Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,384 comments
$_1.JPG

Curious about this. Found it on eBay (apologies for mobile link) but nothing anywhere else online.

Might have to get one of these myself to race my scaled LaFerrari. Someone please modify this one to look like the Vision Gran Turismo prototype, that would be awesome!

I received the Camaro drag racing set and the Ford GT/GT40 set this weekend.

The Ford set was pretty interesting to build.
About half way through building the Camaro set. Could have been done sooner but my kids wanted to help build it with me.

Started working on a LEGO fantasy 1990's-era Group-C Car.

Clearly pre-alpha stuff, I'm just laying the ground work now... Estimated amount of parts: ~ 1100-1300

Its going to have real opening doors, removable bodywork (fenders/front, rear engine cover), an engine, steering, a fully modeled cockpit, an underbody diffuser /underwing

group-c12333_zps3futby3c.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished my Group-C car model which I designed using the LDD. I love it when I design something with a computer program and then make it real and it works beautifully.

I designed it in three days, first day for the ground work (80%), second day to iron out the design difficulties and a final day to polish everything and make minor adjustments.
Took me 3 hours to order the parts ( :boggled: ) and about 5 hours to assemble. (no building instructions, just the Digital Designer model!)

List of features:

1100 parts, weight about 800 grams, 1.7 lbs (About the size of the Ferrari F40 Lego set)
Steering, functional gullwing doors, fully modeled cockpit, twin-element rear wing with Gurney flap, fully modeled underbody diffuser, removable rear and front bodywork, V8 engine, sidepod ankle cutters, two snorkel turbo inlets, a bunch of air intakes.....

Just some quick crappy pictures, I'm going to make a nice photo session once I have more time.

legogroupc1.jpg legogroupc3.jpg legogroupc2.jpg

How much do these kits set you back? They look immense, excellent work!
Thanks!

Big models such as this race car always cost me around 100-125 bucks, the large ones with 1000+ parts € 145+.
LEGO is not cheap. :scared:

I once built a model of a mining excavator consisting of several thousand parts, I never ordered the bricks because it would have cost me 600 bucks or so. :lol:

Actually cheaper than I thought actually, considering the standard big car models fetch that. I figured Lego would then add 10% (or order of) for the fact the parts are customised to your own design.

Actually cheaper than I thought actually, considering the standard big car models fetch that. I figured Lego would then add 10% (or order of) for the fact the parts are customised to your own design.
LEGO has only a small shop with a very limited parts list, I have to collect the parts from other shops and private sources. Buying parts to build a large complex model is still not a thing with the LEGO company, sadly.

I was trying to get missing/damaged pieces replacements for all my LEGO sets going back the the 80's as was disappointed to find that LEGO's official store has a very small selection of bricks, they don't even have all the modern bricks available. It think it's totally tactical to stop people from building their own rather than buying sets.

I was trying to get missing/damaged pieces replacements for all my LEGO sets going back the the 80's as was disappointed to find that LEGO's official store has a very small selection of bricks, they don't even have all the modern bricks available. It think it's totally tactical to stop people from building their own rather than buying sets.
Thats possible.
Building your own sophisticated big models and buying them was possible for a short amount of time, using the Lego Digital Designer. They axed this option only three years later, saying they could not meet their quality standards with this service. Whatever that means. They replaced it with the Pick A Brick service which, as already mentioned, is very rudimentary and annoying to use. This service is only good for getting a handful of standard bricks you are missing for your model.

Back