Major League Baseball: 2010 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 219 comments
I saw that, Joey D. I'm not a Tigers fan, but wow! That umpire needs to get banned from calling baseball! I wouldn't be surprised if that ump encountered a few Tigers fans in the parking lot!

Let's not be too harsh on the ump. You know he was ******** bricks as soon as he knew the play was going to first base for the final out. The slow mo replay definitely shows he was out. Real time is a little more trickier. just like real life. If I was him I would have called him out even if he was safe.. ;)

Ok, fair enough. Maybe I was being a bit harsh. But, that wasn't exactly a close call. MLB umpires have years and decades of experience. That should have been an easy call to make, there wasn't anything close about that play.

I was watching Baseball Tonight on ESPN. They are saying that the umpire admitted that that was a terrible call.

Last edited:
Ok, fair enough. Maybe I was being a bit harsh. But, that wasn't exactly a close call. MLB umpires have years and decades of experience. That should have been an easy call to make, there wasn't anything close about that play.

I was watching Baseball Tonight on ESPN. They are saying that the umpire admitted that that was a terrible call.

I agree. It was a terrible call. Umpires make terrible calls with disappointing regularity. This one is amplified because of the result. A perfect game stolen.

Galarraga got jacked big time. Bad calls come in groups. The second base ump in the Twins vs Seattle game called safe on the last out in the bottom of the 10th and a run scores. I was screaming at the tv a lot today.

Okay. I saw what happened on ESPNEWS of that blown call. First things first... what the hell was that umpire thinking? It looked like a clean out, but the 1st base umpire had to basically prolong the game just a little bit. The Tigers should have had a perfect game. There's probably two reasons this was denied:

1.) The ump didn't make the call correctly.
2.) The ump probably missed the call so that more Perfect Games aren't called after TWO were completed this season.

As an official, your job is to call the plays as you see them. In a game of inches, he was miles wrong. That dope should be punished in some sort of way that isn't a slap on the wrist. I feel for all the folks up in Detroit from down here in Houston.

Speaking of Houston, we have a winning streak finally! 5-1 victory last night to go to two in a row. We can either be assured a split or a series win when my Astros take on the Nationals (or Natinals) Thursday afternoon. With a good chance of showers and thunderstorms heading to Houston, we're glad we have a retractable roof.

Speaking of Houston, we have a winning streak finally! 5-1 victory last night to go to two in a row. We can either be assured a split or a series win when my Astros take on the Nationals (or Natinals) Thursday afternoon. With a good chance of showers and thunderstorms heading to Houston, we're glad we have a retractable roof.

What's a winning streak? Just kidding! Good to actually get a few wins in a row for our Astros.

This just in...

Bud Selig will NOT reverse the call that robbed Galarraga of the would-be Perfect Game. The basic mindset is more like, "the past is the past, and we can't change it. We have to move on." So... Galarraga will have to try again to pitch a Perfect Game.

Astros will be on the road for the rest of this week and into next week. This weekend is another round of Inter League action. Here's what's coming up for the Astros:

* at Colorado (4 games, starting tonight)
* at New York Yankees (3 games)
--- next Monday off ---
* at Kansas City (3 games)

I think the Colorado games will be an offensive slugfest, especially if the Astros can get into some kind of hitting frenzy. I ALWAYS fear the Interleague matches, because I'm sure ESPN will just emphasize how full of win the Yankees are and how the Astros are full of fail. Just have to take it with a grain of salt. After this trip, we're home to play the Texas Rangers for the Silver Boot. I really think the Astros/Rangers series should be a seven-game season series. Just alternate who gets four games.

Enjoy MLB baseball!

Stephen Strassburg makes his major league debut for the Nationals tonight against the Pirates. This is the most hyped games in recent memory. This pitcher has had an amazing career so far, lets see how he does in the MLB.

11 K's through 6. Not a bad start. New matchups always favour the pitcher. (and it's the Pirates).

Make that 14K's, impressive even if it is the Pirates.

Also, who would have thought a Nationals/Pirates matchup would be one of the most anticipated games of the year.:lol:

The Astros took 3 out of 4 in Denver and have won three straight. This weekend begins Interleague play (or, "let's get our NL asses handed to by the AL" play). My Astros are at the New York Yankees for three games. Tonight is the only night game in this series. It's our first visit to the New Yankee Stadium. And all I know is, this may be a chance for ESPN to just continually praise the Yankees, especially if they take down my Astros. I'd be surprised if we win even one game against the Yankees before moving on to Kansas City.

Good luck to all the teams in Interleague play! Since we have so many NL fans on GTPlanet, us NL fans can hope to take care of the AL.

Because of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, I didn't get to see the Astros in action on Saturday and Sunday (hung over from Le Mans on Sunday). Here's how my team did in the Bronx:

FRI: (4-3; NEW YORK YANKEES)
SAT: (9-3; NEW YORK YANKEES)
SUN: (9-5; NEW YORK YANKEES)

The Astros are now 25-39. Good news for us is that we're no longer dead last in the NL Central. The new bottom dwellers of the NL Central is 23-40 Pittsburgh. We'd better do well at Kansas City starting on Tuesday if we want to avoid returning to dead last in the NL Central.

A's swept us last month in Oakland and we swept them this week in SF. Bay Bridge series is tied at 3-3. Aubrey Huff went yard twice once back to back with Juan Uribe. Posey had two tough 0-fers in a row but is still just under .400

The Giants bullpen is now actually are weakest part of our team. The addiction Burrell and Posey being promoted with Sanchez (Freddy) coming off the DL our lineup is in its best shape since the 2002 World Series run. Burrell has been fantastic since coming to SF which is good because we needed that extra bat to put us over the top. Our chances are looking good when it comes to making a run for the NL West.

I think San Francisco's going to win the NL West. Only recommendation... take care of the other two NL California teams, especially those boys in blue and white (the Dodgers).

Astros win only one Interleague game in this stretch- one game at Kansas City. Other than that, swept at the Yankees and home vs. the Rangers. The Astros are now going to some of their farm system talent to try to provide some kind of spark as we host the San Francisco Giants starting Tuesday. I hear there's a Roy Oswalt vs. Tim Lincecum match slated for Tuesday. I still want to see a Lincecum vs. Stratford match whether at Washington, D.C. or at San Francisco.

Tough sledding for the Astros. Thankfully for us, we get a day off.

I think Big Papi won the Home Run Derby. Up now is... the MLB All-Star Game. So it's time to debate...

...I'll ask this question in a different way. Can the NL FINALLY beat the AL MLB All-Star Game for the first time in at least 10 years, or is this going to be another AL ground pound?

Today is the MLB All-Star Game, but we'll be playing the All-Star Game with heavy hearts as George Steinbrenner died today of a massive heart attack. He was 80 years old. How will you remember George Steinbrenner?

I might be a little bias but if you think about George Steinbrenner has to go down as one of the best if not the sports owners in history. I know he rubbed a lot of people the wrong and he's did some bad things but if your a sports fan you want an owner who is committed to winning then you would wnat somebody like Steinbrenner. The thing I always like about him is they whatever money the Yankees made they put it right back into the team. If more teams did that we would see better sports across the board. Say what you want about the Yankees messing up the salary structure in baseball but when the Yankees were sorry nobody was complaining. If you really think about it it isn't how much money you spend but how you spend it. For awhile Steinbrenner forgot that the Yankees would sign whoever the biggest name was without regards for how they would fit in. Being banned and having the baseball men run the team was the best thing that happened to him. After he came back he didn't usurp the spotlight but he made his opinions known and the team was better for it. He will be missed
Stats
Years Owned - 37
Division Titles -11
World Series - 7
👍

We did it! We finally freaking did it! The National League wins 3-1 over the American League. I actually saw the play that resulted in three runs batted in to help vault the NL over the AL. The National League's first All-Star victory in 13 years.

I'm glad that only B-Wizzle played in the All-Star for my Giants. Although Aubrey Huff and Andres Torres should of been in it, they get rest and that's what I care about. And it's funny, Aubrey Huff talked openly to the SF media on how much of a disgrace the ASG has become. The dude makes me a bigger fan every time. Lincecum and Wilson both made it, even though I think Wilson should of closed it :D he pitched the 8th inning and had hitters completely off balance. Wilson has two pitches, a slider and fastball. He has been working on a change up but doesn't throw it in games. He brought his 99+ fastball and his 93 mph slider that had them grounding out, then jammed the last guy to pop out.

My dad and I are die hard NL fans and jumped out of our seats when McCann hit the double. Very awesome moment.

Here is a funny story for you guys, Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright went to Lincecum asking him how he grips his change-up. Because he apparently has been trying to do that same change-up for awhile now but can't get it to break as hard as Timmy does. Timmy shows him how he grips and throws it, and then McCann was trying to get him to throw it during the game but Adam didn't want to.

On the topic of Steinbrenner... I wish the Giants FO had 1/10th the passion for winning as he did instead about how much they can put in their pocket. But all the rules about appearance for the Yankees I think is ridiculously stupid. Brian Wilson and Tim Lincecum would agree with what they have been sporting for some time now.

Oh and McCarver and Buck were brutally bad this evening. I spent the whole time mocking them, which made my dad laugh.

As for the second half of the season... I just want to say with Molina gone, and Rowand and Renteria hopefully out of the lineup more. The Giants stand a much better chance at playing better against people in the NL West. Since they have amazing records against the Central and East.

One last thing... Buster Posey is a beast. In the first month and a half he has 7 HR and 6 of those were on this road trip we just had. He has already had his first slump and hes adjusted to the league like a pro. Going to be a tight race for ROY.

Here is a look at the leaders in each division:

American League
AL East: New York Yankees (56-32)
AL Central: Chicago White Sox (49-38)
AL West: Texas Rangers (50-38)

National League
NL East: Atlanta Braves (52-36)
NL Central: Cincinnati Reds (49-41)
NL West: San Diego Padres (51-37)

Of these teams, how many of these teams will actually win their division? How about your Wild Card winners (and contenders)?

The Astros won 5-2 at Pittsburgh earlier today, but the real thing to observe was the showing of respect for the former Yankees public address announcer and Mr. George Steinbrenner. The Yanks won 5-4 against Tampa Bay. Time to begin that stretch run for October!

The Sunday Night Baseball game is the Phillies at the Cubs. So some extra National League love for you after the NL FINALLY beat the AL at the All-Star Game.

I did'nt know where to put this at. Sweet Lou Panalla is retireing at the end of this season with the Cubs.:)

Yeah, baseball will never be the same without Sweet Lou. I'm still upset at my Astros giving up three three-run jacks to get embarrassed by the Cubs.

Not sure if either has happened yet, but I'd like to see either Astros vs. Nationals with Stephen Strasburg, or even Giants with Lincecum vs. the Nationals with Strasburg.

Aaaah yeah,Sweet Lou

scan0010.jpg

SweetLou.jpg

I have always admired him,reguardless of what uniform he was wearing.This man knows baseball.

Last edited:
Southern boy, Roy Oswalt, is going to New England to play for the Philadelphia Phillies. So I imagine he'll win a World Series (or more) while more people just down talk the Astros. Something I am learning in being a fan of a losing team is basically... it's only funny as long as it's not happening to you. The Orioles are worse than my Astros, but I hate being talked bad about like we're the worst team alive. ESPN is what I call the "Always Hate Houston" network.

In return, I think we're getting Happ from the Phillies. We're about 17 games under 0.500. I'm just overall disappointed in this season for my favorite baseball team. There's still 60-something games left in the season. Maybe it's a good thing that Roy-O got traded because we can't seem to consistently win with him on the mound. However, I hate this because it shows the inability of my Astros to make any significant noise with such star talent.

The last other thing I'd hate to imagine is the Astros giving up Lance Berkman. If we traded a lot more talent... who the hell is going to be any kind of star for us in the future? It's a really dark future for this team. We need either star talent, or our current talent needs to step the hell up for the rest of this season and all next season.

Back