Lamborghini’s 50th anniversary - Veneno (Lambo's fastest car ever!)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 307 comments
ITT, people who already don't like Lamborghinis complain about the value of limited production Lamborghinis.

Modern Hypercars have become so fast and have so much grip they are to all intents and purposes useless as drivers cars. For the most part they end up being owned by collectors and never get driven.

If they do get driven it’s not in anger and nothing to do with how they drive – it’s all about shouting about how wealthy the owner is… Like Donkey in Shrek… ‘LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!’

The rest of the time the only purpose they serve is for young lads to hang as a poster on their bedroom wall and play bed tents.

You act as if that ship hadn't sailed in 1974.

I thought "Furai" when I first saw it.

May look like a fighter jet, and may be 3.1 million pounds, but... looks like someone took a knife and proceeded to cut random shapes of paper, then glued them together to get this.

I LOVE the interior design though.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean.

If you're saying Lamborghini haven't produced a decent looking car since 1974 I wouldn't disagree :D

ITT, people who already don't like Lamborghinis complain about limited production Lamborghinis.
I can't speak for anyone else, but i do like Lamborghinis... just not keen on the Reventon, Sesto, Gallardo, and Aventador.

ITT, people who already don't like Lamborghinis complain about the value of limited production Lamborghinis.

I have no emotional connection with Lamborghini, but they're generally capable of producing a nice-looking vehicle. This isn't one of their better efforts.

I edited my post from the original explicitly to exclude lumping you in that statement, hfs.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean.

If you're saying Lamborghini haven't produced a decent looking car since 1974 I wouldn't disagree :D

It's hardly a modern situation where cars of this nature are bought for no other reason than to showoff how wealthy you are; becoming the bedroom fodder of teens around the world in the process. Certainly not one limited to this car specifically. Many a test exists where a journalist has taken a Countach or 512BB out to drive and found out that they aren't particularly enjoyable to use around town or when driven in anger. Short of a handful of examples that were actually taken racing like the F40 or McLaren F1, that's basically what everything in that niche since the Countach was shown off has been relegated to.

Last edited:
It looks a little bit like the Lamborghini Pregunta concept from 1998:

1998-heuliez-pregunta-concept-11.jpg

It's hardly a modern situation where cars of this nature are bought for no other reason than to showoff how wealthy you are; becoming the bedroom fodder of teens around the world in the process. Certainly not one limited to this car specifically. Many a test exists where a journalist has taken a Countach or 512BB out to drive and found out that they aren't particularly enjoyable to use around town or when driven in anger. Short of a handful of examples that were actually taken racing like the F40 or McLaren F1, that's basically what everything in that niche since the Countach was shown off has been relegated to.

Not sure I agree with that.

Sure, Lamborghini have virtually no racing pedigree, nor have they, for the most part, made great drivers cars by all accounts (I've not had the priviledge of driving a Lambo), but many of the Super/Hyper cars have made good drivers cars and some have become good competition cars.

Modern Ferrari's do nothing for me either (nothing after the F40), but I can see and admit the 458 is a wonderous drivers car given the numerous reports I've read about its abilities.

And some modern Ferrari's (430, 458, 599) have made reasonably successful GT racers, as have the MP12, SLS, and R8 in recent times too... though all road going GT class racing cars have pretty much lived in the shadow of the 911 in its various GT racer guises until the past couple of years when the 997 has clearly been at the end of its life cycle.

Lamborghini for me are a style over substance brand... big, flashy cars with big, noisy engines. Fast in a straight line, but lacking any class, heritage or pedigree. They are designed and built for rich kids and show offs IMO.

I guess I just don't get the brand.

Now you're arguing the opposite of what you were originally arguing?

:confused:

The Audi R8, SLS and (to a lesser extent) the F430 are also quite a different ballgame from the big Lamborghinis and Zondas and such. It wasn't until he 458 that Ferrari acknowledged that the V8 Ferraris were no longer entry level.

Last edited:
I won't use the word I described it as on twitter. Instead, I'll use another four-letter word: Vile.

I get that Lamborghinis are supposed to be wild, but there's wild and then there's stupid. This is too far towards the latter for me now. It's like Lamborghini is parodying itself, like "we've got this reputation for doing crazy cars, so let's live up to that!" rather than designing something that looks good.

The trouble is, the more bespoke companies like Pagani have taken the wind from Lamborghini's sails over the past decade or so as far as crazy styling goes, so Lambo now seems to be a factory churning out the craziest crap they can get away with. Normally, I'd find that quite cool, but the Veneno is too much like an 8yr old's wet dream vehicle than something I could actually appreciate.

I think what also bothers me is that they seem to have just given up on the roof. Yeah, it's got a funky engine cover, but the windscreen, A-pillars and side windows look like they've been pulled straight from one of Lamborghini's "regular" cars. If they're doing crazy, it seems awfully half-assed to make some of the car so featureless.

Shocking news, I like the car hfs doesn't.

I don't think it's particularly special visually, but what I do like about is that the aero bits on it aren't really integrated into the rest of the car. They look like they are there for a purpose and the stylist wasn't allowed to touch them. Although this goes more for the front than the back. I like seeing that, a car with an exterior designed for function more than anything else. It's not really true for this, but compared to say the McLaren P1, it looks like Lamborghini was trying less hard to hide the race car.

And as a bonus, the car itself doesn't look bad.

Well, it's striking.... errmm.

To be fair, I quite like Lambo, as much as is possible for a sworn enemy of the (Volkswagen Audi Group ;) )... and although I still prefer the Reventon to this, this is totally bonkers looking, lots of power, low, wide, looks like it's been attacked with a hatchet... it totally represents what a Lambo should be, to me. Just needed to be a more lurid colour (Red or Yellow Crome and Carbon Fibre :D !!)

Ag
And I fail to see how slapping a different body on an Aventador chassis warrants a >10x price increase... some people have more money than sense :lol:
That's really all anyone needs to read from you regarding this car. Everything afterwards is just jibber-ish about why you don't like the brand, a clear point you don't really know anything about the car at all. It's not like what Lamborghini pulled with the Reventon, this doesn't share anything with the Aventador besides a tub & subframe, but built in different materials.

But, if that's how your logic plays out, you must absolutely despise Ferrari, then. Eric Clapton spent more money on his custom 458 than the 3 men did on the Veneno.

That's really all anyone needs to read from you regarding this car. Everything afterwards is just jibber-ish about why you don't like the brand, a clear point you don't really know anything about the car at all. It's not like what Lamborghini pulled with the Reventon, this doesn't share anything with the Aventador besides a tub & subframe, but built in different materials.

But, if that's how your logic plays out, you must absolutely despise Ferrari, then. Eric Clapton spent more money on his custom 458 than the 3 men did on the Veneno.

You both have pretty much said all I wanted to say on the matter, now. So, I'll just move on and post Autoblog's info here, with some new Geneva shots.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/04/lamborghini-veneno-geneva-show-2013/
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/04/lamborghini-veneno-geneva-2013/

...Veneno, a fighting bull that reportedly gained notoriety in 1914 when it killed a matador
$3.9 million US

Full Press release in the second link.

013lamborghinivenenogen.jpg

002lamborghinivenenogen.jpg

Even though I loved the Countach as a kid, I have long thought Lambo as a cookie cutter type of manufacturer. They all look the same, just a few different angles here and there.

But this one, I'll admit I have looked at this model from every angle I can google. It's been a very long time since I've Homer drooled over a Lamborghini...

As for the pricetag, I would expect all 3 of the triplets at my place. I wonder when the pics of all 3 colours parked side by side will be out. That's what I'd like to see.

Have a good one

Last edited:
An absolutely sinister looking automobile. I imagine the sinister voice of K.A.R.R. upon driver & passenger entry into this vehicle saying....."Your lives mean nothing to me".

Looks like one of those "design studies" you see from random college students. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Bull owners now have a difficult job in naming their bulls"look if we give it a very cool name in italian and let it kill someone, 50 years from Now a Lamborghini will be named after it"

Back