Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,394 comments
From the Youtube reviews of some of the Chinese knockoff Lego sets, the quality is supposedly pretty decent. Like it's hard to tell the difference to actual Lego. It's just molded plastic, so I'm sure it's fine.

Don't forget that LEGO bricks are also manufactured in China.

Heck, what isn't these days...

One thing though, I grew up with LEGO so I hate to say this, but LEGO is DRAMATICALLY overpriced for what it is. Its tiny pieces of plastic after all.

Last edited:
RSR with mods. Lowered, translucent green light covers. I wanted the yellow ones, but too expensive to get.

I also recessed the lights . I grinded 2 parts for that. I accept the Lego police comes after me.

013FEE66-A41E-4CB2-8797-0B3D58CC9A1F.jpeg
E1427181-3DC0-4981-9FE6-0AD9021D0EE1.jpeg
9453162F-C24B-476F-A8A3-8C64D0E67AF9.jpeg
6707F702-D11A-4227-A11B-5C6667AD882F.jpeg
C62F9F29-9262-4001-B3F1-88564AB1F4B9.jpeg
AE5A0A34-00A9-4BCD-8C98-CBB5FC5D1E78.jpeg

The lowering mod definitely makes this set a LOT better looking.

I personally don't think lowering it improves it significantly, so I never did the mod. The underlying issue is that the tires are too low profile, so the overall wheel is too small.

I personally don't think lowering it improves it significantly, so I never did the mod. The underlying issue is that the tires are too low profile, so the overall wheel is too small.
ch

I does improve the looks. It takes away the technic suspension. At 49y old, I don't play with these toys anymore.

Very cool, what a dream. Man, if I we're a millionaire... I'd be able to buy a few of those sets! :lol:

Also, neat to see the box for the old Black Seas Barracuda (6285) set because I now realize they used a similar "Legoland" design for the recent Pirates of Barracuda Bay (21322). I knew the new set was a throwback (you can even build the old 6285 set with the new set), but was not aware the box itself was a throwback.

Old set:
Box_front.jpg

New set:
s-l640.jpg

Another bonus fact about this set, Red Beard, the main pirate has grey in his beard because the sets are 30 some years apart (old left, new right). Presumably, the ship from the old set crashed and set up a pirate island. Cool detail if you ask me. ALSO (more facts), notice the scull has changed to be more of a Minifigure look.
latest

Last edited:
I whipped this up last night. It should (hopefully?) be big enough for Yahtzee, DnD or whatever dice games there are.

DnD Dice Tower.png

DnD Dice Tower B.png

I'll post pictures of it built in a couple weeks or so, once the pieces arrive.

Stud.io 2.0 won't render the image because it doesn't yet support my RTX 3080 :lol:

Jerome

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I have picked up the ISS to go with the lander and Saturn V yet. Now this.

I need to think of what I can do to make "space" for them. Ba dum dum, pssssh!

But really, I need to get some floating wall shelves or something cause I want all their NASA stuff too.

Jerome

Who likes heavy machinery Technic sets?! Quite frankly, I think they're more interesting than the large Technic cars because they're usually more complex.

Built both of these. Left is set 42054 Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC and right is 42114 Volvo 6x6 Articulated Hauler. Both have motor functions, though the Volvo is app controlled with a phone.
51004297120_4bbd682b1a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Just waiting for the two black swords to arrive (from Singapore). I haven't played DnD before, but it should fit basically every die out there unless it's over an inch in diameter. It's probably a bit too big, but o well, I may shrink it down later. I'll also fill in the inner-top part with more checkered tile to finish off the look.

IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG

After texting my old (nerdy) boss who plays DnD, I shrunk it down a bit.

IMG_0285.JPG

I'll be adding an archway in the front to replace the inverted 33s and some small windows on the sides. Then add an emblem/banner in the front.

Jerome

Last edited:
Who likes heavy machinery Technic sets?! Quite frankly, I think they're more interesting than the large Technic cars because they're usually more complex.

Built both of these. Left is set 42054 Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC and right is 42114 Volvo 6x6 Articulated Hauler. Both have motor functions, though the Volvo is app controlled with a phone.
51004297120_4bbd682b1a_b.jpg

I always found the heavy equipment sets to be pretty cool, despite not having an interest in the real life machinery as much. But the Lego sets seem cool, though funny enough my brother ended up buying the Volvo 6x6. Hope to get to that at some point, builds look great!

Spent Easter day at home building the 930 911 set. Overall pleased with it, especially not having to deal with stickers. Does make me kind of want to build the Mustang, even though I'm not that into it.
168832366_10226125835111755_217228677641070711_n.jpg

168048714_10226125835911775_3000253144892120493_n.jpg

Spent Easter day at home building the 930 911 set. Overall pleased with it, especially not having to deal with stickers. Does make me kind of want to build the Mustang, even though I'm not that into it.
Awesome. Such a great set, the 911. I felt the same way about the Mustang so I did end up grabbing one and building it over the weekend. I am just as impressed with the Mustang as the 911, actually, it's just as well designed overall. The downside, but not a deal breaker, is that there are stickers. The side stripes and rear window vents are print pieces, though.

I'll take pictures with the 911 soon.
51096272349_0d5e9e7605_b.jpg

Engine bay is nicely detailed.
51096270979_7a3aff2e50_b.jpg

The doors have the same satisfying "clunk" when you close them like the 911. Not a bad interior.
51096270194_b89152dc26_b.jpg

Last edited:
Better pictures.

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

The NASA on the bay doors and the Discovery name are stickers :yuck: but the United States and flag on the side and US/NASA on the wings are printed. There are shiny silver stickers that go on the insides of the doors, but I left them off. The top rocket nozzle rotates and moves the elevators. If you push in the plate at the back, underneath the rocket nozzles, the landing gear pops out.

The Hubble fits on the inside and there is another stand that leaves it half out of the shuttle bay as if it is being held by the arm.

All in all, it's a great kit.

EDIT:
DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

Last edited:
That shuttle looks great! My brother is building one now so I am looking forward to seeing it completed.

I have been looking at classic sets to collect... nostalgia costs a lot of money, though.
OARcGXgsJbtsGjnezpmryUvxNbIwEKZodtX2M2iisGyS52fKH_gQV5ip-cjsoh_5urwETC-ZxiK9ISuTCP8ew6ddhb3byqVPy9Nlq3M=s0-d-e1-ft
Bought two small sets to start, Oasis Ambush (5938) from the 1998 Adventurer's Egypt series with a mind blowing 76 pieces and Spider's Secret (5936) from the 1999 Adventurer's Amazon series with an equally impressive low piece count of 126. I had some Adventurers sets as a kid, but smaller than these two if you could believe it. Always wanted more of them, but got other Lego sets instead.

These may not look like much and by today's standards these sets should not be worth talking about, really. BUT, these are the kind of sets I had as a kid and we had to fill in the blanks with our imagination to make up for the low piece count. The simplicity of old Lego is strangely appealing to me and I love the way the old boxes look. Not going to go crazy with buying old sets, but I thought it would be fun to have a small slice of my childhood.

51103004248_d5c4997acf_b.jpg

Last edited:
Two years ago I came across this youtube clip. I immediately felt sorry for this guy. Normally, these kinds of clips are pathetic but not this one. It is obvious what Lego means to people. Even though it is only Lego, it is also a hobby, something people care about a lot.

Maybe this clip has been posted already two years ago. When I watched a part of this clip, I immediately felt sorry for this guy again.
It also shows that people can be very supportive, kind and helpful.

and his thanks to all the people who supported him.

Lego FTW.

Not going to go crazy with buying old sets, but I thought it would be fun to have a small slice of my childhood.
This was a lie. :lol:

I ended up finding decent deals on two large sets I always wanted when I was a kid, but never got. Amazon Ancient Ruins (5986) from 1999 and Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins (5988) from 1998.

Both used but included 100% of the pieces, all mini-figures and the instructions in excellent shape, but no box for either set. I'm pretty thrilled to finally own both after about 23 years, they are just as cool as I thought they would be.

51118470037_d77181b195_b.jpg

Fiddled around with my Can-Am model, made it entirely black, made new rear view mirrors and gave it a windshield. The Can-Am cars back in the 70's all had crazy windshields in all kinds of colors, so the light green panels and the curved windshield work really well IMO. And the doors still work!

Jizbyuo.jpg

B8B9PVe.jpg

zxmnxXU.jpg

Latest Posts

Back