Kimi talks with Williams? - No. Signs with Lotus Renault for 2012

Raikkonen will not be racing for Williams next season according to Martin Brundle during the BBC F1 Feed.

I don't see any team taking Raikkonen for next year... or to put it better.. I don't see Raikkonen driving for any team next year.

Raikkonen has signed with Lotus-Renault GP for 2012.

Crash.Net
Rumours oven the Brazilian Grand Prix weekend that talks between Williams and Kimi Raikkonen had broken down can now be confirmed - and explained - following the surprise announcement that the Finn will be returning to F1..... with Lotus Renault GP!

The Enstone team sprang a surprise on the F1 world by announcing the Finn as one half of its 2012 driver line-up two days after the 2011 season officially ended at Interlagos, confirming speculation over the Sao Paulo weekend that the much-hyped conversations between the 2007 world champion and Williams had come to an end. At the time, however, no-one predicted that Räikkönen would pop up anywhere else on the grid, particularly at Lotus Renault, which already appeared to have a glut of talent to choose from for next season.

“I'm delighted to be coming back to F1 after a two-year break, and I'm grateful to Lotus Renault GP for offering me this opportunity," Räikkönen commented, "My time in the World Rally Championship has been a useful stage in my career as a driver, but I can't deny the fact that my hunger for F1 has recently become overwhelming.

"It was an easy choice to return with Lotus Renault GP as I have been impressed by the scope of the team's ambition. Now I'm looking forward to playing an important role in pushing the team to the very front of the grid.”

It will something to watch now F1 next season the Ice man returns he will be super fast i reckon if renault have a good package

No. It's either Williams or nothing. Raikkonen's return hinges on sponsors from the Middle East, and Williams is the only team with a vacancy and the appropriate connections. The notion that Raikkonen can show up at a team HQ and drive for them is little more than a fanboy fantasy, and one that you need to get over. It's not going to happen.

Yep... it seems to be the end of this thread...

Raikkonen has signed with Lotus-Renault GP for 2012.

Bit of a turn around! :D

I don't understand this thread's existence, considering there's a 2012 drivers thread. Should a separate thread be made about Senna or Barrichelo?

Thread can continue. Title has been changed.

Hun - I believe this one exists as Kimi is more of a story and therefore garners more discussion.

Really excited about reading this. Having been a fan since the first time I saw him in Formula Renault, I am pleased that he is going to Lotus and not Williams. And god help me but when Kubica is back... that will be a team of just rediculous amounts of raw talent. Could be a problem like the Alonso and Hamilton deal. But still excited. I see them being top contenders at the end of 2012 if not 2013 for sure.

I'm personally bit reserved about this. While I have never been a big fan of Räikkönen I also have no problem admitting that he was very fast. The thing is can he get up to speed again and how long it will take. I hope he gets back in to the groove as having six world champions racing on the same grid would be great.

I can't help but wonder what form Kubica will be in. Massa was never really the same after his Hungary incident.

Massa seems to be a rare case. I can think of one person to counter that thought right off the bat. Hakkinen.

Yeah, but Kubica's injuries were just broken bones and a shattered hand were they not? Massa had eye damage which is pretty bad in comparison.

I think I'm gonna reserve judgement until he's back.

Massa seems to be a rare case. I can think of one person to counter that thought right off the bat. Hakkinen.

It's true that it's rare. But not unheard of.

Kubica's career could quite easily follow that of Alessandro Nannini. He was also a well thought of driver tipped to do well, but badly injured his arm in a helicopter crash. Although he went on to race in DTM(?) and sportscars, he was never quite the same again.

Yeah, but Kubica's injuries were just broken bones and a shattered hand were they not? Massa had eye damage which is pretty bad in comparison.

Kubica injuries were far more worse that Massa's. Kubica's life was on the line. His nervers, mucles, bones have been badly injured. I have doubts of his successful return in F1, a shame such a great talent.

I can't help but wonder what form Kubica will be in. Massa was never really the same after his Hungary incident.

Massa was never much of a driver anyway and even worse now yes.

Massa was never much of a driver anyway and even worse now yes.

Yeah I always thought of him not really "deserving" of his Ferrari ride. He proved me wrong in 2008 with a solid season. But still I never thought of him like I do Vettel, Raikkonen, Hakkinen, Alonso, Kobayashi or Kubica to name more of recent years.

I think Kubica will be fine. He's a true talent when it comes to ability to drive. That's something I think a good driver never loses. Is that mindset to drive fast. Give him a race or two, maybe less, and he'll be back up to speed.

Back