm saying we should be able to opt in to a lock where we are only matched with others locked in.

And for the record I drive cockpit exclusively, but I can put down faster times with bumper cam...just saying but that's not my argument.

To add to this discussion some more, while bumper cam is my go to for competitive races, there are many times I’ll switch to chase cam if I cant tell exactly what’s going on around me for the sake of staying clean. I’d hate to not have this option anymore if views were forced...

I don't want to force other players to use views they don't like. I just want players using cockpit view to race only with players using cockpit views in Sport mode.

You can't deny the cockpit view has a disadvantage over other views because nearly half of the TV screen is occupied by car interror in cockpit views.

If PD can't implement this, they should stop calling their game a simulator. I bought this game purely because of the simulation aspect of the game.

Yeah it would split the user base too much, you'd end up racing against people using the same view but it would either be a half-empty grid or a massive spectrum of driver and sportsmanship ratings.

I don't see it ever happening OP. Personally, I race with bumper cam. It just feels more natural to me, I've always used it.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to a locked view. If everyone is stuck with one view it would level the playing field. I just don't like cockpit view on GTS (I have tried it). It doesn't seem real to me.

I want everyone to be forced to use the same tune, same tyres, same fuel mix, same camera, same transmission, same brake balanace and same tcs as me......

See how stupid it sounds? Keep forced camera for custom lobbies. In public lobbies everyone should be free to use whatever they want, not what the “elite” want.

I want everyone to be forced to use the same tune, same tyres, same fuel mix, same camera, same transmission, same brake balanace and same tcs as me......

See how stupid it sounds? Keep forced camera for custom lobbies. In public lobbies everyone should be free to use whatever they want, not what the “elite” want.

lol. You talk like you can change views in real world races.

lol. You talk like you can change views in real world races.

You also don’t have instant access to hundreds of cars, some that only exist on paper, that you can take across the world in seconds than crash at 200mph and walk away without a scratch. But I’m guessing you don’t have a problem with any of those things. :sly:

It should be possible when you put on a lobby, not in Sport.

Maybe it should be more sensible do ban cockpit view from Sport, judging how many people drive completely unaware of whats happening around them.
Looks a bit like that thing "the gr.4 and one make races aren't my thing, just boring slow, I need something faster, go for Gr.3 as there aren't Gr.1 races" and then happens what we all know...

Your analogy is "stupid".

People seem to forget the option does exist in other versions of gran turismo. What's the big deal if a bunch of people want to race with other people who see the environment exactly as they do? How does that make them "elite"?

People seem to forget the option does exist in other versions of gran turismo. What's the big deal if a bunch of people want to race with other people who see the environment exactly as they do? How does that make them "elite"?

Noones saying not to do it in custom lobbies. But forcing it on everyone in sport mode is stupid, despite you thinking the analogy is stupid, its no different. Its someone forcing their view onto people. Literally in this case.

I am in no way elite and I use that camera.Your point is invalid.

It should be possible when you put on a lobby, not in Sport.

Maybe it should be more sensible do ban cockpit view from Sport, judging how many people drive completely unaware of whats happening around them.
Looks a bit like that thing "the gr.4 and one make races aren't my thing, just boring slow, I need something faster, go for Gr.3 as there aren't Gr.1 races" and then happens what we all know...

In any e-sport competitive racing game the sensible thing would be to force and not ban the cockpit view.Plus most people do not use that camera either way.Yet there are completely unaware of whats hapenning.Seems that those cameras -bumper,hood or whatever- is not helping people no matter what your personal opinion is.

Your analogy is "stupid".

I agree.

Noones saying not to do it in custom lobbies. But forcing it on everyone in sport mode is stupid, despite you thinking the analogy is stupid, its no different. Its someone forcing their view onto people. Literally in this case.
It's been stated numerous times in this thread that's not what's being asked, but rather to incorporate into matchmaking system and some sort of opt in function . Either way no skin off my back , just curious why the uproar over folks wanting this possibility.

The only sensible solution IMO.... add view to the match making. All cockpit, all chase, all bumper, etc.

We all know that's not going to happen.

In any e-sport competitive racing game the sensible thing would be to force and not ban the cockpit view.Plus most people do not use that camera either way.Yet there are completely unaware of whats hapenning.Seems that those cameras -bumper,hood or whatever- is not helping people no matter what your personal opinion is.

Of course my statement is ironic. But don't kid yourselfs, stop calling esports to this. Until PD sort a way of keep guys who think this is Destruction Derby away from the "official" races and so, this as nothing nowhere near a sports thing.

Its not a dig or anything but..... why does it matter to you what view other people play in? Makes no difference to your experience as far as i can tell.

I think an argument can be made that people who use chase cam view have a distinct advantage over all others. I would actually be in favour of filtering races by view.

My only advice would be to stop worrying about what view everyone else is using. We are not real racing drivers (except for those few who are); we're playing a game; if we screw up we don't end up in the hospital.

By all means, enjoy this game the way you want to. But PD are not going to implement this change.

Cockpit view in GTS is very poor, no adjustable FOV, no seat movement, no or obscured mirrors, horrible unnatural driver hands and wheel that can't be turned off.

Bumper view is much more use able for racing.

I dont see the point in forcing a View that is incomplete. In real driving you are inside the cockpit yes but you eyes can move and also your head, although limited. In game unless you are using VR then you are stuck looking straight ahead. Also many wheel users do not like the duplicate wheel.

Back