Major League Baseball: 2010 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 219 comments
Berkman's going to the Yankees. Now we're getting a bunch of young guys for all these trades. I guess in a few years time, we might see good things from these transactions. But in the mean time, the Astros won't be doing much. Shame. I may just start going by "dude91."

I don't know... I guess I get so upset about my home team (in any sport) not doing enough to win a championship or continually contend. Think about the whole LeBron James deal and how many people are hateful of how LeBron James going to Miami while not doing too much to get the Cavaliers to the promised land.

The Astros need some young talent, but I'm fairly disappointed our veteran cast just isn't doing enough on the diamond to give Houston that needed lift to be contenders. And with all due respect... don't the Yankees already have enough talent? I know this... I would HATE to see the World Series (or a future World Series) involve the Yankees vs. the Phillies. The reason why? Former Astros enjoying happier pastures in other places when they could have achieved similar success for the Astros 9though it didn't work out in Houston).

On a happier note, congratulations to the Astros on winning 5-0 over the Brewers. I think Happ went 6 scoreless innings.

The Astros beat Milwaukee 5-0 on Friday night and 6-0 on Saturday night at Minute Maid Park. Lance Berkman made his debut with the Yankees, but went 0-4. The Yankees still beat Tampa Bay 5-4 at "The Trop." Astros are still in 5th place in the NL Central Race, 13.5 games behind St. Louis and Cincinnati. Milwaukee is still 3rd at 10.5 games back. Poor Pittsburgh is some 23-something games back. I sure hope the Astros can keep playing the way they are, especially considering their next series- AT St. Louis starting on Monday.

More information on what the Astros are getting in exchange for Berkman here: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-astros-yankeestrade

JEEZ!!! What's gotten into the Astros? 18-4 versus the Cardinals! Why couldn't they play like this earlier in the season?

Astros cracking under pressure now. They [should have won with a 5-2 victory, but] lost 6-5 on Friday, then lost earlier tonight 5-2 (I think). This is an important NL Central series, and these losses are not helping them turn the corner.

Biggest note between my last post and this one was the brawl between St. Louis and Cincinnati. I think either five players or five from each team got suspended.

My Astros looked good on Monday, then stunk it up both on Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon (in extra innings). The Wednesday afternoon deal was just depressing. How the hell do you go from a 2-2 tie... to LOSING 8-2 in the 10th inning? St. Louis and Cincy will definitely be the fight for the NL Central because hardly anyone (Astros' slim hopes notwithstanding) is making any positive progress towards challenging.

Giants beat 3 of 4 against the Cubs. Play the Padres next for possibly one of the biggest series of the year. Padres have owned us in the past but we haven't played in a long time and our offense has been overhauled since then. Yesterday the Giants acquired Cubs utility infielder Mike Fontenot for minor league outfielder Evan Crawford. We really only got him because Renteria just went on the DL, Uribe has been on and off with a few minor injuries and Sanchez has been horrible as of recently. He will likely hit at the bottom of the order or in the two hole as we have everything else sorted out.

I have really enjoyed the Giants this year as they actually have a offense now with a legit threats in the middle of the order. If Sandoval can finally play even half of his potential the Giants have a good shot at maintaining the Wild Card lead or passing the Padres for first place.

Good to see the Astros starting to show some fire in the NL Central. Please help us out by not rolling over for the Reds and Cardinals so we have a better shot at making the playoffs :)

Yeah, the Astros have been flip floppy as of late. It's seems like one game they are really good, then the next they're back to "Classic" Astros.

John, I'm curious, what part of Houston are you in? I'm in Katy.

I'm around Hobby Airport. I'm a Southeast Houston guy. Thank Goodness for Carlos Lee! Otherwise, we would have lost depressingly to the Pirates.

As for you, Prosthetic, just let your Giants play hard, and your boys will be just fine against San Diego. It is a crucial series out west in the NL West.

Didn't play well against SD.. What a surprise. Oh well, we need to start picking it up or we won't make it to the playoffs this year.

The Astros lost 3-1 in their 4-game home set against the Mets. The back-breaking deal about this was that former Astro, Carlos Beltran, belted out a solo homer against Wandy Rodriguez. We'd probably still be exceptional if we still had Beltran in addition to Berkman and all. But... the Astros are basically starting all over again.

We're well behind if we are to have ANY Wild Card hope (because we're just not going to win the NL Central). I think we have to go to the Marlins this weekend and then go up to the Mets in the next road trip. For now, though, we got to handle the Mets as best as we can.

God bless Hunter Pence... he cashed in all four runs for the Astros. It began with a three-run jack in the 1st inning and a solo homer in the 8th. So we're now 1-1 in this four-game series against the Mets.

So the Twins who "Can't win without Morneau" have managed to get 6 wins in a row and are 5 up on the White Sox.

No wonder why I don't pay attention to the ESPN commentators.

Popping in to say the Yankees own, CC Sabathia is a sexy sexy man, and that Fransisco Cervelli needs to be fired into the sun.

Popping in to say the Yankees own, CC Sabathia is a sexy sexy man, and that Fransisco Cervelli needs to be fired into the sun.

+1 👍 except for CC Sabathia being a sexy man but he is very good pitcher though

Toronto pimp slapped Boston last night- 16-2. At least that's worse than the 9-0 blank job the Florida Marlins put on my Astros. Tough NL East road trip for my boys. Three games at Florida, four games at Philadelphia, and three at the New York Mets.

I would like to wish "Sweet Lou" a happy retirement, as he chose to retire after today's Braves at Cubs game. Cubs got hammered 16-5 earlier today.

My Astros won 2-1 to avoid being swept at the Marlins. The Astros will head up the coast to play at Philadelphia for a four-game set. The Astros will NOT face Roy Oswalt (remember him, Astros fans?) because he played earlier today. Our starting pitcher did VERY well today.

Hey, John. Did you see that game earlier this week? 16 innings! And Roy Oswalt played Left Field!

While on the subject on Houston Baseball, how bout them Pearland Little Leaguers! Let's hear it for those guys! I hope they go all the way!

Sadly, the Pearland boys got outclassed. I didn't see all of that extra-inning showdown in Philly. I only saw highlights of the 4-1 victory Saturday night of the Astros at Mets game. Rubber game tomorrow! Astros likely aren't going to the playoffs, but a strong finish is something I'd LOVE to see happen for the Astros. Our only hope is an outside chance of snatching the NL Wild Card.

Giants just went 7/3 on a tough road trip. The team looks completely different compared to the beginning of the season but that's baseball for you. I just hope we can take advantage of the easy September schedule and make it to the playoffs.

The Astros finish the season 76-86, but we were long done for a while. Congratulations to all the teams who did make it. I do cheer on certain teams in the 2010 playoffs based on GTPlanet friends. That includes Prosthetic's Giants and Justin's Twins among others.

Woohoo!! The Giants are in the NLCS against the Phillies :)

I'm actually extremely confident about this series considering how well the Giants have played against the Phillies in these past few years.

Yankees and Rangers will play tomorrow night to kick off the championship series and I'm pulling for a Rangers - Giants World Series...

GO GIANTS!!

Hopefully the Giants win it all. Can't stand the Phillies.

My Rangers even it up!!! First home playoff win EVER!! (sad). Apparently, the bullpen decided to throw some strikes.

Doc against Lincecum tonight, should be epic. 👍

Man, The Rangers whooped up on the Yankees! It looks like the Rangers will finally go to the World Series! I'm also rooting for the Giants. I'm a bit tired of seeing the Phillies in the World Series. Though, I did enjoy seeing Oswalt pitch a good game.

I don't know what to think about the two division championship games. Part of me wants Roy Oswalt (meaning I'm picking the Phillies) and Lance Berkman (meaning I'm somewhat with the Yankees) to make and play in and win the World Series. However, I hate that my Astros couldn't do enough to reach the postseason consistently. I do think the Giants are a solid team. Thing is, though, can they consistently hit and score runs if they meet (the Rangers/Yankees winner) in the World Series?

I'm torn as to who to pick on either side.

Back