Lots of Games have it Now. Should GT 5 have a Rewind Option?

• Thread starter Simple SIM
  • 1,300 comments

Gameplay Rewind Feature. Opinions.

• I will only buy GT5 if it makes it into the game.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, it should be in GT5.

Votes: 19 5.8%
  • I don't care if it is included, nor if it isn't.

Votes: 71 21.8%
  • No, it shouldn't be in GT5.

Votes: 210 64.6%
  • I won't buy GT5 if it makes it into the game.

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • I would never use it if it's in the game.

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I would use it only during practice.

Votes: 30 9.2%
  • I would use it only during races.

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • I would use it in both modes (racing and practice).

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Other (explain).

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
(G)
No.

That takes the thrill out of pushing a car to it's very limits with near gripless worn out tires, because if you overcook a turn and wind up facing that apex, suddenly you can just pretend it didn't happen, as opposed to work your buns off making up that time.

I could agree with this if the game forced you to use it or automatically rewound time whenever you made a mistake.

But I'm not aware of any game that does this.

Rewind feature = Arcade crap like Grid Racer
GT5 is not an arcade racer

Funny guy..

and oh, I don't remember having that in GT4, weird!
You just press either the left analogue stick or the right one to fast forward, no rewind though.
I could agree with this if the game forced you to use it or automatically rewound time whenever you made a mistake.

I don't think it's practical for PD to be spending money and TIME to implement a feature that some fans say should be in GT, as you can clearly see, no one in this thread actually wants it and most likely maybe 5 people will use it if it's in GT5, so who's gonna foot the bill? YOu?

On that note I'll point out the "simulator paradox"

If GT is simulating you as a race driver, you might have available to you [in the simulated world of GT] a driving simulation for testing/training purposes. It's not far fetched for GT racers, Endurance racers, and F1 teams. With this you could do all the things a rewind would allow you to do, and it would not be fake in anyway. It's a sim inside a sim.

So it's like this

GT world is real in GT, within GT world there are simulators. When you are using rewind, you are not driving, you are just using a simulator. This applies to any simulator as at any moment in a sim, you are simming. Why can't a simulator simulate simulations?

No. I prefer GT to mirror real life as much as possible, the use of a rewind option removes one essential part of racing which is evident when an error is made on a corner. If I have taken a corner wide my performance for the next few turns and ultimately the lap would be effected. For me, learning from such a mistake gives me a greater sense achievement rather than pressing a rewind button.

There is no connection between arcade racers and a rewind feature.

One is an arcade racer and the other is the ability to.... rewind.

no, whats the point in making a sim if your actions on the track have no consequence?

What the point in being able to press start at any time and "restart race"

Real race car drivers don't have that option.

"Wait you guys I totally screwed up/had the other cars pile into me on the first turn of the race. Can we all just go back to the starting grid and try it again and again until the results benefit me?"

But that option exists in Gran Turismo.

On that note I'll point out the "simulator paradox"

If GT is simulating you as a race driver, you might have available to you [in the simulated world of GT] a driving simulation for testing/training purposes. It's not far fetched for GT racers, Endurance racers, and F1 teams. With this you could do all the things a rewind would allow you to do, and it would not be fake in anyway. It's a sim inside a sim.

So it's like this

GT world is real in GT, with GT world there are simulators. When you are using rewind, you are not driving, you are just using a simulator. This applies to any simulator as at any moment in a sim, you are simming. Why can't a simulator simulate simulations?
Umm... which self-respecting driver would rewind when he goes off road and keep going instead of see how he went off and adjust his speed based on his mistake accordingly? What's the point of simulation if you just erase your mistake and keep going?

Restarting from certain points in the lap so you can do another corner without turning around I can agree with, but rewinding is just stupid, sorry, no way around it.

:lol: at the all the folks who says it makes the game arcade, as if it has any actual effects on the physics.
Umm... which self-respecting driver would rewind when he goes off road and keep going instead of see how he went off and adjust his speed based on his mistake accordingly? What's the point of simulation if you just erase your mistake and keep going?
I don't think you've grasped the fact that you don't have to use it. It's not mandatory that you rewind after every mistake.

A rewind feature in GT would make as much sense as GTA IV being so realistic that if you get shot once you die, and if you die in the game you die in real life.

Also:
Why can't a simulator simulate simulations?

Yo dawg, I herd you like simulators...
xzibit-foundation.jpg

My view:

The "RESTART" option is - in fact - a "REWIND" option. The only difference lies in the length of the "go back in time" feature. A "rewind" let's you choose, a "restart" doesn't, you are rewinded all the way back to the grid.

In my opinion, any "rewind" or "restart" feature that allows a player to avoid messing up their oh-so-prized game stats (win-lose ratio is one of them) is arcadish. You made a mistake, live with it if you are so "serious" about playing a "sim"

Online playing doesn't have "restarts" (and of course their shorter version, the "rewinds") and it can be frustrating at times, but that's where you'll find the "real thing".

So, I have nothing against that feature being available in the game. And I bet all players in the world, even those that say "NO", will use it if it's there.

Much, much worse, bordering a total joke, was B-Spec Bob in GT4. That was the console playing for you (but again, I don't mind it being there, I'm not forced to use it).

There is no connection between arcade racers and a rewind feature.

One is an arcade racer and the other is the ability to.... rewind.

What the point in being able to press start at any time and "restart race"

Real race car drivers don't have that option.

"Wait you guys I totally screwed up/had the other cars pile into me on the first turn of the race. Can we all just go back to the starting grid and try it again and again until the results benefit me?"

But that option exists in Gran Turismo.
Yes, because restarting a race from the start is the same as rewinding.

Rewinding = quick saving in RPGs before you make any move so if the boss counters and kills you, you go back to that last quick save and keep going, this way you never lose and make a mistake.

Again, if you like Rewind so much, go play Forza or need for speed or other definitive simulations that offer an option to rewind space time continum.

as you can clearly see, no one in this thread actually wants it

It sounds to me like most people in this thread haven't put much thought into all the benefits a rewind feature brings to the table.

90% of the responses seem to be they fear it would remove the challenge/consequences from the game and seem to be under the impression that it must be used when it is infact an optional feature.

Many seem to equate it with cheating but there are many more uses.

If you could simply turn off the rewind option before the race, wouldn't this completely solve the perceived problem?

Yeah rewinding time would be so amazing and also slow motion (matrix style) so that you can dodge any cars which suddenly crash, while we're at it there should also be a transportation ability so that you can get ahead of your competitors and perhaps even make the cars transform into robots.

Yes, because restarting a race from the start is the same as rewinding.

Ding.

Forza apparently will let you rewind any mistake you make during the race, you could potentially rewind through out the whole race until you are satisfied with your lack of driving skills. At least GT requires you to run the race in one successful action.

A bit cheap for people who suck at life, but its better than rewinding your way through a whole race.

:lol: at the all the folks who says it makes the game arcade, as if it has any actual effects on the physics.

I don't think you've grasped the fact that you don't have to use it. It's not mandatory that you rewind after every mistake.
It's also not mandatory that PD waste even more time implementing a feature that no one wants.

Restarting from certain points in the lap so you can do another corner without turning around I can agree with, but rewinding is just stupid, sorry, no way around it.

You don't get it. When you play GT, you're not driving in real life. You're playing a sim. In real life, you have the option to use a simulator to practice driving/racing/tuning instead of doing it in real life. In a sim, you are not bound by the rules of real life. If GT is simulating real life, why can't it simulate a program that already exists in real life and allows you to do things you can't do in real life?

And for the record, I'm vehemently in opposition to rewind. I'm just rational.

And for rewind vs restart race, think of it as "there's always next year" it just doesn't take a year.

It sounds to me like most people in this thread haven't put much thought into all the benefits a rewind feature brings to the table.

90% of the responses seem to be they fear it would remove the challenge/consequences from the game and seem to be under the impression that it must be used when it is infact an optional feature.

Many seem to equate it with cheating but there are many more uses.

If you could simply turn off the rewind option before the race, wouldn't this completely solve the perceived problem?
no, I think you just woke up one morning and thought that rewinding might be cool in GT, who knows what you'll think up tomorrow. "nvm, rewinding is stupid, but HEY! Having ramps in GT might be cool!"

So, I have nothing against that feature being available in the game. And I bet all players in the world, even those that say "NO", will use it if it's there.

Which, as far as I'm concerned, is why I don't want it. Maybe if there was some sort of difficulty scale, as with, say, Ferrari Challenge where you are awarded a certain number of credits depending on driving aids you used (or didn't), then that would be ok, but I know when the races got hard I'd depend on it.

The thing is, things like automatic transmissions, TC, ABS and ASM are there to make the game easier to play, but it isn't completely unrealistic to use them because it is possible to fit any of those to any car, though obviously there are many that would never, ever have any of those. However, no car in the history of mankind (except a certain Delorian) has a rewind feature.

rewind feature is a "arcade" thing not simulator thing. GT5 will not and ever include it. we always want our real time play to be real time as possilbe. besides, we can't travel back in time can we? just restart the whole race if you feel the need to perfect a certain corner or turn.

It should be noted in Gran Turismo Championships there is NO RESTARTING. Period.

You blow a race in a championship on to the next round

no, I think you just woke up one morning and thought that rewinding might be cool in GT, who knows what you'll think up tomorrow. "nvm, rewinding is stupid, but HEY! Having ramps in GT might be cool!"

What you just said has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I bet you have clicked on "restart race" just as many times as the rest of us.

And the fact that having a rewind feature could actually improve your driving skills means nothing to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back