Kimi talks with Williams? - No. Signs with Lotus Renault for 2012

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Hologram777, Sep 19, 2011.

1. nissman

nissman

I certanly hope so for Kubica. But missing his 2nd season now, speaks that his injurie is very bad. If it wasn't he would be racing already midway through 2011 season probably.

Having a fully functional hand is a must in F1 of course and I read sometime ago that his hand will never be the same. Maybe with rehelibitation they could get his hand/arm ready for racing, but I doubt it will be ever 100%. But maybe Robert can go over that and still perform.

2. tibiquera

tibiquera

Kubica's life was never in danger, the danger was being possibly amputated. Massa on the other hand had a head injury, was put in an induced coma for a few days, and was in danger of having brain damage.

On the discussion of not being up to speed after a serious accident, Nelson Piquet once said after his Imola accident he wasn't the same driver as before. Still he won the championship that year.

What I think is the reason for Massa's poor performance probably has to do with motivation. Ferrari made it clear he's the second driver, so some of that killer instinct may have been taken away. I really hope he goes to another team, because I have a feeling the only way for him to be strong again is to leave Ferrari.

3. RodrigoDLL

RodrigoDLL

Kubica's life was in danger, in fact! All the doctor statements the days after the accident mentioned that when he arrived at the hospital his condition was very bad, having lost so much blood due to the extensive injuries.

Piquet said he lost for some races time the sense of depth of field... but he never told anyone because they would not have let him race.

About Massa, what really destroyed him was that Alonso came and is so much faster, and the only time he was going to beat him the team told him to step aside. Destroyed his motivation.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  4. nissman

nissman

This.

5. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Premium

:lol: Haters going to hate...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's purely speculative. I think Felipe's motivation is still there, he's just doesn't have the ability to extract the maximum out of a poor package like Alonso has shown time and time again this year. Of course Ferrari have put him on some questionable strategies at times (to get him out of he way of Alonso...who is 9 times out of 10 faster), but regardless, I don't think motivation is an issue really...because you're not going be in such a demanding sport unless you're motivated to succeed. His confidence might be a bit shaken atm, but again, none of us know exactly what's going on inside Felipe's head.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  6. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not seeing any kind of wonders starting out from this.

Raikkonen returns. All well, but he hasn't driven an F1 car for 2 seasons now, and we've all seen how Schumacher's form is these days. I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing Raikkonen pulling off anything spectacular, especially not with his "I don't really give a rat's arse" mentality he had in his last seasons in F1. The real Raikkonen is the Raikkonen pre-2006, a Hakkinen. That Raikkonen is gone for years.

Same goes for Kubica; As fast as the man was before his crash, he's had a long and hard recovery. You just don't return on the spot and show the same kind of speed. Take Massa as an example.

No, with all due respect to those drivers, but I'd rather see Renault investing their time in their current drivers.

7. Kamuifanboy

Kamuifanboy

Yes, so Raikkonen's commitment isn't high. Shouldn't that say something about him winning in 2007 with little to no commitment?

The only thing that really hinders you as a racing driver, aside from physical being, is your mental abilities to overcome those wrecks. Kubica has already recovered from a horrific crash (Montreal 2007) and came back even stronger. Hell he won the next year there. Kubica has loads of confidence in his driving abilities, and I guarantee he still will, he's a true racer at heart, he'll get his head back in the game. Massa on the other hand, has always struggled as a mentally tough driver, and that's why he's struggled with his return.

I don't recall ever saying that they would immediately fast did I?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. Sach

Sach

Indeed. :sly:

9. F1 fan

F1 fan Premium

Can we all stop having a go at prisonermonkeys? Let's face it, Kimi previously stated he would never drive for that team. At least PM had the decency to not cave into rumours.

With the benefit of hindsight, we'd all regret saying something, but you had no facts to suggest Kimi was in with a chance of a drive with Lotus. Just mere fanboy speculation that has, for once, turned out to be right.

10. ROAD_DOGG33J

ROAD_DOGG33J Premium

:tup: Likes this

While I agree somewhat, I think these things have to be seen to on a case by case basis. Raikkonen isn't as old as Schumacher and maybe he can bring in some good results in 2012 though possibly inconsistently. I think with his rally experience he saw that F1 was his calling. His commitment should be high to prove that he can be at the top again. The risk could be a bit greater for Renault but the reward could surpass it. Their other options aren't that great either.

As for Kubica, I'll wait to see how he does. Maybe his hand won't be good enough to pilot an F1 car, maybe not. No one will know if he can get up to his previous speed unless he gets out there. You can't just say he will be the next Massa.

11. Sach

Sach

Also keep in mind that the Renault cars were much more competitive at the start of the season, before their 'developments' took them the other direction. If they have a competitive car again next season, I think they'll certainly do things differently, and also possibly (likey?) have a more competitive driver in Raikkonen. Then again, Rosberg outqualified Schumacher several times this year.

12. Kamuifanboy

Kamuifanboy

The form that Petrov and Heidfeld were in at the beginning of the season seemed fine. But I agree, I think that they will be better off with Raikkonen and hopefully Kubica short after. Kubica seems to be good at developing and making a car better. So they'll get that strong point back.

13. Peter.

Peter.

Wait, what?

Now, surprised is a understatement for this news. Shock and awe is more like it.

Hopefully I can see a Senna-Sutil lineup at Williams next year. Even though Senna is a good driver who will get better, and Sutil really doesn't deserve in any shape or form to be dropped by Force India.

14. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

I'm confused. No one has told me. Kimi is driving for lotus? Is that right ?

15. Tom

Tom Premium

Personally I'd like to see Senna at Williams, alongside Veltteri Bottas and Maldonado possibly at Lotus or something..

Yes.

16. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

Kubica's injuries after Montreal were nowhere near as bad as after his rally accident. See some above posts just how severe his situation was. You might call him a mentally strong person as much as you like, but that is in this very time a personal opinion. He hasn't driven a car since his accident, and for all we know his brain could completely shut down once he is placed inside an F1 car when all the emotions from his big crash come back to play.

These are things we just cannot know, but what I do know, and honestly believe in even though it is sad to say, is that I don't believe Kubica brings a better potential for results to Renault than Petrov and Senna are at this very moment. Apart from any sponsoring money Raikkonen and Kubica are only bringing a name to the team.

Assumptions like these wherein the name of a driver is rated higher than a current driver just because of his past performances, and even though they may not have raced in a good while, annoy me to a certain degree. It's what's becoming a small disease to F1 nowadays, wherein drivers with potential are being shoved to the side for drivers who bring a name to the team, without the rookie having any chance to develop his skill and settle himself in the F1 circus.

This is also why I think Massa simply needs to leave Ferrari and make room for a future star driver like Kobayashi, Rosberg or Sutil. Even though I still pray Mercedes can make a competitive car and shoot Rosberg on route to his first win.

I've always been a huge fan of Raikkonen. The Kimi from 2002-2005 was an incredible driver. Then he went to Ferrari with an attitude of "I'm just here to win my title and not be bothered with it all anymore after that". In 2008 I was rooting immensely for Kubica, and I've always had incredibly much respect for him since he was that lightning fast driver, yet he never played games with anyone like Alonso and Hamilton do these days. But as much as it saddens me, I honestly believe Renault is better off investing their driver seats into Senna and Petrov and at least giving them a chance to prove their skill with a decent car.

17. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

tree'd

18. astrosdude91

astrosdude91

Senna at Williams? That sounds like a really bad omen.:nervous:

I would agree though. Senna-Sutil line up at Williams would be a healthy choice for the team. But I'm afraid their sponsorship combined wouldn't cover what Maldonaldo brings to the table. Perhaps if they both find a few more sponsors they might be able to make that work.

19. Northstar

Northstar Premium

Maldonado's sponsorship may be up though, not sure the current status but I know it was being looked into by Venezuela's parliament.

20. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I predict Renault will be looking for a replacement within six months. When Raikkonen realises the car isn't as good as he anticipated, he'll just phone it in until the team starts doing something. And do something they will: fire him.

21. Tom

Tom Premium

He'll probably be phoning in sick for races. :lol:

Mind you a two-year contract may justify that statement as it must show that he's committed to returning, surely?

22. Alex.

Alex. Premium

Just like your prediction that he won't race for LRGP :sly:

23. Centura

Centura Premium

Doubt it.
    Or it could be so that if he still has the pace, he can't bugger off to a top team after a year.

24. kimi123

kimi123

This is great news but what happened to Williams deal :eek: I think 2013 he might try to move to Mercedes GP. MS will retire.

I think Sutil deserves in Williams now FI are going with Nico and Paul.

25. Tom

Tom Premium

Very true, would love to see Kimi at Mercedes or possibly taking Massa's seat at Ferrari in 2013?

26. Alex.

Alex. Premium

No way he'll go to Ferrari and Mclaren.

27. Kamuifanboy

Kamuifanboy

Yeah i'm having a very hard time seeing him going to either. Both teams are content with their drivers. If Ferrari decides to get rid of Massa I don't think I can see Ferrari wanting him along side Alonso. I think they'd rather put a younger driver in to prepare him for 1st driver position.

28. Centura

Centura Premium

Duh.

29. kimi123

kimi123

Ferrari asked him to leave I do not think he will go to Ferrari or they do not want him either. Kubica might go to Ferrari in 2013 :eek:

Kimi Raikkonen first need to do well this year. I think after 3-4 races and especially in second half of season he will back to form. He is 10yrs younger than MS so he has some years left in him. Norbert Haug likes him so may be 2013 to Mercedes GP. Contract in F1 doesn't mean much anything is possible. Mercedes GP need to win race and podiums next year and probably fight for championship in 2013.

30. Kamuifanboy

Kamuifanboy

I actually think I'd rather see Kamui go to that spot at Ferrari. If Ferrari is smart they'll do that. If he becomes the first Japanese driver to win a F1 race, Japan will forever be Ferrari fans. And they could potentially get some Japanese sponsors on board. And we all know who is the best passer in F1... nope, not Lewis like most commentators seem to believe. I've yet to see Lewis do these moves.