Mafia Trilogy

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 26 comments
Mafia 1 screenshots from MS store.

apps.22160.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.ba183756-fa4b-4743-a5f4-edd441acceea

apps.26846.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.d9439621-91dd-4afd-80c6-0825d8f8ad61

apps.32170.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.9f39196c-4f6c-478a-81e7-21c2894473d9

apps.32471.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.78f6a377-c5d7-4184-abfa-356d58fc720f

apps.37254.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.f57b7b32-dd9b-4821-b493-e9b907921cd4

apps.26448.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.f7a20919-2f30-4960-9ab4-89e330e65b1f

apps.31783.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.5eaf740c-60ca-4365-ac19-6323f8188c89

Liked mafia1 alot, might get it if it's enough of a remake.
2 i liked too but mostly the driving on sim mode.
3 is really nice to me also.
Screenshot_2020-05-14-10-17-56.png

Last edited:
Super hyped for this. Apparently there’s leaks of Mafia 1 being a complete remake while the other 2 are remasters.

I don't think 3 will be a remaster as it came out on the PS4. I like the idea, mostly looking forward to the remaster of the first game.

I'm kind of mixed on 2 being included, and since I recently played Mafia 3 I don't have much reason to buy it again. But I'm guessing it won't cost much to include it for them, so they're just bundling it in to hopefully increase sales.

I’m pretty sure 2 is just ported from last gen with updated textures/graphics, kinda similar with how Rockstar did with LA Noire and 3 being a rerelease with fixes. Honestly I hope these games come separately because I already own Mafia 3 and I do t feel like owning 2 copies lol

I think the first game was the best of the series, so the remaster if done well would be pretty nice. Oddly even though it's the oldest game, it's the one I remember the most about.

Mafia 1 is a masterpiece. A phenomenal third person shooter with chapter-based storytelling that only happens to take place in a realism-focused open world environment dripping in ambiance rather than making you go do irrelevant crap to progress the story. There are a bunch of thoughtful design mechanics that the GTA series itself didn't do until IV. The shooting and on-foot controls are great, up there even with Max Payne on how tight everything feels and how carefully crafted the action sequences are. Every gunfight could devolve into something else entirely depending on how you approached the situation. The driving model is heavily sim-focused, even going so far as to let you shift gears manually with a clutch (which caught a lot of people off guard when there was a automobile race in crappy handling but fast-even-today 1930s GP cars halfway through the game). In a console generation that basically devolved into games with the description "It's like GTA III, but...", Mafia stood out as a game that was its own thing entirely (so long as you didn't play the... uh... challenged PS2 port).

That makes me extremely concerned that the developer of Mafia 3 is the one remaking it from scratch instead of the developer of the first two games.

Mafia II Definitive Edition is out. Mafia III has been out, but it's out again as the Definitive Edition.

Mafia I remaster will be out on August 28. It will be running on the Mafia III engine.

And the immersive gameplay has been updated to entertain newcomers and old-school fans alike, with added features like a larger Lost Heaven to explore, motorcycles introduced as a new vehicle type, collectibles to seek out, and much more.

Uh oh.

It absolutely looks as generic and dumbed down as I feared. Guns don't have any recoil, you can just blind fire everyone to death if you're willing to wait longer, health resets at checkpoints, there's no player reaction to getting hit by enemies, bullets aren't lost on reloading...
The only consolation I see is that it does not have health regeneration otherwise.

I especially like how the guy specifically notes that they tuned the shooting from Mafia 3 to show that Tommy isn't a trained soldier... and then have him do wall to wall shootouts with full auto spray of a Thompson (a particularly inaccurate and hard to control gun in full auto in real life) with no missed shots or perceivable recoil at all; even when he's being shot himself while firing it. All things the the original game did take into account, no less.

Last edited:
I'm happy to eat my words on this. The second round of previews about a month ago made the game look much better and more truer to the original game (instead of Mafia 3 with old timey music playing); and it sounds like the final review version of the game skews way closer to the original game (and has options to play it even moreso like the original, like the manual gearbox) than any of the previews made it look.

Which of course means its reviewing terribly, because it doesn't play like GTA V and isn't structured like GTA V and therefore the reviews I've read have decided that it's inferior and archaic; but I'm actually interested in getting it because it isn't reviewing terribly because it's a bad knockoff of GTA V like the original previews made it look like it would be.

Which of course means its reviewing terribly, because it doesn't play like GTA V and isn't structured like GTA V and therefore the reviews I've read have decided that it's inferior and archaic; but I'm actually interested in getting it because it isn't reviewing terribly because it's a bad knockoff of GTA V like the original previews made it look like it would be.

Which is why I think a lot of people missed out on it the first time around since it came out the year after GTA3 but wasn't really the same kind of open world game. I've got it preordered on Steam. I only played bits and pieces of it at a friends house way back when it was new so I'm pretty excited to finally go through it completely. What I remember of the story was pretty great and Mafia 2 is one of my all time favorite games despite a lot of the same negative comparisons because of GTA.

Edit: Steam says it unlocks in about 4 hours so I wish there was a preload option.

Last edited:
I'm interested either way. Just need to check the reviews to see if there are any major issues. The above sounds promising.

I'm happy to eat my words on this. The second round of previews about a month ago made the game look much better and more truer to the original game (instead of Mafia 3 with old timey music playing); and it sounds like the final review version of the game skews way closer to the original game (and has options to play it even moreso like the original, like the manual gearbox) than any of the previews made it look.

Just saw review on pushsquare saying controls are horrible, not explaining much why.
Curious to know if its cause its deep and more realistic or just bad. Says that about both shooting and driving.

I got this yesterday for PC from greenmangaming (16% off).

I started on classic mode for now and got through the first mission. The experience started off with a glitch. Apparently the launcher doesn't work to launch the game, so I had to go to the steam folder and launch the game manually. The launcher can be disabled from within the game, so you don't have to wait for a fix.

The game looks good but I also noticed some issues.

This article summarizes it pretty well.

However, a more pressing issue does need to be addressed. Regardless of your selected preset, distant sceneries in the game will either lead to object pop-in or blurred textures. You can check this in the third set of images with the two skyscrapers. They stand out not because they’re towering buildings, but because they look like out of place cardboard cutouts.

I will need to look at more comparisons, but it doesn't look like the low vs high graphics settings are much different. HD7870 for the minimum requirement might be a bit taxing.

Last edited:
No issues for me except for maybe one random crash in ten hours of playing so far. The graphical stuff is what it is and i knew it was going to look that way from playing Mafia 3. I have no idea why it’s still that way but i suspect the console versions have a lot to do with it. I have a 2080ti and it’s all the same.

No issues for me except for maybe one random crash in ten hours of playing so far. The graphical stuff is what it is and i knew it was going to look that way from playing Mafia 3. I have no idea why it’s still that way but i suspect the console versions have a lot to do with it. I have a 2080ti and it’s all the same.

I played Mafia 3 on PS4, so I didn't really notice much. I got to the start of the second mission and it looked weird how the windows on the building were popping in and out. It looked like a glitch, but that's probably how it's designed.

I played Mafia 3 on PS4, so I didn't really notice much. I got to the start of the second mission and it looked weird how the windows on the building were popping in and out. It looked like a glitch, but that's probably how it's designed.

Not sure that mine did that specifically in that place but there are just all kinds of weird rendering artifacts and as you noted, buildings and stuff in the distance just look stupid a lot of the time. I have everything on max, and vsync off. It's just awkward because in certain places with the lighting and everything the game can look pretty great and the atmosphere is amazing but some of the other stuff lets it down. Like I said though, Mafia 3 was exactly the same way and I played that on a 1080ti at the time.

I'm enjoying it so far. I made it a mission or two past the race mission. The race mission was a bit difficult, but I think the next one kicked my butt more. I can agree with that review that the guns seem under-powered. I can go for a few headshots before it registers, where as I pop out from cover for a split second and the enemy has ability to hit me with a precise shot.

Overall, it seems like they should have spent some time fine tuning things a bit and getting rid of some of the glitches. In one in-game cutscene, first it shows the enemy being dropped to the floor then it shows my character fighting with air, completely out of sync. :lol:

I finished the story last night playing on Classic with simulation driving. Enjoyed the story and the little things that they did to further tie it to the later games. Funny seeing all the people freaking out about how hard the race was cause I beat it on the first attempt and didn't even bother turning my controller on. Maybe I got lucky, but I wasn't sure how much was scripted anyway with some of the wrecks the AI cars get into.

It did seem harder to get headshots in this game compared to Mafia 3 but I think it's probably down to the guns being less accurate. Most of the missions where it wasn't an outright unavoidable shootout I always just went for sneaking and stealth kills for as long as I could.

Most of the gameplay complaints I’ve seen are mostly down to the lazy QTE combat that looks straight out of early 360/PS3 games. The gunplay also doesn’t really seem up to 2020 snuff either, but it’s no worse than Mafia 2 or 3.

Yeah the melee combat is a bit of lazy design. Gunplay relies on a bit of luck. The issues with the in game cutscenes bother me the most. It just seems like they lopped off 1/3 of the polish and didn't finish the game. Otherwise, it's pretty solid.

I haven’t used a controller on a racing title in a decade, but the racing at the autodrome using simulation mode is fantastic. Both the scripted race and most cars in Freeplay. Challenging and fun.

After 4 attempts, two corrupt saves, two complete story playthroughs, and losing all of my collectibles after nearly finding 100% of everything TWICE, I made it past the bugged ‘Mister Fancy Bike’ side mission and unlocked the Waybar concept vehicle.

I’m going to suspect that turning off auto upload saving on PS4 was the fix, but who knows.

Back