Karting Thread

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 1,546 comments
^ Today, we're racing in reverse.

*WARNING: bad music plays to accompany awesome airborne 360 spin*

I'll post my own versions of the videos later. I admit, it looks like no one has any idea how to get 'round this layout fast.

That video cracked me up :lol: .

🤬 🤬 🤬!

That's how angry I am at the poor driving conduct today. No one remembers how to drive. Everyone is ridiculous!

One guy, who's notoriously dirty, and who has been black-flagged from practice sessions, decided to try to take me out of the race; and succeeded.

So, I only got a best of 12th, after being one of the fastest karts on the track, and actually holding the pace of the fastest karts. But, no, karters are 🤬 ridiculous and don't have any respect...

Sounds like there are some lovely drivers at your club.

Oh, you should've seen it a few years ago when me and a few other guys were in Juniors. I can't remember a time when going 4 wide into the hairpin ever worked...

Of course it was partially needed, it takes a bit of aggression to go from 20th to 5th in a lap or two.

But anyways, there's always carnage at the backwards race. It's because of the 1st turn, you come down off the oval into a tight, decreasing radius corner. Some people just run out of luck and get collected.

Fair enough. There will always be some crashes, that's motorsport. But this person MrMelan mentioned sounds like a tool.

Juniors were always a bit hectic at the start. I was too big for the poor kart and always went backwards. Funny how much things change from one year to the next.

But this person MrMelan mentioned sounds like a tool.

First time I've ever heard of him doing something like that actually.
He's normally not that aggressive.

Like I said, the backwards race brings out the worst in everybody.

Actually, I don't remember saying it on here, but I definitely said it, somewhere...

The problem with karting, at least over here, is for some reason lots of people are taught, "if you're on the inside, the corner is yours" and that apparently means you can just pretend the other person isn't there. There's absolutely no reason to be aggressive, I was never the fastest driver but I almost always had top 10 finishes, even when starting at the back of 30 kart grids and making sure I gave people on the outside of me 1 karts width or room, instead of just shoving them off like most other drivers.

Last edited:
There's absolutely no reason to be aggressive,

If you're not aggressive, then you're not going to win at our club.

Example.

True, you can't just push people off, but if you have the inside, then you've pretty much got the position anyways.

If you're not aggressive, then you're not going to win at our club.

Example.

True, you can't just push people off, but if you have the inside, then you've pretty much got the position anyways.

Not exactly my idea of aggressive driving, well fairly aggressive but I didn't see much contact.

Here's what I'm thinking about; a fairly average race, no half grid pile ups at the first corner which is always a bonus :P

And here's a practice, not that there's a lot of difference :lol: You'll never guess who's driving the #77 :rolleyes::P

I'll try and find a race in the wet, they can quite often be wreck-fests which is exactly why I went into cars, no contact at all :D

Not exactly my idea of aggressive driving, well fairly aggressive but I didn't see much contact.

That's because all the contact is out of camera, you sometimes have to lean on people a LOT.
Not to mention that most people wouldn't even THINK about attacking from that far back. (4-Strokes.)

I'll try and find a race in the wet, they can quite often be wreck-fests which is exactly why I went into cars, no contact at all :D

Interesting, I can't remember seeing anyone crash in the wet.

That's because all the contact is out of camera, you sometimes have to lean on people a LOT.
Not to mention that most people wouldn't even THINK about attacking from that far back. (4-Strokes.)

If you have to lean on someone a lot to pull off an overtake, you're forcing your way by, which is the kind of thing I'm on about as being bad/unnecessary driving.
Interesting, I can't remember seeing anyone crash in the wet.

Crashes are fair enough, I was talking more about people intentionally running into each other because they can't drive in the wet, obviously causing lots of unnecessary crashes.

If you have to lean on someone a lot to pull off an overtake, you're forcing your way by, which is the kind of thing I'm on about as being bad/unnecessary driving.
]

Sometimes it's necessary. I can almost guarantee the guy in my video leaned on someone during that first lap. If not to be faster, then to make room.

Crashes are fair enough, I was talking more about people intentionally running into each other because they can't drive in the wet, obviously causing lots of unnecessary crashes.

That's when you have a little private chat with them after the race.
Weird because I've never had an issue with anyone in the wet.

Oh, come on J, the JDL guys, so far in 2013, have been nowhere near as bad as black-flagged-during-practice guy.

If you weren't saving for your car, working, and buying strange computer things (:lol:) you would have some idea what I'm on about.

But, :lol: Wayne Stahle came over and talked to my dad and me at work, apparently he's on black-flagged-in-practice guy's side or something... Well, that's what my dad said.

Was I too hard on black-flagged-in-practice guy? Maybe. Do I think I was right to be a little irked? Yes.

Post race updates:

My bumper stayed on this week, yet another series of good finishes! :D I'm excited, I'm getting some positive momentum in the points and results.

This week's finishing positions:

Heat #1:

Started first, finished [in dramatic fashion] 7th. Watch 'til the end, there's a watershow, and I quite enjoyed it. :lol:

Heat #2:

Started last, finished 8th. Normal race, lots of bumping/pushing.

Final:

Started 7th, finished 7th. :lol: Typical.

Good work. Very consistent results :P

:lol:! The top five is too elusive for me. I can't do it, yet. There are people who have been racing there for fifteen+ years in my class. Actually, there are people who've been running in the club for 30+ years in my class. I won't call it unfair, but it certainly is difficult to pass them.

:lol:! The top five is too elusive for me. I can't do it, yet. There are people who have been racing there for fifteen+ years in my class. Actually, there are people who've been running in the club for 30+ years in my class. I won't call it unfair, but it certainly is difficult to pass them.

I know exactly what you mean 👍
Good to keep learning off them though. Pick up all the little nicks and nacks of the track and hopefully beat them next time :)

I need to magically lose 8 tenths of a second per lap. The one guy, #17, and his friend #20, both run about 8 tenths of a second faster.

Well, okay, when we've all got good grip, I'm only 3 or 4 tenths slower, but my kart's setup is worse when there's less grip.

I'm getting faster and faster but the setup is wrong, a bit. I can't quite nail it, but on colder days, I have a bit less grip and more oversteer...

I need to magically lose 8 tenths of a second per lap. The one guy, #17, and his friend #20, both run about 8 tenths of a second faster.

Well, okay, when we've all got good grip, I'm only 3 or 4 tenths slower, but my kart's setup is worse when there's less grip.

I'm getting faster and faster but the setup is wrong, a bit. I can't quite nail it, but on colder days, I have a bit less grip and more oversteer...

I find that I race better on a cool track. Because I am heavy, the kart really bogs down on hot day when the track has some grip. Setup is still pretty similer for me though. Usually just a matter of loosening/tightening sidepods and changing the rear track width.

I am about 2-3 tenths of the SRH times and 5-6 tenths up on the SRSH times at my home track, not sure on the hot day times yet, haven't really had one.

Anyway, are you oversteering into the corner or out of it?
Into it, is what I get occasionely and bringing the front track in 5mm usually does the trick. On the the way out, tighten the pods? Not really sure for that one.

Anyway, are you oversteering into the corner or out of it?
Into it, is what I get occasionely and bringing the front track in 5mm usually does the trick. On the the way out, tighten the pods? Not really sure for that one.

Bringing the front end in will increase oversteer on entry and decrease it on exit.
And you never, ever, want to tighten the sidepod bolts on a 4-stroke.
You should also be able to move the rear bumper around with minimal force.

I've only got one spacer on the inside of my fronts, 1 inch offset... I've only got an inch and a half more to go inwards, but, I like oversteer on entry, but maybe I'm getting a bit of understeer on the exit? Maybe I should bring the front tires out?

Or, maybe the oversteer on entry is nice? I still like the way the kart handles on entry, but I'll play around with my setup... Wider rear track width, wider front track width...

And, my rear bumper's a bit too tight, but at least it's not going to fall off, so I can finish the races... What do you think, Bopop4?

And, my rear bumper's a bit too tight, but at least it's not going to fall off, so I can finish the races... What do you think, Bopop4?

Well there are parts to your rear bumper yes?
The hoop around the outside, and a separate cross bar.

You should be able to rattle that cross bar around with no effort.

The hoopy it should have its bolts safety wired, and then run loose.

As soon as you tighten that bar, it changes the chassis stiffness. You want the rear to flex as much as possible.

The sidepod should also be loose.

Really, I would have to see it, because if you don't do it right, then it'll fall off.

Bringing the front end in will increase oversteer on entry and decrease it on exit.
And you never, ever, want to tighten the sidepod bolts on a 4-stroke.
You should also be able to move the rear bumper around with minimal force.

Oops, sorry. Must have got it the wrong way around :scared:

The whole bumper rattles rather gently, but it's not coming off. I'm using rubber washers (:lol:) to achieve chassis flex without loosening the rear bumper. I've got a locking nut on the left side, and a double-locking nut on the right side.

Oh, and what do you think about the track widths and the spacers? Should I fiddle around with them?

I think it should be run very loose, but lock wired.
Or at least use cable ties so that you won't get DQ'd if it comes off.

Oh, and what do you think about the track widths and the spacers? Should I fiddle around with them?

Try going out half a spacer on the front to reduce the off corner push.
You can use air pressure or rear width to make it oversteer on entry if you want.

Ah, might want to increase pressure a bit then to compensate for the cooler track.

I'm getting stuff ready for the bike racing this weekend. :D

Latest Posts

Back