Major League Baseball: 2013 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,997 comments
Carlos Quentin should get suspended for the season and have to pay Greinke's salary. I can't even believe this.

Sucks to see a star get hurt that way but that's never going to happen. Besides, Grienke was injured by trying to plant himself in the ground and absorb the blow from Quentin with his left shoulder.

Cubs had a rough day after a good start yesterday against the Giants and blew a lead in the 9th today. Luckily a lead off homer, single, and double off the wall for Castro gave them the walk off win. Tough luck for Christian Villanueva who has a 0.64 ERA in two starts with nothing to show for it. He was sharp today.

I would hate to see Greinke in a pit if he is that fragile. Fights happen and Greinke throwing down the glove invited it to happen.

About what I expected from you. I've spent my energy on this topic already, but wow. You're so off on this one I'll just laugh and move on.

About what I expected from you. I've spent my energy on this topic already, but wow. You're so off on this one I'll just laugh and move on.

images

I'm not exactly sure how anybody in their right mind can justify Quentin running up to the mound and starting a fight with Greinke in that situation. He clearly didn't hit him intentionally; why would he purposefully give them a baserunner in such a close game?

Pretty moronic really, hope he gets a lengthy ban.

Well I just yelled out in my empty apartment "That's for game 3!" as Prince Fielder just knocked a 3-run homer over the head of Coco Crisp. Feels good man.

Well, you said call when the Astros notch up three straight. Well, we did so at the expense of Patrick's Angels. So call it a proper winning streak as the Astros won 5-0 last night at the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim's beautiful ballpark. The one thing I've always feared for my Astros would be us somehow overachieving for the $25M payroll and talent that we have. Don't get me wrong- I love my Astros. However, I am hopeful we keep playing consistently well. You're only doing good when you can consistently win and play hard even in losing efforts. That said, 4-6 is not a bad record heading into the second game of this HOU at LAA series.

Why are you always so quick to quit? You always have some post saying how wrong I am and how you expected it from me but are never able to explain how I am.

Everyone is in the wrong, including Kemp who should be suspended... Not that it matters with the way hes playing perhaps that's why he was so mad?

Lets take a look back at the evidence... Grienke has a history of hitting him more then most pitchers. Quentin has a history of owning Grienke. Grienke already 'threw at him' once earlier in the game. Yes it was a full count and the game was close but that doesn't mean its not possible that beaning him was a thought that crossed his mind. But honestly that doesn't matter if he really did or didn't. But what does matter is that before he charged, there were words thrown from each side... You have no idea what Grienke said and some of the speculation is stuff obviously not suitable for this sites AUP. What Grienke said is most likely the tipping point so he charges. And in my history I can't remember the last time a player had anything more then a bruise or a bruised ego from a fight like this but it isn't Quentins fault that Grienke is that dumb to drop a shoulder to a guy that much bigger then him. There isn't a single good thing that could of come out of that and that is Grienke's own dumb fault.

Also with the glove throw down he seemed eager to get into it. Fighting is apart of sports and if your afraid of a little fun then why are in the game?

To me I honestly don't care because I don't think he is that big of a loss for the Dodgers and the Padres (better then most people give credit for) aren't in my teams way. I still think Kemp should be suspended for a game or two, who knows what would of happened if Clayton Richard didn't get in between the two. Probably nothing because Kemp has that whole fake tough guy thing going for him.

Last time I checked it was called Major League Baseball, not boxing. Why should fighting be a part of what is for the most part, a non contact/violent sport?

Last time I checked it was called Major League Baseball, not boxing. Why should fighting be a part of what is for the most part, a non contact/violent sport?

Players have always fought it out... Even more in the past then now. I find it so incredibly hilariously ironic how Dodgers fans are pro base runners taking out the catcher yet when they lose their precious overpaid pitcher they are asking for the most ridiculous consequences for something is kind of their own pitchers fault. If he didn't drop his shoulder, or run his mouth, or throw down his glove or even if Ellis protected his pitcher none of this happened.

I've always been a fan of the drama it creates... Makes the next time you face that team more exciting.

One of my favorites...

You see how Eli does his job? No hesitation.

Players have always fought it out... Even more in the past then now. I find it so incredibly hilariously ironic how Dodgers fans are pro base runners taking out the catcher yet when they lose their precious overpaid pitcher they are asking for the most ridiculous consequences for something is kind of their own pitchers fault. If he didn't drop his shoulder, or run his mouth, or throw down his glove or even if Ellis protected his pitcher none of this happened.

I've always been a fan of the drama it creates... Makes the next time you face that team more exciting.

One of my favorites...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBgcQrcfMXc">YouTube Link</a>

You see how Eli does his job? No hesitation.

I'm neither a Dodgers fan nor someone who cares whether the base runners should be able to take out the catcher or not (either way suits me), but I just think fighting doesn't really have a place in baseball. At the end of the day, both of them are at fault to an extent; I would say Quentin more so than Greinke but they both played a part. If these guys had a little more self control and weren't so quick to get aggressive with each other, none of this would have happened, so I guess you just have to put it down to the character of the individuals.

That video is actually pretty impressive, nice work protecting his pitcher there. Protecting your team mates from being attacked isn't something I have a problem with, obviously, good on him 👍

Game isn't over but I'm 99% sure it's a loss tonight. Missed the first 8 innings, guess Kennedy got beat up on. He needs to figure out what he's doing if we're going to get anywhere this year. The rookie pitched better than him last night...

Yikes. Reds have now lost 4 straight after their walloping of the Cards in their first game. Now lost the first 2 to the Pirates. Also on a nice 0 for 25 streak with runners in scoring position. How the hell is that even possible? And Cueto may be hurt again. Just fantastic. :grumpy:

Harvey gets another good performance and wins his 3rd of the year. He may just be as good as the die-hard Met fans hope he will be.

Also on a nice 0 for 25 streak with runners in scoring position. How the hell is that even possible? And Cueto may be hurt again. Just fantastic. :grumpy:

They've obviously started taking hitting instruction from the Cubs batters.;)

My take on the whole Greinke thing is that people are making a bigger deal about it than they should be because of who it is and the contract he just signed. This isn't the first time someone charged for a misconceived slight and it's not the first time one party or the other was injured. Quentin didn't do anything extraordinary like use the bat or kick Greinke to cause the injury. It was a freak thing caused by Greinke standing his ground. Suggestions that Quentin should be suspended for the season or the length of time Greinke is out are pretty outlandish IMHO.

And to people who say fighting has no place in baseball, I agree to an extent. No one wants to see players get injured. But as long as pitchers can use the baseball as a weapon there will be batters charging he mound. Pitchers throw at batters when they feel disrespected, to protect a teammate, to send a message, or for something as stupid as the guy or a teammate hit a homerun off them. Pitchers can put batters at risk with a 90+mph projectile sometimes towards their head and batters can respond by charging the mound. That part of the game isn't going to change for better or worse.

If you haven't yet check out what Paul Konerko had to say. I heard it quick during the Cubs/Giants broadcast(McCarver is horrible) and I'm pretty sure it's along the lines of what I just wrote.

Well, you said call when the Astros notch up three straight. Well, we did so at the expense of Patrick's Angels. So call it a proper winning streak as the Astros won 5-0 last night at the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim's beautiful ballpark. The one thing I've always feared for my Astros would be us somehow overachieving for the $25M payroll and talent that we have. Don't get me wrong- I love my Astros. However, I am hopeful we keep playing consistently well. You're only doing good when you can consistently win and play hard even in losing efforts. That said, 4-6 is not a bad record heading into the second game of this HOU at LAA series.

Okay, I'll give you that one. The advantage of having a $25 million payroll is that you do have a lot of young players being guided by a solid veteran. They may be inexperienced, especially this early in the season, but they will peak come September.

Rubber Game on Sunday. I heard LAA beat my Astros 5-4 on a Walk-Off hit. Our 3-game win streak is over, and the Angels' 5-game skid is over.

Fernandez is ****in' nasty. When he threw his first slider I was like

ikVEIn6.gif

Then he threw a running FB outside that cut away from the batter. 2 count. Follows it with a hard slider that starts way outside then cuts ALL THE WAY IN THE BOX. Batter was hella late because everyone in the park thought it'd be a ball. Another K. Watching from the straightaway centerfield camera I was like

20Rhr59.gif

Then he hit the RBI single and I was like

3RgoJHy.gif

Then the bullpen blew the game and I was like

T7xl2.gif

Then they came back and won in the 9th and I was like

wHyngBP.gif

Absolutely agree on the nasty stuff that Fernando was throwing. Both my son's and my jaws dropped on that slider that cut all the way across.

Both starters pitched superbly, neither was around for the finish but that's the way it goes in tight games like that. Good to see Hamels have an outing like that after his first two starts.

After getting back to .500, we're back down below. I suppose it's progress; last year it took us until Sept 11th to reach .500.

Fernandez reminds me of King Felix a bit... Not a bad thing at all. The hardest pitchers to hit are the ones with a 95 MPH Fastball and a filthy slider... You really don't need anything else and if you do its just unfair. I'm happy for the Marlins but MLB really needs to get rid of Jeff Loria.

Giants play the 4th game of the series against the Cubs in a few minutes, hopefully Timmy will settle in this time. He just needs to avoid the big inning that he had last time and hopefully our offense will wake up again. We always have a hard time against the Cubs for whatever reason.

Latest Posts

Back