Kaz interview from 8/8/2014 - GT7 is Bigger, Better and More Badass

• Thread starter DarthMosco
  • 144 comments
Didn't quote the article, but one thing about GT5 and why I can't bash it as much is because I got in a Spec 2 not Spec 1 so even though I realize the updates were slow. GT6 seems painfully slower one thing I'm looking at is the speed in which GTA V came up with their updates, and as someone said think it's time PD/Kaz open up and hire more people looking at T10 someone mentioned 300 employees and Codies with 800(that's a lot). It would at least make things less painful.

Painfully/Painful/...That must be it, couldn't see it before, maybe because I don't sense it or I deflect it somehow. No, that's not it.
It was something I read, something Kaz said long before the GT6 was released that made it clear that I wouldn't have to go through any pain.

Well, I can't say much other than that I'll probably be a bit skeptical this time round about GT7's development. I'm also going to hold Kaz up to his words on the PS4 being easier to develop a GT title on.

Why do I get a nagging feeling they're going to use the bulk of the PS4's hardware oomph for graphics?
interestingly, that is exactly what i want them to do. graphics is what makes GT a brilliant game to me, because i like taking pictures in game. therefore, the better the graphics, the better the pictures. also, GT needs more aesthetic graphics, like better rain, better damage model, and i would also love to see things like after a certain amount of time driving, you car starts to get dirty with buggs or something like that, and even cool looking rain drops on cars in the rain.

interestingly, that is exactly what i want them to do. graphics is what makes GT a brilliant game to me, because i like taking pictures in game. therefore, the better the graphics, the better the pictures. also, GT needs more aesthetic graphics, like better rain, better damage model, and i would also love to see things like after a certain amount of time driving, you car starts to get dirty with buggs or something like that, and even cool looking rain drops on cars in the rain.

Hey that's great, I too would love to see those visual treats. But tell me honestly, how much time are you really going to spend just enjoying taking and looking at photos or stopping to see while driving, just to look at the track and car detail or replays? Would you not want the experience to reach the next level with real life engine sounds and ground breaking unforgiving physics?

Hey that's great, I too would love to see those visual treats. But tell me honestly, how much time are you really going to spend just enjoying taking and looking at photos or stopping to see while driving, just to look at the track and car detail or replays? Would you not want the experience to reach the next level with real life engine sounds and ground breaking unforgiving physics?
6 months maybe? I'm up to 8 for GT6.

Huhh?! That's not what I was getting at...ehh, forget about eethh!
naw i get you, i just felt like making a point :lol:.
but otherwise, yes i would love to have all the things you mentioned above, but im just saying that realistic graphics in my priority for GT! :cheers:

Well Update 1.12 is out for GT6, and it still hasn't nudged the scale back in favor of a return to GT for me. There is one good thing and that's Quick Match.

It's progress at least.

I mean to reply to @SVPSkins on that one. Problem with progress is size of said progress. Like small, medium, or large.

Right now GT needs to be more on the large side of the equation. I'm only saying that because people in that thread still asking for the same thing Course Maker etc.

Still though no longer my fight which is why I stay out of the GT6 threads only seeing if PD actually cares about GT6 that much or was it a quick cash cow for them.

I mean to reply to @SVPSkins on that one. Problem with progress is size of said progress. Like small, medium, or large.

Right now GT needs to be more on the large side of the equation. I'm only saying that because people in that thread still asking for the same thing Course Maker etc.

Still though no longer my fight which is why I stay out of the GT6 threads only seeing if PD actually cares about GT6 that much or was it a quick cash cow for them.

true

I've posted this before elsewhere, but I thought it would work better over here... so here we go...

WARNING: The following post is full of rambling and extensive detail. Keep track of your sanity levels in order to survive reading this....
:gtpflag:

So, the recent interview with Kaz suggests that GT7 will push the boundaries of graphics, AI and physics to the next level. Physics and graphics were kind of obvious statements, but it's nice to hear that AI will receive improvements. The damage is said to be a feature that will be improved as well, which I honestly wasn't expecting, but again it's great to hear.

I suppose when you consider GT6 is being run by technology that dates back to 2008, we can safely assume that GT7 will be a fresh start for the series on next gen.

So... let's list the things that Kaz is promising for GT7 so far....

Enhanced graphics: in other words, none of the obvious and annoying graphical bugs from GT6. GT7 should be the best looking game on the PS4, just like GT5 was on the PS3 (in my opinion).

Improved sound: In theory, the majority of the vehicles will receive sound overhauls with recordings of actual engine sounds.... The Audi Sport Quattro S1 Rally Car '86 especially needs this treatment!!!! :grumpy:

Increased AI Intelligence: Kaz has now promised the AI will be better in GT7. It better stay this way.

More Realistic Physics: The driving physics in GT6 are the best we've seen in the series so far. I honestly wouldn't mind if it was unchanged for GT7. But, if there's room for improvement (which is apparently the case) PD are unlikely to hesitate. We could definitely do with better car rolling physics. They're pretty shocking in GT6. When cars roll over multiple times, it's supposed to be dramatic... right? :rolleyes:

Better Damage: I'm not sure what Kaz thinks 'improved damage' is in a GT game, but we can be hopeful that cosmetic and mechanical damage will receive tweaks to increase immersion. Let's hope such a feature makes the single player too!

Extended Photo Mode Options: We should have the ability to be more creative with Photo Mode/Photo Travel than we ever have before in the series with GT7. Fingers crossed we will get a larger selection of more interesting locations for GT7. GT6's photo travel was simply disappointing.

An Even Bigger selection of cars: The fact that standard cars are staying, and that more premium cars are planned, we can safely assume that GT7 will only expand on it's already huge selection of cars. So, us GT fans are unlikely to be disappointed, unlike what happened with Forza 5 ;). But seriously, with more cars, consistency should be bettered as well. I doubt GT7 will be 100% consistent (with many cars lacking interiors), but upping the number of premiums will slowly but surely phase the 'standard' cars out. GT7's standard cars should receive some exterior upgrades, so they look satisfactory for the PS4, even if they lack interiors. PS2 quality cars will not be acceptable on the PS4!

Now let's consider the things that haven't been talked about much by Kaz regarding GT7.

More Tracks: Obviously, the track selection will be addressed in GT7. The question is, which tracks will make the list, and which ones will go? Hopefully, none of the tracks currently in GT6 will disappear. Just like the car selection, GT7's track list should expand, not narrow down. I recall GT4 having the most number of tracks in the series to this day. My hope is GT7 will surpass this, and give us more tracks we could ever dream of. Personally, I would like to see more original tracks from past GT games (such as Seattle and Midfield Raceway) along with brand new ones, more real life tracks, and a full scale return of classic rally courses from GT4. I was disappointed at the lack of any new rally courses in GT6.

Customization: I think the main demand regarding customization is a livery editor. I can see why. Livery editors for racing games have proven to be very addictive and interesting features, allowing us to personalize our cars, or recreate cars from movies or famous racing teams. I hope a livery editor is put into GT7. Though I doubt all cars will be compatible, it will give those that are are great personal touch, that will send the online community wild in creativity. Aside from a livery editor, I'm sure we'd all like to see more cosmetic and performance customization options. I doubt GT7 will compare well to other games in the customization department, but every little helps. A few things I'd like to see include engine swaps, window tinting, custom steering wheels and the return of horns(because everyone loved them in GT5 ;)) Lastly, PD should get rid of paint chips! In GT7 I should be able to buy every available paint in the game, without painstakingly collecting them.

Career mode: Nothing has been said about an improved career mode experience. I know GT7 is nowhere near release, but even now, this concerns me a little. GT6's career mode was not only short, but I thought its change in structure was a backwards step. Lets go back to GT2. That game had tons of events and great variety. GT6 does not. PD should recap on the events they came up with for GT2, 3 and 4, and use these as primary inspiration when piecing together each individual event for GT7. With the PS4, PD could easily make a career mode that matches/surpasses the length and variety of GT4's. Have the career mode split into categories for different Motorsport disciplines. From a Beginners category, to Endurance, Karting, NASCAR and Rally categories. In addition, licence tests should be made separate to the career mode events, like they were in GT games of old. Licence tests should consist of way more exams, and should be more challenging than they were in GT6. There should be a licence test for each category in the career mode. So if I wanted to compete in NASCAR events for instance, I would not only have to save up money to buy my own NASCAR, I would also have to complete the NASCAR licence test.

I would make more points, but I think that's enough for this post. If you survived reading this, congratulations! If you just scrolled directly to the bottom, I can understand why.... :cheers:

I like where this is going. My opinions on this:
Graphics: On the PS4, I expect something good looking. Hopefully there aren't any graphical glitches. I don't know about GT6, since I've only played up to 4.

Better sound: I've never really cared that much, but I wouldn't mind some fixing in this department. Less unfitting engine sounds (Like the terribly unfitting engine sound of the 190E in GT4, which was stolen from a Civic) and less recycling (Again, the 190).

Better AI: AI has never been a strong suit of this series. I'd love some improvements here.

Better damage: I don't really have a benchmark, but sure.

Better Photo Mode: Sure, why not?

Car list: More Premiums, and Standards are staying? I'm okay with this. But I will agree that PS2 quality cars won't be acceptable on the PS4. And I really wouldn't mind if they got rid of some of the duplicates.

And on the speculation:
Track list: If anything, I wish they'd bring back all the past tracks from the series. That would be cool. At the very least, I want to see some of the classic original tracks return. I'd be up for the return of Seattle (Apparently it disappeared because the actual streets were modified) and Midfield. Oh, and bring back Route 11. That's a track I'd love to see return.

Customization: I've never really wanted one that badly, but a livery editor would be awesome, simply because of all the possible cars one would recreate. And I wouldn't mind being able to just buy every paint. Though I don't have any experience with that.

Career mode: I'd be okay if it was structured like GT4. Maybe a mixture of the past games' sim mode structures.

hsv
Because you spam up every thread, every comments section with the same, repetitive, whiny crap. I'm getting positively sick of the troll force showing up to hammer nonconstructive, uninteresting posts that we've all heard a billion times before, that add nothing to any form of discussion. I don't want to single you out here, in fact I feel bad doing so, because there are so many who do just this.

The GT6 section is turning GTP, all the general discussion, all the helpfulness and friendliness I remember from just a few years back when I was scanning through the forums after discovering it, into something that goes against what GTPlanet was set up to do. All the rules we have, the non-stop hard work on the site from everyone involved running it who do the most incredible job of any forum I've ever come across on the internet, feels like it's going to waste when we have one side - arguably the most important side, the one the whole community was founded upon - falling into a trap of bad attitudes, and incessant whinging and trolling.

I am not saying don't criticise where needs be. It's vital in good discussion. Whilst I feel GT6 is a fantastic game, I understand that a lot are not satisfied with a lot of the things it offers. That's fine by me. I too feel that the GT series could be even greater. It's just I don't feel the need to attack every thread that comes up with nonsense, and watch valid compliments get drowned in a wave of incessant misery.

The GT6 section, as well as certain parts of it in particular, has become a laughing stock to other parts of the community. It's viewed as the joke part of the site, the place where everything this community doesn't stand for comes to fester. We have some amazing threads, people and attitudes buried in there, but the problem is they're being buried. With our current rate of regression, we're going to see them get buried further. If only people could step back, and see what remarks are being made about the current state of this section, it may just put it out there to them that change needs to happen. It's sad this has to be said. It's sad that we have to joke around with a "brain cell loss" warning. But it's a sad truth.

I made a pact to never go in the areas of discussion again, because they spiral into cringe worthiness at best. I came back to see if some attitudes had changed, but it's the same old stuff. Personally, GTP has a fantastic image because of the incredible community it is. That is why we have an influx of new members. I just feel as though around half of those members will have signed up to do the "lol pd ur crap BroKEn promi ses all the fanboys keep defending kaz" dance all over the comments, and threads, and status updates, and so on and so forth. I also don't want this to be the general image we're giving out to new members who'd like to contribute sensibly, who have great things to give.

Consider my rant over. I know this'll probably get brushed past, ignored by many who it targets, but it's a collective of the viewpoints of mine and a large percentage of other people. I speak on behalf of them on this, in saying - just give it some thought please.

You win life.

Back