Kazunori Yamauchi Monaco Interview Part 2: Expectations, Improvements, and a Slice of Luck

When I read interviews like this and follow the events I can't come around beeing really glad that Kaz did the change to focusing on online competition by developing a sportmode. He could've instead just continue the old path, where the quality of each GT-part was reduced to having more cars& tracks and better graphics then the previous one, but where would the thrill be?

One point makes me sad about it is he obviously wants to have short streams. Well, imo they should really not be less then 2 and a half hours.

there’s lots and lots of small pieces to the puzzle and so many little things that we can improve. So we have this massive, massive to-do list that we need to check off one at a time. It just goes on forever!

Sounds like the state of my IT department at work. Awesome.

“If Lewis and his team hadn’t contacted us to start this project, I don’t think it would have happened. It really has a lot to do with luck; we didn’t know until he came to us that he played Gran Turismo a lot as a kid,” notes Yamauchi."

PD really is the most prestigious game developers working today huh?

Last edited:
It's pretty much the exact opposite of that.

Maybe I wasn't accurate enough. I didn't meant what he personally wants. But, in the end he decides the size of the stream. Of course its due to several reasons like the money factor and/ or maybe they predict that if its 4 hours then the viewer will lose his interest or other factors they are probably not known to the outside. But in the end he couldv'e kept it like the previous events before the finals if he really wanted to, or at least shortened it to 3 hours. But 2 hours felt way to short, for me at least.

“If Lewis and his team hadn’t contacted us to start this project, I don’t think it would have happened. It really has a lot to do with luck; we didn’t know until he came to us that he played Gran Turismo a lot as a kid,” notes Yamauchi."

PD really is the most prestigious game development working today huh?
When you really think about, Gran Turismo is the only reason for a lot of things. The Evo for example, they didn’t start selling it in the US until we started begging for it - and that was because it was so badass in Gran Turismo. It’s the same for a lot of other manufacturers.

It is exciting to see where Gran Turismo goes in esports. As a fan since day one it is the next stage in my love story with the series.

Can we expect an interview about the future of GT? (non eSport related)
Such interviews are pointless as you get politicians answers where they give a response which dances round the question.

Ask him why the TS050 Hybrid, which is Le Mans spec, only has a 6-speed gearbox as opposed to the 7-speed it should.

PD really is the most prestigious game developers working today huh?
I thought it had been the opposite! Wow PD! :cheers:

Lets me hope for a 2019 of developments, but the interview is completely based on online races, so I expect improvements on the online races. Anyway, still hope one day we’ll have some not online could give a game more importance...

Can we expect an interview about the future of GT? (non eSport related)

There was one recently where Kaz said he wanted the future of GT to blend GTSPORTs multiplayer with the classic single player campaign

Lets me hope for a 2019 of developments, but the interview is completely based on online races, so I expect improvements on the online races. Anyway, still hope one day we’ll have some not online could give a game more importance...

GTSport IS focused on multiplayer that's something that need to be understood,the game only saves when you're online and when servers go down so goes your GT League completed races.I think it's difficult to give importance to something that is a extra to the game instead of the main focus.

I wonder why you always ask such boring stuff.

You know very well the complaints about the daily gift which you can´t sell and often get duplicates.

Why you don´t ask him about that?

And what about DLC cars costing 20 million CR ingame.
You could have asked about free for all in first weeks or at least a cup to earn them.

Always these missed chances in your interviews.

I often have the impression that THEY tell you in advance what you can ask them.

why you always ask ... Why you don´t ask ... You could have asked
We're at an GT Sport FIA event. The questions are thus about the GT Sport FIA competition.
I often have the impression that THEY tell you in advance what you can ask them.
We've never been instructed what questions to ask, and we've never had our questions vetted in advance. But there's no surer way to get a question - and possibly an entire interview, along with future interviews - shut down than asking about things not relevant to the topic at hand because some guy on a forum somewhere wants to know something.

Sometimes the angle of our question elicits a response outside the scope of the interview, sometimes it doesn't. Them's the breaks.

Even so, we didn't hear from you before the event with questions you'd like us to ask, so it's a bit difficult to ask exactly what you want us to ask. If you want to ask your own questions then please, by all means, become accredited media and ask away.

I asked them a million times on facebook & twitter but no response at all.

In terms of communication with fans Polyphony is still set in the stoneage.

But maybe you can consider my questions for next time.

And its an open secret that some (not all of course) accredited media get in advance
a list of question they are allowed to ask.

It is exciting to see where Gran Turismo goes in esports. As a fan since day one it is the next stage in my love story with the series.

Such interviews are pointless as you get politicians answers where they give a response which dances round the question.

Ask him why the TS050 Hybrid, which is Le Mans spec, only has a 6-speed gearbox as opposed to the 7-speed it should.
I remember them saying that it's got the 6 speed because they made an emphasis on the record set in that car on the nurb gp circuit. The used a 6 speed on that track and at the time la sarthe wasn't in the game.

Last edited:
There was one recently where Kaz said he wanted the future of GT to blend GTSPORTs multiplayer with the classic single player campaign
I'm just a casual player who wants to know what's next? I will never be a FIA champion, and even if the eSport aspect is a succes, I'd like to know if this gen I will be able to put a spoiler on a car or expect any classic track from GT. As I've already said: I think they work on the next GT probably on PS5.

A year later, the core of GTSport is still the same: no HUD options (fuel warning :mad:), camera options like a true bonnet view or dash cam, obviously no weather conditions. I still can't race at Le Mans by night. The best 3d models but no "forzavista" mode. And so on. Adding more tracks and cars is cool but won't change anything gameplay wise. Where are the clubs? https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-114/
I can understand Poly, they can't say we are working at full steam on the next GT but the absence of novelty each update gives me that feeling.

I asked them a million times on facebook & twitter but no response at all.
You're not likely to either.
But maybe you can consider my questions for next time.
Maybe, but if the event is not a broader Gran Turismo event, it's not likely that questions about game mechanics will be strictly on-topic. That's not to say they can't be made to be on-topic...
And its an open secret that some (not all of course) accredited media get in advance a list of question they are allowed to ask.
In our experience that's simply not true of Sony/Polyphony Digital, and any media that's worth reading would refuse the interview on that basis. I would never agree to interview someone with pre-agreed questions.

I'm just a casual player who wants to know what's next? I will never be a FIA champion, and even if the eSport aspect is a succes, I'd like to know if this gen I will be able to put a spoiler on a car or expect any classic track from GT. As I've already said: I think they work on the next GT probably on PS5.

A year later, the core of GTSport is still the same: no HUD options (fuel warning :mad:), camera options like a true bonnet view or dash cam, obviously no weather conditions. I still can't race at Le Mans by night. The best 3d models but no "forzavista" mode. And so on. Adding more tracks and cars is cool but won't change anything gameplay wise. Where are the clubs? https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-114/
I can understand Poly, they can't say we are working at full steam on the next GT but the absence of novelty each update gives me that feeling.

Next GT is 100% next gen,gone are the days PD could put out 2 games in 2 to 3 years.But following the things Kaz said about the next GT i'm confident it will have the structure people miss and probably the option to save offline.

And i don't agree PD is wokring on next GT they are busy as hell with GTSport,working on those 10 cars for each month isn't a easy task.

Next GT is 100% next gen,gone are the days PD could put out 2 games in 2 to 3 years.But following the things Kaz said about the next GT i'm confident it will have the structure people miss and probably the option to save offline.

And i don't agree PD is wokring on next GT they are busy as hell with GTSport,working on those 10 cars for each month isn't a easy task.
To be honest the next GT is probably a year or more into development. Likewise they’re probably working on 100 plus cars at any given time with us getting a select few for GT Sport.

The next GT is all about content and game structure (online & traditional single-player). On a technical level much will be carried over and they’ll be learning on the job, as it where, with GT Sport.

These 10 cars are not wasted for the next GT. After 12 months, what's new in terms of features? I'm not 100% sure but it must be decals on race suit and helmet.

A genuine question to Mr Kaz would be: how much you will go on develop GTS? New gen of games as GTA V could have a long life if well supported.

To be honest the next GT is probably a year or more into development.

I do believe it's in early pitching stages but full on development?PD isn't big enough to work on a brand new GT and GT Sport at the same time,when the time comes for a new GT all of PD staff will work on that.

These 10 cars are not wasted for the next GT. After 12 months, what's new in terms of features? I'm not 100% sure but it must be decals on race suit and helmet.

I don't think you can ignore the tracks and cars,not to mention all the penalty changes and tire physics updates.There are not many features outside of Sport Mode but Sport Mode had alot of updates.

A genuine question to Mr Kaz would be: how much you will go on develop GTS? New gen of games as GTA V could have a long life if well supported.

This is 100% my guess,if PS5 has backwards compatibility i think PD will keep working on GT Sport just like usual and when GT7 comes players can transfer their GTSport progress.And PS5 Backwards Compatibility is expected so it's very possible that could happen.

Now if that doesn't happen PD could release a GT Sport Remastered.I don't believe they will drop the game and go radio silent till GT7 is revealed,the FIA Live Events will go on(if everything goes to plan),they need a game to support the live events.

Last edited:
I do believe it's in early pitching stages but full on development?PD isn't big enough to work on a brand new GT and GT Sport at the same time,when the time comes for a new GT all of PD staff will work on that.

I don't think you can ignore the tracks and cars,not to mention all the penalty changes and tire physics updates.There are not many features outside of Sport Mode but Sport Mode had alot of updates.

This is 100% my guess,if PS5 has backwards compatibility i think PD will keep working on GT Sport just like usual and when GT7 comes players can transfer their GTSport progress.And PS5 Backwards Compatibility is expected so it's very possible that could happen.

Now if that doesn't happen PD could release a GT Sport Remastered.I don't believe they will drop the game and go radio silent till GT7 is revealed,the FIA Live Events will go on(if everything goes to plan),they need a game to support the live events.
I read it as "what" is new to the franchise. Tracks and cars are a given. Something completely NEW to Gran Turismo, are indeed stickers to helmets and suits.

Esports as a name, is new, but we've already had online racing in past GT games.

I do believe it's in early pitching stages but full on development?PD isn't big enough to work on a brand new GT and GT Sport at the same time,when the time comes for a new GT all of PD staff will work on that
Well, that sort of pitching tends to happen before the latest title is even released. Given, like a sports game, GT is an iterative franchise. I doubt they’ve ever let up in the rate of modelling cars & tracks. But as I say, we’ll just be getting a fraction of their output. Given many of those DLC cars have their origins in GT6, much of the newer stuff, is probably being held back.

You're not likely to either.

Maybe, but if the event is not a broader Gran Turismo event, it's not likely that questions about game mechanics will be strictly on-topic. That's not to say they can't be made to be on-topic...

In our experience that's simply not true of Sony/Polyphony Digital, and any media that's worth reading would refuse the interview on that basis. I would never agree to interview someone with pre-agreed questions.

Glad to hear that.
Then I just hope there will be a situatioj where you can discuss this aspect.

Over 10 years ago I worked for a german online game magazine and we actually got emails in advance of interviews about the „do“ and „don‘t“ ask questions.

But I am reliefed things are different here.

And yes we also refused such nterviews back then because we hated that kind of censorship.

Who said people wouldn't like to watch a 5 hour stream?
Since the livestreams are saved and uploaded on YouTube after they end, this means everyone would be able to cover everything they missed!
Or watch the stream in parts whenever they can.

Back