Logitech G29 / G920 Driving Force Racing Wheel

• Thread starter drivatar
  • 1,154 comments
VBR
I've never noticed any deadzone at all in Logitech G wheels, not having any is what causes them to oscilate in games like Gran Turismo.

Sorry I should've been clearer. As Awong said, it's FFB deadzone, not input deadzone. Because of the way the gear driven wheel works (for my G25, I can't vouch for G27/29) there is always +/- 1-2 degrees in the middle where there is no force feedback. This is why the Minimum Force slider exists in AC, to combat this type of behaviour from old gear driven wheels. If you're not used to it, it can seem like the wheel is off centre slightly during straights.

Gran Turismo optimizes G25 very well tbh. Much better than PC sims. There is very little input deadzone and the FFB deadzone is the smallest out of all sims I've played. It doesn't oscillate for me except for 3 very specific cases - F2007 in GT5P, Red Bull X cars in GT5 and SRT Tomahawk in GT6.

Not sure if this has been asked or attempted but are the G29/G920 pedals interchangeable? as in I could use a G29 wheel with pedals for a G920? Reason being is i am considering in getting G29 wheel and I have a G920 and if i can keep my pedals inplace on my stand.....changing the wheel when needed would not be all that hard...

Not sure if this has been asked or attempted but are the G29/G920 pedals interchangeable? as in I could use a G29 wheel with pedals for a G920? Reason being is i am considering in getting G29 wheel and I have a G920 and if i can keep my pedals inplace on my stand.....changing the wheel when needed would not be all that hard...

Yes you can, you can also use the G27 pedals on the G920/G29 and vice versa.

I presume it would work, as I'm currently using my G29 wheel with my G25 pedal set.

VBR
I presume it would work, as I'm currently using my G29 wheel with my G25 pedal set.

Yep, the pedals and their wiring has been exactly the same since the G25; so they are the same pedal set with the same resolution. I assume Logitech did things in such a way to keep manufacturing costs low.

Well, I took back my G29 and got a replacement, which i've been playing for the past week and, well, I don't know why I didn't get one sooner.

I've had a good go on all of the top driving games for PS4 but Dirt Rally tops the lot. Mind you, i'm absolutely loving the latest F1 game as well. Assetto Corsa on the other hand, erm, yeah. I'm not really feeling it. Maybe its the abysmal career mode of something, I dunno, but its all a bit average so far. Project Cars is better, imo, but we'll see. I've yet to invest some serious hours into them.

And i've read people going on about how excellent the FFB is in Assetto Corsa compared to Project Cars but to me, it feels roughly the same. I've tinkered with the settings a little, in both games, and i'm struggling to notice much of a difference. The only thing I can think off is that theres little 'rumble' on the kerbs with Project Cars, but a few more adjustments should sort that out. Personally, I like the FFB in F1 2016. It has a nice 'wheel resistance' effect and when you go off track you get a bone juddering shake going on, as it should be.

And the LeGeNd-1, i'm sure you know what you're talking about, but its not going to take me a year before i've fully got to grips with using a wheel, after using a controller for so long. Maybe its my real world driving experience i've referred to before, I dunno, but i'm already driving the tits out of cars like I never could with a controller. It all feels so natural, compared to trying to wrestle a 500 bhp monster round a circuit. I'm finding driving lines and achieving times I never thought possible before....I've been playing a lot of Dirt Rally and i'm regularly finishing in the top tiers of lap times already. Just earlier, I thought I was Tommi Makkinen with the way I was taming the twisty gravel roads of Greece!

Alas, I hope I don't sound like i'm blowing my trumpet. I don't mean to. Its just that i've seemingly picked it up quite quickly.

Good to know you're adapting well Betelguese 👍 Definitely I think it's your real world experience, games these days having better FFB, and you're certainly a much better driver than I was when I first started :lol: As I mentioned I was pretty handy with a pad before, and I have no real world experience. Starting off with GT5P after jumping from GT1/2 not 6 months prior was also a huge shock. Also I did not have a proper mounting for my wheel AND since I never work out and started off with FFB 10...you get the idea :lol: All the odds were stacked against me. I also didn't play for months at a time because of school and stuff, so my learning process is quite disjointed and I have to start again from nil everytime.

Pretty surprised when you say AC FFB isn't as good as you thought. Possible high expectations from everyone on here perharps :lol: Generally PCARS FFB is alright, but the simulation of the cars isn't as convincing as AC in my opinion. AC just has that little bit extra authenticity in the way the car moves, transfers weights and reacts to bumps on the track. PCARS is good but is lacking that sim hardcore-ness. Never tried F1 2016 so I can't comment.

Is it just me or is it rare to have a G29 that is bang on centre? I've had two now and both of em have the blue marker on the top pointing in a '59 seconds' position when i'm driving in a straight line. It's only very slightly off centre, and it doesn't affect the gameplay. One of my friends has recently bought one and it's exactly the same, but ever so slightly off to the right, in a '1 second' position.

So, anyone have a plush G29 that is smack down the middle when driving in a straight line or is this just the way they are?

Can't speak for G29, but I've tried 2 G25s (my old one and a fresh backup) and a friend's G27 and they are all slightly off centre. My old wheel is the worst, the other 2 is really only noticeable if you look for it. The G25 and G27 does not have the center stripe like the G29, so it's not as noticeable I suppose. With the G29 because it has that blue line I imagine it's pretty distracting if it's not dead centre :lol:

What happens when you try to drive a car slowly with no hands on the wheel?

Never tried it slow, but at high speeds it will start to wobble, slowly at first then it will get more and more violent before you spin out of control. I imagine if you try it on a completely smooth track (SSRX) and at a slow enough speed it will stay reasonably straight.

Am I doing it wrong by immediately turning off all driver aids on all cars, including traction control, and trying to tame each car that way? It all started like this because, obviously, I started out with the rubbish cars, the Fiat 500's, the FWD cars etc, and I quickly got frustrated using them so I turned off all driver aids and it was miles better to control and drive. Thing is, I now feel compelled to do this with every car otherwise it just doesn't feel right.

For example, I decided to switch the traction control back on in a BMW race in Assetto Corsa because I was spinning out 2 or 3 times per race and was getting a little frustrated, just a little....Anyway, with traction control back on it was like driving a train, you know. You just press the accelerator to go and brake to stop and let the driver aids do the rest. There was no subtlety to it, no finesse, just a mildly dull drive to the flag.

Maybe it's just me or not, I dunno, but both Assetto Corsa and Project Cars are more frustrating, yeah, but way more fun with the driving aids all turned off. I tried the KTM X-Bow in Assetto Corsa for the first time earlier and man, 'twas fun, mainly because it comes as standard without TC and ABS. Also, I feel as though it's helping my transition process from controller to wheel come along at a much faster rate than usual as well, but again, I dunno.

So, erm, I guess I was going to ask for veterans advice about how to continue. Proceed as I am at the minute without using driver aids and have a baptism of fire or get used to using traction control and slowly build up to turning off driver aids....But I'm not going to ask that question because I'm pleased with the way it's going. Yeah its tough at times but I'd rather feel like I'm driving the car instead of it driving itself.

A question I can ask is, is anybody in a similar mindset or are you happy to use driving aids willy nilly?

A question I can ask is, is anybody in a similar mindset or are you happy to use driving aids willy nilly?
I only keep ABS on but always start every car with factory TCS/ABS set then switch off traction. As well as tyre wear and fuel consumption on.

I'll only switch on traction control when the temperatures are quite cool but I never go for the most used traction system since it makes the car very stiff. I like it on the loose side and agile.

Am I doing it wrong by immediately turning off all driver aids on all cars, including traction control, and trying to tame each car that way? It all started like this because, obviously, I started out with the rubbish cars, the Fiat 500's, the FWD cars etc, and I quickly got frustrated using them so I turned off all driver aids and it was miles better to control and drive. Thing is, I now feel compelled to do this with every car otherwise it just doesn't feel right.

For example, I decided to switch the traction control back on in a BMW race in Assetto Corsa because I was spinning out 2 or 3 times per race and was getting a little frustrated, just a little....Anyway, with traction control back on it was like driving a train, you know. You just press the accelerator to go and brake to stop and let the driver aids do the rest. There was no subtlety to it, no finesse, just a mildly dull drive to the flag.

Maybe it's just me or not, I dunno, but both Assetto Corsa and Project Cars are more frustrating, yeah, but way more fun with the driving aids all turned off. I tried the KTM X-Bow in Assetto Corsa for the first time earlier and man, 'twas fun, mainly because it comes as standard without TC and ABS. Also, I feel as though it's helping my transition process from controller to wheel come along at a much faster rate than usual as well, but again, I dunno.

So, erm, I guess I was going to ask for veterans advice about how to continue. Proceed as I am at the minute without using driver aids and have a baptism of fire or get used to using traction control and slowly build up to turning off driver aids....But I'm not going to ask that question because I'm pleased with the way it's going. Yeah its tough at times but I'd rather feel like I'm driving the car instead of it driving itself.

As I have recommended in my massive post above, the sooner you get used to driving without aids the better it will be in the long run. If you already feel comfortable now, great! You're on the right track I'd say 👍 The only aids I would consider using is ABS, if the real car has one. It doesn't make sense to turn this off for modern hybrid hypercars for example, because their hybrid systems with complex regen are designed with ABS in mind. In AC it's easy: just leave it in Factory settings. TCS I almost never use, except for F1 cars pre 2008, because again their engine mappings are designed with TCS in mind and it doesn't make sense to drive it without one.

Proceed as I am at the minute without using driver aids and have a baptism of fire or get used to using traction control and slowly build up to turning off driver aids....

I never use driving aids, I like to be controlling the car without interference of any kind and if I make a mistake it's all my own fault. Even in GT6 (with it's rubbish braking), I would not use ABS and I like to think that I was slightly quicker without using the ABS and if I wasn't quicker, it certainly felt better.

It's just nice mastering a car and being able to tame it. 👍

In GT6 I used no aids at all. In GT5 I had to use ABS because of the poor braking model. In AC I only use ABS, because just like GT5 the brakes lock up ridiculously early with it off. Just go with whatever works for you, & whatever you find most fun & enjoyable. We're all different, there is no right or wrong way.

I should have clarified but I use factory settings on all vehicles and see how it goes. The thing is, 9 out of 10 cars have far too much electronic assistance that takes away control from the driver, so I end up inevitably turning off traction control to have a more 'pure' driving experience. I always keep ABS on but everything else is usually switched off within two minutes.

Like the new Porsche GT3 RS for example. With traction control it's a dull drive, but turn it off and it's a completely different beast. You have to use subtle pedal and wheel control to keep it from tank slapping on you and need a reasonable amount of skill to put in a quick lap time. Turn on traction control though and it's just a case of accelerate, brake, turn, accelerate, brake and turn, etc. No subtlety required....That's my take on it anyway.

I should have clarified but I use factory settings on all vehicles and see how it goes. The thing is, 9 out of 10 cars have far too much electronic assistance that takes away control from the driver, so I end up inevitably turning off traction control to have a more 'pure' driving experience. I always keep ABS on but everything else is usually switched off within two minutes.

Like the new Porsche GT3 RS for example. With traction control it's a dull drive, but turn it off and it's a completely different beast. You have to use subtle pedal and wheel control to keep it from tank slapping on you and need a reasonable amount of skill to put in a quick lap time. Turn on traction control though and it's just a case of accelerate, brake, turn, accelerate, brake and turn, etc. No subtlety required....That's my take on it anyway.

For some weird reason, lower numbers on TCS means more intereference in AC. So TC at 1 is actually more restrictive than TC at 10. Give higher numbers a try if you absolutely must use TCS, but as I said, TC OFF is best.

For some weird reason, lower numbers on TCS means more intereference in AC. So TC at 1 is actually more restrictive than TC at 10. Give higher numbers a try if you absolutely must use TCS, but as I said, TC OFF is best.

Yeah, I recently figured out that the higher the setting, the lower the effect. Kind of the opposite way you'd expect it to be but yeah....And no, I rarely use traction control because when it's on it takes away any challenge. It's much more fun driving without any electronic interference.

Anyhoo, anyone got any opinions on Seb Loeb Rally and WRC 5? They're currently on sale on the PS Store for a dirt cheap price. Presumably both work with the G29?

Yeah, I recently figured out that the higher the setting, the lower the effect. Kind of the opposite way you'd expect it to be but yeah....And no, I rarely use traction control because when it's on it takes away any challenge. It's much more fun driving without any electronic interference.

Anyhoo, anyone got any opinions on Seb Loeb Rally and WRC 5? They're currently on sale on the PS Store for a dirt cheap price. Presumably both work with the G29?
Sébastien Loeb Evo is worth buying on sale. It's a good alternative to DiRT Rally, especially if you want to avoid layouts getting stale and memorized.

I am interested with g29 but googling I've read many that has button activation issue where all the button suddenly activates while you're playing.

Has this issue been resolved by Logitech? It scares me to buy such expensive wheel only to get a lemon. Plus at my place warranty issue is hard to solve

I am interested with g29 but googling I've read many that has button activation issue where all the button suddenly activates while you're playing.

Has this issue been resolved by Logitech? It scares me to buy such expensive wheel only to get a lemon. Plus at my place warranty issue is hard to solve

Something similar happens with the Thrustmaster T300. It will sometimes activate share by itself for some reason. So it seems those kinds of issues aren't limited to the G29.

so it hasn't been resolved yet?
I have been using the G29 wheels since they first came out and I am on 3rd G29, I have never encountered any button activation issue where all the button suddenly activates while you're playing. If you encounter any problems with the G29 wheel just keep a receipt just in case if you have to return it.

Back