Major League Baseball: 2009 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 625 comments
Wow!!! The Giants played great this series... Freddy Sanchez made his first start as a Giants and turned out to have a great day... Giants were down 2 runs and he had runners on the corners with 2 outs and he drilled a double in right center field tying up the game...

And Eugenio Velez has come up from AAA and has been hot. Hitting over .460 since coming up, in 7 games he has 7 RBI's and the Giants are 6-1 with him playing.

Not only that but the Phillies "big" power left handers could hardly make contact with his curveball which was perfect today. The Phillies really got AT&T'd hard going from a tiny stadium to a behemoth ;p Giants win the series 3-1 and are looking to continue zerging in Houston against John's Astros.

EDIT: Omnis, do you mean won? Those back to back home runs were pretty epic!

I think the Giants are surprising a lot of people this year, I for one didn't expect them to be tied for the NL wild card this late into the season.

I am glad to be done with the Angels series, hopefully we can do a better job beating the Indians.

You won't have any problems beating us Justin.............we have nobody left,we traded them all away.
rotfl.gif

Wow!!! The Giants played great this series... Freddy Sanchez made his first start as a Giants and turned out to have a great day... Giants were down 2 runs and he had runners on the corners with 2 outs and he drilled a double in right center field tying up the game...

And Eugenio Velez has come up from AAA and has been hot. Hitting over .460 since coming up, in 7 games he has 7 RBI's and the Giants are 6-1 with him playing.

Not only that but the Phillies "big" power left handers could hardly make contact with his curveball which was perfect today. The Phillies really got AT&T'd hard going from a tiny stadium to a behemoth ;p Giants win the series 3-1 and are looking to continue zerging in Houston against John's Astros.

EDIT: Omnis, do you mean won? Those back to back home runs were pretty epic!

I mean from the other day. Where we lost in the 10th innning.

You seem to be enjoying it... Don't you guys still have Sizemore?

Not really enjoying it,just can't figure out the Cleveland organization at times.Why be totally bummed out,pick up the pieces and carry on I suppose.Gotta laugh about something,may as well be our front office.Yeah,your right,we still do have Grady Sizemore and Travis Hafner and a few others,but we are dwindling away.

We were able to beat the Motor City Kitties tonight 11 - 1 :D

Round one of this series goes to the Astros. We won 4-3 against the Giants to improve to 52-53. I didn't see this game.

Round Two goes to... the Giants in a beatdown. They won 8-1 against my Astros. Everything's bigger in Texas, and the Giants towered over my Astros in this match.

My Reds are crashing and burning in classic fashion. 14 of their 15 last games were losses and they are on an 8 game losing streak, all at home.

We crashed and burned ourselves, losing 10-6 to San Francisco thanks to a money Grand Slam by the Giants. It's early August, but the Astros need to go back to their winning ways if they want any hope of making the playoffs.

Worse than this, there was a beatdown in Los Angeles. Dodgers won 17-4 against Milwaukee. One Brewer (Prince Fielder) wasn't very happy with the Dodgers' pitcher. He went as far into going into the dugout and going after the Dodgers as they were heading to their locker room. Safe to say he was pretty pissed off. Who the Brewers take on next? My Astros. We'll need to cool him off as well as the rest of the Brewers' offense.

We crashed and burned ourselves, losing 10-6 to San Francisco thanks to a money Grand Slam by the Giants. It's early August, but the Astros need to go back to their winning ways if they want any hope of making the playoffs.

Worse than this, there was a beatdown in Los Angeles. Dodgers won 17-4 against Milwaukee. One Brewer (Prince Fielder) wasn't very happy with the Dodgers' pitcher. He went as far into going into the dugout and going after the Dodgers as they were heading to their locker room. Safe to say he was pretty pissed off. Who the Brewers take on next? My Astros. We'll need to cool him off as well as the rest of the Brewers' offense.

lol

Prince was beyond pretty pissed off, he wanted to get at his ex-teammate (and friend) Guillermo Mota

WOOHOO! The Reds won last night! They broke their losing streak, but it is way too late for them to have any realistic hope of salvaging the seaon.

Keep in mind, FoolKiller... your Reds play in the same division as my Astros. My Astros haven't been doing too well recently, so it may not be too long if the Reds somehow overtake my Astros. On local TV here, no Astros action tonight. Instead, it's a look at the Astros' Triple-A affiliate, the Round Rock Express. I don't know how my team's other Minor League teams are doing. Those include the AA Corpus Christi Hooks, the A Lexington Legends, and teams like that.

Up next for the Astros- the Brewers here in Houston for three games.

Keep in mind, FoolKiller... your Reds play in the same division as my Astros. My Astros haven't been doing too well recently, so it may not be too long if the Reds somehow overtake my Astros. On local TV here, no Astros action tonight. Instead, it's a look at the Astros' Triple-A affiliate, the Round Rock Express. I don't know how my team's other Minor League teams are doing. Those include the AA Corpus Christi Hooks, the A Lexington Legends, and teams like that.
The problem with the Reds is that they lost 14 of the last 16 games. They are 11.5 games behind the Cubs and Cardinals. To even have hope against the Cardinals or the Cubs both teams would have to have a major losing streak while the Reds go one a huge win streak. Heck, they are even 5 games behind the Astros.

As for the Lexington Legends; they are 6.5 games of the leading Asheville team. As far as I am concerned the Legends are good for one thing: Thirsty Thursdays. About once a year we will buy the "expensive" $9 ticket that gets us right behind home plate in cushioned semi-reclining seats (think 1980's movie theater seats) with waitresses from the in-field bar. I can only order two drinks at a time, but at $1 each I can usually have about 10 Amber Bocks before they stop serving in the seventh inning. The waitresses quickly learn to come back to me after they finish their round of the section because I will want two more by that point.

I didn't get to update the Astros' status, but we doubled up the Brewers with a 6-3 win. Both of us are 54-55. One of us will improve to 55-55 tonight.

Right now, the Red Sox are playing at their best friends' house- the New York Yankees. A-Rod was the hero last night in a scoreless game through 14 innings as A-Rod cashed in a two-run walk-off homer to win 2-0 last night.

The Astros got torched Saturday night, losing 12-5(?). We only needed two runs to blank the Brew Crew today. It was a 2-0 victory for my Astros today. If there was an aggregate scoring system for baseball series to determine who "wins" series, the Brewers would win 15-13.

Red Sox at Yankees tonight on ESPN. Hope your teams are doing well, as always.

Yeah, I heard about that, TS. There were some ex-Diamondbacks playing for Washington, right? Anything can happen in baseball...

Adam Dunn is the only former snake that I know that plays for the Nats

Kind of a shame that the Nationals are so bad, Dunn is probably one of the better utility guys in the majors, he can play pretty good the out field and he's a decent first baseman. Not to mention a lot of offensive production.

It looks like we've got four games at Florida followed by a weekend series in Milwaukee. Fish and beer. First off, it's the four-game series in Miami against the Florida Marlins. Then after that, we're off to Milwaukee starting on Friday. I have my doubts on this Florida series for my Astros. But... we'll see how the boys fare in MIA.

[UPDATE] It was ugly for a while for my Astros. Miami led 7-2 at one point, and we ended up losing 8-6. Game two is tonight.

Last edited:
The Astros lost again. They lost 9-8 to the Marlins. It's good the games are close, but the Astros have to win one. You can't just be an also-ran against a good team like Florida, but damn it... they need to win and keep winning. Unless, you are content with being stuck at 4th in the NL Central...

Win one for a damned change!

Any hope for my Twins to make the playoffs is basically gone. It seems like every game we win we win by 10 than lose the next 3 by that amount.

The Astros lost again. They lost 9-8 to the Marlins. It's good the games are close, but the Astros have to win one. You can't just be an also-ran against a good team like Florida, but damn it... they need to win and keep winning. Unless, you are content with being stuck at 4th in the NL Central...

Win one for a damned change!

No they need to lose so the fish can overtake the phillies. I was crapping nickels watching that game. :lol:

Astros on right now. I heard that the Giants knocked off the Dodgers 4-2 in extras, while the D-Backs lost their match today 6-4 against the New York Mets. Right now, the Astros are leading 5-0 in the Top of the 2nd with two outs. Astros did their damage all in the 1st inning. Lance Berkman's back for my team (woohoo!).

If you'll be watching FOX Saturday baseball, here's the lineup:

* Atlanta at Philadelphia
* San Francisco at New York Mets
* Cleveland at Minnesota

It's now 6-0 on a Lance Berkman RBI Double. It's the middle of the 2nd now. I was preparing this post, but had to immediately shut down my computer in advance of a severe thunderstorm. So I didn't get this post out any earlier.

My Twins are leading 7-1 in the 4th. However I won't call it a win until the 9th inning is over.

It's been a week or so but I can't believe I've forgot to mention:

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

lol anyway last week, during the series against the Pirates, Justin Upton went on the DL with a strained oblique, D-Backs called up Australian prospect Trent Oeltjen from AAA and he has been absolute gold in the bigs!

.450 BA, 4 HR's, ~10+RBI, almost hit for the cycle Tuesday!

Damn right we did (Post #537)! A win tonight will give us a series split. Us falling on our faces will mean Florida will win this series. We won 14-6. So after two close losses, we win big in MIA. Series finale tonight!

[UPDATE] Marlins spanked the s:censored: out of us: 9-2. It's now on to Milwaukee. Even with the Brewers' struggles, I still say we're not going to capitalize on things to help our cause in the NL Central and/or NL Wild Card.

Last edited:
This post may continually get updated, but man... the Cubs whipped Pirate booty, to the tune of a 17-2 exorcism of the Pirates.

I hope my Astros can take down the Brewers the way we won back on Wednesday in Miami...

Back