Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,399 comments
Six years I've been a member here and didn't realise there was a Lego thread!

I loved lego as a kid and now I have disposable income as an adult I really like to buy some of the bigger sets. Couple of pics of my collection.

FC2E6956-F525-4253-ABEC-213720929B43_1.jpg

482B1818-1649-4140-AEE7-E3B7012F1B4F_1.jpg

But by far my favorite set is this.

F0673DBC-0D48-4E36-A9CA-C152F5235272.jpg

It's just about finished in that pic. It's a bricklinked original Falcon which is sat in a fan designed Docking Bay 327. It's enormous and my plan is to get a clear Perspex cover for it, stick some legs on it and use it as a coffee table.
Nice!

Ive always wondered what site, app, program are you guys using to build the VR lego models?

I've seen various people posting images of things that they have built and though it would be cool to give it a shot.

Had to relax a little so I did a 1960's Strip Shovel type mining excavator quickbuild in LDD. It features two winches inside the cap with worm gears that can be accessed on the backside to operate the shovel.
I do not have any cables in LDD so use your imagination for the two cables that hold the boom and the other two cables that run from the winches in the engine house over the boom spools and attach to the shovel bridge. All the moving parts work like in a real strip shovel excavator.

It was fun to build. 850 parts. Might order the parts because I kind of like how it turned out. :)

Dragline2_zpsw3sgwkr0.jpg

Dragline1_zpslwzwufyx.jpg

Ok, Whats a good site to order pieces from?

The Slave one (in the photo above) is missing a few things that I can't track down from where they were stored. Namely the turrets and Boba. (got his helmet/pack, but no figure)

Is there a good site out there to order individual pieces from?

Ok, Whats a good site to order pieces from?

The Slave one (in the photo above) is missing a few things that I can't track down from where they were stored. Namely the turrets and Boba. (got his helmet/pack, but no figure)

Is there a good site out there to order individual pieces from?

through brickset,,,,.......... it is called bricklink

good luck :cheers:

Picked up the Caterham and Technics 911 during my road trip to Tennessee.
14611060_10211527268516714_575238749613186545_n.jpg

Did you like the built or not started yet? I just got this as a present from my dad and start building very soon. Noticed your box is a bit different, I don't have the "2704 pcs/pzs" and that small text next to it.

31845273606_8edf06fd37_b.jpg

Nice detail inside
31766091861_fec15ea903_b.jpg

31882925355_9a03b0775b_b.jpg

31845273596_edbbbcc218_b.jpg

It's going to be huge! 1/18 for comparison
31073424153_cb19a9a3b9_b.jpg

My dad seemed impressed with the Caterham, so I picked up the Beetle for him as a present and got the Mini for myself. Little did I know he bought a Mini for me, too!

What better way to bond with each other than a little competition? We set up next to each other and started a timer. We're only allowed to work on them at the same time. So far I think I'm winning, but it could go either way.

This is after 30 minutes, then another 40 minutes at my dad's request.

20161225_182842.jpg 20161226_101729.jpg 20161226_101739.jpg 20161226_101744.jpg 20161226_101758.jpg 20161226_101752.jpg

Technic Porsche is available at Asda for £174. Still a load of money but cheaper than the 250 that Lego want.

I picked mine up today.

@daan Was it worth the 170-odd quid? I saw it on Amazon for a similar amount just before Christmas but couldn't really justify the expense. What do you think of it?

Roo
@daan Was it worth the 170-odd quid? I saw it on Amazon for a similar amount just before Christmas but couldn't really justify the expense. What do you think of it?
It's a tough question as it is a great kit with a load of detail (and it's even more massive than I thought) but I'd have to say no. It seems to me that Porsche have had too much to do with it. Even if you manage to sort it so the body is easily removable, everything is still hidden behind a transmission tunnel and black panels (middle pic of post 977). To me, technic is a balancing act between showing off the mechanicals, and panelling it so it looks more like what it should look like. They've taken the panelling way too far in this kit. Although it is obviously a very accurate (for Lego) rendition of a 911.

It's a tough question as it is a great kit with a load of detail (and it's even more massive than I thought) but I'd have to say no. It seems to me that Porsche have had too much to do with it. Even if you manage to sort it so the body is easily removable, everything is still hidden behind a transmission tunnel and black panels (middle pic of post 977). To me, technic is a balancing act between showing off the mechanicals, and panelling it so it looks more like what it should look like. They've taken the panelling way too far in this kit. Although it is obviously a very accurate (for Lego) rendition of a 911.

Thanks for that. The comments I'd read elsewhere echoed your opinion of the set; I'm glad I didn't order it now. Probably would've if I had the money, mind you.

Roo
Thanks for that. The comments I'd read elsewhere echoed your opinion of the set; I'm glad I didn't order it now. Probably would've if I had the money, mind you.
Yeah, if you had the money to spare, I would heartily recommended it. You do get a lot of satisfaction from the build.

Is it bad that even on this level of detail, I'm able to tell which team's livery each car is based on?

I did think for a second that the car in the middle was in fact a Toyota, so I guess it's not that bad.
Well it isn't that bad considering that's what I was aiming for :lol:

I assume on each car you're going to add a 1x1 round plate to represent the driver's helmet?

Yeah, that's the plan. I was planning on using the lever piece but they don't come in enough colours.

Edit for progress:
F1grid.lxf_ - LEGO Digital Designer 07_01_2017 14_38_38.png
F1grid.lxf_ - LEGO Digital Designer 07_01_2017 14_38_56.png
F1grid.lxf_ - LEGO Digital Designer 07_01_2017 14_39_11.png

Last edited:
@daan

Did you know to flip the 2 outside gears at the end of stage 1 to get the gearbox to work sequentially (the 2 outside cogs on the very back of the transmission)?

If not, I think the gearbox goes 1-3-2-4.

Ended up up visiting the local Lego store last weekend.

I didn't pick up anything too elaborate while I was there. But I did pick up this 78572 Audi R18 e-tron quattro
lego_75872_prod_pri_1488.jpg

Its a pretty nice set overall. My only complaint is the appearance of the back fenders. They are just a little too blocky looking. I may have to break it down a bit and reshape them with some curved pieces similar to how they did things on the front fenders of the car.

I picked up a few of the of the Series 20 Batman Movie mini figures for me and the kids too.
I ended up getting the Joker and Catman. They will look pretty good next to the Red Hood I picked up a few weeks ago.
(Red Hood is probably the best looking in the set IMO)
My Kids ended up getting Harley Quinn and March Harriet, so they were happy.

I also managed to get my hands on one of the Batman Promo poly bag sets while I was there. (Movie Batman w/ Bat signal) The Kids did the little scavenger hunt around the store to earn theirs, and when they were claiming their reward I just asked nicely if I could have one too for helping out. Once I get that built I'll put it next to the other Batman Poly Bag I found at Target a while back. (30522)

Back