Major League Baseball: 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnBM01, Feb 4, 2012.

1. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Well, it's official- Tigers sweep the Yankees. So half the World Series is set. It was an 8-1 Tigers' victory today. If the Cardinals beat the Giants in the NLCS, it could be an all-Midwest World Series. M. Scherzer (DET) won while Sabathia (NYY) took the loss.

2. Barra333

Barra333 Premium

:lol: at Phil Coke talking the the Tigers radio guy.

Q: Am I annoying you by stopping you from celebrating with your team?
    A: Yes

3. Villain

Villain Premium

Interesting note: between '10 and '11 there were only been two postponed games due to weather at Target Field. (I'm still googling arount the net to find out how many games were postponed during the '12 season).

4. Schwartz

Schwartz Premium

Maybe not postponed per se, but you could imagine how uncomfortable the weather there is especially at the beginning and end of the season.

5. Barra333

Barra333 Premium

Yes, but how many delays and other games of uncomfortably cold weather? My girlfriend's dad and brother have told me about going to Toronto's games while it was snowing in the days before Skydome/Rogers Centre. It also snowed opening day in Toronto in 2009 when I went - would have been horrible if not for the dome.

I think I heard the other day that Detroit were the most affected this year by weather. I cant find squat on google, it's all news stories of individual games.

6. Villain

Villain Premium

On a related note - Dodgers haven't been rained out at home in 10+ years.

California, baby!

7. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

So, World Series set then? STL vs. DET?

8. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

It's Zito (SF) vs. Lynn (STL) for Game 5 of the NLCS tonight in St. Louis. The Cardinals lead the NLCS 3-1. An epic comeback by San Francisco is needed if the Giants want to play Detroit for the championship this season.

Best of luck to both teams.

9. BJBEOSmitty

BJBEOSmitty

Busch Stadium will be rocking tonight!!! Stan The Man delivered the game ball last night and The Wizard of Oz threw out the first pitch... It doesn't get any better than that!

10. BJBEOSmitty

BJBEOSmitty

Zito can zuck it.

11. Patrick

Patrick Premium

I bet this'll go 7 games.

12. Joey D

Joey D Premium

I hope so, that means whoever ends up playing the Tigers will be a bit more tired. I'm still pulling for the Giants though.

13. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Ditto.

14. BJBEOSmitty

BJBEOSmitty

Tired?

Or sharper - compared to the the Tigers sat for nearly a week. Remember 2006...

15. Joey D

Joey D Premium

The Tigers are going to be playing AAA teams until next Monday or Tuesday so they stay playing ball.

16. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

The NLCS goes through San Francisco for Game 6 on Sunday. St. Louis will send Carpenter to the mound, and San Francisco will counter with Vogelsong. Are we looking at this series going the distance, or will St. Louis end this one in six games in San Francisco?

17. BJBEOSmitty

BJBEOSmitty

Teams have tried this before... It's not new.

Find me a quote from a manager or a starting player saying something along the lines of "I give credit to our success this series to playing minor league teams in mock games while we were off."

There is a Level 23 Ticket in it for you JD.

18. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Heath Bell to D-Backs
    Chris Young to Oakland
    Not sure what Miami gets, yet...

19. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Speaking of the Marlins, I wonder what Miami would be like if Alex Rodriguez goes from the Yankees to the Marlins. Some people are predicting or hoping A-Rod go to the Marlins. I also wonder if he'd be effective with Miami.

20. Blitz24

Blitz24 Premium

Miami gets a realization that 2012 was the worst year the franchise has probably ever gone through. It was their third fire sale and this one came after a dead last finish in the NL East.

21. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Saw that Young trade coming since the middle of the year...

22. Patrick

Patrick Premium

John Farrel is the new Sox manager.

23. a6m5

a6m5 Premium

You kind of felt the momentum shift in Game 5. Game 6 so far has exactly the same tone. The Cardinals are starting to botch even the routine plays now, and of course, their bat has gone ice cold. :crazy:

24. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Did you know we got Game 7 tonight of the NLCS? San Francisco is the venue as St. Louis and San Francisco will knock each others' heads one last time this season. Who'll take on Detroit for the league championship? We shall see tonight!

25. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Anyone else see Brian Wilson drumming on Matt Cain's (and someone else's) heads last night? Not the first time they've showed him doing that. Guy is nutty. :lol:

26. BJBEOSmitty

BJBEOSmitty

Cards at Giants tonight at 8 Eastern. Matt Cain vs Kyle Lohse - both 16 game winners who had nearly identical seasons. One pitched 211 innings, the other 219. One ERA is 2.79, the other 2.86.

27. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

It's raining in San Francisco right now as I was watching MLB Network. So it may be some time until we see whom advances to the World Series. I know I said that San Francisco would need an epic comeback if they wanted to make the World Series. Well, if they beat STL tonight, that epic comeback will be complete. All I know is- win or go home. Winner goes to the World Series; loser- better luck next season.

We're either going to have Tigers vs. Giants or Tigers vs. Cardinals. Good luck to both San Francisco and St. Louis tonight.

28. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Radar doesn't look good until Thursday either. Hopefully they can get it in tonight.

29. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Marlins = cocktease franchise.

30. Blitz24

Blitz24 Premium

Fixed :dopey: