Major League Baseball: 2010 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 219 comments
In a game that felt like a knock-down drag-out brawl, the Astros came from behind to take down the Marlins 7-5. The deciding factor in this game was a lovely two-run jack by the Astros to propel the Astros to a 7-4 lead (previously had a 5-4 lead prior to the homer). The Astros finally shown some character and some toughness in this game. The Astros were trailing 2-0 after the 1st Inning. Of course, this is a series, so we'll have to see how games 2 and 3 go before we host the Pirates over the weekend.

Hope your most favorites won and least favorites lost!

Astros won 5-4 today against the Florida Marlins. So with the series finale on Thursday night, we're assured at least a series win. Seems like the Astros are now starting to play with purpose and passion. I surely hope we can keep up the great work and play consistently between now and playoffs time. We still have a losing record, but we're playing much better now.

Dude, it's the bullpen. Seriously man, the Astros should have been cake.

That winning streak was snapped as we fell 5-1. So up next, a pretty good Pittsburgh Pirates squad for the weekend. I think the Marlins are off to face Colorado... in Denver, I believe.

Saturday baseball on FOX is all AL. I know one game is in Anaheim and another game at the White Sox. No NL on FOX this Saturday.

The Astros led 1-0 early, got three more runs, and managed to hold on 4-3 for the win. Wins in the NL Central are very important to me. Here's a weird stat I heard last night: when the Pirates gloriously failed with that 20-0 beat down, only three times have the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers suffered shutout losses larger than this 20-0 loss Pittsburgh suffered.

I get nervous about games where the margin of victory is only a single run. You can win it or lose it in a heartbeat. Good for the Astros to hang on.

The Astros have won 4-3 on Friday and 5-2 last night against Pittsburgh. The finale is being played out right now in Houston.

The ESPN Sunday Night Baseball match tonight is Atlanta at New York Mets. Hope all of your favorite teams are doing well so far.

UPDATE: I have to admit... J.R. Towles is getting much better. He's now becoming more reliable as a catcher and as a hitter. Michael Bourn is just a hell of a player on offense and especially on defense. Also in this game being played right now, Berkman hit his first home run of the season earlier today.

Last edited:
This west coast run is not doing the Tigers any favours, they got schooled by the Rangers today.

Twins are awesome, you can tell his by people complaining that we have yet to sweep a series. Still have yet to lose a series though.

Next up are Joey's Tigers, should be a good series.

So the Jays are doing alright, but they'll miss the playoffs again. I don't think the Jays have much time left, nobody in Toronto gives a 🤬 about baseball. I think it's only a matter of time until the team folds.

My Astros won 10-3 over the Pirates, so we have our first-ever series sweep. Up next will be FoolKiller's Reds at Minute Maid Park. I think we'll be taking on Harang for the Reds on Tuesday, and I think we'll send B. Myers to the mound to counter. I think the Astros are starting to heat up now as they've gotten themselves together for the most part. We still need to prove that the NL Central goes through Houston. And how do you prove that? Be on top of teams like St. Louis, Milwaukee, and the Chicago Cubs. That's how.

Speaking of the Cubs, I saw highlights of the Cubs smashing the Brewers. They went from smashing the Pirates 20-0 to getting smashed by the Cubs. * Good news for Prosthetic- Dodgers lost! They lost to the Nationals 1-0 in Washington, D.C. * Cincinnati ended the Padres' 8-game winning streak. Many think the Padres will be dead last in the NL West.

Last random note I'll mention is that the Indians got roughed up 12-0(?) at the Oakland Athletics. I'm sold on the Minnesota Twins. They may just be the AL representative for the World Series. Some Twins may even play at the All-Star Game with this year's game in Anaheim. That's a beautiful stadium than the seemingly desolate stadium the Dodgers play in. Of course, neither of two can top AT&T Park as far as loveliest ballpark in California.

Anyhow, nice chatting with you all! :D

The Astros went from leading 1-0, to trailing 2-1.... to LOSING 6-2. A big reason for this was the offensive explosion in the 5th or 6th inning whee multiple hits were scored in a row. I'm not going to say this was disappointing because that means we have to LEAD and keep leading. I don't, however, want to say we should have won this game. The Reds just exploded while all we could do is watch. Winning streak snapped and, oh yeah, another hit in the NL Central rankings to an NL Central team. Astros will need to pick things up if they don't want to head to their next series in Atlanta with long faces over the weekend.

I'm loving the Giants... First we beat up on Roy HALLADAY!!!! Then our 5th starter comes out and has trouble with his breaking pitches but still works through a few jams then gets into a groove.. Awesome!! Not only that but our offense came out and hit the ball hard... then Nate Schierholtz put on a freaking show in right field turning doubles into outs and singles... Oh yeah forgot to mention our un-hittable bullpen.. Timmy up tomorrow and its supposed to be a cold wet day in the city! Which is Timmys ideal weather to pitch in. I'm smelling a sweep on the NL Champs tomorrow!!! We are doing all this with Rowand, Uribe and Freddy Sanchez hurt... Can't wait till they get back, it will make our lineup much deeper and our bench much more dangerous.

Oh yeah.. not to mention LA's fallout!! HEHE.

Giants Vs. Rockies tonight... Can't wait... Zito has been good historically against the Rockies who have Aaron Cook on the mound. Lets see if Zito still has his game going for him because he has been lights out so far.

Astros failed miserably in their series against the Reds. We're now failing against the Braves, down 4-2 in the 4th Inning. The very first pitch from B. Myers was a home run blast. We have a Nationally-televised game tomorrow afternoon. Last thing I want to see happen is my boys losing on National TV. I usually call ESPN the "Always Hate Houston" network. But sometimes, FOX can be just as bad.

Here's the FOX Saturday Baseball lineup:
* New York Mets at Philadelphia
* Houston at Atlanta
* Texas at Seattle

Enjoy the weekend series! By the way, I'm hearing that because of the whole immigration deal, some people want next year's All-Star Game at Phoenix to be moved. What do you make of that?

Astros picked a good time (sarcasm) to be in a funk. We failed again, losing 10-1 on National TV at Atlanta. Even one of the FOX broadcasters were hating on the Astros' rainbow colors of the '80s. So we failed again. * In the AL, congrats to the Rangers in beating the Mariners 6-3 in Seattle.

Hope your favorite teams didn't fall on their faces today...

Astros swept by the Braves, losing 7-1. We're back home to potentially get creamated by the Diamondbacks tomorrow night.

Tonight's ESPN Sunday Night Baseball match is a National League game where the Mets will play at the defending champs, the Phillies.

Did you guys hear about that 17 year old who got tasered when he ran onto the field at the Phillies game, last night?

Can't say I feel sorry for him, it's common knowledge not to run onto the field. Not to mention his father told him it was a dumb idea.

I would guess the reaction would have been similar if they would've tackled him. It really is a no win situation for the cops/security in situations like these.
Taser-Too excessive
Tackling-Too aggressive/violent
Nothing-Too lenient

Anyway, the Twins are looking good even with Mauer out.

Wow Ernie Harwell passed away tonight. He was the voice of the Tigers, hell the voice of baseball. I'm actually upset about it, for years I used to listen to the game with my mom and I always loved listen to him call a game. It's like a part of my childhood just died and that's sad.

And I should leave this post with a passage Ernie was famous for saying at the start of spring training, "For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land".

Last edited:
I actually wanted to do a video on that taser incident. Also, my thoughts and prayers go out to Ernie Harwell and his family and friends.

All I can say is... thank goodness for the Baltimore Orioles. Otherwise, my Astros would be the worst team in either League. We certainly have the worst record among NL teams. We've still only got eight wins. We lost only 1-0 last night, but a loss is a loss. I know we're not expected to go anywhere positive, but you still can't play like we have no chance to make any significant noise.

Congratulations to all winners of the afternoon games played so far. Come on Astros... WIN!

We gave up 4 HR's to the Tigers, but still pulled off the win to get the first sweep of the season. Next is the Orioles.

Astros finally won again last night on a 2-run jack by El Caballo(?) (Carlos Lee). This was EXACTLY the Tweet I posted online when I saw this:

"ASTROS WIN! ASTROS WIN! BIG blast by Carlos Lee! We won 4-2! Yeah, baby!!!"
- me, from my Twitter feed

We can at least play for a series split tonight. I'd sure love for my boys to be at 10 wins before taking on the San Diego Padres in the next series.

I had a epic post all ready earlier until I somehow accidentally exited out of FF.. Oh well.. In short. Our pitching is awesome... Hitting is awesome... And defense is being awesome. So in short, the Giants are winning games despite of an oblivious manager. Won 4 seriers in a row against 4 possible contenders. (Cardinals, Phillies, Rockies, Marlins.) Got the sweep against the fish today after failing to win the third game against the previous three teams.

Matt Downs who is a rookie call up has been nothing short of fantastic offensively, showing signs of Jeff Kent like power. The dude has 4 doubles in his first 30 at bats. Awesome.

Giants play the Mets next and I'm pumped.

...meanwhile, my Astrols lost 6-2 (or maybe 6-3). Up next for us is a three-game weekend series hosting the San Diego Padres. We'll get to 10 wins... eventually.

Congratulations to Dallas Braden for his Perfect Game. My Astros took care of the Padres for a series split. We won 4-3 yesterday in 11 innings. Here's the upcoming road trip for my boys... at St. Louis (3 games), at San Francisco (3 games), and L.A. Dodgers (2 games). We return home next Wednesday to play two games against the Colorado Rockies. Then for the weekend series, we'll likely get our asses handed to when the Tampa Bay Rays come to H-Town starting next Friday in Interleague play.

The Astros are now 10-21 after their win on Mother's Day. We'll now have to entertain three teams on the road starting tomorrow night.

The Astros came from behind to win 6-3 at St. Louis. I couldn't bring myself to see the rest of the game, but the Astros kept playing hard to win. The ironic thing? I couldn't stand seeing my Astros brick opportunities at scoring outs. Later in the game, the CARDINALS were having fielding problems (according to something I read or seen on TV). This series will continue as the Astros have now won two in a row.

Too bad I can't say "win" for Barry Zito, though. The Giants lost 3-2 hosting San Diego in this SoCal vs. NorCal match. Sucks for the Giants to be tamed by a game Padres squad. This NL beating, however, was nothing compared to the Dodgers routing the Diamondbacks 13-3 in Phoenix.

In the American League, Baltimore lost 5-1 to fall to 9-24 on the season. Still the worst record in the league. Other AL winners (Home team in CAPITAL LETTERS): BOSTON (6-1 over Toronto), Oakland (7-6 in 13 innings over Texas), Cleveland (8-2 over Kansas City), Chicago White Sox (5-2 over Minnesota), and Tampa Bay (7-2 over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim).

Ken Griffey Jr. was reportedly caught taking a nap during a game. Him and his manager are denying it now, and I hope that they're right. Frankly, I just don't want to see his image tainted.

For me, Griffey is one of the last links to my childhood days of watching baseball, collecting cards, etc. and is one of the only players from those days who is still playing.

Either way, it's probably about that time for him to hang up the ol' cleats.

Yeah, I'm surprised he's still playing. I think he wants to get to 3,000 hits, he's over 200 hundred shy, which isn't much really. But he is 40, so his career is just about over.

6-3 on Tuesday, 9-5 on Wednesday, and 4-1 today... the Astros [surprisingly] sweep the Cardinals. We now head to beautiful San Francisco to take on a loaded San Francisco Giants squad over the weekend. Of course, I'm a sucker for AT&T Park. Our next two series will be in California (we take on the Dodgers for 2 games after the Giants' weekend series).

Back