Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,409 comments
Yay, finished! I changed the nose a little bit, to make it more aerodynamic.

And before anyone asks, the opening behind the front wheels is not some workaround, many cars had those because it was a simple and very effective way to went the hot air from the hot tires and brakes. The front radiator exit is in the middle of the nose.

6_zps046zj1ev.jpg

Last edited:
Yay, finished! I changed the nose a little bit, to make it more aerodynamic.

And before anyone asks, the opening behind the front wheels is not some workaround, many cars had those because it was a simple and very effective way to went the hot air from the hot tires and brakes. The front radiator exit is in the middle of the nose.

5_zpsuyhhstrv.jpg

3_zpstqremdnd.jpg

4_zps3tsw4zj5.jpg

1_zpsya77f0q8.jpg

6_zps046zj1ev.jpg
Luckily for me I have thousands of various Lego parts to create something like this.
I might try making an R90CK but that will be very hard...

Ever since they announced this as an Ideas winner, I've been waiting for it to be released. Ordered the day it went online, but it ended up out of stock for a few days. It's on the way now, soon to be sitting next to my 10231 Shuttle Expeditition.
Looks amazing - and a nice touch being made of 1969 pieces :lol:

I'm extremely tempted to build a LEGO minifigure sized Saturn V, I already have so many ideas swirling in my head how to build the modules etc.

But boy, it would probably cost me 4000+ bucks since it would be 2 meters tall and consist of 10.000 parts or more. I wish I was rich... :(

I had to change the top color of the NES Console, Lid and Controller since Brick Link doesn't have the 'Pearl White' color. I did make the parts lists tho, I'll attach them in a bit.

NES-Console.png

NES-Lid.png

NES-Controller.png

I finished the Carriage with the underpinnings too. The blocks on the sides are to help weigh it down so when a game cartridge is inserted it will drop to the bottom. The (normal strength) shock absorber is just strong enough to lift the carriage up when empty.

NES-Carriage-With-Weights.png

What do you guys think, is the 'Light Bluish Gray' color too dark? Should I change it to something else, would 'White' be too...white for the NES?

EDIT: Yea I'm gonna go with White, its much closer to the real color.

I finished all the parts lists too, I've attached it. Once I get around to buying and building the set, I'll use LPub to make instructions and post them too. But that will be much much later on.

Jerome

I forgot to pop back in and say that I've finished my lego NES a couple months ago. It was a mad dash to finish it before baby #2 got here. Had to swap out a few pieces because bricklink didn't have all the pieces in the Lego CAD app, no biggie. She wasn't cheap tho, after shipping it was over $500 >_<

20170605_104658.jpg

20170605_104712.jpg

20170605_104727.jpg

Jerome

Looks amazing - and a nice touch being made of 1969 pieces :lol:
It looks amazing in the pictures online. In person, well, let's just say I can't look at it without laughing like an idiot.

The detail that the designers put into it is incredible. They got it to look as close to the F-1 engine as possible using LEGO pieces.

The Lunar Module and splashdown Command Module are great small display pieces.

I know a few GTPers have the LEGO Shuttle (10213/10231) from a few years back (I first heard about it on here, so thank/damn you to the OP of it:lol:), and I also have the 1990 Space Shuttle (1682) that are both completely overshadowed by the Saturn.

It's a fun build, displays well if you have room for it (it does break apart into the individual stages), and did I mention it looks incredible? Well worth the $120 they want for it.

I went to the Legoland Discovery Centre at the Trafford Centre in Manchester with my nephew on Saturday - it was good and he really enjoyed it, though being a bit of an old cynic I couldn't help but notice just how incredibly expensive everything was, from the entry - £19 adult/£15 child- (though I got in for free with a voucher) to the food available inside (Costa have an outlet imbedded in the centre), and all the frankly unnecessary add-ons (like the £7 photos that they take of you before you enter) - and that's before you exit the centre via the Lego Shop, which must be one of the most expensive places to buy Lego on Earth. Still, apart from lunch (which my Mum subsidized), it came to £19 (£15 entry + £4 for an 'activity pack') for about 3.5 hours of good fun, so it was definitely worth it for that - but had it been £38 (plus £12 for 'lunch') then I might not have been so impressed.

I went to the Legoland Discovery Centre at the Trafford Centre in Manchester with my nephew on Saturday - it was good and he really enjoyed it, though being a bit of an old cynic I couldn't help but notice just how incredibly expensive everything was, from the entry - £19 adult/£15 child- (though I got in for free with a voucher) to the food available inside (Costa have an outlet imbedded in the centre), and all the frankly unnecessary add-ons (like the £7 photos that they take of you before you enter) - and that's before you exit the centre via the Lego Shop, which must be one of the most expensive places to buy Lego on Earth. Still, apart from lunch (which my Mum subsidized), it came to £19 (£15 entry + £4 for an 'activity pack') for about 3.5 hours of good fun, so it was definitely worth it for that - but had it been £38 (plus £12 for 'lunch') then I might not have been so impressed.
Yeah, one of these is in Chadstone, only the biggest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere (which is right here in Melbourne). I didn't even go into the joint because it was too damn expensive. You are correct in saying that the prices of Lego are stupidly high there.

Decided to have a little go in the LDD, the other day. I haven't built in ages so feeling a bit rusty and didn't want to attempt anything too complicated.

Thought I'd do a small car, a Mini to be exact. It looks nothing like one due to the scale, I couldn't even fit a mini figure in it. Anyway, before I knew it, I got carried away. :lol:

35947447825_004a3f620c_c.jpg

35947447835_66c92ea161_c.jpg

It's (obviously) meant to be The Italian Job. It's far from exact and have had to use some artistic license here and there, but overall I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out. It's a bit heavy on brick usage though, at around 590 bricks. It has a footprint of 34 X 8 studs, so not huge. I might actually try and source the bricks and build it.

Decided to have a little go in the LDD, the other day. I haven't built in ages so feeling a bit rusty and didn't want to attempt anything too complicated.

Thought I'd do a small car, a Mini to be exact. It looks nothing like one due to the scale, I couldn't even fit a mini figure in it. Anyway, before I knew it, I got carried away. :lol:

35947447825_004a3f620c_c.jpg

35947447835_66c92ea161_c.jpg

It's (obviously) meant to be The Italian Job. It's far from exact and have had to use some artistic license here and there, but overall I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out. It's a bit heavy on brick usage though, at around 590 bricks. It has a footprint of 34 X 8 studs, so not huge. I might actually try and source the bricks and build it.

A lot of people would pay $$$ for that kit.

Awesome.

people would pay $$$ for that kit.

Yes, yes they would, considering the price of Lego these days. :lol:

Nah, seriously thanks Niky. 👍

I'm considering posting it over on the Lego Ideas site (think it used to be Lego Cusoo or something) and see whether it can gather some interest. I did hop back into the LDD over the weekend and added some additional vehicles (Alfa police car, Fiat 500 and motorcycle), but i feel the more vehicles I add and more pieces, it kind of loses its charm.

@Michael88

I loved the black, yellow and white Can-Am before but with the addition of the long-tail it looks even better! You really are an artist when it comes to crafting race cars using Lego. Superb work. 👍

I loved the black, yellow and white Can-Am before but with the addition of the long-tail it looks even better! You really are an artist when it comes to crafting race cars using Lego. Superb work. 👍
Thank you, being called an artist sure means a lot to me. :dopey:

I'm considering posting it over on the Lego Ideas site (think it used to be Lego Cusoo or something) and see whether it can gather some interest.
Good idea! However, I tried to gain interest for a model on this site and I found it extremely hard to keep my model afloat via site interaction. :scared: Getting results is quite hard as you need much more than just a good model.

On that note, I made further improvements, now the rear bodywork is completely removable and the mid section of the long tail has been slimmed down a little. The last two things the bugged me with this model.
ZJiQi7q.jpg

kl9rMfB.jpg

qKj7Zek.jpg

SZN3Hbd.jpg

xaJBFcT.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, being called an artist sure means a lot to me. :dopey:

Good idea! However, I tried to gain interest for a model on this site and I found it extremely hard to keep my model afloat via site interaction. :scared: Getting results is quite hard as you need much more than just a good model.
SNOT (studs not on top) builds take creative flare, so to me you're an artist. Lego is your medium. 👍

And yes, I occasionally check out the site and that does appear to be the case, it seems. Come across quite a few amazing builds that just don't seem to gather momentum or support. Still I guess there's no harm in testing the waters so to speak.
On that note, I made further improvements, now the rear bodywork is completely removable and the mid section of the long tail has been slimmed down a little. The last two things the bugged me with this model.
ZJiQi7q.jpg

kl9rMfB.jpg

qKj7Zek.jpg

SZN3Hbd.jpg

xaJBFcT.jpg
Again, that is superb! 👍 It just keeps on getting better. I especially like the additional little details, like the fire extinguisher and the cockpit bolsters (not sure what they're called).

Small Italian job update:

Had a little mess around in LDD last night and did a few additional vehicles. Firstly made a slight improvement to the Mini's rear bumper (tile instead of stud). Also added skylights to the coach:

The police bike's pretty standard, same with the scooter but I thought they'd make nice additions (although I don't recall there being any scooters in the film, they seem appropriate). The police car is my take on the Alfa Romeo Giulia. I know it doesn't look like one but i tried. :lol::

A couple of traffic vehicles. Fairly pleased with the Fiat 500 but getting the lady's hair to fit in the car was a bit of a nightmare. And although (like the scooter) I don't remember there being an Alfa Romeo GTV in the film, again (like the scooter) I thought it would make a fitting addition. The driver sits so low because of his hair, but then again it's a sports car:

It's a shame the cars are as small as they are, otherwise I'd be able to recreate the scene, where the guy gets a slap for his amorous advances (cars can't fit arms and torsos). :lol::

If i do share/submit my idea on the Lego site, I think I'll just leave the additional stuff out of it. As it is with the additions, the brick count is 946, which when you consider the Lego Caterham is around 700+ bricks and costs an amazing £75, I doubt very much anybody would be interested in my idea. Heck, even at around 590 bricks just for the Mini's and coach, it's steep. :lol:

Last edited:
Back