Japanese 80's Car of Choice?

I would like to use the 83 Honda Ballade CR-X, but I have not seen that sucker pop up on the UCD in months (if ever).

Mitsubishi HSC-II. If you're going to whup up on all the AI, why not do it in a fun to watch car?

300ZX 2seater '98 on Comfort softs wasnt easy but it was fun just throwing it around the track

I used a AE86 with the FC suspension, sports soft tires, and all the drivetrain parts. It was easy but I didn't beat them too bad.

What I've been really enjoying is checking my garage, and trying to find as many cars that I can leave stock and still win the races with. I did that with the historic races as well...actually I still am.

With that said, so far it's the Nissan 240rs.

Last edited:
I've found a good formula for a competitive race at my skill level. I use sports medium tires, then limit the PP to no higher than 399 by decreasing the HP, if necessary.

Hmmm, hoping I get that lucky on my birthday! I do have a rather stylish Isuzu Piazza to try next...

How was the Piazza? I tried the Levin just upgraded to 165hp and it's just about perfect. Won Cape Ring by half a second and 0.8 behind on Effiel :)

Just had a race using a stock (oil change, comfort softs) Nissan Skyline HT 2000 RS-X Turbo C '83 on Tokyo, finished 2nd less than a tenth from winning, if the finish line was a bit further up would have had it, good race though :)

i wanted a premium car for this, so after i noticed my first choice, the RX-7, was from 1990, i went with the '89 fairlady z. Its a total push over with this car, especially with sports tires, but i find the car rather fun to drive and even much better looking than your average 80s car, so i think it was a good choice. especially since you win your money back and then some after one race.

I snatched up a used '89 Skyline R32 GT-R a long time ago because I figured an 80's Japanese event would come along someday, and it is easily the most potent car of the decade. Hard car to find too.

Talk about overkill for this event though...

If you want to be particularly mean, you could use the GT-R or the Z32 300ZX. I used an R32 tuned to 395HP for one event and got depressed over how easy it was. I did the rest of them in a mildly tuned (120HP) Civic 1500, a mildly tuned (144HP) Ballade CR-X, a heavily tuned (110 HP) Nissan Be-1 and a stock Silvia 240RS.

Even the Silvia was a bit of a washout, so I kept changing cars to find a good race. The Civic 1500 at Tsukuba was the best race, but the Be-1 was quite a hoot to use as well.

Just had a race using a stock (oil change, comfort softs) Nissan Skyline HT 2000 RS-X Turbo C '83 on Tokyo, finished 2nd less than a tenth from winning, if the finish line was a bit further up would have had it, good race though :)

Ahh, but did you rebuild the engine? I rebuilt the engine with that beautiful machine and ended up passing on the outside on the final corner...it was really exciting to watch, I think I ended up saving the replay.

I used a AE86 with the FC suspension, sports soft tires, and all the drivetrain parts. It was easy but I didn't beat them too bad.

Same here. The events are probably winnable in an AE86 with just suspension and maybe a couple bolt-ons. Gonna depend on what computer cars show up though. Too bad we can't use the Shigeno Version though.

An R32 Skyline GTS-t will definitely demolish the field if you're just looking to get through these as quickly as possible.

AE86 Corolla Levin w/ ~160hp, it's my main car right now since I'm learning to race using a Fanatec Carrera wheel :D

Used the AE86 totally stock (oil change only) for Cape Ring, and won second go - passed the leader on the way out of the ring on 2nd lap.

Gave it the 2000Cr make over for SSR5 and did it pretty easy, passing leader at end of 4th lap.

Great car!

I went with the Galant VR-4 as well ... I misread the tires and put on SS and annihilated the AI with around 420PP. Didn't bother me too much, but will pay more attention in the future. The 4G63 can never lose! =)

I tweaked out my Lamborghini green 81' Piazza thinking that I was too underpowered to beat the races but I forgot to account for how light the damn thing is. I ended up overpowering it and winning by 12+ seconds on average.

At least I got a rad car out the experience.

The Galant VR4 is my car of choice for this, I fully modded mine and it blitzed it oops lol. So tried a Toyota Carina I found in my garage, not quite sure how it got there tbh? semi modded it, won but made me work for it, I was surprised at how well the thing handled, fun little car!

LOL... Nissan PAO FTW... and id did indeed win. :)
Maxed out the addons, some SS tyres, and managed a few nice victories...

Then jumped into the '83 Lancer, Chucked in all the addons, then detuned it to 100hp, which was around 330-350pp I believe... good fun... :) Handbrake is a must... :)

I'm a big fan of the Motul Honda Civic race car, it handles so well. I also used the Corolla Levin AE86, that's a good one too.

Used a Motul Honda Civic in all races except the kart track. Tried to tune up a Ballade (CRX), but could not overcome the braking and accelerating a FF car even with soft racing tires and some toe out. Finally, I bouht a used MR-2 that was supercharged. Fixed it up and raised the final gear ratio to lower the top speed and I worked great. Fast nimble and controllable.

I have a Supra that I want to tune to race the other tracks.

Back