Jeep Renegade: The Fiat based baby Jeep

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 164 comments
The original Cherokee is the only unibody I accept as being a real Jeep, and that's because it at least didn't have the stupid FWD-based "all wheel drive" that is now a hallmark of fail SUVs.

Excellent, noted.

I'm probably still buying one and I think I might enjoy it as much as all my other none-Cherokee Jeeps ;)

From what I can tell of the new Jeep AWD systems, Active Drive will lock the front and rear axles together in "4-Low," and the Selec-Terrain seen here in the Renegade will do the same on the "Rock" setting (also offering 40/60 and 60/40 F/R torque splits in Sport and Snow, respectively). If the Renegade was strictly FWD except when engaging this stuff, you would have to call it a part-time 4WD.

The original Cherokee is the only unibody I accept as being a real Jeep, and that's because it at least didn't have the stupid FWD-based "all wheel drive" that is now a hallmark of fail SUVs.

Don't forget the ZJ and WJ.

From what I can tell of the new Jeep AWD systems, Active Drive will lock the front and rear axles together in "4-Low," and the Selec-Terrain seen here in the Renegade will do the same on the "Rock" setting (also offering 40/60 and 60/40 F/R torque splits in Sport and Snow, respectively). If the Renegade was strictly FWD except when engaging this stuff, you would have to call it a part-time 4WD.

I think it depends on what system is in the vehicle.

I took it as the basic system, Active Drive (?), being like most modern 4WD systems that can send power front to back when needed, but with the Jeep, has the ability to completely decouple the rear axle in order to save fuel. The top trim model, Active Drive Low (?), I thought was a full-time all-wheel-drive system. I may be very wrong. Jeep likes to make things up as they go. I can't keep it straight.

I get nauseated looking at it. It's like an Aston Cygnet, but worse. Jeeps are not meant to be that small.

I get nauseated looking at it. It's like an Aston Cygnet, but worse. Jeeps are not meant to be that small.

It's funny you say that.

Jeep Renegade length: 166.6"
Jeep Wrangler length*:
YJ: 152"
TJ: 155"
JK: 152"
*model depending, certain years had a 172" length
Jeep Cherokee (XJ): 166"
Jeep CJ: <130"

Your point is invalid.

Yeah, Wranglers are actually really small before you lift them with big tires. Even the new short wheelbase models are pretty small.

Looks like a Fiat 500L on stilts. And this thing is getting the 9 speed right? Why does it need so many gears? I still don't see why it needs so many gears. 7 or 8 not enough?

Really? Are people never happy? If a car has 3 or 4 gears it's not enough but if it has 8 or 9 it's too many...

Well, if you have 3 or 4 speeds, you'd have to gear it much taller to get an acceptable top speed (at least in theory). 8 and 9... just seem excessive to me. 8 is enough, 9 is really pushing it. 10 speeds? What would first be? 30 mph? Second, 35?

Why does it matter what gears come when? And why the arbitrary line on how many gears are too much? Is 400 horsepower enough 401 too much?

The idea of multi-speed gearboxes is to allow the engine to work at its most efficient speed (be that for economy or performance) as much of the time as possible. You're always more likely to be in the correct gear for acceleration if you need it (or it can drop to a gear more suitable when you need it), and there are a greater range of higher ratios when you're at a cruise (for the best mix of economy and performance).

I literally can't understand the mentality behind complaining about it. It's an automatic. It's not like you're a trucker selecting a dozen gears yourself. It does it all for you. That's the point.

The only thing you could legitimately complain about is that 9th gear doesn't even engage until you're going way, way, way over the speed limit. Which makes it kind of useless.

Otherwise, gear away... If you're at not going to give it a low-range transfer case, having crawler gears built into the main box is the next best thing. Probably better, actually, but only time will tell. :lol:

I've driven vehicles with Chrysler's 9-speed. It works surprising well and it will use 9th gear at highway speed, at least it did in the 200C I was driving.

:0 I didn't even knew this was happening. About a year ago one of the magazines asked me to do a photoshop based off a rumor about this thing, and I was like suuuure. So I did it. Boy was I waaaaaaaaay off :lol: I'll post it later on.

Having nine gears would be annoying if it resembled driving a car in Grand Theft Auto III, or a FnF race. But I'm sure it skips gears.

It does skip gears and is pretty smooth, even in the pre-production cars I drove. I initially hated the idea of a 9-speed, but after driving a Cherokee and a 200C equipped with one I really like the concept. I'd imagine on the Renegade, Chrysler is using the ZF trans, so I can't imagine it's bad either.

I've driven a Touareg TDI with an 8 speed a lot and it's excellent. The way they're programmed means you essentially can be in the powerband almost all the time.

It looks...Russian.

I like it though, and assuming it gets the 160hp 1.4T it should be a nice competitor to the MINI Countrymen and that little Buick Encore thing (barring it comes to the US).
lada-niva-02.jpg

The proportions, the flares and the round headlights really make it look like AutoVAZ finally updated the Lada Niva.

that being said i think it looks adowable!

^^^ I actually like those, super-functional if you got a good one they went anywhere, forever!

It was just really really hard to get a good one... :D

Holy crap, what happened to this car? Did it ever come out for sale? Or is it still in the pipeline?

I find it funny that some are complaining about the number of automatic gears.

Should we go back to a powerglide transmission which only had 2 gears?

A 9 speed auto is better than a stupid CVT IMO.

I was under the impression that it was showing up here by the end of the year... But, then again, it isn't like the Jeep info that I requested have been all that helpful anyway.

We do have to start asking whether or not the Renegade will be more/less expensive than the Fiat 500L, or also in the very-near future, the Fiat 500X.

It will be for sale in Europe in the 4Q of this year and in the US by spring of next year.

If it's priced the same as it's brother Panda it will sell well purely on the badge cred. I would love to own a Jeep, even if it's the teeny one. I thought the design was kinda awkward at first but it's grown on me, it looks scrappy (fighty, not belongs in a scrapyard :lol:).

Funny you should say that, my CRV has a part time 4WD system but is FWD most of the time and it handles it's job of being an SUV perfectly.

Anyway this baby Jeep is awesome, I really like it and if I were in the market for a new car I'd be seriously considering it. It's perfect for what I want from a daily driver; something slightly rugged but very easy to drive and easy to use around town and in the tiny country lanes around here.

Back