It's Official: Forza Motorsport 7 Won't Have Production Toyota Cars

Lexus could very well be in a North American release, same goes for Scion.

Nothing like VW and Audi or Lamborghini.

Infiniti and Lexus have always been considered as American makes in FM, so yes, there's a slim chance. I don't think Scion will ever make a return, since the brand is officially dead...

I thought Toyota was in NFS Payback.. I may be wrong..

The rumor goes that Toyota doesn't like their road cars to be "modified" in games. That could be anything to be honest: visible damage, custom paintjobs, visible upgrades/changes, performance upgrades... Keeping an eye on other racing games that will be released in the future with Toyota road cars in it might shed some light about what exactly is different there than in Forza.

Dirt 4 for example also has a custom livery editor in game which you can apply to every car except for the Audi quattro S1 E2. That car always comes with it's factory works livery, even if you browse through the classified cars where for every other car you either get a dull basic colour or a rare racing livery. That Audi over there always has it's works livery. So Codemasters had to make an exception in their game code for that Audi.

Similar things have happened before as well you know. The Forza anniversary livery (FH2, FM3) was on every car of the DLC pack except on the Ferrari 458, there it was just a monotome black color (most likely at the request of Ferrari). In RR3 the entire range of Ferrari cars also has highly limited livery and rim options compared to all the other brands.

Then there are also the many games that could have a much better damage model but they are limited to how damaged their cars can appear in the game because of the requests of the manufacturers.

So some manufacturers do keep some requests of how their cars appear in the game and all we know so far is that there is something in the FM series possible to do or see with cars that Toyota doesn't want for their road cars anymore.

I hope it all gets sorted out for the future.

Infiniti and Lexus have always been considered as American makes in FM, so yes, there's a slim chance. I don't think Scion will ever make a return, since the brand is officially dead...
I was just editing that in :lol:

Might be a decent chance, I still wouldn't get my hopes up.
I dont know Lexus model names, but the new one based off the Corolla is really pretty. I would like to see that in with the LFA.

Edit: All of them in FH3.
The 2014 IS 350 F Sport, specifically.

The rumor goes that Toyota doesn't like their road cars to be "modified" in games. That could be anything to be honest: visible damage, custom paintjobs, visible upgrades/changes, performance upgrades... Keeping an eye on other racing games that will be released in the future with Toyota road cars in it might shed some light about what exactly is different there than in Forza.

Dirt 4 for example also has a custom livery editor in game which you can apply to every car except for the Audi quattro S1 E2. That car always comes with it's factory works livery, even if you browse through the classified cars where for every other car you either get a dull basic colour or a rare racing livery. That Audi over there always has it's works livery. So Codemasters had to make an exception in their game code for that Audi.

Similar things have happened before as well you know. The Forza anniversary livery (FH2, FM3) was on every car of the DLC pack except on the Ferrari 458, there it was just a monotome black color (most likely at the request of Ferrari). In RR3 the entire range of Ferrari cars also has highly limited livery and rim options compared to all the other brands.

Then there are also the many games that could have a much better damage model but they are limited to how damaged their cars can appear in the game because of the requests of the manufacturers.

Thanks for your response. I just looked up the car list that's been "confirmed" in Payback so far, and it has the GT86 listed. Could it be that it's gonna get pulled from Payback or is it just something that Toyota and Turn 10 couldn't agree on?

Could it be like "We don't want our road cars to be modified unless you pay more for it." type thing, even though that sounds silly..

Because I don't see why Toyota could be in a full fledged arcade game like Payback and not in Forza 7.

I could see if it wasn't present in Payback and Forza 7, but present in PC2 and GTS.

RacerBest
NFS Edge has Toyota Corolla GT-S coming to it so it seems NFS still has Toyota license.

I seen this in Reddit, so it may only be a Turn 10/Toyota thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. I just looked up the car list that's been "confirmed" in Payback so far, and it has the GT86 listed. Could it be that it's gonna get pulled from Payback or is it just something that Toyota and Turn 10 couldn't agree on?

Could it be like "We don't want our road cars to be modified unless you pay more for it." type thing, even though that sounds silly..

Because I don't see why Toyota could be in a full fledged arcade game like Payback and not in Forza 7.

I could see if it wasn't present in Payback and Forza 7, but present in PC2 and GTS.

The GT86 will be in PCARS2 (both the 86 and GT-86, the latter also with the Rocket Bunny kit) and in GT:Sport as well, if it is already confirmed for NFS Payback then I don't think it will be pulled there. Maybe Toyota is a bit easier with their requests on their modern GT86 compared to the older cars. It would be very interesting to see if the GT APEX and Supra will appear in NFS Payback since they are in NFS 2015 as well. But FM7 still has the Subaru BRZ and I'm sure that one will come with the Rocket Bunny kit from FH3 too so basically not having the GT86 isn't that big of a deal there IMO.

I don't think it's a matter of Toyota just asking a higher price because Microsoft has a higher budget than SMS (Suzuka will be in FM7 but it didn't make it into PCARS2 because of the "absurdly high price" they asked for the license).

If "modifications" are Toyota's problem with their cars being in Forza then that is the issue, this has nothing to do with a game being full fledged arcade or sim or anything in between.

If "modifications" are Toyota's problem with their cars being in Forza then that is the issue, this has nothing to do with a game being full fledged arcade or sim or anything in between.

I can't see it being "mods" myself, because of the amount of mods you can do to the car in the 2015 NFS and Payback. It has to be something deeper.

I can't see it being "mods" myself, because of the amount of mods you can do to the car in the 2015 NFS and Payback. It has to be something deeper.

For everyone who cares about this I think it would be worth emailing Toyota Japan expressing our disappointment and asking for an explanation..

They lose potential future customers so yeah, sure they don't care right now, part of the problem, their arrogance and short sightedness. They will lose in the long term though.
I sincerely doubt that; the bulk of Toyotas people gush over in video games is far different than what Toyota currently has on the market besides the GT86.

If someone is upset they can't race a Supra, Celica, whatever, it's not like they'll make a difference on the new car lot.
My two cents : Lexus is Toyota when Audi is just a brand of VAG. I guess that Lexus and Toyota share the same philosophy, policy... The link is much stronger between Lexus and Toyota than Audi and Vag.
On the money.

Akio Toyoda was directly involved in the LC500 development. He is also the reason the upcoming 2018 LS has been delayed 3 times. If Akio does not want Toyota in Forza for whatever reason, I can assume he will share the same feelings with Lexus unless he believes Lexus' current marketing strategy falls in line with the game, which is vastly different from Toyota's.

Kunos' licensing manager debunked that myth a while ago, saying that no manufacturer they dealt with (Ferrari and Lamborghini included) ever asked for such limitations.

But FM7 still has the Subaru BRZ and I'm sure that one will come with the Rocket Bunny kit from FH3 too so basically not having the GT86 isn't that big of a deal there IMO.
Wonder what will happen to the 2JZ swap, which was available in H3 for the BRZ. These engines not branded in any way, so that might keep them in.

Toyota was missing from the previous two Dirt rally games too (eeerm... race cars which cannot be modified, which confuses me even more). They must be a nightmare to deal with whenever a gaming company needs to obtain the licence. They're only shooting themselves in the foot.

It's definetly disappointing. There is no doubt there.

I didn't like VW's absence from Horizon 3 and I don't like this.

With that said I'm not going to suddenly act like Toyota is my all time favourite car manufacturer.

Oh they have Cars I really like like the Celica and Supra.. but there are other manufacture I'd be more gutted about losing like Jaguar and possibly Aston Martin.

It sucks and whatever the issue is I hope it gets sorted and we will see them again in Horizon 4.

I doubt this will take away my enjoyment of the game and if nothing else Atleast we will still be getting Race car Toyotas.

Abflug supra, veilside supra's, Tom's supra, unfortunately TRD supra is part of toyota..

Is there a way they can get around this problem? Maybe a very-close-to-stock tuner Supra for example? Like the GT series did with Porsche/RUF.

I can think of a few but I don't know if T10 would do it.

Edit: my opinion?

This kinda smells like marketing ploy. Look what pulling Porsche did for not only the brand but also the extra money in DLC, for T10.

Pre Porsche ban, no one really cared about them. But as soon as they where gone everyone was willing to spend extra to get them. Now Porsches, are being sold in real life at $100k+ as well.

I predict 2 things.

1) you will be seeing toyota in FM7 at a later date for extra money. (Most likely when this "new" supra drops.

2) toyotas, car prices are going to rise substantially in the next 10 years because if this works, people are going to feel like Toyota is "coveted" and now wanted.

As far as the "I'm not buying this game without toyota" goes. As a former multiple supra owner, I know a small community of supra fanatics that buy racing games, only to drive/build their own cars in that said game. Sounds ridiculous to the common gamer but those people will not buy a game that doesn't have their car in it.

Last edited:
Abflug supra, veilside supra's, Tom's supra, unfortunately TRD supra is part of toyota..

I can think of a few but I don't know if T10 would do it.

This kinda smells like marketing ploy. Look what pulling Porsche did for not only the brand but also the extra money in DLC, for T10.

Pre Porsche ban, no one really cared about them. But as soon as they where gone everyone was willing to spend extra to get them. Now Porsches, are being sold in real life at $100k+ as well.

I predict 2 things.

1) you will be seeing toyota in FM7 at a later date for extra money. (Most likely when this "new" supra drops.

2) toyotas, car prices are going to rise substantially in the next 10 years because if this works, people are going to feel like Toyota is "coveted" and now wanted.

As far as the "I'm not buying this game without toyota" goes. As a former multiple supra owner, I know a small community of supra fanatics that buy racing games, only to drive/build their own cars in that said game. Sounds ridiculous to the common gamer but those people will not buy a game that doesn't have their car in it.
It sounds like you weren't around when Porsche was with EA. It wasn't just a couple years, more like 20 years.

Personally I don't care about Porsche the way others do, and since I enjoy a robust list of car and their makers, no one or two brands can ruin my game.

People who are "dedicated" as someone else poorly put it, aren't truly car fans. It takes a fair amount of ignorance to believe only a few manufacturers are somehow way better than the rest.

What did Porsche's exclusive deal with EA do for the brand other than damage among racing gamers?

Are we talking about the same Porsche here? :odd:

I predict 2 things.

This theory would work if you weren't accounting for how car prices naturally increase over time.

Back in 1995, a Porsche 911 retailed for around $61,000. Adjust for inflation, that would be right around $100,000, iirc.

Going on 5 years later in 2000, they were selling at $69,000. 2010, they retailed at $90,000 easily. I think you can see the pattern how 7 years later, it's almost impossible to not spend $100,000 on a 911 now-a-days. And these are standard Carreras. The infamous Turbo in 1996 was a $130,000.

People have been dropping big money on Porsches for years, and video games have nothing to do with it when the brand has marketed its direct line to motorsport success to move cars since forever.

I´m really unhappy with this, why we allways have to have a manufactuer keep their cars as hostage? This year we have Porsche back in every game and now Toyota do this... it really annoys me.
I´ll miss the Celica GT4 ST204, Supra and the 2000 GT very much. I do really hope to see them as DLC.

I knew something weird was happening with Toyota as it was missing from the last 2 Dirt games, also we havent seen more production cars in other games except for the GT86.

Pre Porsche ban, no one really cared about them.

Er, no.

They have been an influential and respected brand for several times longer than you've been alive. Just because you hadn't heard of them, doesn't mean that no one else cared. Look up the history of Porsche.

Now Porsches, are being sold in real life at $100k+ as well.

You think real world Porsche prices rose because of their exclusivity in video games?

Er, no.

It really does suck and the conclusion some have come to on the modifications make a lot of sense. Just look at Toyota in the past 10-15+ years, they aren't about modifying performance cars. The sportiest car they have, GT86, is woefully underpowered itself.

Most of the cars that people care about and are fun to modify are quite old.

This is a slippery slope for Toyota; today is no modifications and tomorrow could be no cars in a racing game.

Kunos' licensing manager debunked that myth a while ago, saying that no manufacturer they dealt with (Ferrari and Lamborghini included) ever asked for such limitations.
I'm afraid It doesn't matter. Rumors are still gonna be spread left and right, repeated dozens of times and turned into incontrovertible truths. It's the internet.
Japanese manufacturers are renowned for being awkward and Toyota more than most can be difficult when it comes to licencing.
Well, in Assetto Toyota was the one of the manufacturers that allowed kunos to add tuned & drift variants of their cars, while others didn't.

edit: syntax.

Last edited:
I believe Ford was cited as a manufacturer that didn't allow their cars to crumple and cave-in to the cabin when it comes to damage.

This is the part where a year after the game release, T10 works out a deal with Toyota and then you can buy the $20 Toyota DLC pack. Gottem.

Really? There are over 700 other cars to drive.

Toyota plays a special role in the big picture. Not a particularly noteworthy brand by itself but still an integral part of the whole JDM aspect many players associate with racing games building on the original Gran Turismo formula. That's exactly what Forza does now, and without Toyota, the JDM staple has suffered a major blow. It's an institution synonymous with encyclopedia-esque racing games that has now been crippled at one of its structural foundations. From this perspective I can see why it's a deal breaker for some players. It was different when there was no Porsche. Very important brand, but its absence hardly took much away from the rest and the global culture fostered by games like GT and Forza.

Back