Manufacturers Team Championship SEASON 2! Race 6 Info Posted!

  • Thread starter Thread starter EivlEvo
  • 312 comments
  • 15,973 views
So I'll be open here as we're all friends, Team UK was definitely planning on a no-pit strategy again. However, that tire wear/speed thing has me wondering. Anyone getting any tire wear testing in today?
 
you and your big mouth! :mad:




;)

It's okay. I was guessing as much and I'm sure others were too. If your lap times are slow enough we may have time to pit and keep it close. :)
 
Damn PD for running updates last night so now I get to drive with no testing! Gah!

Also... I'll need to download and install the update before the race... I should have time, but if I run a bit late, thats why. If it ends up being a problem, I'll let people know both here AND in my lounge (provided I can get in) about rescheduling.

Has anyone rammed their car into pit lane yet to see how the new update affects that? I read that they changed it?
 
Last edited:
Hey Guys

I am waiting on the download to complete and install, It is saying 25 mins or so atm.. looks like I might not make it =/
 
Try restarting your PS3 and redoing the DL...
 
yaaa, that just started it over again, sorry Ferrari =(
 
Way to go Wizard. Great racing all.
 
lol, K1llD0z3R I was kidding with my last comment.

For some reason this forum will not let me post smiley faces so sometimes my sarcasm is lost.

Great racing everyone! Another great field of competitors. I had fun working my way up the field after someone else spun me completely off the track on lap 2. I was definitely gaining ground but unfortunately the tires on the Lotus were not able to go the distance, so that strategy failed, lol.

Until next time fellas!
 
lol, K1llD0z3R I was kidding with my last comment.

For some reason this forum will not let me post smiley faces so sometimes my sarcasm is lost.

Great racing everyone! Another great field of competitors. I had fun working my way up the field after someone else spun me completely off the track on lap 2. I was definitely gaining ground but unfortunately the tires on the Lotus were not able to go the distance, so that strategy failed, lol.

Until next time fellas!

I picked up on the sarcasm LOL

Don't forget to send Phreak the UK Pitstop memo next time. LOL
 
Great race last night. Nice job getting the win Wizard. Looking forward to the next race.
 
Great fun guys and congratulations to Wizard on the win. I'm glad I missed the carnage on lap 2.

Very clean race the rest of the way and lots of strategy with the tires. Although I'm not sure Phreaks worked :)
 
Thanks fellas, that was a lot of fun. :)

DudeTuna was on my tail the whole race. We separated a bit during our pitstops (we pitted on different laps) but other than that I don't think we we're more than 4 or 5 seconds apart the whole race and it was usually less than that. I think his R390 was better in the corners, but my Camaro had a little more power. He'd catch me through the slower areas of the track but then I pull away on the faster areas.

Not being able to test much with the new tire wear model, I thought for sure I was going to have to pit twice. I'm notoriously hard on tires. I race with DudeTuna quite a bit and know he's notoriously easy on tires. I realized early in the race that pitting twice wasn't going to be an option if I were to have a chance to beat him.

With about 2 or 3 laps to go he was again hot on my tail when we ran in to some traffic. I'm not sure but I think he got caught up in the traffic a little, whereas I got through it fairly quickly. That was probably the difference in the end, as his pace was almost 2 seconds faster per lap at that time. Awesome race, Dude. :)

All in all that was an extremely fun race and I look forward to the next one.

Also, it seemed the starting grid order didn't represent where we qualified. Perhaps it was just a glitch or perhaps the correct option wasn't chosen before race time? I'm not sure. We've had grid order problems before over at STGT so we started to reset the track 15 minutes before race time to clear the times posted up to that point. With the slate clean, we then use that 15 minutes for qualifying. So far we've had no problems doing it that way. Might be something for you to consider.

Thanks again everyone for a great race and thanks again EivlEvo for putting it all together. 👍
 
Last edited:
Thanks fellas, that was a lot of fun. :)

DudeTuna was on my tail the whole race. We separated a bit during our pitstops (we pitted on different laps) but other than that I don't think we we're more than 4 or 5 seconds apart the whole race and it was usually less than that. I think his R390 was better in the corners, but my Camaro had a little more power. He'd catch me through the slower areas of the track but then I pull away on the faster areas.

Not being able to test much with the new tire wear model, I thought for sure I was going to have to pit twice. I'm notoriously hard on tires. I race with DudeTuna quite a bit and know he's notoriously easy on tires. I realized early in the race that pitting twice wasn't going to be an option if I were to have a chance to beat him.

With about 2 or 3 laps to go he was again hot on my tail when we ran in to some traffic. I'm not sure but I think he got caught up in the traffic a little, whereas I got through it fairly quickly. That was probably the difference in the end, as his pace was almost 2 seconds faster per lap at that time. Awesome race, Dude. :)

All in all that was an extremely fun race and I look forward to the next one.

Also, it seemed the starting grid order didn't represent where we qualified. Perhaps it was just a glitch or perhaps the correct option wasn't chosen before race time? I'm not sure. We've had grid order problems before over at STGT so we started to reset the track 15 minutes before race time to clear the times posted up to that point. With the slate clean, we then use that 15 minutes for qualifying. So far we've had no problems doing it that way. Might be something for you to consider.

Thanks again everyone for a great race and thanks again EivlEvo for putting it all together. 👍

Yeah... I'm not sure what the deal has been with the grid start. I have it setup for fastest first. Last race it didn't seem to take either. I'll look into it...

I was the guy who mixed it up with Dawson... we were mixing it up a bit too much I think and ended up 2 wide through some fast turns and I just ended up eating him up when a tire caught the grass.

I think Lance and I might be the only ones using controllers?
 
I think Lance and I might be the only ones using controllers?

Well, I know DesertSniper72 is a controller user. I want to say PsychoPhreak is one too, but I'm not 100% on that.

I picked up the Fanatec CSR with some CSR Elite pedals a while back and absolutely love it. 👍
 
With about 2 or 3 laps to go he was again hot on my tail when we ran in to some traffic. I'm not sure but I think he got caught up in the traffic a little, whereas I got through it fairly quickly. That was probably the difference in the end, as his pace was almost 2 seconds faster per lap at that time. Awesome race, Dude. :)

Yeah, that was my fault. The "traffic" was me. Sorry Dude, tried to get out of your way, but bad section of track and since I was also apparently laggy, you got the short end of that exchange. Just couldn't find a convenient spot to get out of your way. Wizard's pass was easier to allow on the downhill straight/slow right section, but you got stuck with the little switchback left/right combo before the tunnel.

Lesson learned for the back markers -- if you see one and two coming up behind, best to let them both by together, rather than screwing up two's chance to win by slowing him down more than the guy in first.

Unless, of course, it's your teammate in the lead.:sly:

Alright, enough apologizing. What I want to know is when Dude is offering tuning classes! I hear his Z from week one was like magic...

Oh, and DFGT here. Hoping for maybe a CSW after release. Really want proper rims for GT and F1.
 
Btw...

Officially I go by the rules in le mans style racing for overtaking. When a proto is trying to overtake a gt car (so faster trying to overtake slower) whoever is in front has full rights to the racing line. They should race on that line, as that is what is expected by the faster driver trying to overtake.

It's the overtaking drivers responsibility to find a way around the slower driver.

Also... flexi... remember last season on Eiger when you lagged in turn 1 and went clear across the track and into your teammate. Lol... that makes me lol so hard man! Thats back in the days of full damage as well. Yikes... that'll humble you.

Haha...
 
Btw...

Officially I go by the rules in le mans style racing for overtaking. When a proto is trying to overtake a gt car (so faster trying to overtake slower) whoever is in front has full rights to the racing line. They should race on that line, as that is what is expected by the faster driver trying to overtake.

It's the overtaking drivers responsibility to find a way around the slower driver.

Also... flexi... remember last season on Eiger when you lagged in turn 1 and went clear across the track and into your teammate. Lol... that makes me lol so hard man! Thats back in the days of full damage as well. Yikes... that'll humble you.

Haha...

Oh I remember, but it wasn't me who lagged -- it was someone else who took out both Nissan drivers in turn 3. Funny now, but being a lap down after completing one lap in a 100hp car was pretty frustrating then. Basically drove the remaining 29 laps all alone.

Really wish PD could do something to shore up online so that we don't have to deal with a car "jumping" all over the track. In DTM3, I had several races ruined by lag.

I wonder if turning off voice chat would help with lag/disconnect issues? That bit you guys last night with Lance DC'ing.
 
As to overtaking: Having spent so much time recently playing F1 2011, I'm currently conditioned to give way when being lapped. That's a "blue flag" in F1, and it means "get the hell off the racing line" and let the faster car by. Good example of different rules followed by different people.

We should probably specify which rule set is "standard" for this series so we can all be working from the same book.
 
Hmm... I wonder about the voice... maybe I'll try setting it lower?

I'm open to suggestions on the rules for overtaking. LeMans style seemed to make the most sense since those cars are abundant in GT5. That also wasn't implying that if I were down a lap, I wouldn't move... I was speaking purely on the idea that being on the lead lap, but about to get lapped. When the leaders caught us in this last race, you and I were still very much racing.

Anyone have any other thoughts on the overtaking?
 
Don't have any thoughts on overtaking....but turning off mics really helps with lag....

Also Evo, I should be good to go next race...
 
Regarding the issue of overtaking I feel that is well within the rights of the car in the front to maintain the preferably line. I'd take issue with the slower car (in front) intentionally blocking on straightaways but as to corners you should work around them. Naturally things get a little sloppy when the tires start to wear down but everyone in this race series seems pretty considerate.

One curiosity I have is that I could have sworn that GT5 made lapped cars transparent so that people on the lead lap could just drive right through them. I know that's been the case in the past but of late I have no noticed it at all. Anyone else have anything to say about that?
 
One curiosity I have is that I could have sworn that GT5 made lapped cars transparent so that people on the lead lap could just drive right through them. I know that's been the case in the past but of late I have no noticed it at all. Anyone else have anything to say about that?

That only happens when penalties are turned on. I'm not positive but I believe it's always been that way.
 
I hope that my paragraph on traffic didn't come across like I thought anyone did anything "wrong" or that anyone was at "fault". That was absolutely not my intent and if it came across that way, I apologize. I was just describing what I thought might have happened and figured it was just part of racing. :)

Having said that, I could go on and on about my thoughts on overtaking. In short, I think it's highly dependent on the series/race/situation. But to generalize a bit, I would say the following...

If the driver about to be lapped wants to stick to his line and force me to pass, fine by me.

If the driver about to be lapped wants to move over and let me pass, fine by me.

In other words, user choice. As long as the intentions of the driver being passed are clear so the overtaking driver doesn't have to guess.


Regarding lag... Setting the mics to low could possibly help. Also, something else I've been doing lately that has helped tremendously is bypassing my router for longer racing sessions and plugging the PS3 directly into my modem. This gives me Nat Type 1 and so far I've had great results. In my opinion, if everyone in the room did this, lag would be reduced, if not eliminated.
 
Regarding overtaking, a few of us race together pretty regularly, so we're pretty courteous with not blocking and making an overtake as easy as possible. As far as I'm concerned, if i'm about to be lapped, I will do what I can to make it as easy as possible to make the pass, unless your name is Dude. ;)

As for the mics, I can race with them or without, but I am not in a position to hardwire the PS3.
 
First things first. I feel the same as Wizard on lapped traffic.
"If the driver about to be lapped wants to stick to his line and force me to pass, fine by me."
"If the driver about to be lapped wants to move over and let me pass, fine by me."

There is/was no need to apologize. We got together and it was just as much my fault. When I finished the race behind Wizard the thought NEVER crossed my mind, "dang FunkMuffin ruined my race". No I was thinking dang I wish I had pitted when he did and I should have been better through that hairpin. I lost a lot of tire and time in that hairpin during the course of the race. We're all here for fun and I had a freaking blast!

I don't consider myself a tuner of any sorts, but I am more than happy to share whatever knowledge I may have managed to acquired. I got back into the GT series with Prologue and have been driving as often as I can ever since. The best advice I have got from folks who are way faster than I will ever be is, "Smooth is Fast".

What I have seen to work the most consistently for Q and proper grid order.

When ready for Q. Host changes track to any other track then back to where race is at (this resets the best lap on track). Then set race start time to allow for X amount of qualifying time. Race will auto start and grid will fill proper by times.

Low voice settings work just fine usually. My PS3 is hard wired to my router. I'm using a static IP for the PS3 and opened ports TCP: 80, 443, 5223. UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658, 3659. It is NAT 2 that way and has worked fine. I can easily plug the PS3 into my modem if that's what we want to try.

Wow, I don't normally do word walls, but here it is. LOL

Good Times
 
Back