Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,394 comments
The Alfa's are my favorite. 👍 Could separate them, have the Italian Job and a 'traffic stop' of sorts like Lego City (or Police?) does.

The Alfa's are my favorite. 👍 Could separate them, have the Italian Job and a 'traffic stop' of sorts like Lego City (or Police?) does.
Thanks. 👍

I've got a few more vehicles planned, including a smashed up Muira that a couple of guys suggested. :lol:

Anyway, decided to take a break from the 'Italian job' stuff and start something else. Fancied doing something slightly bigger this time (around 1:18 scale), with a bit more detail.
It's very much a work in progress (only finished one side of the exterior), though i doubt i'll change anything about what I've done so far, as I'm fairly happy with how it's going.

Fast Beetle:

I'm going for a level close to that of the awesome Lego Ferrari F40. It currently uses about 450 bricks and is 36 studs long by 14 studs (at it's widest) width.

Thanks. 👍

I've got a few more vehicles planned, including a smashed up Muira that a couple of guys suggested. :lol:

Anyway, decided to take a break from the 'Italian job' stuff and start something else. Fancied doing something slightly bigger this time (around 1:18 scale), with a bit more detail.
It's very much a work in progress (only finished one side of the exterior), though i doubt i'll change anything about what I've done so far

I'm going for a level close to that of the awesome Lego Ferrari F40. It currently uses about 450 bricks and is 36 studs long by 14 studs (at it's widest) width.

This looks very nice! 👍

At the rear wheel arch, instead of using two slopes, put the 4-long slope one stud higher and replace the small 2-long slope above the rear light with a 1x3 roof tile:

428601.jpg

That should make it smoother (I think) and cover the tiny hole in the bonnet. Then you can even ditch the 1x1 wedge and replace it with a 1x1 tile.

This looks very nice! 👍

At the rear wheel arch, instead of using two slopes, put the 4-long slope one stud higher and replace the small 2-long slope above the rear light with a 1x3 roof tile:

428601.jpg

That should make it smoother (I think) and cover the tiny hole in the bonnet. Then you can even ditch the 1x1 wedge and replace it with a 1x1 tile.
Thanks! 👍

And yeah, that gap bugs the hell out of me too :lol:. I'd kind of already tried your suggestion on an earlier/scrapped build. It does indeed completely solve the problem but the transition from curved edge to sharp edge was something i was trying my hardest to avoid.

Example of earlier build: (please try and ignore the square arch spacers and extended front arch)

Ideally, it needs a studless 6x1, 3 edged sloped or (even better) curved brick. Unfortunately, Lego make neither of these (maybe one day, hopefully). So I'm sad to say, the gap's still there (along with some other issues, that I'd rather not be there). I really do appreciate the helpful input and suggestions though. :cheers:

Anyway, Here's the finished model:

Here it is. It's not changed much from the previews in my earlier post ^. I had to make a few changes here and there. Firstly, the gap is (obviously) still there, except i feel it is accentuated slightly more, due to me changing the the rear 3 quarter window frame slightly, (so not a good thing really). Another thing I'm not pleased with is the wing mirrors. I used hammers because they seemed fairly close in size to what i wanted but i just wish the stems weren't as long.

Two more let downs is 1: the luggage/boot area. It's far too shallow (can only just fit what kind of resembles a spare wheel). And it's also not possible for me to completely tile the area, due to collisions with the boot lid. I'm also unable to cover the front inner wheels because of this (it does fit a small toolbox though, so that's one good thing :lol:).

Let down number 2: is the engine. For pretty much similar reasons (collisions with usable space and bonnet lid), I can't really make the engine as detailed as I'd like. The good thing is though, is it slides out from it's housing, because I made the middle rear bumper section be able to pivot upwards. The (front) boot, (rear) bonnet, middle rear bumper section and engine, are all fixed in place at the pivot, using friction pins. So they should be quite stiff to open and hold their desired positions when opened. The doors are traditional hinged ones with a gap for allowance, so they open freely without obstruction.

Two more details I am pleased about, are the fire extinguisher and foot pedals (used smaller hammers).

Anyway, without further a do, here's some pics:

(I plan on changing the interior colours too, but couldn't be bothered at the time ^)

Inspired by Michael's awesome black and yellow LM's color scheme, I think this looks moody as hell. I really like this colour, hence all the pics. :lol: :

And finally (I know it's a similar angle as the one posted directly above), but check out the bottom left hand corner of this pic:

:D Similar easter egg as Lego's Apollo Saturn V rocket. :lol: It kind of happened by accident. I could see it was getting a large brick count, as I was going but it started to tail off around the 900 ish mark, so I targeted 911 pieces (had to sacrifice the rear view mirror I'd planned). It's more bricks than I'd liked to have used but when you consider Lego's Ferrari F40 (similar sized/scaled model) using 1158 bricks, I'd say it's not too bad. [SPOILER/]

Little update pic of the Porsche:

I've not long submitted this new build to 'Lego Ideas' but I fear it may not get past their approval for submission stage.
It's meant to be a minifigure version of the Audi RSQ from the movie 'I,Robot'.

It doesn't have traditional wheels but moves about on castors that sit slightly below everything else. So yeah, it moves like a shopping trolley. :lol:

Im surprised nobody has mentioned the new Huge Millenium Falcon set coming along?

£600+ is pricey but seeing as it's the biggest set yet it maybe worth it.

Im surprised nobody has mentioned the new Huge Millenium Falcon set coming along?

Yes, learned about that the other day. The new UCS Millennium Falcon. I could never afford one so I'm going to try my best at winning one instead (very unlikely :().

For anyone interested in entering the competition themselves, here's a link: https://www.lego.com/en-us/rebrick/contest-page/contests/freighter-wars

I've entered their Mercedes F1 comp too (just in the nick of time before it closed). Also tried to submit both my Porsche and I-robot models on the Lego ideas site but both failed to pass submissions. The Porsche infringed on their strict IP's rules (as would the Mini's in my Italian job model) and the I-robot model didn't fit in with their core values. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

To me, yes ... no doubt. To my wife ... I think she would have some issues. :boggled:

So LEGO as a company is in trouble.

As well as firing their new CEO who has only been in the job 8 months, today they announced sales have dropped quite substantially (5%) with Europe and North America sales being the worst. This is the first drop in sales in 13 years. As a result they are cutting 1400 jobs at the company which is a whopping 8% of the workforce in one go! Maybe it's time to drop those prices.

They need to make more small kits. I've noticed they've been doing that a little recently but there are just too many large builds for high prices.

I agree, they sometimes forget that they are a children's toy first and a enthusiasts hobby second. Parents are not going to drop £100 on sets regularly and they need way more of the £10 sort of stuff.

I agree on the price of sets. They charge way too much and make the limited sets too limited. Since Disney took over in a Galaxy far far away... the prices of those sets have gone insane.

I haven't bought a set in probably 2 or 3 years ago. They are way too expensive here in Portugal. I mean, they are expensive as they are, now put some high taxing over it and sets are no longer attainable. Only whey they go on sale for 50% and they sell out immediatly

As for something completely random now, does anybody here know the very old but extremely popular computer game Unreal Tournament, the old one, back from 1999?

Always been a huge fan of that game, now I decided to make a model of one of the most famous weapons in the Game, the Instagib Rifle.
It still needs a ton of polishing but I am happy so far. But I find it pretty challenging to make something from a nearly 20 year old game in LEGO.

Anyways, here it is:

nVD3idy.jpg

And here it is in-game:

9FGV0m5.png

And the less powerful blue version:

4If6BkK.jpg

Not jealous, nope not one bit....

Enjoy it man!

Thanks, the question is, when will I have time to build it :lol: With two young kids and PCars 2 and GT:S rolling out soon, it probably won't get touched for a very, very long time.

Jerome

Has anyone in the UK been watching the "Lego Masters" programme on Channel 4? It finished this week, and was amazing.

Has anyone in the UK been watching the "Lego Masters" programme on Channel 4? It finished this week, and was amazing.
I watched it - quite enjoyed it, and the builds were very impressive - I agreed with practically all of the judges selections and think the right team won, but:

The teams were pretty uneven in terms of age and skill level, and although the judges made some compensation for this fact, it ended up being a massive advantage to have at least one highly skilled adult builder in the team.

Yay!! I've won a comp over on the LEGO Rebrick site. (never won anything in my entire life, until now). Mega happy!!

:gtpflag:
Congratulations! I found the contest online and looks like you nailed the remit 👍 What do you win?

Congratulations! I found the contest online and looks like you nailed the remit 👍 What do you win?

Thanks! 👍

The grand prize is:
An exclusive tour of the Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS Motorsport team HQ (in Brackley).
And a visit to Mercedes-Benz World (at Brooklands).
Along with a signed (Speed champions 75883) Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS F1 team LEGO set and some extra gifts from Mercedes.

Mercedes is my favourite F1 team, so this is just perfect. Really happy! :gtpflag:

Thanks! 👍

The grand prize is:
An exclusive tour of the Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS Motorsport team HQ (in Brackley).
Along with a signed (Speed champions 75883) Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS F1 team LEGO set and some extra gifts from Mercedes.

Mercedes is my favourite F1 team, so this is just perfect. Really happy! :gtpflag:
Wow! Epic prize!

The grand prize is:

:eek:

I assume you're allowed to take someone with you on the tour? I'll book my plane ticket this morning. :dopey:

Seriously, congratulations mate. Incredible prize. 👍👍

Back