Major League Baseball: 2012 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,618 comments
Chipper HOF? Career .300 hitter, 454 home runs, 2600+ hits, 7x All-Star, 1x MVP, 1x Batting Champ @ .364, 2x Silver Slugger, .935 careers OPS, he averages over 100 RBIs per season and I love that he's done this all as a switch-hitter. He can add to those totals this season.

Obviously a fantastic career. Braves should retire his number. He won the World Series as a rookie. I vote a borderline yes, in his era those numbers aren't blowing any holes in the ceiling. I'm not convinced he'll get in on the first ballot based on his numbers, if he does it'll be because he's an awesome human and everyone loves him as a baseball player. Fan favorite and an awesome, near 20-year career.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I think he's gotta be in there on the first try. Chipper Jones is just plain awesome.

16645568_BG1.jpg

Last edited:
If you play 17 years and your career OPS is over 900.. That alone is instant HoF, not matter what position you play or what era. Still.. Watch Rivera get in first ballot and not Jones.. Would be a shame.

So he really is calling it quits? I read he was joking about it and that he never should have said anything before spring training started. Maybe he'll be MLB's Brett Favre.

So he really is calling it quits? I read he was joking about it and that he never should have said anything before spring training started. Maybe he'll be MLB's Brett Favre.

Maybe.. But I think Roger Clemens and Andy Pettite have got that one wrapped up already. :lol: I don't blame players who do it, I hope he comes back for more to be honest. I would like to see him reach 500 HRs and 3k hits.

Yeah, he's one of those perfect guys to build a lineup / roster around. He hits from both sides of the plate as a corner infielder, he hits to an upper percentage power/average while taking more walks than strikeouts. Average on the basepaths - even as a younger runner (I think he had 25 bags in his most aggressive season). Few injuries, no controversies. He's clean as far as steroid perceptions.

The only real problem is that he didn't play for the Dodgers.

Chipper Jones + Hall of Fame? Not just yes- HELL YES. He's getting inducted when his time comes. He's in.

Anyone that's been a cover athlete for a baseball game probably deserves to be in the HoF.

Anyone here want to give me a quick rundown on the Jays' chances? Is it the same as every year where they'll be decent but nowhere near good enough to beat the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays out for a playoff spot?

Chipper Jones is definitely a class act, and certainly should make the Hall of Fame.

As for the Jays, I'm afraid they have the misfortune to be in the same division as the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays.

Everyone calls everything differently nowadays. :lol: I looked it up and I see what your saying.

It's basically a cutter that breaks in the opposite direction. Is it me or does NPB have more emphasis on pitching junk instead of heat? I think that's why they export more/better hitters than pitchers.

Also:

IBD_baseball_flowchart.jpg

:lol:

Last edited:
Noob616
Anyone here want to give me a quick rundown on the Jays' chances? Is it the same as every year where they'll be decent but nowhere near good enough to beat the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays out for a playoff spot?

Closer than you think,maybe a starter and closer away from being a really great team. Put the jays in the AL central and i think they would win it

The Jays would be great if they had someone like Roy Halladay. Can you imagine what they'd do with a pitcher like that?

I like what the Blue Jays have done. Solid pitching staff and a balanced line-up. Tfed is right though, they are a piece or two away from being a true contender and yea, their division is pretty ridiculous. The Red Sox with their epic collapse last season were still 90-game winners.

Quiet, soulless Yankee pawn! Bobby V. coached the Chiba Lotte Marines. Therefore, he has the magic powers of Amaterasu. He taunted Ozzie Guillen without getting blown up and shanked. That is a miracle.

Chamberlin had surgery last night for an open dislocation of his right ankle. Reports were that he did it while jumping on a trampoline with his son. He is done for 2012 and odds are done as a Yankee as well.

Blitz24
Chamberlin had surgery last night for an open dislocation of his right ankle. Reports were that he did it while jumping on a trampoline with his son. He is done for 2012 and odds are done as a Yankee as well.

Its just speculation now,but cashman seems real bummed about it. If it is season ending (career ending),yeah he would be done with the yanks. Very depressing,kind of like when Wang shredded his ankle in houston.
I actually think bobby v already has a statue outside of the japanese stadium ha. I wish i got payed for being a souless yankees pawn,wouldnt be stuck at this crap job

I was annoyed by Valentine as a broadcaster and now every story I've read about his as a manager has made me roll my eyes. He takes himself way too seriously.

Villain
I was annoyed by Valentine as a broadcaster and now every story I've read about his as a manager has made me roll my eyes. He takes himself way too seriously.

Yeah same here,too much dialogue,like i know he knows a ton crap about ball,but pick your spots. It was like listening to Gruden on MNF ugh.

Kendrys Morales homered today in his second game back. He's looking good. Went 2 for 3 yesterday with two singles. He'll make a pretty good 3-4 combo with Albert.

Last edited:
Kendrys Morales homered today in his second game back. He's looking good. Went 2 for 3 yesterday with two singles. He'll make a pretty good 3-4 combo with Albert.

At which position? What about Trumbo? Hmmm.....?

Nah, Howie is at second. I'm not sure where. There are lot of questions like where will Abreu go and Trout or Bourjos in center. Trumbo only started playing third this spring so I doubt he'll be there for the whole season.

Latest Posts

Back