Kaz-"...single hit your car isin't going to be able to be driven anymore" YAY or NO?

• Thread starter Kryz11
  • 155 comments

Your GT5's damage setting.

• Total voters
how many cars will this be for. the whole car list or just a couple

I do not know.. Maybe for all? It just maybe all race cars will be more for visual eye candy over street cars where you see only scratches and bumpers off and what not, but both types might have one hit end-ers.

Random question: do you think that PD is taking these 6 months to add damage to all 900 some-odd cars? I am thinking of it because Kaz talked about finding a way to implement real time damage relatively easily, so maybe they can put it in all the cars... I would like to see what it would be like to trash my car (Datsun 510), without actually crashing my car... well, I can use Forza for that for now (actually from Christmas), but I can't wait for GT5.

if i was doing boring races to get money then i would probably have it low however if i was online i would have it one hit = out because it would help me when karting to anticipate and take the right action to avoid them. ( i so hope gt5 has go karts)

what if they also have the rewind function(like grid), you wreck you rewind till before the crash you hopefully don't crash again.

I want Grid style. One of the most realistic damage presentation I've ever seen.

That was really done brilliantly by the Codies - high stakes in every races, and to balance gameplay the rewind feature had its justification and the number of rewinds was tied to the difficulty setting. Bring it on :D

Im going for full on damage option, just hope A.I. has same level of damage too.

As for the enduros, hmmmm, i could take it if i messed up, but what if good `ol B-spec Bob does the stuffing up for you!!

...Kaz you're THE MAN!

...if your consider the risk of driving so fast in a turn, you eventually will pay more attention and be more carefull...

Very good news! Seems like GT5 is going to be the best racing game ever!

I agree!:)
It's great that PD has made it adjustable, that way they can make GT5 appeal to everyone, from general people wanting to go for a blast, to serious driver's wanting maximum realism!:D:tup:
This is great news!
Rusty*

I'd say allow the damage to be as realistic (total your car relatively easy), but a rewind feature would be nice. Say I'm in an enduro, I'd like to be able to take minor hits that just screw up your aero or something minor. Suspension out of alignment, pulling to one side, or a busted suspension component. Whatever. But I don't want to be in some hours long race, make some stupid mistake and total the care and have to restart. Or when a stupid AI move is the fault of the crash.

But before you think, "Well why not just have medium damage then so that can't happen?", I'd still want all of the minor bumps to cause the most realistic level of damage.

Damage is most important in an online race, since you don't have the option to just pause and hit restart (or rewind). You're almost guaranteed to lose from a wreck, but if its a long race and/or other people took a lot of damage also, there's the potential for a good battle for the last/middle positions still.

-> I didn't vote, because I'd rather have a variable settings for different types of players/drivers that I will be playing with. Especially with punters. :indiff:

Yep, I'm all for "one big hit and it's all over", as long as it's an option. At the end of the day, for me, gaming is a pastime that I like to actually have fun with. Racing for 20 minutes and then crashing out completely because of one small mistake is not really much fun, is it? Different stokes for different folks I guess...

-> I didn't vote, because I'd rather have a variable settings for different types of players/drivers that I will be playing with. Especially with punters. :indiff:
It is possible to have such a feature AND have it variable you know...

Last edited:
I think when they mean single hit, they mean car crashing at considerable velocity into something else. When I have an upset, usually if I do contact anything else it would be quite soft because of my best attempts to slow down or avoid.

I'm not talking myself up (or at least not trying to) but this comes around by knowing the ins and outs of the physics as good as possible...unlike me an Shift. I am unable, thus far, to do a 10/10ths lap of the n-ring in my new Zonda R for instance.

I say bring it on. It would probably be disabled in online events...but I'd love this option. It'd make you think twice about pulling that daring and unrealistic move. :D

It'd make you think twice about pulling that daring and unrealistic move. :D
Only once, because after that almost everybody would get too frustrated with it and just put the damage back to "oooh, doesn't that look pretty?" mode.

I'd rather have it locked to full damage only, in all modes and consequences for it all.

It probably won't happen but..
The only reason I would want to see it in the game is if it made you pay the consequences after the race. Pay to repair your car, if you write it off you can't repair it, buy a new one, and Damage mandatory in EVERY game mode, be it Practice runs, Time Trials, Enduro, Series etc etc. It has to punish you for making a mistake and you have to pay for it every time or it would defeat the purpose, you can just hit Restart and try again. Don't just take it out of your winning credits either, take it out of your total balance, you can go into debt, you can effectively lose GT Career mode. Thats what I would want to see from damage in GT5

if u going to have damage in such amazing game then u must do it properly. so it is like to it like it supposed to be (as real as possible) or dont do it (like up GT4).
so im for one big hit and race over, with option that u can disable it or tweak few options (like off, medium affection and full) to please all sort of players. so full option damage will definitely please more advanced players thirst or real challenge, and also AI will must be more advanced to also race clean as possible and also sometimes to make mistakes. racing in online with full damage will also be more justiced and 'destruction derby' players will not do that 'kamikaze' moves and so on...

P.S. cant wait for gt5!

I voted for the first option, i can't wait to see what happens in the rally races & Nascar ovals like multiple pile ups etc.

I'm happy to have it ending a race with one (big enough) accident. Part of the problem for me with previous Gran Turismos was that due to no damage being present it was always too tempting to dive inside of a car in front, whilst going into a corner, and effectively forcing them wide by bashing panels. With more realistic damage this would be a no, no. As ever it should be an option for those who don't want such realism!

1 big hit- since I will never able to go into a real-life race, I must make it as realistic as possible- as if I'm behind the wheel. Even in the 24H of Nurburgring! :scared:

But I'm not expecting GT6 for awhile, so I will milk GT5 for all of its worth. If I crash 20 hours into the race, so be it, I will have to restart. That in my opinion, will be the true spirit of our new Gran Turismo. 👍

Last edited:
Why it allways have to be yes or no; just give us alternatives!!

So what is there to the alternative? I basically gave 4 options, the most common ones. PD might include a slider from 0-10 or 0-100%, because I really can not think of any other alternatives they can give us.

I meant my comment to title and kaz, for him yo wonder how realisticly should damage be implemented. So i think kaz should not be worried how to setup damage; let the player worry about that.

Usually i have put full damage on my games as it has not been too difficult or realistic for my skills.

What about transmission damage? Like losing a gear or braking the clutch, that'd be awesome.

I answered the poll yesterday and voted for full damage in all modes but, will the damage model be restricted to collisions? It would be very funny to have transmission damage like the guy above mentioned, and what about overheating your ride if you just put a t4 turbokit and forget the intercooler or a more eficient cooling system? If this is in the game, you will have to be aware of your engine temperature and maybe drive to save engine rpm and keep the temperature at a regular pace, so your make a pit stop and they clean your radiator grills and then you can push your ride to the limit again..This would take the experience to a new dimension...

Last edited:
Back