Kei Central

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 817 comments
Not exactly a Kei car, but does anyone know anything about this? It's a Shin Aichi Giant. The specs are it's a 6-passenger 19hp @ 3,600 rpm 3-speed + reverse, shaft-drive, 636cc single-cylinder coach riding on 3 16" wheels built by the Aichi Airplane Co. I can't find out how many were made, or if any still exist. This is the only photo of it I can find.

Subaru Vivio RX-R
idler_games_17_dino_dalle_carbonare_63-1200x800.jpg

idler_games_17_dino_dalle_carbonare_64-1200x800.jpg

:drool:

That's just making my want for a Vivio RX-R, or just a Vivio full stop, even stronger.

1970s Mazda Chantez- powered by a 2 cylinder, 2 stroke engine, which was fairly unusual for the time.

7s_day_2017_dino_dalle_carbonare_52-1200x800.jpg

7s_day_2017_dino_dalle_carbonare_55-1200x800.jpg

I wonder if these flares are common for these cars or if its just a fender flared coincidence, but it looks pretty similar to RE-Amemiya's from WAAAAAAAAY back when. Maybe it is the same car, and its still alive and kicking.

Also, Super GReddy II in the background of pic 1. :drool:

Been razzing around in the new (not-a-kei) Suzuki Ignis for the last few days and it's reminded me how much fun genuinely small cars can be. Really liberating driving something that actually seems to fit on our roads, when everything else feels like it's squeezing between the lines and you're desperately trying to avoid kerbing a massive alloy wheel. Great interior too, feels a bit flimsy in places but it's bright, colourful and modern.

Makes me wish a few of Suzuki's actual kei cars had made it to the UK though.

58345d1449523030-fs-1990-suzuki-alto-works-rs-051a.jpg

58361d1449523177-fs-1990-suzuki-alto-works-rs-041a.jpg

58377d1449523344-fs-1990-suzuki-alto-works-rs-029a.jpg

Rs-Meeting-Alto-02-1200x800.jpg

Suzuki_ALTO_Lapin_SS_%28HE21S%29_front.JPG

Always thought the Mitsubishi i was a bit of an under-appreciated kei car.

car_photo_218826.jpg

iMiev2011_driven_05_0.jpg

Most people will be familiar with it as the i-MiEV electric version, though versions of that sold in the US weren't proper kei cars as the car needed lengthening and widening to meet US crash regs. Which is also why it looks like it's eaten a few too many pies and why some of the neat detailing on the original car, like the bulging front arches that extend past the nose, disappeared.

I think it's a novel design. We're so used to seeing boxy kei cars that a completely curvy one seems unusual, but the use of space is still pretty good - I've sat in a few at motor shows (never driven one) and while quite narrow it does feel airy inside.

Early ones did get a proper kei engine - 659cc inline-three, with non-turbo and turbocharged options - with an electric motor coming later. Rear-engined, rear-wheel drive, which makes it fairly unusual.

I particularly like the Se-Ro concept that preceded the production car though, which had a kind of 1930s art-deco/streamliner vibe.

mitsubishi_se-ro_concept_5.jpeg
mitsubishi-se-ro-8.jpg
mitsubishi-se-ro-17.jpg

Would definitely daily the Se-Ro. And I'd like to at least try an i.

It'll be cheaper for me to buy a lock up and horde these, than buy a new car and all the insurance, fuel costs, servicing...

I'm not a fan of the awful rear negative camber, but I'll give each owners a pass, for keeping these cars fun.

Naturally, a few different import places, have varying prices. Still worth it for choice. I'm happy to see these cars available to bring over.

The S660 has a nice premium interior the Copen looks pretty cheap inside though.
honda-s660-8.jpg

COPEN-CERO-DAIHATSU-09.jpg

Last edited:
True. Though I do like the Copen's layout. The LCD climate control and buttons look very Gamboy SD-ish.

Neither car is sluggish in performance. Do I want FF or MR? Baby TT or Baby NSX? 5spd(Copen) or 6spd(S660)? Aftermarket is abundant for either. I guess a factor would be the top.
Best Motoring got the same time(46seconds) for removing the top and putting it on.
The Copen is about 10seconds.

Back