Lotus Appreciation Thread!

• Thread starter opal
  • 88 comments
I would argue that some of those standard shots look amazing. I know you can't get up close and personal the same way as with premiums, but you guys definitely defied the "standards look crappy" thing.

I have:
Elise RM '96 - lovely wee car, if not the fastest.
Elise Sport 190 - Quick as Hell
Elise Type 72 - Quicker than Hell
Motorsport Elise - blows dust into Hell's face

I need to get my hands on that Motorsport Elise... I think it's the only one I don't have.

I feel like I'm just spamming this thread but I do love the Lotus. :)

Evora
AutodromoNazionaleMonza_3.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_2.jpg

Esprit V8 GT
London.jpg

London_2.jpg

London_1.jpg

And even though we already have some excellent shots of it...
The Carlton.
ToscanaTarmac_3-1.jpg

ToscanaTarmac_6-1.jpg

ToscanaTarmac_4-1.jpg

Enjoy. :)

Also, lol @ the John-Deere themed Esprit. What were you thinking?

And even though we already have some excellent shots of it...
The Carlton.

Enjoy. :)

Love those Carlton shots, especially the 1st one with blue starry sky! Also I have to ask how did you get so close on the headlight shot? I can't ever seem to get the camera that close on standard cars :(.

Also, here's a couple more shots of my Esprit Sport 350 banging around London..
London_1.jpg

London2.jpg

.. and a Chrome Orange Metallic Esprit V8 GT I brought just because I love that particular paint :).

DeepForestRaceway3.jpg

DeepForestRaceway_12.jpg

Also I have to ask how did you get so close on the headlight shot? I can't ever seem to get the camera that close on standard cars :(.

The trick is to zoom out as much as possible. (or as much as you need)

You'd think that if you backed way up and zoomed way in, it would have the same distance restriction as zooming way out and moving way in... but it doesn't. The only problem is it gets a super wide angle shot so you can't always get what you want. Also it causes the focus to be off as you'll never get the same amount of background blur with it zoomed way out. (you'll notice that shot has the background more in focus than a lot of my other shots even though that one is set to 1.0 and the others are usually around 2.8 or 4.0.) The other issue is that the standards end up looking bad when that close, but these are quite nice... except the elan.

Also, nice rear-end got of the V8-GT... I realized only after posting that all mine were from very similar angles.

Ahh ok, I'll give that a try. I hadn't really tried zooming out too much because I'm afraid of the fisheye effect :).

Also thanks, one of the replay views reminded of the view from some of the old video games I played back in the 90s (particularly Outrun, though that was a Ferrari, and of course Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge. A lot my pics are also taken from similar angles, I guess it's because that back / front corner angle usually ends up looking really cool :D.

For those of us who are chronologically advanced enough to remember the '80s and were into computers all those years back then you may recall an old classic game released in 1986 called Turbo Esprit. For those that aren't / don't remember here's a link to the Wikipedia page (Turbo Esprit @ Wiki) that should provide a little background info.

Some previous photos I'd taken reminded me of this and other games from that era so, after poking around the interweb and checking out some of the old screenshots and box art, I decided I'd create my own GT5 "cover art" style image. All pics were taken in GT5 using only the filters in the game.

And so, I present an homage to Turbo Esprit..

TurboEspritGT5.jpg

sangalganoabbey.jpg

This little 🤬 is one of my favorites on the ring. For a 300 hp car you just can't beat it.

Just don't like the 77 its also the number I use on RM and TC cars :grumpy:

I normally use 79 on mine. I had to change it for the theme of the photo contest that I took this for. Ended up not using the shot in the contest but I kept the pic anyway. :sly:

Back