Lotus Elise 111R Tuned aka ridiculous!

• Thread starter magburner
  • 131 comments
The setup is great in normal mode but in PRO mode the PS3 pad just does not give you good enough control of the throttle which means it is too easy to spin out.
I found the same problem if I disabled the traction control in normal mode.
The analogue triggers and the anaolgoue sticks on the pad are terrible imo, which means you just don't have enough control to drive some of the cars in PRO mode.
But I guess if you are serious about racing games when you will use a good wheel instead.
Anyway, in normal mode the setup is very nice, allowing good control of the car and some nice controllable drifts without losing too much speed.

I so agree with your sentiments. I have given up on PRO mode with the DS2 sixaxis, hoping a DS3 sixaxis will improve things. Currently reverting to using the sticks rather than the paddles.

let me know how you get on.

Im finding doing consistent times with the pad difficult :( so getting the setup right is not easy

Well I played a bit yesterday (didn't have much time as I'm going to a conference for 3 days and needed to prepare) and I didn't improve my time.
I honestly don't know what is the best, reduce the weight or increase the power. So far, I'm getting better results with more power and more weight.
The car is already very light, it's maybe why I didn't see an improvement.
I did have a excellent lap, but I screwed it up on the last fast corner. At 240km/h, there is no marge for error on this one :-)

Well I played a bit yesterday (didn't have much time as I'm going to a conference for 3 days and needed to prepare) and I didn't improve my time.
I honestly don't know what is the best, reduce the weight or increase the power. So far, I'm getting better results with more power and more weight.
I did have a excellent lap, but I screwed it up on the last fast corner. At 240km/h, there is no marge for error on this one :-)

Whether or not you should choose power or weight depends on this simple rule: Where tracks are tight with many corners, decreasing the weight of the car should be your best bet; shorter braking distances, and better cornering capability. If the track is large and contains long straights and high speed corners, your best bet is to choose more power as more ponies = more speed. Their is plenty of more track to put the power down on Suzuka than the average track, so power > weight in this case.

Nonetheless, the best I could get with your setup and the D-Pad is 2'08.XXX bibi-phoque. I am sure that with a wheel and some adequate practice, a 2'04.XXX should be attainable. -Is this a reasonable prediction to all those people out there who have recently converted from controller to wheel?

i battered around daytona for ages last night (speedway) and i got better times with the weight higher and more power aswell lol. Cars just seemed too light especially for an oval.

i managed a 2.06.9 on suzuka last nite with that setup and the pad. just wonder what i could ht with a wheel.

i battered around daytona for ages last night (speedway) and i got better times with the weight higher and more power aswell lol. Cars just seemed too light especially for an oval.

i managed a 2.06.9 on suzuka last nite with that setup and the pad. just wonder what i could ht with a wheel.

2.06 with a pad, you are doing very well!! This is what I get with a wheel...

Whether or not you should choose power or weight depends on this simple rule: Where tracks are tight with many corners, decreasing the weight of the car should be your best bet; shorter braking distances, and better cornering capability. If the track is large and contains long straights and high speed corners, your best bet is to choose more power as more ponies = more speed. Their is plenty of more track to put the power down on Suzuka than the average track, so power > weight in this case.

Nonetheless, the best I could get with your setup and the D-Pad is 2'08.XXX bibi-phoque. I am sure that with a wheel and some adequate practice, a 2'04.XXX should be attainable. -Is this a reasonable prediction to all those people out there who have recently converted from controller to wheel?

I agree with you, I think 2.04 is faisable with this setup and a wheel. I'm going around the track more and more, and I see myself pushing the limit of this setup in corners. There is still a lot of room. Also, I realised that I can push more on the exit of the corners (I was a bit too safe there).
I like watching the replays of others, best way to learn. I don't really like the ranked #1 but if you look at #2, you will see how fast he is entering the corners and exiting. I need to be more aggressive I think :-)

I don't have the prologue yet, so I don't know about all of the tuning options, but in GT4 you could cure a lot of the Elise's oversteer by moving the placement of the ballast toward the front end of the car. The only other things I can think of to cure oversteer would be to stiffen the front springs, or come into corners a little hot.

Finally completed the Beginners Cups last night and went straight to the Elise 111R (tuned).

I own a Lotus Exige Cup with the Bemani supercharger putting out around 270bhp, so dialed the Elise up to 270, tied down/ lowered the suspension a little and put sticky tyres on it.

Took it out for a trial race, got big oversteer and lost it in the first turn :ill:. I was really surprised. The real car is definitely set-up better (I have a fairly "sharp" geo and the LotusSport adjustable Öhlin dampers– currently set-up for the Hockenheim GP circuit).

Definitely need to work on the settings some more – it is fantastic that you can adjust these in GT5 Prologue and even better that forums like this exist with people who have the patience to work out what works best and advise the rest of us 👍:). I must admit that I just like to drive! :P

I'm using the G25 (modded) in my Lotus Elise cockpit, so it can't get much more real.
e787b7b2-vi.jpg

Only trouble is that my real car and cockpit are lhd, whereas the Elise, being British, is rhd in the game (it would be nice in the full GT5 game if you could choose lhd or rhd – wouldn't take much to implement...).

My Exige (the Krypton Green one):
116840920_d44fdc6fa7.jpg

Think I will have to practice a fair bit yet before I go on-line...

he man nice car you have!!!!.....i whas wondering how you compair the sound of your car to the one in gt5p.....simular??

(it would be nice in the full GT5 game if you could choose lhd or rhd – wouldn't take much to implement...)

It would actually require the whole interior to be remodelled for left hand drive, and seeing how detailed the interiors are, I'm guessing it would take a LONG time to do each one.

The sounds are quite realistic in most cars I've been able to compare – but in my Exige the dominant sound is that of the aftermarket supercharger, so it's not the same.

Being able to add a supercharger whine when tuning would be the icing on the cake!

still working on the setup of the car. Clearly there are some major faults in my setup and any that I've seen on here (no offence intended to those who supplied a setup) I wish we could see the setup used for the elise in the top times for the suzuka race. The 111r that is third is obviously running max downforce + much taller gearing so will need to work on that. I'm not going to post my setup as it needs a lot of work still but i'm happy with my acceleration, car accelerates like its on rails however still need some faster braking and extra stability under braking. Any tips what to change to fix this?

My time so far is a 2.08.654

bibi-phoque - i tried your setup out. Its really stable and great under braking but i'm finding the car extremely sensitive under throttle so it loves to oversteer now. Personally not to my liking and i'm very slow with it but it clearly does work with others from the feedback they have received.

still working on the setup of the car. Clearly there are some major faults in my setup and any that I've seen on here (no offence intended to those who supplied a setup) I wish we could see the setup used for the elise in the top times for the suzuka race. The 111r that is third is obviously running max downforce + much taller gearing so will need to work on that. I'm not going to post my setup as it needs a lot of work still but i'm happy with my acceleration, car accelerates like its on rails however still need some faster braking and extra stability under braking. Any tips what to change to fix this?

My time so far is a 2.08.654

bibi-phoque - i tried your setup out. Its really stable and great under braking but i'm finding the car extremely sensitive under throttle so it loves to oversteer now. Personally not to my liking and i'm very slow with it but it clearly does work with others from the feedback they have received.

increase the brake balacne at the front to a greater value than at the back. Maybe lower the ride hight a couple of notches at front and back. If the cars on rails then you maybe have to much grip, sounds silly but having ti much grip can be just as much of a time killer than not enough grip

there is an error in your thinking, decreasing the weight will, have the same affect as increasing the speed. the lighter the car is the faster it will accelerate. i think the key is a balance between the too.

i personally find that decreasing the weight is far better than increasing the power

If you use the automatic gears, anyway to stop the 'computer' changing the gears like in gt4 where you could hold the R1?R2? button to stop changing gears? :)

Finally got the lotus working as i like it except for 1 turn which the computer downshifts :scared:

Maybe this setup is just good for pads. I don't know how I pulled this off, because I have a wheel :-)
With it though, I don't get any oversteer under throttle. I find myself accelerating more and more on the exit of the corners now. Even if you go too far, pull the wheel (gently) in the opposite direction and it should bring the car back on track without loosing too much time.
One advice (I'm not an expert though!!), I use the 4th gear quite a lot of the first succession of corners, it helps on the oversteer issue. The other solution is too be very gentle on the the throttle.

my setup (650 points, professional mode, all aids off) :
Power +6
Tyres R3-R3
Aero 20-35
Ride Height 0-0
Spring rate 5-8
Damper 3-3
Toe -0.5+0.5
Camber 2.5-2
Brake 5-3
Max tuning angle 30
Traction OFF
ABS OFF

I didn't touch the transmission (yet!) as I still want to improve the suspension first.

Please try this setup and let me know what you think. It is forgiving in fast corners and reduce the oversteer.
Again, there is a lot of room for impovement here, so feedback are welcome!

I joined the forum specifically to thank you for posting this set up mate.

Was struggling big time on S10 around Suzuka even with Elise (also tried Mine's, Ford GT & GT Spec II). Had spent over 4 hours trying but with this set up got it 3rd attempt and posted 3 lap times in the 2:06:***'s, 2:06:093 being my best (with pad).

I did make slight amendments to suit the 700pp set up.

Cheers! 👍

It would actually require the whole interior to be remodelled for left hand drive, and seeing how detailed the interiors are, I'm guessing it would take a LONG time to do each one.

If you look at most cars in both lhd and rhd versions, the instrument binnacle remains the same and everything else is pretty much a mirror image, therefore it would NOT take much time!

I joined the forum specifically to thank you for posting this set up mate.

Was struggling big time on S10 around Suzuka even with Elise (also tried Mine's, Ford GT & GT Spec II). Had spent over 4 hours trying but with this set up got it 3rd attempt and posted 3 lap times in the 2:06:***'s, 2:06:093 being my best (with pad).

I did make slight amendments to suit the 700pp set up.

Cheers! 👍

Well, glad it helps. Hopefully we will soon see other setups. I posted mine (I'm only around 50th on the ranking, which is not too good with a G25 wheel) but I really want to see the setup used but the ranked #1 #2 and #3, and see what they are using. I know my setup make the car easier to drive but I don't know if it helps in term of performance.
There is a new section in the forum for setup, hopefully we will see more getting published soon :-)

Is 'professional mode' as realistic as it claims to be? According to the 'professional' mode in GT5:P, every rear-wheel drive in the world overteers monumentally. I know there are a few vehicles in real-life that have oversteering issues but surely not every freakin' vehicle and not to such extremes as in this game?

Is 'professional mode' as realistic as it claims to be? According to the 'professional' mode in GT5:P, every rear-wheel drive in the world overteers monumentally. I know there are a few vehicles in real-life that have oversteering issues but surely not every freakin' vehicle and not to such extremes as in this game?

have you ever tried to push the pedal of a 300hp+ car mid corner to the floor? Generally any car thats rwd and high powered with traction control off is going to spin out. So the game seems pretty accurate to me in that sence. Just need to take it easy through corners.

LOL My z's ass end kicks out easier than waking up in the morning. I have 10.5 inch rear rims with 315's on them. My turbo kit is awaiting install but even my stock engine setup can spin out without trying.

Well, I tried the set-up that bibi-phoque suggested for the Elise.

Did the Lotus Event (London).

All I can say is that, in full pro sim mode with all aids off, the car has very little grip – front or rear!

Now I know that this is on S1 tyres, but it really is NOT realistic. My real Exige has Yokohama semi-slicks and sticks like glue – OK, you can say that is an unfair comparison, bur the car I had before was an Opel Speedster (built by Lotus and basically similar to the Elise chassis). That had the same 175 Bridgestone road tyres at the front and 225 rears as the Elise (but 17" instead of 16") and even that gripped far better than the simulated car.

Not that I'm saying those settings aren't good – changing them didn't really help. The tyres in the game are simply unrealistically slippy, IMO. If I could, I would put race tyres on it – but it seems that that isn't an available option in quick tuning... :ill:

Oh, and don't get me wrong – I do know about power oversteer – I also have a 300ZX TwinTurbo with 340bhp.

Power oversteer is fine once its controllable and once the car can actually ACCELERATE while wheelspinning....some may remember trying to take off quickley with the Supra RZ in GT3. that **** really annoyed me cos you cud wheelspin in any gear but it was like the car is on ice.

If the oversteer is controllable and can be held then il live with that. Most mid engined cars are a handful anyway when provoked and require very sensitive throttle and steering with left foot braking being a necessity!

i'm sure there was nothing worse than the speed 12 in gt4. tcs and everything cranked up with the softest tires and it still spins. so stupid

Well, I tried the set-up that bibi-phoque suggested for the Elise.

Did the Lotus Event (London).

All I can say is that, in full pro sim mode with all aids off, the car has very little grip – front or rear!

Now I know that this is on S1 tyres, but it really is NOT realistic. My real Exige has Yokohama semi-slicks and sticks like glue – OK, you can say that is an unfair comparison, bur the car I had before was an Opel Speedster (built by Lotus and basically similar to the Elise chassis). That had the same 175 Bridgestone road tyres at the front and 225 rears as the Elise (but 17" instead of 16") and even that gripped far better than the simulated car.

Not that I'm saying those settings aren't good – changing them didn't really help. The tyres in the game are simply unrealistically slippy, IMO. If I could, I would put race tyres on it – but it seems that that isn't an available option in quick tuning... :ill:

Oh, and don't get me wrong – I do know about power oversteer – I also have a 300ZX TwinTurbo with 340bhp.

I based my setup on R3 tires. Actually I never tried the Elise with S3, and seeing how it handles with Race tires, I don't even want to try with Sport tires :-)
Go to the setup forum (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=104391) somebody submitted slight modifications to my original setup. I can't test it (away from home for the week) but the change on the transmission should help.

I based my setup on R3 tires. Actually I never tried the Elise with S3, and seeing how it handles with Race tires, I don't even want to try with Sport tires :-)
Go to the setup forum (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=104391) somebody submitted slight modifications to my original setup. I can't test it (away from home for the week) but the change on the transmission should help.

the setup interesting with S tyres on!!!!

aince with the trials u cant stick different tyres with less grip on the front to combat the oversteer, u need to fiddle with the camber and suspension a bit

Well im very happy with the 'oversteer' in the game, as most of the time it is controllable... and with the right setup (thanks bibi-phoque!) the elise is no one of the most fun cars in the game !

Mmmm exige is the same as a elise?

Back