Joe Satriani anyone?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Patrik
  • 54 comments
  • 2,407 views

Patrik

(Banned)
Messages
2,231
Messages
GTP_Patrik
Someone else like Joe Satriani's music?
 
Yep.

Early 80's hand-clap synth sounds? Crap. Apart from "Flying in a Blue Dream"

Newer whacked-out technoey hard rockin' stuff? Cool.

Oh and... Satch can't write or sing lyrics for buggery. He should just play his guitar!
 
James2097
Oh and... Satch can't write or sing lyrics for buggery. He should just play his guitar!
:lol: Yep. I liked him too. I have coupld of his CDs, but I haven't listen to them in a while. Around the same time, there was a guitarist by the name of Eric Johnson(James probably know who that is). He did a song called "Cliffs of Dover", which if you like Satriani, you might enjoy.
 
Downloading that vid as I type :D **Edit: THAT WAS AMAZING - awesome work daan & famine**

I was going to say Big Bad Moon is Satch's best vocal song, and basically the only one I can stand. Good harmonica too, and a baddass old fashioned boogie riff.

Personally I love "Desert Rose" by Eric Johnson. It's a bit 'fey' but the guitar solo is awesome fuzz face tone at its best, lovely phrasing too.

Apparently Eric Johnson is such a perfectionist about his tone that he has to stack his effect pedals in a certain way (vertically! :crazy: ) so the electromagnetic interference (I know - yeah right!) between them all is 'just so'. But he believes it makes a difference and I don't doubt he can hear it. The whole of Eric Johnson's releases are fantastic. He's very meticulous, a quality someone like Famine should like!
 
The stoppie is still my favourite. I remember the response it first got when daan showed it to the gang at UKGTP3. A room full of hardened racers having their jaws collectively hit desk at the same time... :D

Though the There Is No Spoon Civic dancing in time to the tune is great too... :D
 
At the risk of hi-jacking the thread, the stoppie was beautiful.
 
speaking of which, when is the GTG3 coming out? Based on GT4, preferably.

Anyhow, Satriani, I think my favourite solo guitarrist of all time. I used to own about 10 CDs by him but I had to sell them for dru... er... for money. I'm slowly getting his discography again.
 
I seem to be one of the few who likes Strange Beautiful Music. I love Oriental Melody.
 
HUGE fan of him. I went to my first concert because he was the opening act 👍
 
ceiling_fan
I seem to be one of the few who likes Strange Beautiful Music. I love Oriental Melody.
I like that song along with "Belly Dancer" and "Mind Storm." The album is not my favorite, though. Plus, I don't like his guitar tone as much. I bet he was using a prototype Peavey JSX, which I don't like at all.
 
I enjoy his music alot. 👍 Great guitarist, but I agree on the vocals and writing lyrics. :D It's hard to pick a favourite song, but if I had to, I'd say "Secret Prayer".
 
Solid Lifters
I like that song along with "Belly Dancer" and "Mind Storm." The album is not my favorite, though. Plus, I don't like his guitar tone as much. I bet he was using a prototype Peavey JSX, which I don't like at all.

His cover of "Sleepwalk" has a beautiful tone, but I agree, his sound usually has too much treble, personally. What is your favorite album of his?
 
I wish Satch wouldn't wear sunglasses every gig, that way we could see his expressions better while he is twiddling away with his "gnarly" DS-1 tone. He seems like he tries to look cool too much instead of showing a real emotional investment in what he's playing (other than nodding furiously like "I'm so cool!").

I don't think his tone is too trebley, but he might do a few too many super high whammy-pedal squeals right up the twiddley end that makes it seem too trebley. :lol:

Satch is great though - I copied his really fast pick-on-the-side uber fast tapping. For some reason it's easier to tap faster with the edge of the pick than with fingers, I think it creates a more definate connection/disconnection with the string for every note to sound clean no matter the speed. Finger flesh doing the tapping gives better tone/articulation though. :D

I am annoyed they don't have the "chromeboy" JS guitar on the Ibanez site any more... Wonder if you can still order them?
 
ceiling_fan
His cover of "Sleepwalk" has a beautiful tone, but I agree, his sound usually has too much treble, personally. What is your favorite album of his?
I forgot all about that song. I can't remember which CD I have that on, but probably a soundtrack or something. Good stuff!
 
ceiling_fan
His cover of "Sleepwalk" has a beautiful tone, but I agree, his sound usually has too much treble, personally. What is your favorite album of his?
Crystal Planet and Flying In A Blue Dream are two of my most favorites. But, CP just edges out FBD by a little.

Not Of This Earth is great two, but the tunes are very simple and basic. Kind of like the stuff I do, so that's why I really like listening to this one from time to time. Time Machine has two-three great songs that nobody ever mentions, but the rest of the album isn't that great.

a6m5
I forgot all about that song. I can't remember which CD I have that on, but probably a soundtrack or something. Good stuff!

Strange Beautiful Music.
 
I'm quite a fan of Joe Satriani. I have to be shamefully predictable, and say that I really do like Surfing With The Alien and Flying In A Blue Dream.
a6m5
Around the same time, there was a guitarist by the name of Eric Johnson(James probably know who that is). He did a song called "Cliffs of Dover", which if you like Satriani, you might enjoy.
Definitely EJ's best song. One of my favourite songs of all time, in fact.
 
Am I the odd-one-out? :indiff:

I absolutely love Strange Beautiful Music. That and Crystal Planet are probably my favourite albums of his.

The fact Satch taught Vai and Hammett to play gives him extra browney points in my books too. 👍
 
That rendition of Red House by Hendrix is amazing!
 
That G3 vid is awesome. :D Thanks for the link!
 
I am a huge fan of Satriani and have been listening to him for years. I played "Love Thing" for my wife at our wedding reception and I still have my Ibanez JS100, even though I haven't played guitar in years.

Back in highschool, I jammed with a lot of different bands. Of course the term "band" should be applied very loosely, since we were just kids who could barely play and for the most part, just pounded on the instruments until our parents threatened us with bodily harm.

Back then, in the heyday of heavy metal, louder was better. And the second thing you learned after playing your first power cord was to grimace and scowl and strut around in your most convincing James Hetfield.

Satch was a revelation for me, since for the first time I heard someone playing guitar for some other reason than to act all pissed off. Here was a guy that could play guitar and wrote songs that conveyed a whole range of emotion and texture far, far beyond what I had heard before.

His music really opened me up to --forgive the sheer cheesyness-- a new world of music expression and help made me realize what depth, meaning and sheer artistry could be accomplished with the instrument.

He is one of the very few artists I will still run out and buy the CD, rather than downloading the 128k or 256k version from msn or buy.com; just because I want to have the whole thing, not just the compressed version.

Speaking of CDs, in case some of you did not know, Joe is releasing his 10th full length studio album, Super Colossal on March 14th.


M
 
Solid Lifters
That does me no good. I already have that video. :grumpy:

:Tear:

Well then I guess you wasted two seconds of your life looking at it and another two to respond. I'll never be able to give you that precious time back. I apologize immensely for my mistake in not knowing what you have and have not seen. :ouch:
 
xcsti
:Tear:

Well then I guess you wasted two seconds of your life looking at it and another two to respond. I'll never be able to give you that precious time back. I apologize immensely for my mistake in not knowing what you have and have not seen. :ouch:
Try harder to please me next time, bastard.
 
Back