Karting Thread

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 1,546 comments
We are the Australian Sprintkart Endurance Champions! :D :D

Videos, photos, and report to come. Feels so good. :)

So I've been too lazy to write a report. I'll get to it though. :P

In the mean time here is a video from practice. The majority of it is me driving but my team mate jumped in for a lap at the end just to weigh himself.

Blake

In the mean time here is a video from practice. The majority of it is me driving but my team mate jumped in for a lap at the end just to weigh himself.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMZDWAGUj5U">YouTube Link</a>

Nice video! looks like a rough track though

It's official! I'm going to make my debut in the Parilla HPV class this Sunday. I have never driven with this motor, so I have to tea all week in preparation.

I'd like to get into karting, but im afraid I wont be competitive just based on size... 6'4" and 230. I play lineman for my HS football team ,but in the offseason id really like to star karting. Is it even worth it?

The rules usually even everything out. If you have any interest at all, I highly suggest trying it. Being that you're in Cali, there are many tracks and a lot of competition, it shouldn't be hard finding class that fits you.

Finally got to go where I mentioned before.

6435440159_fdee9a315e.jpg

Although these Karts are not that powerful, the short straights on the circuit makes that it is still fun to drive.

When I asked 30 minutes the man asked, in one go?
I said yes. He said it is hard on you. I said I can take it.
When I was really getting into it (15% time gain compared to start) it was over.
Getting the results the man said, not to hard on you?
Why do they think it is hard? I work out physically and I simulate on GT5, 30' was just a good warm up.

Nice drive man. You settled into a nice rhythm there a few minutes in. Tough terrain. :)

Finally got to go where I mentioned before.

6435440159_fdee9a315e.jpg

Although these Karts are not that powerful, the short straights on the circuit makes that it is still fun to drive.

When I asked 30 minutes the man asked, in one go?
I said yes. He said it is hard on you. I said I can take it.
When I was really getting into it (15% time gain compared to start) it was over.
Getting the results the man said, not to hard on you?
Why do they think it is hard? I work out physically and I simulate on GT5, 30' was just a good warm up.
I only karted once before and it is in a similar kart at Buckmore Park. It was the RX7 Pro Kart 390CC Honda engine capable of like 70MPH+ (It has 11.7 HP). It was a few months before GT5 came out so could not practice in the virtual world ;). It was a 45 minute endurance race with I think a 10/15 minute qualifying session. So I ended up driving 1Hr constantly with 34 other drivers. Qualified near the back as I was spending more time looking out for people on hot laps as they were going flat out straight away. I think there were like three really good karters there. I think I improved 4-5 seconds over my qualifying lap in the first few laps into the race, and then I span trying to brake harder. I knew I was ahead of my brother already so took it easier then as I did not want to spin and get hit by another karter. It was very tiring and I don't work out or anything so by the end of the race I was feeling a bit sick but managed to do the whole endurance time.

On the start I managed to make like 7 places, and avoid another Kart narrowly which was pointing the opposite direction. That was the only real overtaking I did. It was good fun. Plan on going again sometime in May 2012. Definitely will book a practice session first though as I think that was a big mistake going straight into a endurance race.

What do you guys think to this new kart, is it rubbish or half decent for a hire Kart compared to a proper kart you buy?

http://www.buckmore.co.uk/content.php/39020

How does it compare to the ones you use?

Last edited:
I only karted once before and it is in a similar kart at Buckmore Park. It was the RX7 Pro Kart 390CC Honda engine capable of like 70MPH+ (It has 11.7 HP). It was a few months before GT5 came out so could not practice in the virtual world ;). It was a 45 minute endurance race with I think a 10/15 minute qualifying session. So I ended up driving 1Hr constantly with 34 other drivers. Qualified near the back as I was spending more time looking out for people on hot laps as they were going flat out straight away. I think there were like three really good karters there. I think I improved 4-5 seconds over my qualifying lap in the first few laps into the race, and then I span trying to brake harder. I knew I was ahead of my brother already so took it easier then as I did not want to spin and get hit by another karter. It was very tiring and I don't work out or anything so by the end of the race I was feeling a bit sick but managed to do the whole endurance time.

On the start I managed to make like 7 places, and avoid another Kart narrowly which was pointing the opposite direction. That was the only real overtaking I did. It was good fun. Plan on going again sometime in May 2012. Definitely will book a practice session first though as I think that was a big mistake going straight into a endurance race.

What do you guys think to this new kart, is it rubbish or half decent for a hire Kart compared to a proper kart you buy?

http://www.buckmore.co.uk/content.php/39020

How does it compare to the ones you use?

Those karts are ok. However I'm going to be honest on the fact that they won't reach 70mph, mine reaches about that and will weight alot less and has twice the power, 40mph is more like it.

Those karts are good for hire karts however they arn't going to be anything like proper race karts because hire karts have to be strong enough to withstand many crash's without bending, also the engines are tuned down to be reliable. Yes it is great fun to do hire karting, I sometimes go with my mates from karting for fun. However its nothing like racing a rotax max with soft compound tyres.

Sorry if I seem that I'm putting down hire karting.

There is one thing though that is near race karts, that is Daytona DMAX these still use hire kart chassis however use a junior rotax engine.

Hopefully I'm getting a brand new 2012 Intrepid Chassis with Rotax JR right off the trucks from the FTW race nex week

Those karts are ok. However I'm going to be honest on the fact that they won't reach 70mph, mine reaches about that and will weight alot less and has twice the power, 40mph is more like it.

Those karts are good for hire karts however they arn't going to be anything like proper race karts because hire karts have to be strong enough to withstand many crash's without bending, also the engines are tuned down to be reliable. Yes it is great fun to do hire karting, I sometimes go with my mates from karting for fun. However its nothing like racing a rotax max with soft compound tyres.

Sorry if I seem that I'm putting down hire karting.

There is one thing though that is near race karts, that is Daytona DMAX these still use hire kart chassis however use a junior rotax engine.
That is what they claim though, and it is tuned down to 70MPH. They used to have 80mph RX7 Sport karts. Now they have replaced them all with the RX390. You are probably right about the speed though, on the data sheet it said I hit something like 76.6 but didn't say the units so could be about 48MPH.

These are the lap records for the track:

http://www.buckmore.co.uk/content.php/44020

Which kind of kart would be yours in this list? The RX390 seems to be about 10 seconds off the pace of the proper karts.

That is what they claim though, and it is tuned down to 70MPH. They used to have 80mph RX7 Sport karts. Now they have replaced them all with the RX390. You are probably right about the speed though, on the data sheet it said I hit something like 76.6 but didn't say the units so could be about 48MPH.

These are the lap records for the track:

http://www.buckmore.co.uk/content.php/44020

Which kind of kart would be yours in this list? The RX390 seems to be about 10 seconds off the pace of the proper karts.

Yep, I race junior rotax so yeah, lap record for us is 38 and for you is 48. Yeah I'm guessing it would be 76kph because buckmore doesn't have many long straights so there is no way that 11bhp could reach 70mph. But still thats pretty damn fast for a hire kart.

So I'll be dropping my kart off for my team to put the Leopard on it for Daytona KartWeek!
Getting so excited. Expect some pretty lengthy reports from me as well as video.
If I do well enough in practice, I might even make a thread.

Last year there were a good number of NASCAR and IndyCar drivers in the TaG classes. Which I will be driving in as well as the Leopard class.

Just watched your video Blake. Excellent driving there. Very fast and very consistant on what looked like a difficult track.

So I'll be dropping my kart off for my team to put the Leopard on it for Daytona KartWeek!
Getting so excited. Expect some pretty lengthy reports from me as well as video.
If I do well enough in practice, I might even make a thread.

Last year there were a good number of NASCAR and IndyCar drivers in the TaG classes. Which I will be driving in as well as the Leopard class.

Go fast and go steady man! Hope to see that thread.

Nice drive man. You settled into a nice rhythm there a few minutes in. Tough terrain. :)

Just watched your video Blake. Excellent driving there. Very fast and very consistant on what looked like a difficult track.

Thanks guys. It's a really fun track. Pretty bumpy but it's a great track. It really rewards you when you push hard, and it has a good mix of corners. Slippery in the rain though!

It has that old track feel and I love that. My track is old, pits are cracked abd terribly rough, in the desert. But we hold a Gatorz Nats race. Pretty neat track with the oldness. Haha

One of the tracks in my region has that old feel to it.
Probably my favorite to drive on, even more so than the one the CIK uses.
Brake late, turn hard, get out. Love those tracks.

Better than those modern new tracks! They need to be broken in. I just drove a 2008 Tony Kart EVRR with a Parilla HPV. Faster than the Yamaha. The Tony Kart chassis fits better. The new Intrepids will be good

I ran some more laps today in practice. I found more speed and shaved 1 second off of my time. So obviously top 5 is out of the question. Just going to battle it out with the other slow kid in the back of the pack lol

Canada was very fast and beat all of us at the Rotax race in Indianna.

Yeah we have a very strong Rotax program here. Pierre Luc Oulette won the worlds in DD2 and it isn't the first time. I think Canada has won DD2 at the worlds at least 3 times in the last 5 years.

Scott Campbell in that pic with the tire in his hand was last years DD2 Masters world champ.

I probably know the guys you raced against in Indiana.

Back