Kaz-"...single hit your car isin't going to be able to be driven anymore" YAY or NO?

• Thread starter Kryz11
  • 155 comments

Your GT5's damage setting.

• Total voters
The option to set every button on the controller seperately, rather than preset setups like in 80% of the other games we have now.

The option to set each measurement seperateley (for speed, power, torque, etc. - A lot of racing games give you metric/Imperial or no choice at all)

In arcade mode the option to change lap numbers, difficulty etc.

I would say GT4 was actually quite option heavy, the options menu was huge. It even gives to the option of whether to load the opening movie or not, which i havn't seen on any other console game - only pc games.

That interview hints there will be an optional level of damage.

Optional AI difficulty was in GT4 (it was a 1-10 scale). I hope it makes a comeback, for arcade mode.

The only things i can think of that reinforces your 'don't like options' theory is weather and rewind. But neither is confirmed. I bet both will be options if they are implemented into the game (well for GT mode, not weather - wet races are a part of real life)

You are right. GT4 surely was a good step towards more options. That seems to be growing even more with GT5P and the standard physics option. Thinking more about it, it looks like they are taking the option road and I can only be grateful.

Setting it at "No damage" would be just wasting the wonderful work done here by PD.

No it will not. If anything I rather it be like would be just like GT4/Tourist Trophy where where the race conditons can be adjusted to the player's needs.

If there's the ability to "rewind" as rumored, I'd put it on the maximum setting definitely. Then I could wreck Lamborghinis and Ferraris to my heart's content.

All I care about is a restart with damage. Then, it could be one hit blows up France for all I care. Makes Endurance races a little tricky for me, though.

I voted medium because I think that's the best compromise, if it's one hit then it's fine by me as well.

Anyone discuss, in the last 7 pages, how Kaz mentioned in a recent interview how you won't be able to render your car undriveable?

Had a vivid dream last night.
I was racing on Tokyo R246 with a Lamborghini Murcielago...during night...with rain that changed directions with the wind lol.
And the most important detail, my car was absoultely demolished upon impact with some kind of object I don't remember.

I say medium... but cars, if need repair, must be paid for after the race as a choice, not as a deduction from winnings.. have an option of purchasing insurance daily

I'm sure this has been said, but I don't think he meant adjustable damage.
I think his word "you" was referring to the GT team, as in "developers" can set it so one hit and you're done.
But I wouldn't be surprised to see options, at least between light and full, if there is no "off" option.

I'm sure this has been said, but I don't think he meant adjustable damage.
I think his word "you" was referring to the GT team, as in "developers" can set it so one hit and you're done.
But I wouldn't be surprised to see options, at least between light and full, if there is no "off" option.

I dont really think that. In all the other interviews, when he explains a feature, he says, "You can _______", and if he talks about what the team is doing, he says, "We _______".

I'd rather have it locked to full damage only, in all modes and consequences for it all.

It probably won't happen but..
The only reason I would want to see it in the game is if it made you pay the consequences after the race. Pay to repair your car, if you write it off you can't repair it, buy a new one, and Damage mandatory in EVERY game mode, be it Practice runs, Time Trials, Enduro, Series etc etc. It has to punish you for making a mistake and you have to pay for it every time or it would defeat the purpose, you can just hit Restart and try again. Don't just take it out of your winning credits either, take it out of your total balance, you can go into debt, you can effectively lose GT Career mode. Thats what I would want to see from damage in GT5

YESSSSS some1 who thinks like me!!! I used to play Sportscar GT from the late 90s. It didnt really have damage modeling (all you'd see is scuff marks) but I definitely remember crashing BIG in some long races and having my race end there and then. And guess what, I'd just have to start over the race. Yes I did have to take a hit in my points ranking and you know what? ... I LOVED that game. Made things alot more interesting.

Can't remember if I had to pay for the repairs but they definitely had to be made. And i'm really liking the idea of having to shell out cash to pay to fix up my ride. Terrific idea. I'd love for GT5 to move in this direction.

You take a big hit, you're out. I'm ALL for that.

YESSSSS some1 who thinks like me!!! I used to play Sportscar GT from the late 90s. It didnt really have damage modeling (all you'd see is scuff marks) but I definitely remember crashing BIG in some long races and having my race end there and then. And guess what, I'd just have to start over the race. Yes I did have to take a hit in my points ranking and you know what? ... I LOVED that game. Made things alot more interesting.

Can't remember if I had to pay for the repairs but they definitely had to be made. And i'm really liking the idea of having to shell out cash to pay to fix up my ride. Terrific idea. I'd love for GT5 to move in this direction.

You take a big hit, you're out. I'm ALL for that.

I'm thinking of people doing online races and after a collision having to limp their way gingerly round the track just to pick up a vital few credits to get the car straightened out again. 👍

One big hit, end of race.

However, if the engine is still on and the car can physically move, I'd like the option to carry on and pit for repairs. Your car won't be the same, but at least you'd be able to try and carry on and scrape up some points.

Especially during endurance races.

If we get full damage there's one thing to think about: wheter the AI can destroy themselves on the tracks, so we can technically have a situation of an endurance finished by five or four cars, because the AI was simulating a jiu-jitsu fight on the track.

I'm thinking of people doing online races and after a collision having to limp their way gingerly round the track just to pick up a vital few credits to get the car straightened out again. 👍

Agreed, the same applies to the AI destroying it's cars like I mentioned above, several cars heading at 20mph to the pits, in nurburgring it would be ridiculous...

So far I am really impressed with how the POLL is going. over 77% voted for FULL one big hit damage while less then 23% voted less damage!

If PD sees this thread.. it basically means 7/10 GT fans want realistic enough damage to end a race in ONE BIG HIT, so they might implement it right in GT5 (along with an options for light-er damages). Thanks for voting guys!

Last edited:
If we get full damage there's one thing to think about: wheter the AI can destroy themselves on the tracks, so we can technically have a situation of an endurance finished by five or four cars, because the AI was simulating a jiu-jitsu fight on the track.

If the AI could destroy themselves, I'm thinking you wouldn't have to finish any city course enduro. With the current standards of AI in racing games (I'm thinking of both GT and Forza), none of your opponents would last long without doing themselves in at some point. They'd have chance on racing circuits with the wide run off areas and all. Still, it'd be carnage in the first corner of the race. :lol:

Lets look at the damage mentioned, and see how it could affect the car.

'bent suspension arm' = springs (cornering ability, steering)
'tires hitting the wheel wells of a car' = tyre wear (frequency of pit stops, traction)
'deformation of the body affecting alignment' = body rigidity (handling)
'the loss of power to the engine' = HP (max speed and acceleration)

If these damage types actually can be separately affected in different ways by different types of hits, then this going to give us a wide variety of performance modifiers.

I think this sounds very promising.

I just got copy of GAME INFORMER and some new GT5 info about damage and bit of exact words from Kaz..

Kaz mentions you will be able to bend suspension arms, tires hitting the wheel wells of cars, and deformation of the body affection alignment. (so GT4s alignment fix option will be even greater in GT5!) as well engine power loss! And one hit to end a race!
On top of that seems that there will be a setting for damage sensitivity, so I think you can turn it On to mid, to high to realistic..

Here is exact KAZ's quote

Will you set the settings to ONE big hit end of race?
Medium damage settings (FM3 style)
Light (NFS arcade styel damage)
NO Damage ( GT4 style )

You can read the article right here

As long as they have options I will switch between all of them from time to time. However, I think I will stick with realistic damage for most of the time.

Wow! the pure awesomeness of having game options!!!

over 77% voted for FULL one big hit damage while less then 33% voted less damage!
You need to work on your maths. 77+33=110. Are you trying to say either 23% for less damage or 67% for full damage?

Back