Kaz-"...single hit your car isin't going to be able to be driven anymore" YAY or NO?

• Thread starter Kryz11
  • 155 comments

Your GT5's damage setting.

• Total voters
But adjusting the physics could render cars impossible to drive.I thought arcade mode in GT is for light hearted fun, without the seriousness of earning credits.I think casual players would still drive with real physics & have more fun performing donuts & sliding around bends or what have you.

Then the casual players should go & buy an arcade racing game.
Why should casual players miss out on GT5 just because they have a life beyond their games console? The vast majority of people who buy GT5 are going to be "casual players", so I hardly think that Kaz would alienate them all just to keep people like you happy.

If you want to team up online with groups of other like-minded individuals out to compare the size of their manhood, knock yourself out...

But adjusting the physics could render cars impossible to drive.I thought arcade mode in GT is for light hearted fun, without the seriousness of earning credits.I think casual players would still drive with real physics & have more fun performing donuts & sliding around bends or what have you.

Well I'm in no way implying that the game should be stripped down to be more 'casual player friendly'. I just wanted to point out that the casuals play an important role in the GT world and that people shouldn't be so quick to cast them out. We have to learn how to live with the punters/bashers because without them there would be no GT :lol:

I'm not saying they should miss out on GT5, i was saying with simple physics they might as well buy Outrun, GTI Club + or another of similar nature with licensed cars.

Many said it already, all we need are options. Unfortunately Kaz apparently don't like options. Let's hope that changes and we see a lot of them in GT5.

The option to set every button on the controller seperately, rather than preset setups like in 80% of the other games we have now.

The option to set each measurement seperateley (for speed, power, torque, etc. - A lot of racing games give you metric/Imperial or no choice at all)

In arcade mode the option to change lap numbers, difficulty etc.

I would say GT4 was actually quite option heavy, the options menu was huge. It even gives to the option of whether to load the opening movie or not, which i havn't seen on any other console game - only pc games.

That interview hints there will be an optional level of damage.

Optional AI difficulty was in GT4 (it was a 1-10 scale). I hope it makes a comeback, for arcade mode.

The only things i can think of that reinforces your 'don't like options' theory is weather and rewind. But neither is confirmed. I bet both will be options if they are implemented into the game (well for GT mode, not weather - wet races are a part of real life)

Medium. Sure "one big hit and you're finished" is more realistic. That's fine for individual races, but I'm willing to bet that most of you out there will turn in down for endurance events or long championships.

I could see it now: leading 23 hours into Le Mans when all of a sudden a lapped car crashes into me, ending my race. How on earth is that "fun"???

I could see it now: leading 23 hours into Le Mans when all of a sudden a lapped car crashes into me, ending my race. How on earth is that "fun"???

Another reason why many are asking for better AI.

But the AI can never really be as perfect as we want it to be. If the AI gets 'better' it will get to a point where they move out the way to let you pass and... Thats not racing.

I went for Medium for this crap. I still have no faith in damage until guarantee the AI can actually drive.

Regards,
Jetboy

But the AI can never really be as perfect as we want it to be. If the AI gets 'better' it will get to a point where they move out the way to let you pass and... Thats not racing.

PD could do what EA used to do with the old Nascar games, which is, they make every car slightly aggressive, but not to nice. But if you hit a guy, he develops a personal hatred for you and will become more aggressive around you or even try to wreck you back(depending on how brutally you thrashed him). The same goes for being nice to a guy and giving him room, he'll like you for it, and return the favor.

Unless PD could somehow include attributes of each driver, like you have in Fifa games or maybe the Championship Manager series.

This would be awesome. Talk about realism. I never cared much for damage since it was never at any kind of realistic level, but this could be cool. As long as the AI doesn't do incredibly stupid things. But hey, that's racing, you're not always at fault.

PD could do what EA used to do with the old Nascar games, which is, they make every car slightly aggressive, but not to nice. But if you hit a guy, he develops a personal hatred for you and will become more aggressive around you or even try to wreck you back(depending on how brutally you thrashed him). The same goes for being nice to a guy and giving him room, he'll like you for it, and return the favor.

I like your idea, but lets just wait and see what Kaz does.

I rather one hit, end the race, more of a challenge and i can learn way better from my mistakes thus getting better each time.

:dopey:

I think some sort damage customization is only a nature step in including a damage system. Personally I think the lvl of damage should be in relation to the physics level. (In GT mode) So if you want to move up to professional physics you will have to have damage on in some form. But if you are just a casual racer and roll on standard physics then damage should be minimal/none. For arcade and online mode you would be able to choose varying levels of damage.

Really all I want is if the Ai f's around they should pay the price just as much as if I f around. Unpredictability without constant chaos.

Look at GTR2, if you set the AI aggressiveness low (not the "skill" but the aggression level, which GTR2 allowed you to adjust separately), the AI would pretty much always give you plenty of space. If you had a crash with the AI set to timid, it was pretty much always your fault.

That's not better AI at all, just easier. Better AI would hold their line unless the car behind has created sufficient overlap and is taking the inside of a corner, in which case they should leave room. That's what is expected from human drivers online and drivers in real life, so that's what the AI should be like too.

What we don't want to see is AI that stick to their line even if you as overtaking driver clearly hold the right to use the inside of a corner. Or AI that's just rubbish at anticipating a braking driver ahead and punt you off the track. We want a fair AI, but still a competitive one of course.

IMO the level of damage should increase along with the level of difficulty. Pro physics should have the 'single car hit' level of damage, Standard would have a lesser threshold.

IMO the level of damage should increase along with the level of difficulty. Pro physics should have the 'single car hit' level of damage, Standard would have a lesser threshold.

Nah, more customizable options is better. If someone wants to drive at a more casual level than Professional and still 'enjoy' the sense of punishment if they make a mistake, why not let them? Conversely, if the AI isn't at the required level and you want to drive with Professional physics, it could be needlessly frutrating if the damage level is linked to the difficulty. Or forget AI, just think about a public race online. It would be terrible.

Let's just keep all the options open.

Nah, more customizable options is better. If someone wants to drive at a more casual level than Professional and still 'enjoy' the sense of punishment if they make a mistake, why not let them? Conversely, if the AI isn't at the required level and you want to drive with Professional physics, it could be needlessly frutrating if the damage level is linked to the difficulty. Or forget AI, just think about a public race online. It would be terrible.

Let's just keep all the options open.

I'm not saying the options should be set in stone, i'm all for as many changeable parameters as possible 👍

I was really refering to the online side of things.

Real time A.i. probably is still in development for games other than the strategy variety.I'd want this really, but would make the PS3 work quite hard.It'd be the PS3s first chance to strut it's moves.

Sorry to go of topic but, if the makers of Grand Prix 4 had successful AI in their game. I am sure PD with the resources it has can also try to better the AI in GT5.

I Voted for Single hit or Race over deal, because it will stop punters from crashing into everybody on the track, and also make all of us clean racers.

You guys must have no faith in online. I want the big damage specifically for multiplayer, where it will probably be much less of an annoyance given the abilities of recent AI. I don't think PD will leave us with Prologue like online.

You guys must have no faith in online. I want the big damage specifically for multiplayer, where it will probably be much less of an annoyance given the abilities of recent AI. I don't think PD will leave us with Prologue like online.

It's not that, offline is just a huge component of a GT game. GT mode and hopefully a return of the Driving Missions is where I expect to do the bulk of my GT5 gaming. So AI is still very important.

I voted for a FULL hit to end the race. Its important for a sim, to simulate those conditions.

One Big Hit, and it's the end of it...
with the option to turn on or off... and set a level....

maybe i am asking for much :P

I do not think this is asking for much. I think this should be a standard on how intense or how minimal each player wants damage. Heck some people like one hit, some don't. So you are asking just right 👍

If i'm correct, I saw here something that makes me say this: YES and NO
well, if I make 1 hit, it can be a strong or a tiny hit. I don't want to hit a wall at 200KM/h and still go on, but also I dont want to give a slightly scratch and go off the race.

Nope. Not too much to ask in my opinion. I also voted one big hit = one big loss. I would love to see this mandatory for some profesional races online though.

It's not that, offline is just a huge component of a GT game. GT mode and hopefully a return of the Driving Missions is where I expect to do the bulk of my GT5 gaming. So AI is still very important.

I realize that GT mode is popular. I was referring to people saying big damage will be more of an online problem, rather than offline. My experience seems to indicate that online is less of a worry, as the cars around you make an effort not to crash. And this is in GT5P (though it's at a time when hardly anyone plays anymore, especially the rammers) without private/user created rooms.

I don't really care what damage you all run. As long as there's some kind of setting so I can switch my damage to 'visible only' I'm happy. And I say this because as soon as I go online, somebody's going to hit me in the first corner, or the last one. I'll really only want to participate in online games without damage. Offline I'll probably opt something light if any.

really only a couple segments of people will really want realistic damage. A small sliver that don't hit anything anyhow, so what's the point? (Granted that group is probably a bit over-represented in here.) The other group is the punks online trying to 'take everybody out.' As long as the game has a setting for it, gt will fill that magic checkblock.

one thing I'm really not for is tying it to the physics model as seems to be widely suggested. Firstly there should only be one physics model to start with. but since we currently have two, and the full game may keep both, let's not heap the requirement of brutally harsh damage on to somebody who just wants to get behind the wheel of something that feels like a car. I believe the creation of a drastic learning curve between the have's and have-not's is a bit counter to gt's vision.

Last edited:
Back