Karting Thread

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 1,546 comments
Is anyone here going to be running at West Palm Beach (Moroso) Florida in the next few weeks?? My brother will be there tuning for Intrepid Kart Canada.

RETROCRX
Is anyone here going to be running at West Palm Beach (Moroso) Florida in the next few weeks?? My brother will be there tuning for Intrepid Kart Canada.

My friend Ryan is a great mechanic. I wanted him for tue Gatorz challenge of the Americas race here in February, but he is all booked up from Intrepid people from Canada :( maybe they know each other?

My friend Ryan is a great mechanic. I wanted him for tue Gatorz challenge of the Americas race here in February, but he is all booked up from Intrepid people from Canada :( maybe they know each other?

What's Ryan's last name? I'm sure if they don't know each other now they probably will by the end of the next 2 weeks!

RETROCRX
I'll tell my bro to keep his eyes open for him........find out what driver he's tuning for, it'll make it easier track him down.

Alright. He's tuning for some Canadian drivers, but I'm testing with him this week so I will ask

Here's an update of how my testing went last weekend, and the answer is very well.

It was the first time we ran our new engine. We were running the wrong gearing (geared too fast for the circuit) because for some reason our gear for this circuit wouldn't fit. It was soaking wet, and a suprisingly high turnout for a practise day with about 17 junior rotax's. Another twist was that we were running the track in reverse, which was weird but also gave a better run onto the main straight.

To my surprise I was the fastest on the circuit, wasn't overtaken all day (apart from when I span). I was catching on everyone down the straights :) and for some reason everyone else took a weird entry to this corner and I took a different one and gained massive amounts there all day long.

I love driving in the rain, it makes everything so much more exciting because its so easy to spin, and big gains can be down to the driver not just equipment as it is in the dry. I also have always been quick in the wet. Here is a vid of my second ever race nearly 2 years ago. I go from 3rd to last too 3rd.

And if your wondering that is my grandad speaking in the backround, just ingnore his commentary.

Overall I'm pretty confident for this season because finally we have an engine that pulls well, and hopefully some more wet races because thats what I love.

Last edited:
lbsf1
Here's an update of how my testing went last weekend, and the answer is very well.

It was the first time we ran our new engine. We were running the wrong gearing (geared too fast for the circuit) because for some reason our gear for this circuit wouldn't fit. It was soaking wet, and a suprisingly high turnout for a practise day with about 17 junior rotax's. Another twist was that we were running the track in reverse, which was weird but also gave a better run onto the main straight.

To my surprise I was the fastest on the circuit, wasn't overtaken all day (apart from when I span). I was catching on everyone down the straights :) and for some reason everyone else took a weird entry to this corner and I took a different one and gained massive amounts there all day long.

I love driving in the rain, it makes everything so much more exciting because its so easy to spin, and big gains can be down to the driver not just equipment as it is in the dry. I also have always been quick in the wet. Here is a vid of my second ever race nearly 2 years ago. I go from 3rd to last too 3rd.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2KqIvQejU">YouTube Link</a>

And if your wondering that is my grandad speaking in the backround, just ingnore his commentary.

Overall I'm pretty confident for this season because finally we have an engine that pulls well, and hopefully some more wet races because thats what I love.

Holy Crap! Your like an animal in the rain! I wish we could drive rain here, but apparently "We don't get enough" which is stupid because we should drive in any wet conditions. I want to try badly. What is it like?

nitrorocks
Holy Crap! Your like an animal in the rain! I wish we could drive rain here, but apparently "We don't get enough" which is stupid because we should drive in any wet conditions. I want to try badly. What is it like?

Spec 2.0 GREATLY improved rain physics in GT5. Not necessarily with karts.
The trick is to do your best to stay off of the normal dry line where there is likely to be a lot rubber. Which tends to have less grip in the wet than the asphalt/tarmac. My favorite part about driving in the rain is that you turn the kart with the pedals and not the wheel, something I've always been above average at. ;)
You're never out of the race when it's raining out. (Montreal, cough, cough)
My first race in a Rotax was in the rain. Spun in the first corner, came back to finish the race in first. In both the final and pre-final. I had some experience in the wet from indoors. That was probably the most fun I've see had in a go-kart. Indoors on a wet track with slick tires. Mmmmmmmm.

gogatrs
Spec 2.0 GREATLY improved rain physics in GT5. Not necessarily with karts.
The trick is to do your best to stay off of the normal dry line where there is likely to be a lot rubber. Which tends to have less grip in the wet than the asphalt/tarmac. My favorite part about driving in the rain is that you turn the kart with the pedals and not the wheel, something I've always been above average at. ;)
You're never out of the race when it's raining out. (Montreal, cough, cough)
My first race in a Rotax was in the rain. Spun in the first corner, came back to finish the race in first. In both the final and pre-final. I had some experience in the wet from indoors. That was probably the most fun I've see had in a go-kart. Indoors on a wet track with slick tires. Mmmmmmmm.

Haha are you running Rotax now? And I would be a bit scared to drive in the rain because there were these big puddles across the track a few weeks ago right before the race that morning. I wanted to put intermediates on and run haha

Haha are you running Rotax now? And I would be a bit scared to drive in the rain because there were these big puddles across the track a few weeks ago right before the race that morning. I wanted to put intermediates on and run haha

Man....you should come up here! I've run in the SNOW before.

BTW.....NOT FUN.....too cold.

The rain on the other hand.......killer fun!

Man....you should come up here! I've run in the SNOW before.

BTW.....NOT FUN.....too cold.

The rain on the other hand.......killer fun!

That sounds like a deathwish........what is your cousins name? Im testing with my Intrepid mechanic friday morning

I started doing rental karts two or three years ago. I got lucky because one of the driving coaches at the place I went to, was VERY good. He taught me just about everything I know about racing. That's what got me to the level I'm at now. I didn't do very well [in Daytona] but making it to the national level at all, particularly only after one year in real karts is an achievement. O owe that to him.
I'd recommend that you go to the place, master their rental karts, find a good driving coach, then work from there. You will know when it's time to get your own kart and move up to the next level.

Crispy

DKC is great for getting started using their rental karts, but a real race kart is a lot different. Come out the the North Texas Karters track in Denton sometime and you'll be able to take the club kart out for a spin to see the difference. Our first race of 2012 is this weekend and you can find the schedule at ntkarters.com. I started racing a few years ago and I'm much older than you, haha. We have 5 year olds out there racing all the time as well.

I can go into all the differences between the tracks, NTK, DKC, kart types, the classes you'll run in and etc if you're interested, just let me know. There's also a new indoor karting place that opened in Frisco which is fun as well. But if you want competitive wheel to wheel racing just about every other weekend, you can't beat racing at NTK.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks both of you! :D I'm going down to DKC this weekend with a couple friends! I'll definitely check out NTK very soon as well. Sounds like an amazing place! Thanks guys for your help! :cheers:

I had a Go-Kart a few years back, great fun, took it on one track-day and I loved it (even if I did spin a few times). I regret selling it now.

I might get into Karts soon :D

Ovals or Road Courses, I like Road Courses :D and I used to do Soap Box Derby if that counts... :P

Cowboys965
I might get into Karts soon :D

Ovals or Road Courses, I like Road Courses :D and I used to do Soap Box Derby if that counts... :P

Fail.
Don't do ovals. They're all rednecks.

Cowboys965
Says the man who thinks ANYTHING with a few left turns is redneck.

I'm a firm believer that tracks should go in a clockwise and not counter clockwise direction.

I don't care what direction the track goes, as long as it consists of left AND right turns.

I asked my mechanic today. He doesn't know your brother, but the kid he wrenching for from Calgary, his last name is King. Can't remember his first name though :ouch:

Back