Justice League Movie (DCU Thread)Movies 

• Thread starter JKgo
  • 217 comments
Yeah, that wasn't great. I actually enjoyed MOS and the ultimate cut for BVS, but this felt a bit too bland for me. I did see it in 3D with a bit of a weird aspect ratio so not the best circumstances, but I didn't walk out the theater with a smile on my face.

The first act is a boring mess that sucks the excitement out of you. The plot is more established than previous entries but that ain't saying much. The best parts are the interactions between the members. Seeing Bruce and Diana on screen having a chat is still so awesome. Second act is really good (that harbor fight scene <3) but the third act kinda felt flat again. The soundtrack is baffling. We hear slight glimpses of the MOS theme, Wondie's theme and Elfman's Batman theme but the rest is generic garbage. Need to see it again to make a final decision, but that should have been way better.

...Well, the movie is projected to lose $100 million or so for Warner Bros, so yeah, might as well...
... give this movie a massively wide berth. I wonder what the post mortem will decide the problem was with the movie and what long term effects its failure will have on the DCEU.

give this movie a massively wide berth

...That's bit harsh. :P I'll just wait until it shows up on Netflix or something. Shouldn't take too long, I'd wager. Or on Blu-Ray, when the inevitable "Director's Cut" or "Unrated Cut" or some such shows up, claiming to feature never-before-seen footages.

...That's bit harsh. :P I'll just wait until it shows up on Netflix or something. Shouldn't take too long, I'd wager. Or on Blu-Ray, when the inevitable "Director's Cut" or "Unrated Cut" or some such shows up, claiming to feature never-before-seen footages.
I think I'm going to wait for the "making of" movie instead. The Superman Lives one was fascinating. Meanwhile I'll stick to franchises with better reviews/box office/track records.

I watched the movie last Sunday night. Hardly anyone was in the theater. I agree with most reviews that Steppenwolf was a pretty underdeveloped villain. And the film was pretty dark from a cinematic (rather than thematic) standpoint. Every outdoor scene was overcast. Not a single sunny moment. Not even on the farm.

On the positive side, I thought Ezra Miller, Jason Momoa and Ray Fisher as Barry Allen/Flash, Arthur Curry/Aquaman and Victor Stone/Cyborg were all very well cast and a lot of fun. Gal Godot was amazing as always. Ben Affleck seemed to lighten up a lot, even Henry Cavill was looser. Although all principle photography was done by Zach Snyder, you could feel Joss Whedon's touch on everything, especially the script. I honestly enjoyed this movie. It wasn't as good as Wonder Woman, buy it was much better than MoS, BvS, and SS.

If this movie only breaks even, or even loses money at the box office, hopefully it will be a clarion call to Geoff Johns and Zach Snyder and whoever else is in charge that you need to make good movies first. It's the reason the MCU has made billions for Marvel and Disney. The movies are good. I think DC is catching on, but until they get someone as good as Kevin Feige in charge, they will continue to have a spotty record.

Personally speaking, this was an absolute howler. I've been critical of superhero movies from 'that other studio' recently but they're Kubrick level genius compared to this mess.

It just felt so forced and unimportant, also managed to take Wonder Woman and give her the weakest portrayal so far on movie. Loved her brief appearance in BvS, adored the solo movie - this was paltry.

Soundtrack was terrible. Like @sems4arsenal said, no idea what they were going for.

I really liked it Justice League. Mind you, I'm a big DC fan so I kind of knew what to expect and understood the movie with ease. I think the problem lies in that the Marvel-style of movie making is so popular with the general public that Warner Bros. forced the Justice League crew to make a Marvel-esque film.

Personally I would have preferred Snyder's version. I feel like too many films today focus too much on the action and special effects instead of the plot and story line. Compare today's superhero films with films from 10 years ago, such as The Dark Knight and the difference is staggering. I fear that future DCU movies will follow the less-complex-story-more-action approach to movie making for the sake of making a quick buck.

I really liked it Justice League. Mind you, I'm a big DC fan so I kind of knew what to expect and understood the movie with ease. I think the problem lies in that the Marvel-style of movie making is so popular with the general public that Warner Bros. forced the Justice League crew to make a Marvel-esque film.

Personally I would have preferred Snyder's version. I feel like too many films today focus too much on the action and special effects instead of the plot and story line. Compare today's superhero films with films from 10 years ago, such as The Dark Knight and the difference is staggering. I fear that future DCU movies will follow the less-complex-story-more-action approach to movie making for the sake of making a quick buck.
LOL, I'm not sure what if anything about Snyder's previous DCEU instalments suggest his solo vision would have been anything other than a largely mischaracterised snarlfest with acres of edgy civilian collateral damage.

Nolan's films may have had more complex plots but his interpretation of Bane etc strayed wildly from the comics for me. The movies may have been more satisfying for movie critics and diehard fans but I feel the Marvel formula has been more fun to watch for comics fans and the general public.

Last edited:
...Okay, so I finally got around watching the Justice League last night. And I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't a total trainwreck as it has been reported in the media. Yes, it's not a masterpiece by any stretch of imagination, but overall, it was an average sort of a movie.

The big issue I have with the film though, is the presence of *SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN THE MOVIE (or had it spoiled by someone else on the internet already)* Superman. He just bulldozed through the final threat as if it was a Sunday picnic, rendering all the hard work put in by the rest of JL crew utterly meaningless. I knew he'd be there, the opening credits make it amply clear that he's in, yet to see the Supes dominate so convincingly at the end....felt incredibly anti-climatic.

Bits directed by Snyder and the bits wrangled into shape by Joss Whedon didn't seem all that out of synch to me, as some have exaggerated in the past - or maybe, I'm getting old and can't see the Mt. Tai before my eyes or something. Wuxia reference, by the way.

Wow, it's been three years since I last posted here. Apologies for reviving a bit of a dead thread...

Anyway, I watched the Snyder Cut of Justice League. Don't ask me how, since it's not available in my country...

ZS' JL 2021.jpg

My thoughts on this one... complicated.

There's no doubt this version is superior to what Joss Whedon had come up with three and a bit years ago, but it still has quite a few issues. I can tell why the HBO Max people and Snyder himself weren't initially sure of how to present this film, since the first two acts (about two and a half hours of it) are surprisingly disjointed and do not flow as well as you'd expect. I suspect that if they didn't chicken out and released it as a four-part miniseries, it might have been a little better. Maybe.

Story-wise, it's not all that different from "Josstice League" but all the characters are given sufficient room to breathe so I did end up emphasizing with them more. Thanks, four hour running time. Funnily enough, I could tell which scenes were the new additions - such as the final ten minutes or so, where Ben Affleck is noticeably less buff.

Another thing that took me by surprise was the violence. The level of blood and gore are defo not family-friendly, as is the surprise f-bomb towards the end, too.

I still wouldn't call this film a masterpiece by any stretch of imagination. Zack Snyder has great eyes for visuals but not so much with story-telling, and the first two acts are the indication of that.

Overall, though, I'm glad this movie happened.

BTW, there isn't such a big cliffhanger as some make it out to be, so you can relax on that front...

Last edited:
Yeah, the Snyder cut is so, so much better than the theatrical garbage I sat through that became 'we can't do this without Superman, LOL'. The way this cut handles that is, again, so much better because it doesn't lessen the other heroes as a result. If anything, Superman being there just completes the package and makes everyone else stronger by association. Everyone had their time to shine and as a result you're more attached to them, especially Barry.

I've never had much of anything against Joss Whedon, but his cut is absolutely terrible. It was beforehand as well, but in the face of this? Why? Why did it even release? It even cuts out information pertinent to having several scenes in the final cut make more sense. Also, and this cannot be said enough: Steppenwolf is so much better in this cut. It's so bad, the theatrical cut, holy 🤬. Also, Darkseid. Not nearly enough Darkseid.

Shame we'll never get to see more of him (Darkseid) because WB/DC just decided to drop it. And it's a shame we'll never get to see Deathstroke v Batman because Affleck noped out of the role. The DCEU has done more wrong than right and I just don't understand it. If you watched the original Justice League movie and wondered what it'd be like if it were better, put the time aside — when you can — to watch this. It isn't perfect by any means but it's much, much better than the theatrical version.

I enjoyed the Snyder cut also! so much more depth and detail than the 2017 Justice League.. also it is just a tad over 4 hours long! but damn it's a great watch, I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to see how this film should have been 👍 Shame we wont see a sequel because it would have been pretty Awesome like this cut :bowdown:

Watched Zach Snyders Justice League today, it is definitely a lot better than the theatrical version. The story makes a lot more sense, the characters are better developed including Steppenwolfe who has a clearer motivation in this.

It also has negatives, it felt long, there were a lot of long shots and a few scenes that didn't really add to the story. They could easily cut 30 mins without taking anything from the story or film.

But it was a good film overall, I'd give it a solid 8/10, but there's no way this is what we would have got originally had Snyder not left the production. But maybe its better than what we'd have got as he was allowed more creative freedom, but it would have been PG13 and probably less than 2hrs 30 mins long.

Last edited:
They got this whipped out quick! :lol:

Last edited:
Still a mess, but at least it's one person's mess. DCEU fans deserved better than what they got in 2017. They done got did dirty.

I appreciated the consistent tone. No inappropriate Whedon quips and incoherent rants about brunch! Cyborg and Steppenwolf felt like actual characters with motivations! Battfleck was a consistent weight and skin tone! It tied in to Aquaman's movie in a reasonably satisfying way!

A lot more fat could've been trimmed, though. For every issue this cut fixed, it introduced new ones. You can almost hear Zack Snyder stroking his, uh... ego... during all the slo-mo choral scenes. An early cameo ruined a good scene. The 4:3 was annoying. Cyborg and Steppenwolf looked better and worse. But...

I'd still recommend it.

...Uh, round two, I guess?

Admittedly, this one is funnier.

Edit: the first Honest Trailer was the parody of the campaign, and the trailer of the Snyder Cut JL, not the actual movie itself.

Last edited:
The second one is **** but you’re forced to sit next to it for so long you get used to the smell.

Watched the Snyder Cut, and it's definitely way better than the one that made it to theaters. If the four-hour runtime is any indication, "Josstice League" cut out at least another movie worth of good material, and given that the movie is pretty neatly divided into chapters I imagine that they didn't expect everyone to watch this thing in one sitting. Cyborg and Steppenwolf certainly felt much more fleshed out as characters here. They had enough time to actually give Victor Stone a pretty complete solo plot. Not sure why Darkseid was completely absent from the original cut of the movie. I really like this movie's version of Barry Allen in particular.

So, this suddenly showed up in my YT "recommended videos" section earlier today:

However, it's not Zack Snyder's Justice League, but Joss Whedon's Josstice League. Predictably, The Internet melts down.

Personally, I don't have a ton of issues with this release, other than thinking that WB execs aren't the sharpest tools in the shed after all. I know that re-releases of this nature, with all the up-res work and stuff, takes months, sometimes even years, in advance to get ready, so I think WB had this 4k Josstice League planned out way before Snyder cut got ready to release. I mean, both the Man of Steel and BvS got the same 4k up-res re-release not too long ago, after all.

Even then, though, it's kinda weird to see them release this version so close to the Snyder Cut's release last month - if I was in their shoes, I'd have waited a bit longer before quietly letting it out in the wild, what with all the controversy surrounding Joss Whedon's conduct during the reshoots.

The question is, though, will anyone go back to the Josstice League when there's objectively a superior version of the same film already available?

Last edited:
The movie is better than the original, but that isn't something particularly hard to do, specially when they knew what was wrong with the Joss Whedon version, so they knew what to fix. If every movie had a chance to fix the problems they had when first released, the "new cut" would always be better.

Anyways, it's still too long. So I wonder how much different the Snyder Cut would have been, if it was cut to a more bearable/normal runtime for release in Cinema. Not having that kind of restriction, easily solves the problem for movies that don't have enough time to develop their characters. All in all, nothing grants us that this would be the actual Snyder Cut from 2017.

Another thing that bothers me, but that might just be personal preference, is why is the movie so grey? It's not aesthetically appealing nor it represents the "real life", neither it makes the movie more "serious". It's just bland/boring. And then you have to take 4 hours of all that blandness. Why? I mean, it makes sense for something like Fallout, being a post-apocalyptic world, which is not the case with JL.
The first episode of WandaVision is, somehow, more "alive" and "colorful", and it's god damn black and white the whole time!

Overall, the movie is better, but still kinda boring, as it was the original release. I never felt attached to any of the characters. Characters remain overpowered for the most part, while Superman has Godmode permanently turned on.

Watched it once, out of curiosity to see what changed, and probably won't watch it again.

Wasn't a waste of my time but.... Guess this movie was more about Ultron.. err, I mean, Cyborg and the Infini... (opps, again)... Mother Boxes.

This movie should have been the altverse, as shown in the end scene, before the end credits. Take us through that timeline and then show the scene that connected Flash talking to Bruce.

The Wonder Woman scene was fantastic. That's exactly what I want to see. When Faora-Ul moved across the ground, fighting soldiers in Man of Steel, that's the rate of speed we should be seeing from these meta characters. Other than that, actors dropping F-bombs, was probably the most surprising thing about the three hours and forty minutes. One and done.

Last edited:
Back