Mafia 3 - 2016 (X1, PS4, PC)

• Thread starter Techy
  • 129 comments
Opening a game with a heist, huh...? Well that's something I never seen before (cough GTA V cough)...

Also, is everybody else here simply not interested in the game? I see no one else showing any kind of opinion or even criticism about the videos... Guess the Mafia name still doesn't elicit big stares from gamers.

Opening a game with a heist, huh...? Well that's something I never seen before (cough GTA V cough)...

Also, is everybody else here simply not interested in the game? I see no one else showing any kind of opinion or even criticism about the videos... Guess the Mafia name still doesn't elicit big stares from gamers.

I like a lot of what I see. The style, the atmosphere, the cars and the characters. I simply have enough to play and I'll pick this up when it's cheap.

I simply have enough to play and I'll pick this up when it's cheap.

But that's the thing; you won't buy the game right away. And apparently others will do the same. It's not because of the whole "modern games are always incomplete when they're launched" deal, but rather because the game doesn't entice people enough to warrant a quick purchase.

The impression I get is that the game is flying under most people's radar, just like its predecessor. Would it do that if it had the "GTA" name attached to it?

But that's the thing; you won't buy the game right away. And apparently others will do the same. It's not because of the whole "modern games are always incomplete when they're launched" deal, but rather because the game doesn't entice people enough to warrant a quick purchase.

The impression I get is that the game is flying under most people's radar, just like its predecessor. Would it do that if it had the "GTA" name attached to it?

It's the same for Mad Max (which I bought on launch). Racegames have my main interest so that puts Mafia on a less urgent scale.

Next to that it is a story driven game and it can be more time consuming than a race game. Time that I don't always can and want to invest. Take the Order for example. A 8 hour game which suits me well. I like it enough to replay it and I don't get bored. If I put Dark Souls 3 or the Witcher next to that I know that I won't finish those games because they are simply too long for me. Doesn't take away that it looks fantastic and they intrigue me.

If Mafia 3 is a 8 to 15 hours story game that's great and if it adds à photomode that would increase it's value even more but it won't be a full price purchase.

Last edited:

I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out but I think the reason most aren't is because Mafia is still a relatively unknown name compared to GTA and Saints Row. But I still think this'll be an amazing game. I think this is the first truly open world Mafia as well, as 2 seemed to be very linear (I never played the original), and from the looks of things there'll be plenty of stuff to do in it.

? And The Mysterians: “Ninety-Six Tears”

The Animals: “We Gotta Get Out Of This Place”

Aretha Franklin: “Chain of Fools,” “Respect”

Barry Maguire: “Eve of Destruction”

Beach Boys: “Help Me, Rhonda,” “Heroes and Villains,” “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”

Beethoven Ben: “Dance of the Hours”

Big Brother & The Holding Company: “Piece of My Heart”

Blue Cheer: “Good Times Are So Hard To Find”

Bobby Fuller Four: “I Fought The Law”

Box Tops: “The Letter”

Canned Heat: “On The Road Again”

Chambers Brothers: “I Can’t Turn You Loose”

Clarence Carter: “Slip Away”

Clifton Chenier: “Ay-Tete-Fee”

Count Five: “Psychotic Reaction”

Cream: “White Room”

Creedence Clearwater Revival: “Proud Mary,” “Fortunate Son,” “Bad Moon Rising,” “Born on the Bayou”

Del Shannon: “Runaway,” “Keep Searchin’ (We’ll Follow The Sun)”

Delta Rae: “Bottom of the River”

Dewey Edwards: “I Let A Good Thing Go By”

Diana Ross & The Supremes: “Love Child”

Dusty Springfield: “Son of a Preacher Man”

Eddie Floyd: “Knock on Wood”

Elvis: “A Little Less Conversation”

Etta James: “Don’t Go To Strangers”

Four Tops: “Reach Out, I’ll Be There”

Freddie Cannon: “Palisades Park”

Iron Butterfly: “In A Gadda Da Vida”

James Brown: “I Got You (I Feel Good)”

Jefferson Airplane: “Somebody to Love,” “White Rabbit”

John Lee Hooker: “One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer”

Johnny Cash: “Folsom Prison Blues (Live),” “Ring of Fire”

Jr. Walker and the All Stars: “Shotgun”

L.C. Cooke: “Take Me For What I Am”

Lightnin’ Hopkins: “Black Ghost Blues,” “Sinner’s Prayer,” “The Howling Wolf”

Lightnin’ Slim: “G.I. Blues”

Little Richard: “Long Tall Sally”

Lonnie Youngblood: “Go Go Shoes”

Martha and the Vendellas: “Nowhere to Run”

Marvin Gaye: “You”

Mercy Dee Walton: “Five Card Hand”

Misfits: “You Belong To Me”

Mourning Ritual (ft. Peter Dreimanis): “Bad Moon Rising”

Otis Redding: “Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay,” “Hard To Handle”

Otis Redding & Carla Thomas: “Tramp”

Otis Spann: “Must Have Been The Devil”

Patsy Cline: “Crazy”

Paul Revere and the Raiders: “Kicks”

Ramones: “Palisades Park”

Roger Miller: “King of the Road”

Roosevelt Sykes: “Hey Big Momma”

Roy Orbison: “Running Scared”

Rufus Thomas: “Walking The Dog”

Sam and Dave: “Hold On, I’m Comin’,” “Soul Man”

Sam Cooke: “Chain Gang,” “Wonderful World,” “Bring It On Home To Me,” “Another Saturday Night,” “I’m Gonna Forget About You”

Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs: “Li’l Red Riding Hood”

Sonny Rhodes: “You Better Stop”

Status Quo: “Pictures Of Matchstick Men”

Steppenwolf: “Desperation,” “Born To Be Wild”

Supremes: You Keep Me Hangin’ On

Temptations: “I Wish It Would Rain”

The Animals: “House of the Rising Sun”

The Avengers: “Paint It Black”

The Band: “The Weight”

The Chambers Brothers: “Time Has Come Today”

The Dramatics: “Get Up and Get Down”

The Duprees: “You Belong To Me”

The Fun Sons: “Hang Ten”

The Miracles: “You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me”

The Rolling Stones: “Mother’s Little Helper,” “Paint It Black,” “Sympathy For The Devil,” “Street Fighting Man,”

The Searchers: “Take Me For What I’m Worth,” “Needles & Pins”

The Shadows of Knight: “I Got My Mojo Working”

The Supremes: “Baby Love”

The Tams: “What Kind of Fool (Do You Think I Am)”

The Temptations: “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg”

The Troggs: “Wild Thing”

Three Dog Night: “One”

Vanilla Fudge: “You Keep Me Hangin’ On”

In addition to this curated soundtrack, Mafia III also tapped two of the gaming industry’s greatest composers, Jesse Harlin and Jim Bonney. The two have composed an original score you’ll hear during gunfights, cut scenes and other in-game moments. The 26-track Mafia III Original Game Score is will be available for digital purchase on iTunes, Amazon and the Google Play stores. A version of that score will also be available on vinyl in the Mafia III Collector’s Edition.

I am very looking forward to this game! Loved the previous ones too.
Any chance we get a demo?? What do you guys think?

Day one for me. Been a huge fan of Mafia since the first. Fond memories of it. Even the race, which was not that hard as some make it out to be.

Looks like one of the best games of this gen to me, makes me want to buy a PS4 or XBO more than most other games.

I can't stop wondering about how the main characters look. I mean he looks like his head is way to big, gorilla like. I just can't take him seriously.

Only thing i'm worried about is that the narrative and subtle style of Mafia 2 will be lost in favor of an 'action packed' GTA clone.

Seems Sony PR is out in force though, 2 pages full of trailers already :D

I was going to wait a while for this one because it's so close to the release of Rise Of The Tomb Raider, but seeing as the PS4 pro is released next month, and Tomb Raider is always the first game I play on a new Playstation, I'm going to wait and make it my first playthrough so I'm now eagerly awaiting my pre-order of Mafia 3 to arrive to keep my resolve from crumbling and unwrapping Lara early :lol:

Apparently someone already got to play this game...
٢٠١٦١٠٠٥_١٦٥٧٥٨.jpg

I was basically looking at the top leader board of some bucket list from horizon 3 and ended up with this guy.

I'm going to see if it's available at stores or not since I played mafia 2 and i loved it. Never played the original sadly.

Mine has been dispatched so I'm hopeful of getting it tomorrow, if I do I'll post a few 1080p screens of the PS4 version and give an initial impression by this time tomorrow.

I really would like to know if this game contains a photomode.
I'll have a look for you when I eventually get the game but I haven't heard any mention of it from previewers and I don't recall anyone pointing it out in the hours of footage that have been released so far.

I'll have a look for you when I eventually get the game but I haven't heard any mention of it from previewers and I don't recall anyone pointing it out in the hours of footage that have been released so far.

Me neither and I also didn't get any answer on Twitter. I don't think there is but if you could have a look that would be great 👍

I am sure going to buy this in the future. They seem to have invested a lot in this game and also with the extra content that is coming this is looking really promising. I heard even people say this was better than GTA V.

Me neither and I also didn't get any answer on Twitter. I don't think there is but if you could have a look that would be great 👍

I am sure going to buy this in the future. They seem to have invested a lot in this game and also with the extra content that is coming this is looking really promising. I heard even people say this was better than GTA V.
I've heard people saying it's like GTA V with the storytelling of TLOU, I can't imagine it being as good at doing what either of those do best but I'd be very happy if it turned out to be anything like a combination of those.

Well the story in 2 was pretty damn good, flowed really well, so you never know. Only issue I had was occasionally forgetting who was who with all the Italian names.

So I've played it for a couple of hours and watched my brother play for a couple before me, it's a decent game with a good story and characters and despite the visuals being quite inconsistent they also look very good at times. I love how Lincoln can run and gun, in most open world games you need to stop/walk when shooting. I think it's probably around an 8/10.

PS4 Screens, nothing really spoilery I'm just putting it behind a spoiler tag so it doesn't fill up the page.
66371a6a54.png

6637e5db1b.png

6637a5fa00.png

Mafia_III_20161006143106.png

Mafia_III_20161006152227.png

Mafia_III_20161006150923.png

@doblocruiser I couldn't find a photomode unfortunately, I looked through the menus and looked at the controller layout to see if there was an option but I couldn't see anything.

Last edited:
lol 30fps lock.

Suddenly a game I was anticipating becomes one I will avoid. Seriously these garbage PC ports are way too common.

lol, rage crowd. 30 fps no buy, slam it in reviews....

I played for 3 hours straight yesterday and forgot the time completely.

It runs smooth, no stutters or jitters.... But everyone is so obsessed with the frame rate in the corner they forget to game....

Every single Mafia Game had huge problems on release. Every one....the first one was near unplayable for months !! THe 30 fps limit gets cut in a patch, they already announced so ...

The game is nice. People still expect this as GTA sibling? It isn't. It's a awesome story game in an open world that just serves for the story and gameplay...

And it doesn't bother me. The free roam in GTA is nice, but gets boring after 10 minutes...

At least here the stories and missions are a bit bigger than follow that guy, go to B fetch A....

The missions are really nice. The guns feel very good. Enemies are not the brightest but good cannon fodder and make great targets for takedowns (so brutal). City feels a bit emptier than GTA

I can't complain on the graphical side. Those faces are really well made, the animation and lip sync are stunning...

Back