Jeep Renegade: The Fiat based baby Jeep

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 164 comments
I don't think it looks all that bad. Not very "Jeep-like" in the least sense, but I don't think it looks too horrible to even bear the Jeep namesake. I sort of dig this Jeep here.

Well, even if the outgoing Patriot was reasonably Jeep-ish, much more so than the Compass, the Renegade gets a definite pass. As long as it is reasonably capable (it appears the TrailHawk model is), it'll maintain its Jeep cred. But, this is the start of what I've been saying is a gaping hole in the American market for years... Compact all-wheel-drive cars/crossovers, with great gas mileage, and a good price. I'm betting that the Renegade, Fiat 500X, and Chevrolet Trax will sell like gangbusters up here in the Midwest, just like the Buick Encore already has. They are the right products at the right time.

US prices for the Renegade leaked

Jalopnik
Here's the base price list, as spotted on JeepRenegadeForum:

• Sport: $17,995
  • Latitude: $21,295
  • Limited: $24,795
  • Trailhawk: $25,995
  • 4x4 adds $2,000
That doesn't include dealer fees, destination charges, or options of course. Here are the powertrain options in each trim to help you sort out what you're getting:

Renegade Sport and Latitude

• 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo engine with 6-speed manual (9-speed auto available with packages)
  • 4x2 or 4x4 (Jeep Active Drive)
Renegade Limited (Optional on Sport and Latitude)

• 2.4-liter Tigershark engine with 9-speed automatic
  • 4x2 or 4x4 (Jeep Active Drive)
Renegade Trailhawk

• 2.4-liter Tigershark engine with 9-speed automatic
  • Jeep Active Drive Low with 20:1 crawl ratio and unique five mode Jeep Selec-Terrain™ systemAnd here's the powertrain
Jalopnik

At $24,290, its hard to say whether or not the Latitude 4x4 is a steal. Its certainly going to be a bit more capable than a comparable Chevrolet Trax or Honda HR-V, and it actually comes with a stick (yay!), but its nearly $2000 more than where a AWD Trax can be had. Granted, Chrysler will probably toss a bunch of incentives on the Jeep eventually, and I'm sure the MSRP is pretty inflated as-is.

I'm just curious to know whether the Fiat 500X will be more or less than the Jeep.

This car is cool, plus the Panda 4x4 Platform has alot of capability offroad due to it's immense lightness, I remember Fifth gear doing a test a few years ago having one against a Range Rover on a Off Road trail and the Panda destroyed it(well it didn't lol but with a jeep modified one it should do the trick).

Last edited:
Starts at under 18k? (Granted, nothing on it, not even air..) Should sell like hotcakes. Followed by complaints on Jeep boards about all the poseurs out there in their new non-trail-rated crossovers. :D

Seriously, I BADLY want to drive one.

I thought the Renegade was based on Fiat's 500X rather than the Panda 4x4? It's certainly a hell of a lot bigger than a Panda 4x4 in the metal.
The 500 and the Panda are on the same platform, it's likely stretched alittle so it's Sub-compact size.

Built in Italy? Well, that certainly explains the $995 destination fee. How bad are we guessing the reliability ratings will be in the first couple of years?

If/when the wife and I have a kid(s), I think I'd readily trade my Abarth in for one of these in Trailhawk guise unless they end up making an Abarth version of the 500X.

They announced pricing for the Fiat 500X during the Superbowl - $20,990 MSRP

Looks like the 500X comes with a hell of a lot more standard equipment, but with a few caveats.
  1. Base trim model is way better equipped than the Renegade Sport, but, isn't available with AWD
  2. The 500X Easy, Trekking (Plus), and Lounge automatically add the Tigershark I4 and the 9-speed automatic, regardless of FWD or AWD option boxes being ticked
  3. Option packages are crazy... Want winter-ready options like a heated steering wheel? HOPE YOU DIDN'T WANT THAT FANCY TOUCH SCREEN
As much as I liked the way the 500X felt inside, man, that price difference isn't worth it. Not in the slightest.

Its still cheaper than the Chevy Trax.....

was on Allpar and one member is dissapointed he couldnt get the Big screen option without AC...for the renegade.... Cant please everyone.

Last edited:
It's clear from the commercial: 500x = giant cock.

The Jeep is better in every way.

Built in Italy? Well, that certainly explains the $995 destination fee. How bad are we guessing the reliability ratings will be in the first couple of years?
They'll be perfectly fine for the 2.4. The turbo engine will have all sorts of problems because turbo engines just naturally have all sorts of problems.

Its still cheaper than the Chevy Trax.....

Depends on how you want to look at it. Apples to apples, the 500X Pop is cheaper than the Trax LS (both with front-drive), but the Chevrolet comes with more standard equipment. Hop up to the 500X Easy with AWD and a Trax LS with AWD, the Chevy still comes with more stuff out of the gate, but the Fiat has a much better powertrain package. Although I'd absolutely choose the 500X if it were my money, the Chevrolet will sell like gangbusters regardless. Basically being a pared down Encore, and having been available internationally for quite some time, things bode well for reliability and quality issues pretty much being non-existent out the gate. That, and resale values will probably hold up a bit better as well.

They'll be perfectly fine for the 2.4. The turbo engine will have all sorts of problems because turbo engines just naturally have all sorts of problems.

Well, the Cars.com Cherokee with the same powertrain blew an engine at 13,300 miles. Sounds like it isn't a super-common issue, but, that the 2.4L units are having more issues than they should. If it isn't the engine, its the transmission, as well. Although they just rolled out another update today, they had been replacing as many as 12-15 transmissions a week. Not exactly sky-high numbers, but certainly a bit more than what should be gone through.

Well, the Cars.com Cherokee with the same powertrain blew an engine at 13,300 miles. Sounds like it isn't a super-common issue, but, that the 2.4L units are having more issues than they should. If it isn't the engine, its the transmission, as well. Although they just rolled out another update today, they had been replacing as many as 12-15 transmissions a week. Not exactly sky-high numbers, but certainly a bit more than what should be gone through.
In that case, I don't know what to tell you. If in 2015 they can't make a naturally aspirated engine that lasts 250k miles without blinking then maybe they should just give up.

And that's the damn thing... The engine has been around for years, and its been quite reliable - well, the old ones, and the modified versions that were shared between Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai. What the hell did they do to make the Tigershark that bad?

Note the Cherokee Blown engine was the Only on known to date. aint nothing to be worried about...its not like GMs Issue with its SC V8's

And that's the damn thing... The engine has been around for years, and its been quite reliable - well, the old ones, and the modified versions that were shared between Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai. What the hell did they do to make the Tigershark that bad?

The only problems people had wth older 2.4's was Gasket issues and a issue with Oil but that was caused by people not changing the oil to its recommended mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:
In that case, I don't know what to tell you. If in 2015 they can't make a naturally aspirated engine that lasts 250k miles without blinking then maybe they should just give up.

Or 25k...

Could be worse. Could be a turbocharged DCT...

Then again, have never heard of an EgoBoost failing that early...

I saw a Renegade in a parking lot yesterday. It was in some sky blue color and actually looks pretty cool to me. Obviously not your parents' Jeep, but it does look pretty cool.

These things actually seem to be selling pretty well. They aren't as ubiquitous as the Patriot, but I've seen them popping up quite a bit.

The girlfriend has a Renegade Latitude 4x4, and overall I like it quite a bit. I've had quite a bit of drive time between when she bought it and today. While I don't know if it'd be the small crossover for me (Mazda CX-3 or Fiat 500X), it does a damn good job of being a very functional, and seemingly capable "tough" CUV.

Pros:
  • I really dig the styling, the military green paint stands out among a crowd
  • The interior design is fantastic, plenty of cubbies and almost everything immediately within reach. Plenty of room for full-size adults in the front and back, and still plenty of room for junk behind the seats... Or her dogs (which, admittedly, aren't very big)
  • The 4x4 system seems capable based on the weather we've had and some very low-intensity off-road use. Manually locking 4x4 is nice, and the automatic system seems to cope well when things are getting slippery. I'd really like to do a more thorough test myself, but, it isn't exactly my car to do it with...
  • Fuel economy has been really great, I believe the average is just north of 30 MPG with mostly city driving. That's far better than what I expected, and about double what she was getting with her former Escape
Cons:
  • The ride handling balance is generally good, but it can surprise you in some situations in a way that I personally don't care for. While the Jeep feels buttoned down on the road and while cornering, some bumps/holes are far too stiff through the interior - while others are absorbed completely. I sometimes wonder if it is the wheel/tire combo, or if it is the suspension tuning... Its hard to tell between some surfaces and speeds. Generally, more than acceptable, however
  • That damn 9-speed automatic. Sometimes it is nary a problem, other times it throws me into full-blown fits of rage. It spends far too much time hunting, and hops in too high of a gear too quickly at moderate speeds. While the pull of the 2.4L can normally handle it, I've found that manual mode is often the only place to go when doing some city driving... And when the 4x4 is engaged? It drives completely different as well. Throttle inputs are a little more difficult, and you can sense more hesitation when shifting. Not sure if it is the programmed snow mode or not, I'll have to do more digging
  • The Fiat/Chrysler way of doing switchgear is downright terrible. Halfway between the old GM "everything on one stick" model and, well, whatever a modern car should have... Its been done quite wrong here. She's used to it, but it shouldn't be difficult for me to jump in and figure out how to use the window wipers (front and rear)

Every time I read the thread title, this song pops up into my head and I can't get rid of it.

Back