Kaz interview from 8/8/2014 - GT7 is Bigger, Better and More Badass

• Thread starter DarthMosco
  • 144 comments
Italy
Italy
Kaz's interview with the Italian car-magazine Quattroruote

anything special

It has sold over 70 million copies in 15 years, giving rise to one of the references of driving simulation. Kazunori Yamauchi, professional pilot but especially producer and creator of Gran Turismo, he is also one of the great supporters of GT Academy, the virtual-to-real competition that this year has selected a young man to begin a career as a pilot. Wednesday, on the podium at Silverstone, Yamauchi has crowned French Gaeton Paletou. Then he was back to studying the next evolution of the series: the new updates for Gran Turismo 6 on PlayStation 3, but especially the seventh chapter to be released (perhaps) by the end of 2015. At Silverstone, in addition to trying the GT-R , the game designer met with journalists: here some of his answers.

Mr. Yamauchi, what is your favorite championship?
I watch regularly Formula 1, but in Japan the other categories are more difficult to follow because they aren't transmitted. In USA I got to see the NASCAR, and it's amazing: on the stands you can find 200000 spectators regardless of the importance of the event. Also the Japanese Super GT series is very interesting and technologically advanced.

What aspects of Gran Turismo will improve with the next generation of consoles, beyond the graphics? There is something that has never been possible to do so far and that future hardware will allow?
I still can't go into details, but it was hard to develop on PS3: you don't have enough memory to do whatever you want. Our goal has always been to preserve the feeling of Gran Turismo, but with the last chapter we faced limitations. With the PlayStation 4 we have much more memory: we can exploit it easily, inserting elements that we had to force or hold on PS3. There will be more graphics, more physical, more AI, more online.

We talk about the GT Academy: Jann Mardenborough, one of the winners of the previous editions, is competing in GP3 and one day might go in Formula 1: What do you think?
From the beginning I thought that a winner of the GT Academy would be able to become a Formula 1 driver, but it isn't so simple. In any case, not only the result matters: it is amazing to see these young people who play their chance to reach higher levels. These people have the power to change things, to make a mark.

What will be the most important and distinctive feature of Gran Turismo 7?
(Laughs) I can't answer yet, we are planning big updates for GT6 to be launched soon. GT7, of course, is a title faithful to the spirit of the series.

Vision Gran Turismo is almost a game within a game, a "showcase" for special and one-off designed by the same manufacturers, a powerful tool for innovation and in part also a way to develop new cars. GT 7 will have the same approach?
The response of the manufacturers in Vision Gran Turismo has surprised even me. The manufacturers are excited to work on this front and I am convinced that the project will continue with the same momentum. As with the pilots of the GT Academy, the flourishing of new ideas is always an incredible event.

Many fans continue to demand a realistic and detail damage system: GT 7 will change anything?
The damages are part of the physics of the game. In the future, we will continue to work to definitely improve the system.

What aspects of Gran Turismo will improve with the next generation of consoles, beyond the graphics? There is something that has never been possible to do so far and that future hardware will allow?
I still can't go into details, but it was hard to develop on PS3: you don't have enough memory to do whatever you want. Our goal has always been to preserve the feeling of Gran Turismo, but with the last chapter we faced limitations. With the PlayStation 4 we have much more memory: we can exploit it easily, inserting elements that we had to force or hold on PS3. There will be more graphics, more physical, more AI, more online.

Better deliver then with GT7 or there will be no more excuses
betweter.gif

I have translated the article posted in Zahara thread - a bit easier to read than what g translate produced.

(http://www.quattroruote.it/news/vid...o_le_parole_del_creatore_di_gran_turismo.html)

Mr Yamauchi, what is your favorite racing series ?

I regularly watch Formula 1 but other series are harder to follow as they are not carried (by local TV). While in USA I had a chance to watch live Nascar event and it was incredible: on the stands you can find 200 thousand spectators regardless of how important is the event. The Japanese Super GT is also very interesting and technologically advanced.

What aspects of Gran Turismo could get better on the next gen consoles apart of graphical compartment ? Is there something that could not be done till today but became possible thanks to new hardware ?

I still cannot go into detail, but developing on PS3 was hard: you don't have enough memory to do all you want. Our goal was to always preserve the feel of Gran Turismo but with the latest installment we had to face limitations.

With PS4 we have a lot of memory available: we'll be able to exploit it easily, inserting elements that we had to force or withheld on PS3.

There will be better graphics, better physics engine, smarter AI and more online options.

Let's talk about GT Academy: Jann Mardenborough, one of the winners of past editions is now racing in GP3 class and one day could make his way into Formula 1: what do you think about that ?

Since the very beginning I thought that a GT Academy winner could become an F1 driver - it's not easy though. In any case the results are not everything: it's incredible to see this guys fighting for their chance, reaching high levels. This people have the power to change things, to leave a mark.

What will be the the most important and distinctive characteristic of Gran Turismo 7 ?

(:lol:) I cannot answer that right now, we're planning to launch big updates for GT6 soon. GT7 obviously will be a title faithful to the spirit of the series.

Vision Gran Turismo is almost like a game within a game, a sort of "stage" to show off the special, one-off cars created by the manufacturers, a powerful instrument of innovation and in part a way of developing new cars. Will GT7 have the same approach ?

Response of the manufacturers to Vision Gran Turismo was a surprise also for me. Designers are thrilled to work on it and I'm sure that the project will continue with the same enthusiasm. Just how it is for GT Academy pilots, the blossom of new ideas is always and amazing event.

A lot of Gran Turismo fans would like a detailed and realistic damage system: can we expect anything on that front in GT7 ?

Damage is a part of the physics in the game. In the future we will certainly work to upgrade the system.

Interesting take on damage. Nice that he mentions AI and Online. No surprise on graphics.

VGT as an ongoing project is great as well.

A lot of Gran Turismo fans would like a detailed and realistic damage system: can we expect anything on that front in GT7 ?

Damage is a part of the physics in the game. In the future we will certainly work to upgrade the system.
I'd love to hear Kaz's explanation as to why mechanical damage is only available online. It makes no sense to have the option to enable stuff such as mechanical damage, tire wear, and standing starts online and not having those options in offline races.

If ANYTHING is, let's be happy?
Seriously though, at least we aren't paying for major features in the way of DLC. Never has a game company done so much for updates as much as I have seen for GT6. It's pretty ridiculous the amount of time they are still putting into tweaking this game, and they are working as hard as they can with the limits of the PS3.

People don't understand you can't just throw everything into a game just because it isn't there, there are reasons for it. Wake up Sheeple, especially people like JTB10000.

Seriously though, at least we aren't paying for major features in the way of DLC. Never has a game company done so much for updates as much as I have seen for GT6. It's pretty ridiculous the amount of time they are still putting into tweaking this game, and they are working as hard as they can with the limits of the PS3.

People don't understand you can't just throw everything into a game just because it isn't there, there are reasons for it. Wake up Sheeple, especially people like JTB10000.
Okay that's actually very mature, I agree with that. O.o

There's absolutely no excuse for how poor GT6's Career Mode is.

FS7
I'd love to hear Kaz's explanation as to why mechanical damage is only available online. It makes no sense to have the option to enable stuff such as mechanical damage, tire wear, and standing starts online and not having those options in offline races.

Probably because he knows the current AI is too stoopid to race aggressively.

Yes, we did get free updates but after 8 months the game still doesn't have basic options that other racing games have had for years (qualifying, balanced grid, standing starts, mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear, penalties, decent/adjustable AI). GT6 has cars & tracks but it doesn't have racing.
I simply don't see any reason for not having the stuff mentioned above in GT6. Aside from AI all the other stuff I mentioned is in the game already but for some stupid reason it isn't available offline. Those options probably could be easily added into GT6 through an update.

FS7
Yes, we did get free updates but after 8 months the game still doesn't have basic options that other racing games have had for years (qualifying, balanced grid, standing starts, mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear, penalties, decent/adjustable AI). GT6 has cars & tracks but it doesn't have racing.
I simply don't see any reason for not having the stuff mentioned above in GT6. Aside from AI all the other stuff I mentioned is in the game already but for some stupid reason it isn't available offline. Those options probably could be easily added into GT6 through an update.
All these features are in online though. Does this mean GT is going more in an online direction at the expense of offline carrer mode? Damn, I really miss the old GT's good offline feeling..

We need to consider the simple fact that most people who enjoy the series aren't as likely to post up about their enjoyment of the series, while the remainder or gt fans; the ones that feel entitled to immediacy and response for the lack of additions and updates, will be the ones posting often on forums to express their disappointment. I think the best competition for racing will never be offered by the ai in single player. The joy of gt6 for me is meeting new racers (room name: racing wheels welcome) finding good competition, sharing tunes and tips, and having some great races at the end of the day. The physics are great. There's tons of tracks. The rest will arrive if people just be patient, for both gt6 updates, and gt7.
I'm one of the people who doesn't post just to complain, who feels maybe it's time to let the naysayers know to just chill out about missing stuff like b spec and updates. Millions of lines of code are required for major features. So give pd time fellas and gals. Anyone who is anxious for news like me should take note that there are indeed many good things in the works.

Last edited:
FS7

At the end of the day that's the problem. The part highlighted in Bold should be told to PD because that in a nutshell is GT5's problem.

There is no Racing it's a Time Trail with obstacles or rolling blockades or chase the rabbit whatever you call it.

For all the updates NONE have given me the urge or reason to go back and buy GT6.

To dumb it down the reasons I'll ever buy GT6 or even jump at GT7 is Adjustable A.I

Of all things it really is the A.I that irks me about GT it's never been that good in the series, but some stronger than others.

Edit: to Add feel like with adjustable A.I and more laps for most races GT6 I could at least play it while waiting for the other updates.

Last edited:

The only reason why GT gets updates nowadays is because its incomplete. Are some folks really this blind? GT6 is basically "Release incomplete title now, update incomplete title later"

Last edited:

It's pretty ridiculous how much worse than GT5 Spec 2 the game was at release. It needed all those updates, and it still needs more. 8 months after release, and while the physics of GT6 are better I'm still not sold that it's absolutely an upgrade from GT5.

I don't expect the world, I expect them to build upon the successes of GT5 Spec 2. They really haven't done, they've added more content and removed some of the more unique features. I don't think PD deserve kudos for their support of their game when it desperately needed it simply to bring it up to the level of the previous one. Just as they didn't deserve kudos for patching the buggy mess that was GT5 1.01. That wasn't support because they care, it was support because it needed to happen. So is this.

No doubt some people would be happy with GT6 had there been no post-release support. I strongly suspect that a significant proportion of people would have walked away from GT forever had that been the case, though.

The only reason why GT gets updates nowadays is because its incomplete. Are some folks really this blind? GT6 is basically "Release incomplete title now, update incomplete title later"
which I would way prefer that waiting another two years for a finished game. GT6 was a beta, and now its a more updated beta. and I love that! if you don't, then go away.

which I would way prefer that waiting another two years for a finished game. GT6 was a beta, and now its a more updated beta. and I love that! if you don't, then go away.
Must be fun being a beta tester, huh? I don't mind updates as long as a game is released COMPLETE, not released INCOMPLETE to update the rest of the features that were said or promised to be added in and fixing bugs and glitches later...

FS7
Memory, plain and simple. Each AI not only takes more CPU, but uses up memory as well. Online, the "AI" is other people racing with you.

GT6 was not sold as a beta, where do you get this from? Nobody signed up up for some kind of "early access" program, if anything the beta was last year's GT6 demo (gt academy). We had version 1.0 on release date.
I know this, and no-one ever said it was a beta. Yeah I know false advertising yada yada yada, but I have always seen it as a beta type game, and I never had any hopes for any of the announced content to be in the game from the beginning. now that I have that mindset, GT6 is one of my favourite games, and it sure as hell is the only game that I have ever owned that I can, and have been, playing for more than 6 months, with only missing a few weeks at a time at any one point to play a new game. GT6 is a hollow carcass of a game, but I have my huayra, MP4-12c, Elise(s), trial mountain, apricot hill, decent physics, my own music playing, my Photo-mode, and my S-class events, and that is all I ever expected from GT. ever. whatever they have added and will add is just a bonus. But that's just my opinion. I most certainly understand your frustration with GT as a modern game, but I love it to bits.
Trial Mountain Circuit_12 mk2.jpg

Gran Turismo 6 was released as I expected.

Apart pit stop bug, I haven't had any major problems that prevented me from playing.
For me, Gran Turismo 6 feels like a better finished product, compared to Gran Turismo 5.

All I remember of updates, it's an improvement of physic and contents.

We feel that PoDi has a planning, monitoring is much cleaner. In Gran Turismo 5, it was all over the place ! And it's a great feeling because it shows that PoDi knows where they're going.

Course maker, B-SPEC mode, etc. have been always provided via updates.

We wait but I am very confident they will keep their promises. These features are still listed in official site and Kaz assured in this interview that big updates will come to Gran Turismo 6, soon... On a question that talked about Gran Turismo 7 !

This is the new mode of development, we have to adapt, really.

Proof. Evolution Studio uses same method as PoDi : for exempla, weather and photo mode will come via updates. Worse. Rockstar have released many patches for online mode and promised .... holdup mode that we're still waiting...

These are examples of many.

Those who insult - yes, that's the right word - Kaz or PoDi, it's because they are fun.
We can be critical yet respectful ... But for that, you need to think before you write.

So a word to the wise.

For Podi. I will always support you all the way !

@amar212 , @Tenacious D , @trustjab , @jimipitbull , @ironman44321 and all other optimistic! !

Back