Legendary Zandvoort back on F1 calendar!

• Thread starter BrainsBush
  • 161 comments
Forcing a race at an unsuitable venue purely becuase of a unlikable brat of a driver who has had the devastating effect of two podium finishes. Cool, makes it that much easier to not get the wallet out to watch any F1.

This is incredible. There seems to be a lot more negativity for a race in the Netherlands than there seemed to have been for a racin Vietnam...

This is incredible. There seems to be a lot more negativity for a race in the Netherlands than there seemed to have been for a racin Vietnam...

For me the feeling is extremely conflicting as on the one hand I am stoked to have an F1 race 30 minutes away (On a normal day) but on the other hand I don't understand the reasoning why it had to be Zandvoort so damn much. Assen is ready. Zandvoort needs 100 million easily. And that's without the roads and rails.

And early May (I hope) will give us a decent chance for a rain race.
excellent.png

Just for the sake of wearing a tinfoil hat for a second, I think that Zandvoort is a conspiracy between the Dutch government and Codemasters to include a track that suits the classic cars, so they can sell more games. In addition, I believe that making Zandvoort represent the Netherlands in F1 is a decision that can only have been fuelled by a lot of drugs.

On a more constructive note, I think that there might be some sort of surprise lying in wait for if Ross Brawn pushes in some of the rules from 2021 for 2020 and makes the cars a bit less sensitive to wake again. That said, congratulations Mercedes on an unexpected 1-2 on the dunes - I really couldn't foresee such dominance after a qualifying session where Red Bull were so close to the front row with a spirited Verstappen driving his wheels off.

Mental!

I wonder if it's possible to build a temporary harbour and then have a load of boats\ships providing accommodation?

There are more than enough accommodations if people are willing to travel a bit (who am I kidding, they'll have to) in the region, but that brings back the problem getting the people to the track.

There are more than enough accommodations if people are willing to travel a bit (who am I kidding, they'll have to) in the region, but that brings back the problem getting the people to the track.

Sounds awful. All the Dutch members of the internet have painted a picture of Zandvoort having one country lane in and out of the circuit.

This is how you want to go there.

Terra-Wind-Amphibious-Motor-Coach-img1-544px.jpg

Amphibious motor home.
525ceb72_IMG_20190514_WA0001.jpg.jp

So first they announce Vietnam with a track that'll be impossible to overtake on, minus the one 100 mile long straight.
Then they announce Zandvoort which also looks to be a place & has a history of having next to no overtaking.

They're really going in a great direction with F1.

Just for the sake of wearing a tinfoil hat for a second, I think that Zandvoort is a conspiracy between the Dutch government and Codemasters to include a track that suits the classic cars, so they can sell more games.

The current configuration of Zandvoort has never suited 'classic' F1 cars.

To be fair the lack of overtaking in F1 is mostly down to the design of the cars. Isn't there a planned change to reduce the wake sensitivity of the cars for next year, incidentally?

Im sure they'll attempt it...but I doubt it will be effective - Ill believe it when I see it

Forcing a race at an unsuitable venue purely becuase of a unlikable brat of a driver who has had the devastating effect of two podium finishes. Cool, makes it that much easier to not get the wallet out to watch any F1.

pffff....wow!

you for real?
:confused:

Spy.

I thought he'd had 16? And what does liking him have to do with anything when he's a dynamite racer? It's not like you have to go out for waffles with him, or are ever likely to. I think Hamilton's a dick but love watching him race.

I'd agree that Verstappen's father (also strangely called Verstappen) is a very unpleasant individual indeed, but they aren't the sins of the son. Yet.

Last edited:
Also don't forget --> Heineken is a platinum sponsor of the whole F1 circus. It's part of the sponsor deal to get a multi year F1 GP in the Netherlands. It's not only because we have Max Verstappen. It's a combination of 'benefits'. And do not underestimate the influence of sponsors like Jumbo and Shell (Royals)

I'd agree that Verstappen's father (also strangely called Verstappen) is a very unpleasant individual indeed, but they aren't the sins of the son. Yet.
His controversy seems like a MeToo material.

Also its his family name. More strange if the kid inherited all of names with just "Jr" or "the Second" at the end of it.

Is someone willing to travel about 100km? I know a convenient room 'close' to the circuit for just €5K for the whole weekend!!!! Worth trying right? ;)

I have been attending the Marlbore Masters and many other races at Zandvoort. The situation at the train station after the races were horrific. I am a big guy , can't imagine how it is to smaller folks so densely packed at the entrance gate.

Hotels are way too expensive. So I probably end up driving up there on Thursday and pitch my tent somewhere.

Early May the nights can be really cold though.

I always said , I will not go and watch F1 at Zandvoort. It just seems too ridiculous. But then when the news came out yesterday:

9e9.gif

c_ca_nf_11_1_3_reporting.html

Last edited:
His controversy seems like a MeToo material.

I don't know, these weren't later revelations, they were public police charges of assault with a motor vehicle (or whatever the Dutchisland equivalent is).

Also its his family name.

Thank you, but it was a sort of joke. Next you'll be telling me that Funny doesn't work on tinterwebs.

Some Twitter journalist drew what is expected.
View attachment 820919
Preserves the best part of the track - turns 4-9, while giving a longer straight into Tarzan without having to move it. Also the new final corner should actually have space for decent runoff.

They better keep Scheivlak and Mastersbocht as gravel and grass runoffs respectively. The walls might will need extending back, but a nice sea of gravel is what makes the corners, and keeps the Youtube views coming.

To make sure that the final corner, when it gets the banking, isn't going to turn into a jump ramp hurtling the cars into the North Sea, they will move the barrier right next to the asphalt. Indy Style.

To make sure that the final corner, when it gets the banking, isn't going to turn into a jump ramp hurtling the cars into the North Sea, they will move the barrier right next to the asphalt. Indy Style.
The only sensible option. 👍

I'm suddenly amazed that there's more hate for this than the planned / unnecessary / binned / hairpin-hairpin-hairpin Miami GP. Zandvoort has always been interesting to me, with all of its history, as it disappeared from the circus just around the time I started following the sport. I mean, it has a turn called "Tarzan", which always sounded a bit macho without being too stupid to say.

It's about the resorts: nobody loved the French GP in Nevers because it was in the BANANA countryside (build absolutely nothing anywhere near anything) and thus, few enjoyed being there in the flat plains even though it would offend the least number of people.

Finally, a track called "ASSen" is always going to have marketing problems.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back