Koenigsegg Smashes The Production Car Speed Record With 277mph Run

It reached it's top speed so easily... it seems that with longer gears it could easily do 300mph...

On the other hand, if Veyron SS did 268mph then Chiron surely would do ~280-290mph... time will tell

Damn that thing sounds beastly. I'd like to hear what the Venom F5 sounds like - I love a shouty V8.

Weight is incidental? Potential top speed is a function of drag, area, rolling resistance and weight.
YZF
It reached it's top speed so easily... it seems that with longer gears it could easily do 300mph...

On the other hand, if Veyron SS did 268mph then Chiron surely would do ~280-290mph... time will tell
I don't know what the gearing is on the Chiron, but with its drag coefficient, frontal area and weight it would theoretically be aero limited to about 283 MPH in top speed mode. With the right gearing the Agera RS could reach 308 MPH.

Impressive sense of speed :eek:

Less impressive was the 0-60 time of 16.28 (managed a better 13.12 on the second run) 👎

Weight is incidental? Potential top speed is a function of drag, area, rolling resistance and weight.
And weight is an incidental part of that.

The approximate aero resistance to a Chiron at 285mph is 1,811lb. The approximate rolling friction on a Chiron at 285mph is 59lb. At 285mph, the static weight accounts for 3% of the total drag on the car - because the weight doesn't scale, but the aerodynamic resistance increases by a square of the speed.

It would need roughly 1,420whp to reach 285mph. If it weighed half of what it does (1 ton instead of 2 tons), it would need roughly 1,400whp. If it weighed nothing at all, it would need roughly 1,375whp.

Impressive acceleration after 300 km/h (the test begins there). I've been at 300 km/h in motorbikes but not scary because I knew many people had run with those tyres at faster speeds. In this case nobody have run at such crazy speed, I'd be very worried about a tyre disintegration ! :dunce:

I don't know what the gearing is on the Chiron, but with its drag coefficient, frontal area and weight it would theoretically be aero limited to about 283 MPH in top speed mode. With the right gearing the Agera RS could reach 308 MPH.

Weight is mostly important during initial acceleration, from standstill. And it becomes less and less important the faster you go. This is opposite to aerodynamic efficiency. What is the torque comparison between Chiron and this Agera RS?

YZF
Weight is mostly important during initial acceleration, from standstill. And it becomes less and less important the faster you go. This is opposite to aerodynamic efficiency. What is the torque comparison between Chiron and this Agera RS?
The Agera RS makes 1280 Nm on gasoline while the Chiron makes 1600 Nm.

Race to 300 reminds me it's 1997 with a Blackbird, Hayabusa and some ZX thingy getting all fighty over 200.
Funny how history repeats itself often with 3 parties involved.
I believe the Bug will get 301 first simply because of deep pockets and unlimited runs on their track.
Secretly I really wish Hennessey would get their **** together, stop talking and put some numbers on the board.

Holy 🤬 is that fast! It just boggles my mind that cars are getting this fast this quickly.

To give everyone an idea of just how fast 284 MPH is:
The car is travelling 416 feet every second, or about 1.3 football fields every second.

Small detail to add (ok not THAT small:P) is after doing the Vmax record, they decided to take another swing at the 0-400-0 record and they ended up resetting the record with a 33.87 run. :eek:

Small detail to add (ok not THAT small:P) is after doing the Vmax record, they decided to take another swing at the 0-400-0 record and they ended up resetting the record with a 33.87 run. :eek:
Yeah I seen that. Koenigsegg is just insaneeee. Lol. I wonder if the venom f5 can topple these records now.

Watching the 2 runs, it appears it is going the same direction in both. Article mentions they needed to run in opposite direction to be official?
Am i just seeing the video incorrectly?

Impressive nonetheless. :bowdown:

I read somewhere that the 272mph run was done where the car was fighting a strong headwind combined with an uphill gradient on the road. The 285mph return leg would have been done using the downhill gradient to its advantage.

Still a mighty achievement from Koenigsegg.

I read somewhere that the 272mph run was done where the car was fighting a strong headwind combined with an uphill gradient on the road. The 285mph return leg would have been done using the downhill gradient to its advantage.

I suppose that's why 'verified' speed records always ask for two runs, one in each direction, to even out slight wind and elevation differences with an average taken.

The way it gathers speed after 180mph is insane.

And I was thinking the one:1 was their fastest production car. I love this manufacturer, and Christian seems like a nice guy as well.

And I was thinking the one:1 was their fastest production car. I love this manufacturer, and Christian seems like a nice guy as well.
The one:1 has too much downforce so probably would not touch 270+. I think it' top speed is 257mph

The way it gathers speed after 180mph is insane.
You can tell that the driver hasn't really got it into boost until what appears to be fifth gear at 180, it boggles the mind to think that up to that point the car is barely being stressed at all, and that during that run the highest rate of acceleration was achieved at roughly 200 mph. That's a fast car. I'm assuming that the driver didn't go full throttle until that point for the sake of controllability and to make sure the tyres didn't wear unnecessarily, but it does make for an impressive bit of acceleration at 180.

One:1 is their fastest around a track, Agera RS is the fastest in a straight line, and Regera probably the fastest accelerating of the three.

Here's Koenigsegg's official video:

The 272mph run in the video that's in the article was a sighting run. Run 1 on the downhill was 285mph The official return run on the uphill gradient was 271.2mph

Here's the 0-400-0 record too.

I think the "boost" at 180mph was a little showboating, also didn't VAG tease a speedo showing 450 km/h at the end of their 0-400-0 video? That's a shade under 280mph. Not taking anything away from Koenigsegg though, it's still incredible/daft/fascinating in equal measures.

Koenigsegg now claims the 2018 Agera RS will be capable of breaking the 300mph mark, at least 22mph faster than it's current record.

"If someone wants to set that record, it’s very doable. For the car we would need more RPM and a longer gear ratio, but we could hit 300 right now.
It’s scary and very dangerous to drive this fast, because there are a lot of uncontrollable aspects, such as animals, tumbleweeds, bumps, wind. It’s doable, but it’s not our objective,” CEO of Koenigsegg Christian von Koenigsegg admitted.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/01/koenigsegg-says-agera-rs-go-300-mph/

Back