Kaz-"...single hit your car isin't going to be able to be driven anymore" YAY or NO?

• Thread starter Kryz11
  • 155 comments

Your GT5's damage setting.

• Total voters
I think simple crash physics is what we want, scrapes when you grind against a wall, dents when you rear end the car infront and crabbing to the line when you spin into a wall.

Having damage, weather and online play gives much more scope for improvement in GT6. I see these things will be developed most and become a major part of the series.

I know I shouldn't mention GT6 but with new features means the improvement come thick and hopefully fast in future releases.

The way I drive? I think I'll set it on low/light. :sly: I have enough problems with shortcut penalties and sliding into the sand.

As its the basis for this thread...

Where can I actually read the new game informer interview without buying the magazine (which is tricky to get just now)? Google only found me seemingly dead links to a news item here on GTP (which doesn't seem to be up anymore strangely), and some other site seemed promising, but their site has exceeded it's bandwidth.

Link to the full interview anyone?

I wouldn't mind big, race ending damage if I had the ability to rewind from it. Past that, I'll just take cosmetic stuff.

I answered the poll yesterday and voted for full damage in all modes but, will the damage model be restricted to collisions? It would be very funny to have transmission damage like the guy above mentioned, and what about overheating your ride if you just put a t4 turbokit and forget the intercooler or a more eficient cooling system? If this is in the game, you will have to be aware of your engine temperature and maybe drive to save engine rpm and keep the temperature at a regular pace, so your make a pit stop and they clean your radiator grills and then you can push your ride to the limit again..This would take the experience to a new dimension...

I think every true racing fan dreams of the day that GT includes all of this. Having to keep an eye on engine temp and taking care of the brakes, etc, would be nothing short of awesome.

Obviously I voted full damage, so long as it is in proportion to the impact and takes into account the age of the car that you're driving (Modern cars shrug off impacts better, older cars tend to bend a lot more, etc)

Where can I actually read the new game informer interview without buying the magazine (which is tricky to get just now)? Google only found me seemingly dead links to a news item here on GTP (which doesn't seem to be up anymore strangely), and some other site seemed promising, but their site has exceeded it's bandwidth.

library?

If you need confirmation that it says it, it does.(I got it as well)

I answered the poll yesterday and voted for full damage in all modes but, will the damage model be restricted to collisions? It would be very funny to have transmission damage like the guy above mentioned, and what about overheating your ride if you just put a t4 turbokit and forget the intercooler or a more eficient cooling system? If this is in the game, you will have to be aware of your engine temperature and maybe drive to save engine rpm and keep the temperature at a regular pace, so your make a pit stop and they clean your radiator grills and then you can push your ride to the limit again..This would take the experience to a new dimension...

That would be so awesome that I can't describe really. I don't think they will go that far right now, but I hope some day I'll get to play a game like this.

It seems fair enough, really. And if there is a sensitivity option planned to be included than I don't see the problem either way.

Not the full interview, but it includes the quotes the OP is talking about: http://gameinformer.com/games/gran_turismo_5/b/ps3/archive/2009/09/30/preview.aspx. Go to page 2.

I wouldn't mind big, race ending damage if I had the ability to rewind from it. Past that, I'll just take cosmetic stuff.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having race ending damage.

End or face!

Seriously though, racing games have needed this option for the longest time - it's the most effective way of giving punters/bashers what they deserve.

Now, the real question is, do you have to spend your hard-earned Cr. to fix it between races/stages, or is it just magically gone? What a miserable pain it would be to have to shell out the cash to repair a bent frame on a Ferrari 599, for instance...

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having race ending damage.

Not really. Those who are against using rewind will have their race ended and they can restart or whatever. Those who aren't nearly as hardcore can just rewind and keep playing. Honestly if the game only had race ending damage without the ability to rewind I wouldn't even bother buying it. The frustration level would be too high and the entertainment value too low.

I choose medium, let's face it.. sometimes the AI cause accidents. In the game world, that may or may not be realistic [or fun], but it sure is frustrating.
I chose medium too. It depends on two things though. The realism of the damage, and how well the bots behave. If they drive as well as they do in Prologue, I'd be inclined to set it at full. The reason I don't race with full damage in other games like GTR Evo is because the bots have the intelligence of bugs. I was horrified to see them grinding through the first chicane of Monza like a swarm of roaches. Forza's bots are even worse, but then damage is about half what it is in other sims.

And then there's realism. Not every wreck will end a race in real life, so it depends on how authentic they can get it. But even then, in a series where you can't quit and start over, or an enduro, I'd be more likely to have it at medium to light, depending on how things go in regular races. After I beat it, then I'd be fine with full damage. Of course, that could take a couple of years or so. :lol:

Not really. Those who are against using rewind will have their race ended and they can restart or whatever. Those who aren't nearly as hardcore can just rewind and keep playing. Honestly if the game only had race ending damage without the ability to rewind I wouldn't even bother buying it. The frustration level would be too high and the entertainment value too low.
But surely if your interest is in using the rewind when you mess up, then you wouldn't choose race ending damage in the first place. There's no point. I'm not saying don't have rewind, I just don't see any point in someone only using race ending damage if there's rewind, it defeates the purpose. I'm perhaps reading too much into your comment.

And then there's realism. Not every wreck will end a race in real life, so it depends on how authentic they can get it. But even then, in a series where you can't quit and start over, or an enduro, I'd be more likely to have it at medium to light, depending on how things go in regular races. After I beat it, then I'd be fine with full damage. Of course, that could take a couple of years or so. :lol:

I thought race ending damage includes being realistic. A fender bender is not race ending, and never should be.

I ammend my opinion, I want one mistake to end LeMans for me if and only if the crash was big enough to do so in real life.

Seriously though, racing games have needed this option for the longest time - it's the most effective way of giving punters/bashers what they deserve.

It was hard enough in Forza 2 to have collisions on - damage was more often than not abused by the host (grid order set to rank or lobby points, and then all of a sudden realistic damage). So for multiplayer, only if it really is amongst the best of friends.

Concerning rewind and full damage: As I learned in Grid, taking risks becomes much more a real challenge if one is able to total the car. Rewind only saves having too much frustration, and was not available on the most difficult setting.

it depends whether that one big hit would be-in some areas you would probably be able to keep going but in others your race would be over!

Maybe GT Mode will have 3 settings from day 1, which coincide with the damage (if adjustable).

Basic: (aesthetic damage only), easier A.I.

Normal: (damage affects performance minimally), A.I is average.

Difficult: (full damage which can total cars completely) aggresive and precise A.I.

I chose "one hit end oR FACE" laughoutloud. Sorry. I'm tired of people saying gt's not a sim because its true. Gt has come from awsomeness to worrying only about graphics. I want everything to be as real as possible.

Maybe GT Mode will have 3 settings from day 1, which coincide with the damage (if adjustable).

Basic: (aesthetic damage only), easier A.I.

Normal: (damage affects performance minimally), A.I is average.

Difficult: (full damage which can total cars completely) aggresive and precise A.I.

I'd rather have damage and AI level independently adjustable. It's entirely possible for people to want easy AI but with full damage, or vice versa.

I'd rather have damage and AI level independently adjustable. It's entirely possible for people to want easy AI but with full damage, or vice versa.

So far in GT4 and GT5 Prologue, AI difficulty is separate from all the other options such as Physics, and traction controls. So I bet damage will have it's own option between traction and Physics.

Just going off topic, is it a good idea to adjust physics with the ability to modify cars ?.Wouldn't it be more fun, to have no compromise in driving physics.The real cars don't have adjustable physics.There is no tangible reason for adjusting physics, would take a hell of a long time to learn the abilities of each car so i don't see it as a useful option.

Have to be medium. The AI on some races are just too much of a handful to let them have a chance of knocking you out.

Edit* If Kaz. is going in this direction, I wonder if this "One hit & out" will apply to the AI, or worse, online? Last thing I want to encounter is someone fishtailing others into walls.

I agree, for me car physics should be set to Simulation 100% of the time.. but for casual drivers, they like to switch back to arcade and they never like to be challenged.
So just having an option for that keeps every fan happy.

I agree, for me car physics should be set to Simulation 100% of the time.. but for casual drivers, they like to switch back to arcade and they never like to be challenged.
So just having an option for that keeps every fan happy.

Then the casual players should go & buy an arcade racing game.

^^ Also a broken clutch master cylinder, meaning impossible gear changes for power assisted manual g'boxes.With a power assisted clutch, it can't engage in gear because the ps pump needs to work with the engine started & with the full use of the clutch master cylinder.

Last edited:
Then the casual players should go & buy an arcade racing game.

People are a little too fast when kicking casual players' asses. They are the reason why PD can spend 60 millions to make such an awesome game. I believe people around here should have a little more consideration for them.

Many said it already, all we need are options. Unfortunately Kaz apparently don't like options. Let's hope that changes and we see a lot of them in GT5.

Back