Lots of Games have it Now. Should GT 5 have a Rewind Option?

• Thread starter Simple SIM
  • 1,300 comments

Gameplay Rewind Feature. Opinions.

• I will only buy GT5 if it makes it into the game.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, it should be in GT5.

Votes: 19 5.8%
  • I don't care if it is included, nor if it isn't.

Votes: 71 21.8%
  • No, it shouldn't be in GT5.

Votes: 210 64.6%
  • I won't buy GT5 if it makes it into the game.

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • I would never use it if it's in the game.

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I would use it only during practice.

Votes: 30 9.2%
  • I would use it only during races.

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • I would use it in both modes (racing and practice).

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Other (explain).

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I say yes, if you dont like dont use it. I like it because you dont have to restart the WHOLE endurance race if you mess up at the last 2 laps.

Also why do you care? if is good implemented like in Forza 3 nothing happens, i mean if you use it your lap time wont be better than any time made without using it and its a ONLY singleplayer feature, if you dont like it, dont use it and why do you care what others do in their own singleplayer experience.

If they use it a lot they will suck in multiplayer.

Rewind just seems like a poke in the eye, and I have to tell you, that dumb "Rewind" banner reminder had better be disable-able or it's going to cause me headaches. Every time you touch a freaking blade of grass, it pops up, and I CAN'T STAND IT.
You can turn it off....
No. And I'm going to state my reasons why the way some others would say- Gran Turismo is a sim racer, not a racing version of recent Prince of Persia games. No. You screw up too many times, just take a loss. Think about your mistakes and try to learn from them before starting another race. I don't want to see this rewind feature in a racing game the likes of a Gran Turismo game. Do you see Marcos Ambrose wanting a rewind when he basically threw away the Nationwide series race to Carl Edwards? I know it's just a game, but a rewind feature has no place in Gran Turismo. Don't want to see this.
Then don't use it?
Why: Because people will secretly abuse it in career mode and we won't really know how good they were. Won't affect online. It just doesn't feel right in a Gran Turismo.
Like you know what people are already doing in their games. :rolleyes:
Just about to say the exact same thing.
GT5 is not an arcade racer, if you want that, get Forza 3 or GRID.
Why the hell is this so hard to get through such thick skulls?

It doesn't affect the physics, so how does it make the game suddenly arcade if the physics are still realistic? It doesn't.

I will say it again... having a rewind button does not make you use the rewind button... being the kind of person who uses the rewind button makes you use the rewind button.

If you don't like the idea of rewind and it ruins the game for you, you won't use it and nothing will change. If you find it beneficial, you will use it.

Having played quite a few games with rewind, I can honestly say it did not in any way ruin the games for me, it just gave the option to remove some really annoying parts (ie taking yourself out of the running late in a long race). Basically at the point I would have otherwise "pause/restart" I now rewind. I didn't restart before for every littel problem and I don't rewind for every little problem either.

It takes away none of the challenge that restarting didnt, it just takes away the a lot of annoying monotony.

When you are under pressure you are trying harder to get everything perfect, a rewing button would, without a doubt be a load of your mind. Its not teaching you how to drive its letting you have another go.
If I knew I could just retake a corner, why would I bother putting the effort in.

Yeah it aint hardcore when theres options like that.

How did you learn to drive better without rewind? You tried, screwed up, learned, adjusted, retried, repeate until you got it right.

Rewind does the same thing. If you never learn how to drive, rewind won't help, you will just end up rewinding into the same mistake over and over until you do learn how to drive.

Rewind is like being able to restart a race but better because it lets you learn a bit at a time at specifically whatever part you are having trouble with.

It seems that people are afraid this is somehow going to let people cheat or devalue your experience somehow...

First off leaderboard scores with rewind should obviously be noted as such but otherwise there is no effect on your game if someone else chooses to use rewind.

When it comes time to compete, it will be your skill against theirs, rewind won't play apart. What they do alone in their own single player games, what does that matter to you?

Driving assists and driving lines aren't exactly hardcore either... when is the last time you saw a racetrack with dynamic colored lines on it? It doesn't make the game worse, it makes the game more accessible to those who need it and makes the game more fun for those who feel using it is fun. For those who don't like it, it doesn't do anything to the game becuase you don't have to use it.

Last edited:
It doesn't affect the physics, so how does it make the game suddenly arcade if the physics are still realistic? It doesn't.

Because it allows you to rectify your errors.
Last time I checked, there's no "Rewind" feature in Formula 1, WRC, Nascar, Le Mans or Super GT.
It may not affect the physics, but it affects the game.
Remember it's "The Real Driving Simulator."

Not only is it time consuming, a waste of cash, and cheating. But it's also an issue of principle. Polyphony has their reputation to keep up, which self-respecting racing game maker puts a rewind option in their game and still have the face to tack "the real driving simulator" on their logo? Seriously, Rewindists just give it up, never gonna happen.

Last time I checked, there's no "Rewind" feature in Formula 1, WRC, Nascar, Le Mans or Super GT.

The last time i check theres no restart, no pause, when you crash you LOSE your car, you may get injured, you lost race weekends.
Also the last time i check Gran Turismo was a GAME!.

This is one of those things some people are just TOO uptight in their own closed thinking, mainly because if they grew with this type of things. I can see some of you guys arguing about restart or pause if those features were not in the game by now.

Again, if you dont like it, dont use it and let others have their own singleplayer experience.

Not only is it time consuming, a waste of cash, and cheating. But it's also an issue of principle. Polyphony has their reputation to keep up, which self-respecting racing game maker puts a rewind option in their game and still have the face to tack "the real driving simulator" on their logo? Seriously, Rewindists just give it up, never gonna happen.

To both of you, why isn't it cheating or ruing their reputation to have an assisted driving line?

The last time i check theres no restart, no pause, when you crash you LOSE your car, you may get injured, you lost race weekends.
Also the last time i check Gran Turismo was a GAME!.

This is one of those things some people are just TOO uptight in their own closed thinking, mainly because if they grew with this type of things. I can see some of you guys arguing about restart or pause if those features were not in the game by now.

Again, if you dont like it, dont use it and let others have their own singleplayer experience.
Rewinding is a stupid feature and it will make all of us GT fans look bad, so just drop it and go play moar NFS and Grid and other games that let you rewind to your heart's content.

To both of you, why isn't it cheating or ruing their reputation to have an assisted driving line?
Because it isn't? In the same way that when you crash at 200MPH in the game and not die is not cheating. PLay moar prince of persia and stop demanding crappy features.

Rewinding is a stupid feature and it will make all of us GT fans look bad, so just drop it and go play moar NFS and Grid and other games that let you rewind to your heart's content.

Can you explain why it will make you look bad? The ones posting leaderboard topping times without using rewind (I assume any game with rewind will mark a rewind hotlap as such so you know) are still the same drivers.

Outside of that, where does anyone know anything about you and your singl player driving anyway?

Because it isn't? PLay moar prince of persia and stop demanding crappy features.

Oh shoot... I totally forgot about that. Silly me, how could I overlook the fact that it just isn't... I feel so daft now! :)

I have no problems with driving lines.
Follow them if you want, you can still lose control and end up in the dirt.
If you make a mistake, the driving line won't help you get back on the track.

Yeah, im sure that people at the street are going to point me a say "look! he is a GT fan that use rewind! shame on him". Also i would laugh, just like im laughing about the fact that you care how other people think about how you play a game in sigleplayer.

And in case that you care about what other have to say then il tell you that hardcore PC sim guys think that GT is a joke compared with LFS, RACE 07, Rfactor, etc.

Explain us whats the BIG difference between rewind feature VS restart, pause.

Can you explain why it will make you look bad? The ones posting leaderboard topping times without using rewind (I assume any game with rewind will mark a rewind hotlap as such so you know) are still the same drivers.

Outside of that, where does anyone know anything about you and your singl player driving anyway?
because rewinding option not only has all the flaws I pointed out above like MAKE THE GAME TAKE LONGER TO COME OUT, it's also a feature that came from prince of persia where its primary focus is for the spectacle of it, it's tacky, stupid and unsophisticated. "Hey look ImmA REWINDIN WOOOOOOOOOTT"

GT is classy, it doesn't have stupid bullet time effects, scores that pop on your screen for doing a donut, or wannabe fast and furious video shooting modes, and as such, over dramatic displays of making a game rewind to add spectacle sucks and doesn't belong within a 5 kilometer radius of GT. Keep the trash to other games.

I suggested the option to restart from certain points in the lap, which clearly is a superior option more in tune with driving simulation since you'd start at the start of a series of corners designed to be taken in succession. But NO, rewindists think some sparkly, matrixy, crappy, idiotic feature that no one wants is something GT can't do without because some other game has it.

No, just No. The sooner y'all stop wanting stupid features and playing the devil's advocate, the sooner GT5 comes out and I can play the game, if you don't like it, read the thread title, lots of games have it now, so buy those other games if you'll die from not being able to rewind.

Rewinding is a stupid feature and it will make all of us GT fans look bad
Says who? Not one anti rewinder has given a reason for rewind being unrealistic, cheating, or negative to their gameplay experience.
Because it isn't? In the same way that when you crash at 200MPH in the game and not die is not cheating. PLay moar prince of persia and stop demanding crappy features.

OK, but because I say so, rewinding isn't cheating. Now you're wrong. Go play more Mario Kart where the technology that exists for real life replication of reality is not manifested in a simulation game.

because rewinding option not only has all the flaws I pointed out above like MAKE THE GAME TAKE LONGER TO COME OUT, it's also a feature that came from prince of persia where its primary focus is for the spectacle of it, it's tacky, stupid and unsophisticated. "Hey look ImmA REWINDIN WOOOOOOOOOTT"

GT is classy, it doesn't have stupid bullet time effects, scores that pop on your screen for doing a donut, or wannabe fast and furious video shooting modes, and as such, over dramatic displays of making a game rewind to add spectacle sucks and doesn't belong within a 5 kilometer radius of GT. Keep the trash to other games.

I suggested the option to restart from certain points in the lap, which clearly is a superior option more in tune with driving simulation since you'd start at the start of a series of corners designed to be taken in succession. But NO, rewindists think some sparkly, matrixy, crappy, idiotic feature that no one wants is something GT can't do without because some other game has it.

No, just No. The sooner y'all stop wanting stupid features and playing the devil's advocate, the sooner GT5 comes out and I can play the game, if you don't like it, read the thread title, lots of games have it now, so buy those other games if you'll die from not being able to rewind.

OUTRAGEOUS. ILLOGICAL.

I've seen my score pop up when I drift. It's in tune to music too. And has some flags for visual effect.

Rewind is not for wow factor, it will help with driving skills. Starting at some radom point on a track isn't better. You can't just teleport.

And, believe it or not, there are things called simulators which allow us to probe close to reality with less restrictions. If simulators exist in reality, why can't they exist in virtual reality?

Doesn't make the game arcade.

The problem with your posts is that you keep posting your opinion & adding on childish remarks. I don't think anyone needs to care anymore what you think because you'll just repeat yourself.

Says who? Not one anti rewinder has given a reason for rewind being unrealistic, cheating, or negative to their gameplay experience.

OK, but because I say so, rewinding isn't cheating. Now you're wrong. Go play more Mario Kart where the technology that exists for real life replication of reality is not manifested in a simulation game.

Doesn't make the game arcade.

The problem with your posts is that you keep posting your opinion & adding on childish remarks. I don't think anyone needs to care anymore what you think because you'll just repeat yourself.
Rewinding is cheating, and because of this, Kaz will never put it in the game, how much you wanna bet? I say the loser buys the winner a brand new playseat. :sly:

Stop asking me to explain why this and why that and read the thread, it's been explained already. If you're still not satisfied, then continue being unsatisfied, no one cares. XD

it's been explained already.

You have an ego and biased expectations of a simulation. When this happens, you react to logic with emotion and simply make noise. We've all seen it.

(And BTW, just to be sure this isn't coming off the wrong way, I mean no insults)

You have an ego and biased expectations of a simulation. When this happens, you react to logic with emotion and simply make noise. We've all seen it.

(And BTW, just to be sure this isn't coming off the wrong way, I mean no insults)
My only emotion right now is "lol", because it's kind of funny seeing you guys fighting so hard for rewindation even though it's never going to be in the game. We can argue all we want, but Kaz will see the 5 trillion "NO"s and leave. And so, I really don't see any reason for me to waste brain cells to argue anymore.

So carry on, I'm going to sleep.

My only emotion right now is "lol", because it's kind of funny seeing you guys fighting so hard for rewindation even though it's never going to be in the game. We can argue all we want, but Kaz will see the 5 trillion "NO"s and leave. And so, I really don't see any reason for me to waste brain cells to argue anymore.

You've obviously missed the yeses in the thread. You also don't realize you can't see into the future. And finally you missed the posts where I stated I have no interest in rewind at all. I'm just taking irrational arguments and breaking them over my knee.

Nobodies fighting for it to be in the game, we're just trying to figure out why folks like you have such poor reasons for why it shouldn't. All you guys are saying No and can't think of one good reason.

Frankly, I don't think any of us really care what you do, anymore. All you've been posting is pushing your opinion as some kind of fact, even doing it in this post now.

This whole post is ridiculous. It's a bad feature because it makes the game take longer to release? Every feature makes the game take longer, better graphics, better physics... should we ditch those too?

Prince of Persias rewind was just a WOOT feature? Ummm, did you play that game? There is a reason that rewind was highly touted in it... it made the game MUCH more playable and enjoyable without in any way reducing the need for skill. You still needed to be able to beat any given part, you just didn't have to redo the simple parts that lead up to that part to try again...

Doesn't it make sense to say "I am not going to make you do the part you already proved you could do just to try the part you need to practice more again"?

Rewinding is cheating, and because of this, Kaz will never put it in the game, how much you wanna bet? I say the loser buys the winner a brand new playseat. :sly:

Stop asking me to explain why this and why that and read the thread, it's been explained already. If you're still not satisfied, then continue being unsatisfied, no one cares. XD

I will take that bet! I take any bet that gives me forever... if it ever happens, you owe me a playseat, however there is no point at which you can tell me it didn't happen becuase... I have forever ;)

I was lucky enough recently to spend some time in a Boeing 737-300 simulator, after crash landing the instructor pulled it back (rewound if you like) to about 5 miles out and we tried again. I'm pretty sure that that sim was more realistic than GT5! but they didn't seem to have an issue with it, the pilots coming out of other sims in the hall didn't seem to be hiding their heads in shame incase someone saw them in a sim that can rewind!

For me i'd be happy if rewind was in as long as lap times set with it are discounted on leaderboards. Also for you guys worried about win ratio, why not measure clean (i.e no rewind and why not add no restart) win ratio aswell. That way you'll get a perfect representation of the skill level of the driver.

For me i'd be happy if rewind was in as long as lap times set with it are discounted on leaderboards. Also for you guys worried about win ratio, why not measure clean (i.e no rewind and why not add no restart) win ratio aswell. That way you'll get a perfect representation of the skill level of the driver.

In Forza 3, the leaderboards will let not certify your lap times if you use the feature, so we will know who are the fastest, and who aren't. ;)

In Forza 3, the leaderboards will let not certify your lap times if you use the feature, so we will know who are the fastest, and who aren't. ;)

Seems like the perfect solution to me! If I'm feeling a bit superior I can even go down and laugh at the non certified times ;)

I will take that bet! I take any bet that gives me forever... if it ever happens, you owe me a playseat, however there is no point at which you can tell me it didn't happen becuase... I have forever ;)
"Kaz will never put the feature in THE game." The "the" in that sentence denotes GT5. So start saving up for that playseat. I've wanted one since forever. XD (came back cuz I didn't want to be scammed out of moneys)

Anyways, I didn't realize that no one is allowed to be subjective on this forum and I have to post a declaimer saying that not all of what I say may be true to you, I would have thought it was common sense that people say what they think and say it factually.

"Kaz will never put the feature in THE game." The "the" in that sentence denotes GT5. So start saving up for that playseat. I've wanted one since forever. XD (came back cuz I didn't want to be scammed out of moneys)

First off, you didn't say GT5 so "the" can be read as the GT game as in the series.

But barring that, still sorry... DLC... patches... I still have forever. Even after Kaz dies we might find a way to clone him from DNA, he might then go back and program that one last thing in to GT5... sorry... you give me forever, you then have to contend with anything... time travel, cloning... who knows what. I got a freebie ;)

Don't worry, I still have to wait for it to happen to make you pay up... but you never get to make me pay up :P

I'm not sure that's a valid argument. If you're messing up one turn at the Nurburgring, chances are you're also messing up 30 others, and don't know the 'Ring well enough to start with.
So that means basically every driver that has driven on the ring is absolutely horrible? The Ring has so many corners I'm guessing you probably screw up on 10-15 yourself.
If you're messing up enough on the Ring in real life or in game, you're driving beyond your ability, and possibly beyond what's sensible or safe. But I've raced it so much in GT4 that I rarely mess up. Fired up GT4 a few months ago, went right to the Nurburgring and remembered it almost perfectly in an M3 CLS. Yes, I smurfed a couple of turns, but that's what practice is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back