May Car of the Month - Camaro, Then and Now!

Its been a while since i`ve got around to join in around here! But I always at least start at tune for you guys, and this month I`ve actually finished one! :)
With all the FWD shennanigans currently underway at Cote D`azur, I`ve been using this tune around the Nordschliefe to remind me that not all cars just understeer! ;)
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 `69 505PP
View attachment 368669
But is it not supposed to be dark red with black stripes? :confused:

Thought that was what you were using last year when you tried mine.;)

Welcome back to the CoTM. I will definitely give your tune a test/review ASAP.
Thanks 👍 It`ll do the ring in under 8 mins without pushing hard. Great fun, and nice break from FWDs at monaco!

But is it not supposed to be dark red with black stripes? :confused:

Thought that was what you were using last year when you tried mine.;)
Your tune is still dark red with black stripes! :lol: New tune, new car!

I like his colour scheme. It looks like a Chevrolet Camaro Black Edition. Very cool @brian wolf
:cheers:I bought it in Cortez Silver from the dealer, tried a bunch of different blues because I know @Bowtie-muscle loves a blue chevy. But in the end went back to a dark silver because it just looks badass! :)

@Rush471 Camaro SS '10 550pp review:

First, thank you for your continued involvement month after month 👍

Second, nice looking car 👍, other than the rims it looks just like my 575pp version :embarrassed:

You mentioned Laguna and a lap time of 1:27 when you posted, so what better place to begin than there?
Fun and fast, and more lively than @shaunm80 . But, just like his, that liveliness is not at all a bad thing. Helped bring the rear around which helps on several corners here. Not sure if it was just me or my line, but it did bobble in the front end once or twice. But was over qiuckly and never hurt the tune or lap time :). Best lap for me was 1:26.781.

How about a change, let's say Daytona Road Course and the Tuned Car race. The handling was great here, on the rare occasion the rear did step out it was easy to catch without lifting off the throttle. The trans/gearing were simply marvelous for this track, but I did find the brakes needed the right braking zones. Although they did work well when you found the correct braking point. Really fun and really quick, with a best lap of 1:49.766. Great job!

And since I was in the mood, a trip across the pond was in order for a shake down at Silverstone International (see review of @shaunm80 550 tune). If you read the review mentioned, I stated what I felt was a good lap here, and what was really good. This tune fell into the REALLY good category as I managed a 1:06.394 :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:, that is a quick lap for 550pp for me. Wow, this tune was seriously good here and super fast. It went by so fast I really did not notice anything good or bad to say about the tune. So I suppose that is all that really needs to be said.:D

Bravo Sir on a lovely tune! :cool:
Hey @Bowtie-muscle! Thanks for a great review! How'd you beat my lap time at Laguna Seca? :lol:

@Rush471

Camaro SS '10 550pp SS

Review

Tested at Tour of America: Race 1 Willow Springs

I have never driven one of your tunes before. Well, I have now and it was fun. I didn't have a single clean lap and I didn't win but I did enjoy myself and that is what this thread is all about. Your tune was loose, quick to turn in, and if you drop it on the dust, it usually spins and you wipe yourself out. Turn around, go again. This tune had the speed in it for a easy win and the transmission was excellent on it. I don't think this is a tune that I can live with right now, but I could certainly drive this and improve my smoothness when driving and get faster and faster lap times with that smoothness. This is a tune to warm up your reflexes for GT Academy I think. :)

I may also get a clean lap in one of these days but to be honest, win or not, I liked how this tune felt and I can see why @Bowtie-muscle loved this tune. I think I need more practice with it but you won't hear me complain about it. It is certainly a tune that I could master and would enjoy driving over and over.

I won't bother telling you my best lap time, its a little embarrassing from previous tunes but I will say this. Great job with this tune. A tune that will make or break you as a driver. I think it would make me as a driver so thats positive in my book.

I can't wait to try another of your tunes.

@GhostRider65

Camaro SS '10 520pp RS

Review

First re-test

Tested on Tour of America Race 1 - Willow Springs

I put this tune on SS tyres to see how it handled this time around. Well, all I will say is Bravo.. It is loose, it is controllable and it is fast. Even on SS tyres, which it wasn't primarily tuned on, it worked so well. This car has a definite muscle car personality now and it handles somewhere between @Rush471 and @Bowtie-muscle. This is a compliment indeed as I love the stability of Bowties and the looseness of Rush471. It had elements of both which makes this car a winner in my book. I have no doubt this car on RS tyres is as epic as the Z28 and I am glad that you did not take my previous review badly. Infact, you made this car something of a surprise in the end. Great job indeed :)

I have a feeling @Bowtie-muscle will have a field day in this tune now.

Keep up the great work.

Camaro SS '10

Tokyo%20R246_1_zpsyhng8hwz.jpg

Each of these tunes work on all sports compound tires, on all tracks.

Chevrolet Camaro SS '10 - 500PP
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10 - 525PP
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10 - 550PP
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10 - 575PP
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10 - 600PP
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10 - 600PP Flat Floor

Circuit%20de%20Spa-Francorchamps_zpsqwrftu8q.jpg

Actually, ummm... they're all kinda identical. Pardon some gearing, and ride height changes, I believe I found a one-size-fits-all of sorts.

But I did spend about half my day with this incredible car. :D
Well, it is a fun ride ain't it?
Most of mine are kinda similar as well. Amazing how versital this car is. Usually 25-50pp changes most cars tunes, not so much with this one. The 69 Z28 However, changes enough to notice.

I thought the flat floor would changes things up, and it did, it carves corners like a Thanksgiving Turkey. It sliced the Nurburgring up like bologna, and approaches GT500 territory @ Laguna Seca. :lol:

Thanks for the review,

One lap I might clip the grass and induce a spin

sure even on wheel you must be very careful :scared:

well maybe you forgot the aero or don't like the looks.

I don't like the looks :grumpy: and also I liked the challenge to make the tune without it.

and a pure monster of American Muscle!
To set American Muscle cars with aero maybe for one of next car of the month you could run Touring Car such as SRT :cheers:

@GhostRider65

Camaro SS '10 520pp RS

Review

First re-test

Tested on Tour of America Race 1 - Willow Springs

I put this tune on SS tyres to see how it handled this time around. Well, all I will say is Bravo.. It is loose, it is controllable and it is fast. Even on SS tyres, which it wasn't primarily tuned on, it worked so well. This car has a definite muscle car personality now and it handles somewhere between @Rush471 and @Bowtie-muscle. This is a compliment indeed as I love the stability of Bowties and the looseness of Rush471. It had elements of both which makes this car a winner in my book. I have no doubt this car on RS tyres is as epic as the Z28 and I am glad that you did not take my previous review badly. Infact, you made this car something of a surprise in the end. Great job indeed :)

I have a feeling @Bowtie-muscle will have a field day in this tune now.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks you shaunm80 !! I appreciate the compliment, especially coming from a high level tuner !! For me, it's already a victory and a satisfaction to be among you, tuners, testers and participate !! Thanks again shaunm80 !!

Reviews: '69 Camaro Z28 500pp SH

Deep Forest Raceway_5.jpg

Who doesn't like this car (die-hard Ford fans maybe :lol:). Looks great from any angle, and a nice drive in stock form - with its 'small' engine and sharp handling. It is often the overdog in its class and is the safe choice for drivers and AI rabbits alike. It is impossible to resist though, so I'll be driving a few tunes.

I did a straight shoot-out at Deep Forest Reverse - my favourite type of track; elements real roads, with a few bumps, camber changes, hills and such like, which can unsettle a car. I did 12 laps in each car, not exactly in exam conditions - kids in the way etc :lol:.

Notes: All the cars were at 500pp, on SH tyres. I used two new cars and I did not install any aero or change the oil, so some power figures are slighty different.

@Bowtie-muscle

383BHP without oil change (less restrictor needed).

Quite a safe tune, I thought, traction was good, really planted and easily corrected if the back stepped away: enough slip at the front to get a four wheel drift and avoid snapping back.

I found Some understeer in the faster corners if my line was less than perfect, and I could lose a fair bit of time into the first tunnel, or over the rise as you exit the tunnel.

One of its greatest strengths was on the brakes - efficient and stable which gave great confidence at the bottom of the hill into the double-apex sweeper. The setup is plenty compliant enough to soak up the bumps and curbs as you head into to the forest section.

Great consistency, if not the fastest, would make this a good race car.

Best lap @ DF-R: 1:24.659

@shaunm80

368BHP without oil change (manifold added)

I added the manifold to get to 500pp without oil change. I think I read this was for a specific event, and eyebrows were raised a little at the jacked up ride height and firm damping. Sure enough it felt a bit odd after Bowtie's tune, and always sounded as if it was struggling for grip with the tyres chirping away over the bumps.

High speed corners were good, though it could get upset over the rises out of the first tunnel and into the final hairpin; I found myself lifting off to stop the back end breaking away sometimes.

The back end was a little loose under power through the tricky, tight forest section but traction was still generally good. I did find the brake levels too high - the ABS would kick in at the bottom of the fast downhill into the big sweeper losing braking efficiency. This is easily fixed of course.

All that said, there are no nasty surprises with this tune, after a few laps the times came down as I got used to it. Even though it sounded like it wasn't as fast as the others, it was - almost.

Best lap @ DF-R: 1:24.774

@CSLACR

Spec as tune. I used a new car for this one as it has +2inch wheels.

New tune, another style and again the transition caused me some problems initially. I got the feeling that rotation was the aim the game with this one - it turns in with lift-off. The back end was a bit looser, the whole thing not quite as safe as some of the others.

No problems through the bumpy section and the curbs, but it did twitch a little over those rises under full power sometimes. Traction is very good, no issue on the brakes on the downhill: everything was sweet as long as I was smooth and the time speaks for itself, but I found consistency a bit of a problem with the DS3. Possibly more of a hot lap tune.

Best lap @ DF-R: 1:24.106

@GhostRider65

369 BHP, no oil change, with engine stage 1.

Some issues with the numbers here - I couldn't see how you would get your bhp at the given weight and 500pp. No drama though, it's the setup we're here to test.

This is the Joker in the pack. Obviously the tune is for RS - but that is a tyre I don't use especially at this level. I read @CSLACR's write-up on Sports Soft so I thought I'd try it on SH - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

This tune has the car sitting low and with firm springs - I expected a hard ride and the tyres to struggle for grip. Not a bit of it! The first thing you notice is the agressive turn-in, even the sports hard bite; not a bit of understeer and it holds all through the corner. Again, differnet tune, took a couple of laps to get used to then I could can gain the confidence in that impressive turn-in.

There are two sides to every coin of course (or ends of a car :lol:), and the back-end is where I had the problems - all be it minor in the end. The rear is a bit looser, and a bit less traction than some of the other cars - the inside rear would spin-up. On these tyres the back can't keep up with the the front and I found a lot of correction initially as it wagged its tail.

However despite the low ride height and firm springs, the damping an ARB allow them to work even on the bumps and I got pretty comfortable with the car. A particularly stand-out section was blasting out of the big sweeper into the the first tunnel of the forest section; the right to left transiton in the tunnel while on the brakes was superb.

A few minor tweaks, such as the diff, and this will be even better on the harder sports tyres. Great tune, big surprise; Joker in the pack indeed!

Best Lap @ DF-R: 1:24.298

@brian wolf

I saw this one turn up I was doing the write-ups. For this I used the Garnet Red car as it has +2 inch rims. To get to 500pp I used 20Kg ballast and 96.8 limiter which gave 1179Kg and 363 BHP. Also I note that the designated tyre is CS, and I am using SH.

Initial feeling, was quite a lot of understeer, especially in the important fast corners; turn 1 to the uphill and the wide right along the barrier into the first tunnel. I felt that I couldn't carry so much speed into the corners. Eventually I worked out that being off the throttle caused understeer and getting on the power pointed her up again.

Even so, I had a lot of problems with this. A bit of instability under braking, The high rear brakes bringing the back end round, spinning up the outside rear through on the exit and struggling with traction.

Then I realised this had considerable brake release rotation in the slower corners (maybe a product of using comfort tyres) and I could use this through the forest section. Still, 10 laps in I could not better 1:25.

Lap 11, I was thinking I was about done, but I didn't give up on it :dopey:. Slow in, fast out is what this set up needs - no aggressive corner entry like the Ghostrider tune. I still struggled with grip out of the sweeper into the forest tunnels and outside rear was lighting up as I modulated the throttle. I could see I was well ahead of the yellow marker on the map. Use the brake-release rotation for the tight left handers (not tidy but...), watch the throttle through the last twisties, then Boomshanka!

Best Lap @ DF-R: 1:23.852

I did have to fight with this car a bit, which was I think my problem; it needs subtlety. I would probably struggle for consisency in a race, more of a TT tune.

Deep Forest Raceway_7.jpg

So now I have five tunes on two different cars, all different and a great choice to have for any occasion. I think a bit more practice with any of those tunes would close the time gap without too much trouble. Great work everyone 👍

Deep Forest Raceway_6.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 369144

Who doesn't like this car (die-hard Ford fans maybe :lol:). Looks great from any angle, and a nice drive in stock form - with its 'small' engine and sharp handling. It is often the overdog in its class and is the safe choice for drivers and AI rabbits alike. It is impossible to resist though, so I'll be driving a few tunes.

I did a straight shoot-out at Deep Forest Reverse - my favourite type of track; elements real roads, with a few bumps, camber changes, hills and such like, which can unsettle a car. I did 12 laps in each car, not exactly in exam conditions - kids in the way etc :lol:.

Notes: All the cars were at 500pp, on SH tyres. I used two new cars and I did not install any aero or change the oil, so some power figures are slighty different.

@Bowtie-muscle

Quite a safe tune, I thought, traction was good, really planted and easily corrected if the back stepped away: enough slip at the front to get a four wheel drift and avoid snapping back.

I found Some understeer in the faster corners if my line was less than perfect, and I could lose a fair bit of time into the first tunnel, or over the rise as you exit the tunnel.

One of its greatest strengths was on the brakes - efficient and stable which gave great confidence at the bottom of the hill into the double-apex sweeper. The setup is plenty compliant enough to soak up the bumps and curbs as you head into to the forest section.

@shaunm80

I added the manifold to get to 500pp without oil change. I think I read this was for a specific event, and eyebrows were raised a little at the jacked up ride height and firm damping. Sure enough it felt a bit odd after Bowtie's tune, and always sounded as if it was struggling for grip with the tyres chirping away over the bumps.

High speed corners were good, though it could get upset over the rises out of the first tunnel and into the final hairpin; I found myself lifting off to stop the back end breaking away sometimes.

The back end was a little loose under power through the tricky, tight forest section but traction was still generally good. I did find the brake levels too high - the ABS would kick in at the bottom of the fast downhill into the big sweeper losing braking efficiency. This is easily fixed of course.

All that said, there are no nasty surprises with this tune, after a few laps the times came down as I got used to it. Even though it sounded like it wasn't as fast as the others, it was - almost.

@CSLACR

New tune, another style and again the transition caused me some problems initially. I got the feeling that rotation was the aim the game with this one - it turns in with lift-off. The back end was a bit looser, the whole thing not quite as safe as some of the others.

No problems through the bumpy section and the curbs, but it did twitch a little over those rises under full power sometimes. Traction is very good, no issue on the brakes on the downhill: everything was sweet as long as I was smooth and the time speaks for itself, but I found consistency a bit of a problem with the DS3. Possibly more of a hot lap tune.

@GhostRider65

Some issues with the numbers here - I couldn't see how you would get your bhp at the given weight and 500pp. No drama though, it's the setup we're here to test.

This is the Joker in the pack. Obviously the tune is for RS - but that is a tyre I don't use especially at this level. I read @CSLACR's write-up on Sports Soft so I thought I'd try it on SH - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

This tune has the car sitting low and with springs - I expected a hard ride and the tyres to struggle for grip. Not a bit of it! The first thing you notice is the agressive turn-in, even the sports hard bite; not a bit of understeer and it holds all through the corner. Again, differnet tune, took a couple of laps to get used to then I could can gain the confidence in that impressive turn-in.

There are two sides to every coin of course (or ends of a car :lol:), and the back-end is where I had the problems - all be it minor in the end. The rear is a bit looser, and a bit less traction than some of the other cars - the inside rear would spin-up. On these tyres the back can't keep up with the the front and I found a lot of correction initially as it wagged its tail.

However despite the low ride height and firm springs, the damping an ARB allow them to work even on the bumps and I got pretty comfortable with the car. A particularly stand-out section was blasting out of the big sweeper into the the first tunnel of the forest section; the right to left transiton in the tunnel while on the brakes was superb.

A few minor tweaks, such as the diff, and this will be even better on the harder sports tyres. Great tune, big surprise; Joker in the pack indeed!

@brian wolf

I saw this one turn up I was doing the write-ups. For this I used the Garnet Red car as it has +2 inch rims. To get to 500pp I used 20Kg ballast and 96.8 limiter which gave 1179Kg and 363 BHP. Also I note that the designated tyre is CS, and I am using SH.

Initial feeling, was quite a lot of understeer, especially in the important fast corners; turn 1 to the uphill and the wide right along the barrier into the first tunnel. I felt that I couldn't carry so much speed into the corners. Eventually I worked out that being off the throttle caused understeer and getting on the power pointed her up again.

Even so, I had a lot of problems with this. A bit of instability under braking, The high rear brakes bringing the back end round, spinning up the outside rear through on the exit and struggling with traction.

Then I realised this had considerable brake release rotation in the slower corners (maybe a product of using comfort tyres) and I could use this through the forest section. Still, 10 laps in I could not better 1:25.

Lap 11, I was thinking I was about done, but I didn't give up on it :dopey:. Slow in, fast out is what this set up needs - no aggressive corner entry like the Ghostrider tune. I still struggled with grip out of the sweeper into the forest tunnels and outside rear was lighting up as I modulated the throttle. I could see I was well ahead of the yellow marker on the map. Use the brake-release rotation for the tight left handers (not tidy but...), watch the throttle through the last twisties, then Boomshanka!

I did have to fight with this car a bit, which was I think my problem; it needs subtlety. I would probably struggle for consisency in a race, more of a TT tune.

View attachment 369150

So now I have five tunes on two different cars, all different and a great choice to have for any occasion. I think a bit more practice with any of those tunes would close the time gap without too much trouble. Great work everyone 👍

View attachment 369154

Hi Woodski_427 !! My Camaro posted at 500pp developed 373 bhp, engine setting is standard without stage 1 !! Still one of my many mistakes, fortunately there is not the mistake of the month because i fight and wins easily :gtpflag: Thanks for your review Woodski_427 !! and sorry !!

Hi Woodski_427 !! My Camaro posted at 500pp developed 373 bhp, engine setting is standard without stage 1 !! Still one of my many mistakes, fortunately there is not the mistake of the month because i fight and wins easily :gtpflag: Thanks for your review Woodski_427 !! and sorry !!

I didn't do oil changes on my cars so I made changes as necessary, it's probably down to that. It doesn't really matter anyway. 👍

View attachment 369144

@Bowtie-muscle

@shaunm80

@CSLACR

@GhostRider65

This tune has the car sitting low and with springs - I expected a hard ride and the tyres to struggle for grip. Not a bit of it! The first thing you notice is the agressive turn-in, even the sports hard bite; not a bit of understeer and it holds all through the corner. Again, differnet tune, took a couple of laps to get used to then I could can gain the confidence in that impressive turn-in.

@brian wolf

View attachment 369150

View attachment 369154
Great review, very thorough and very interesting to see the difference between the tunes:tup:

Thank you for trying my tune, as has been the case in many FITT events, it may be a bit safe. But, that was how I liked it and it is more of a race tune than a TT tune. I set it up for consistency, so over 12 laps of May have been close to lowest overall time but not the fastest lap. Was also done a year ago and I've never changed it. I hope you enjoyed taking the babies out for joy rides.:D

@Bowtie-muscle

Camaro Z28 ’69 525PP SS Review

Test Track: Super - Ascari Race Resort 10-Lap Challenge

I haven’t driving many cars lately with SS & ABS/1 so my perception is a bit off, I’m more into driving with no aids what so ever with fast tire wear and fuel.

First impressions is that it feels like a gliding rock, solid on the ground but when turning wants to travel some extra distance on the outside. On flat surfaces it’s very smooth but when hitting bumps the front end will bounce a bit and traction is lost for a short instance. Braking was powerful and even (forgot how abs/1 felt :rolleyes:). Acceleration is also very good though out of curve, you may want to dose the pedal a bit too not overstrain the tires. Feels like a sprint car where you want to find the longest straight lines as often as you can. The car does turn well but has a bulky feeling, it may be also that I’m only using CH to CS lately and I’ve gotten use to a bit of more car slide.

This car will appeal to a wide variety of people, very grippy and very fast for it’s PP level.👍

Camaro SS’10 500PP SS Review

Test Track: Int.B Tour Of America Big Willow & Int.B Super Car Festival Silverstone Int.

I really liked this one more, it has a looser feeling to it giving you more the impression that you are controlling it and not the opposite. Out of curve acceleration is linear and easily controllable and quite a fast little bugger. At Silverstone I upgraded the tires to SM after losing out twice to the Pagani, won by 0.168 , cool :D.

Nostalgia would make me pick the old one but the new one wins high and wide in my mind. Nice job 👍, if I were to take a ride in the countryside I would take the '69, I'm sure the it would add a lot more to the scenery and it would get so much more attention, +
Beebee-080921-7630.jpg
would find it so much cooler. :cheers:

@shaunm80

New & Old

Z28 ’69 vs SS’10

Since I was trying out 2 cars with the same PP and tires I thought I’d go with a different angle, sort of like a A/B comparison chart. Test track was Deep Forest. These are just my impressions :P and is in no way a scientific analysis.

Picture 2.png

The ’69 is a hell of a beast on this track :scared:, the slightest error and you lose it :banghead:, to much gas and you lose it :banghead::banghead:, brake late and you lose it :banghead::banghead::banghead:, even on a relatively straight line you can lose it when hitting that perfect bump, so why was it more fun than the new one? :crazy: :lol:.

The ’10 was much more docile 👍, faster and more appropriate for this track 👍. If you make a mistake you can always catch it 👍👍👍, what disappointed me was that it was only 1 second faster then the old one :odd:, considering all the driving skills you need to keep the old one on the road I was expecting a much bigger difference.

The chart says the SS ’10 is the winner but the reviewer says .....

Camaro Z28 1969
:cool:
:cheers:

Camaro SS '10 - Test

@Bowtie-muscle 500pp SH

Yeee Haaaawwwwwww!!!:eek:

Deep Forest Raceway_15.jpg

First modern Camaro drive, 12 laps around Deep Forest Reverse. I'm almost speechless (or should that be type-less :dopey:). Loads of grip, well-balanced, turns-in when you lift off...push, push and then push it some more, it took everything I threw at it. The only time I came unstuck was going in too way too hot (and no amount of tuning can fix that kind of stupidity :dopey:), and the second time I jumped into the tunnel :lol::ouch:.

It is a safe tune but fun with it. I just had a big grin on my face with this baby - I could easily provoke that back end into a slide with no danger of losing it. Get out of shape with 4 wheels sideways over the bumps, the back end jumps and breaks away; a little correction and carry on as though nothing has happened.

Fastest time was 1:23.3xx. I have no idea if this will be a fast 500pp '10 Camaro or not. I didn't care. And that might be the car's one downside - it's hard not to hoon about like a Bogun in a Ute (ask @Pete05 :lol:) and try for a serious time, for me at least :D.

This is the kind of car that makes me wish I had my old Mount Aso test tracks from GT5 :grumpy:. On that note, Ima get me some new tyres and head back to the forest....

Deep Forest Raceway_16.jpg

Can't wait to get into a few more modern Camaros :cheers:

Last edited:

@shaunm80

Thank you for the excellent review. It was tuned for a specific event. One with smooth tarmac and high curbs.. That may explain the reason for the height of the car and the firm dampeners.. :) I am happy to see you adjusted to my tune though and your time was very good with this car. I will be honest about the brakes, they are set for me driving.. I like them to be hit just once, and then off the brakes and on to the power.. Hence why they are (usually) stronger than most people like. I do adjust them for FITT competitions due to the fact that I am tuning for others to drive.. but my own tunes.. yeah, firm brakes, maybe too strong but my old DS3 is falling to bits and it needs assistance from time to time :lol:

@shaunm80

New & Old

Z28 ’69 vs SS’10

Since I was trying out 2 cars with the same PP and tires I thought I’d go with a different angle, sort of like a A/B comparison chart. Test track was Deep Forest. These are just my impressions :P and is in no way a scientific analysis.

The ’69 is a hell of a beast on this track :scared:, the slightest error and you lose it :banghead:, to much gas and you lose it :banghead::banghead:, brake late and you lose it :banghead::banghead::banghead:, even on a relatively straight line you can lose it when hitting that perfect bump, so why was it more fun than the new one? :crazy: :lol:.

The ’10 was much more docile 👍, faster and more appropriate for this track 👍. If you make a mistake you can always catch it 👍👍👍, what disappointed me was that it was only 1 second faster then the old one :odd:, considering all the driving skills you need to keep the old one on the road I was expecting a much bigger difference.

The chart says the SS ’10 is the winner but the reviewer says .....

Camaro Z28 1969
:cool:
:cheers:
I always enjoy your reviews. Mainly because I never know what sort of review you are going to throw at us. I certainly didnt' expect a direct comparison between new and old and you are right, the new car is better is so many ways on paper, but I would always go for the Z28 '69 car because it is so much fun to throw around, nearly crash and you are happy that it does that.. I am not sure why. Perhaps we stereotype cars. Old cars can't handle, so we just have fun in them.. Until either me, it or both of us die.

Great review and I applaud your choice for the winner. The 69 is very beast like, the 550PP SS car is even more beast than this.. believe it or not.. however, once again, it is fun and thats what we like. The reason this car is so quick is because it has a lot of torque, and a very efficient transmission setup to maximise the power output. It did this very well I feel.

I am wondering what sort of review you are going to be coming up with next.. I am definitely looking forward to however you present it. :cheers:

Great review, very thorough and very interesting to see the difference between the tunes:tup:

Thank you for trying my tune, as has been the case in many FITT events, it may be a bit safe. But, that was how I liked it and it is more of a race tune than a TT tune. I set it up for consistency, so over 12 laps of May have been close to lowest overall time but not the fastest lap. Was also done a year ago and I've never changed it. I hope you enjoyed taking the babies out for joy rides.:D

Yes it was a good test, and as far as I can remember, the first time I have tried so many different tunes for the same car. Great fun as I really like DF Reverse, I can get a bit bored on the clinical tarmac of 'proper' race tracks.

I would say I found your tune was the most consistent, and may have suffered a little in fastest time, in that it was the first one.

Thank you for the excellent review. It was tuned for a specific event. One with smooth tarmac and high curbs.. That may explain the reason for the height of the car and the firm dampeners.. :) I am happy to see you adjusted to my tune though and your time was very good with this car. I will be honest about the brakes, they are set for me driving.. I like them to be hit just once, and then off the brakes and on to the power.. Hence why they are (usually) stronger than most people like. I do adjust them for FITT competitions due to the fact that I am tuning for others to drive.. but my own tunes.. yeah, firm brakes, maybe too strong but my old DS3 is falling to bits and it needs assistance from time to time :lol:

It wasn't particularly well suited to Deep Forest, but was competent nonetheless - and even though it felt like a struggle it was in the same ball park 👍. Brakes are easy enough to sort out, and with the DS3 triggers I could mostly adjust. I'll try something more suitable next time :lol:

@Bowtie-muscle

I said I would put an image of your brightly coloured flat floor version on here. Well, here it is. I think you'd approve.

Silverstone International Circuit.jpg

The bonnet has a few bumps due to "other" drivers banging in to me..

I am going to be building one of these myself when I have some time. Hopefully this month whilst this thread is still active but uni work is piled up to the ceiling so gotta start hacking pieces out of that very soon.

@Bowtie-muscle

Camaro Z28 ’69 525PP SS Review

Test Track: Super - Ascari Race Resort 10-Lap Challenge

I haven’t driving many cars lately with SS & ABS/1 so my perception is a bit off, I’m more into driving with no aids what so ever with fast tire wear and fuel.

First impressions is that it feels like a gliding rock, solid on the ground but when turning wants to travel some extra distance on the outside. On flat surfaces it’s very smooth but when hitting bumps the front end will bounce a bit and traction is lost for a short instance. Braking was powerful and even (forgot how abs/1 felt :rolleyes:). Acceleration is also very good though out of curve, you may want to dose the pedal a bit too not overstrain the tires. Feels like a sprint car where you want to find the longest straight lines as often as you can. The car does turn well but has a bulky feeling, it may be also that I’m only using CH to CS lately and I’ve gotten use to a bit of more car slide.

This car will appeal to a wide variety of people, very grippy and very fast for it’s PP level.👍

Camaro SS’10 500PP SS Review

Test Track: Int.B Tour Of America Big Willow & Int.B Super Car Festival Silverstone Int.

I really liked this one more, it has a looser feeling to it giving you more the impression that you are controlling it and not the opposite. Out of curve acceleration is linear and easily controllable and quite a fast little bugger. At Silverstone I upgraded the tires to SM after losing out twice to the Pagani, won by 0.168 , cool :D.

Nostalgia would make me pick the old one but the new one wins high and wide in my mind. Nice job 👍, if I were to take a ride in the countryside I would take the '69, I'm sure the it would add a lot more to the scenery and it would get so much more attention, + View attachment 369194 would find it so much cooler. :cheers:
Thank you the review and giving up some of your Elegance time. And thank you for the pics as well, but Jazmin would never stick her head out the window. She preferred to sit up in the passenger seat like a human. Or lay her head on my arm if it was on the console. Glad you liked the new one.
Camaro SS '10 - Test

@Bowtie-muscle 500pp SH

View attachment 369200

First modern Camaro drive, 12 laps around Deep Forest Reverse. I'm almost speechless (or should that be type-less :dopey:). Loads of grip, well-balanced, turns-in when you lift off...push, push and then push it some more, it took everything I threw at it. The only time I came unstuck was going in too way too hot (and no amount of tuning can fix that kind of stupidity :dopey:), and the second time I jumped into the tunnel :lol::ouch:.

It is a safe tune but fun with it. I just had a big grin on my face with this baby - I could easily provoke that back end into a slide with no danger of losing it. Get out of shape with 4 wheels sideways over the bumps, the back end jumps and breaks away; a little correction and carry on as though nothing has happened.

Fastest time was 1:23.3xx. I have no idea if this will be a fast 500pp '10 Camaro or not. I didn't care. And that might be the car's one downside - it's hard not to hoon about like a Bogun in a Ute (ask @Pete05 :lol:) and try for a serious time, for me at least :D.

This is the kind of car that makes me wish I had my old Mount Aso test tracks from GT5 :grumpy:. On that note, Ima get me some new tyres and head back to the forest....

View attachment 369201

If you enjoyed it that much, there may be 1 or 2 others you should enjoy as well!
@Bowtie-muscle

I said I would put an image of your brightly coloured flat floor version on here. Well, here it is. I think you'd approve.

View attachment 369479

The bonnet has a few bumps due to "other" drivers banging in to me..

I am going to be building one of these myself when I have some time. Hopefully this month whilst this thread is still active but uni work is piled up to the ceiling so gotta start hacking pieces out of that very soon.
I approve, think you will have building one, it'll surprise you.

@brian wolf

Thanks for testing mine even though you had already done the others! :cheers: Well done on the time and thanks for sticking with it. 👍 I don`t suppose it was very easy on DS3! It was built for some light relief from all the FWDs I`m testing at the moment! Its great fun to slide around the `ring on CS! :D

Camaro SS '10 - Test

@Bowtie-muscle 500pp SH

View attachment 369200

View attachment 369201

If you've ever driven a ute with no payload in the wet or on gravel, (doesn't even have to be a V8) you'll find a Camaro a piece of cake. It just takes control & skill :P

Back