Microsoft Doesn't See Sony's PS5 as Competition for the Xbox

Funny to read, 'course Sony isn't a rival to Xbox, Playstation at least has what it needs to be on their own and you still can play Playstation games on Sony phone, even all ever possible with Playstation Now. And Xbox, Stadia, what ever, going to stream games to every house, games? What games?

Isn’t PlayStation now a cloud based streaming service?

PlayStation Now is more about backwards-compatibility under the guise of cloud gaming. I expect that to change with the PS5.

Funny to read, 'course Sony isn't a rival to Xbox, Playstation at least has what it needs to be on their own and you still can play Playstation games on Sony phone, even all ever possible with Playstation Now. And Xbox, Stadia, what ever, going to stream games to every house, games? What games?

I think you've missed the point. Sony games being playable on Sony devices isn't the same thing as an Xbox game being playable on an iPhone or a Google Pixel. And the only platform there that doesn't have games is Stadia...which looks to be changing this year as they're promising well over 100 games added to Stadia before year's end.

Playstation at least has what it needs to be on their own and you still can play Playstation games on Sony phone, even all ever possible with Playstation Now.

And you can play Playstation games on PC as well, you just have to download a Playstation Now program/app and you are ready to go:

upload_2020-2-6_21-48-38.png

I haven't tried it, so I don't know how good this work though.

I'm sticking to Playstation consoles as long as they make them, with streaming games all kinds of problems can occur, even streaming from HBO Nordic isn't problem free and I don't watch that much tv shows/movies compared to how much I play games, I play a lot and a Playstation console gives me the least of gaming problems, for instance, no latency what's so ever, I don't play online games anymore, but I played Destiny 1 and everytime I teamed up with someone for raids etc someone had problems with their internet, so did I, so the internet has to be much, much better than it is now, before I'm even starting to think about streaming games.

My internet provider are using Coax Cable now, which needs to have amplifiers to strengthen the signal, but they have started to upgrade their network with Optical Fibre, that will probably help, no amplifiers needed, the glass cable is melted together, no need for connectors and such, so that should mean less problems from me to them, but my internet provider can't control what happens to all the other servers I have to go through to get to e.g Playstation Now, so streaming games are in my opinion to ask for unnessary problems, I will gladly buy gaming consoles rest of my life to ensure best gaming experience as possible. :D

Last edited:
Microsoft will kill themselves with this brain dead idea. Unless they have a way to reduce the current input lag by half it will be pathetically slow and virtually unplayable for multiplayer.

Don’t even attempt racing sims with that laughably bad input lag. The tech simply is not there yet or anytime soon. And that’s for optimal conditions, once you fall into the average internet connection, it gets even uglier.

Let's face it. Xbox is old news.

The only reason they did so well with the 360 is PS3 was hard to develop for in the start. But picked up and in the end, overtook Xbox 360 sales anyway.

-to insert... the only reason Xbox 360 was deemed anywhere close to the might of playstation a and mentioned in the same sentence... was because everybody who I know who owned one, actually owned about 3, because they kept blowing up. (red ring) vastly inflating sales numbers!

Then, ps4 demolished the newer xbox one in sales and in games /quality /quantity, everything.

Xbox has Not Overcome playstation in anyway, never has in the past and maybe., I'm not sure, but probably won't ever in the future.

Il be buying playStation and all my games on it for one. Excellent box. Nice service (online speed of servers, connection drop rate.. Etc. ) Great games..

I don't want a streaming service. I like to buy my games on disk. And get cashback on credit cards... Topcashback websites... Etc... Then share with friends.

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited:
They went on a spending spree not long ago, guessing we will see said games at E3.

Well, I have unfortunately watched last E3, and there too were promised a lot of games. And know what? There were, a lot of indie games.

And you can play Playstation games on PC as well, you just have to download a Playstation Now program/app and you are ready to go:

Difference is, Sony isn't claiming to be in every home, and just for nothing. You pay Sony to play their own games. That is what I meant. The whole sell point was exclusives.

The only reason they did so well with the 360 is PS3 was hard to develop for in the start. But picked up and in the end, overtook Xbox 360 sales anyway.

So we're leaving out the part where the PS3 cost $100-$200 more than the Xbox 360? Cool.

-to insert... the only reason Xbox 360 was deemed anywhere close to the might of playstationaand mentioned in the same sentence... was because everybody who I know who owned d one.. Actually owned about 3, because they kept blowing up. (red ring) vastly inflating sales numbers!

So we're leaving out the part where the PS3 also had failures? Sure, it wasn't as serious as the RROD, but YLOD did exist. Oh, and let's not forget the PSN controversy...

Xbox has Not Overcome playstation in anyway, never has in the past and maybe., I'm not sure, probably won't ever in the future.

But you literally began this comment by saying the Xbox 360 did so well...have you forgotten already? Here, let me remind you:

Almost as if to imply that up until the PS3 was offered at a cheaper price point, the Xbox 360 had a lead in sales.

Goodness gracious, I don't have a horse in this race because I'll own both, but the revisionist history is out of this world.

My point still stands let's face it. Xbox is old news.

Thanks for your input though.

Ps.. Also I see you selected parts of my comment... Leaving out the fact at one point xbox failure rate was 33‰ yellow light of death.. (haha) was less than 5‰

You also selected to rip me on "you just said they did so well"

But Infact. I ment they did well because of all the replacment consoles. And in the end.. Turned out ps3 overtook them anyway.. So they started off well.. And even managed to make a flop out of that #flopbox.

My brother has one.. Had 360 also... Used to love halo myself! .... But let's not pretend playstation is anything other than a heavyweight champion.

And this press release saying amazon and Google are competition is laughable.

Also it will be about 5 years until everyone has 5g unlimited contracts, for streaming to phones.

The well off will adopt first... But its hardly something that wil be mass market immediately, for all people, kids included.
Only for the rich at first.. It's not even in every city yet. Let alone small towns etc.
And when it is... I bet its going to cost a lot for unlimited data.

Last edited:
Difference is, Sony isn't claiming to be in every home, and just for nothing
No one is claiming that. It's a goal to reach, not a claim that they are doing that.
You pay Sony to play their own games.
I mean, isn't that what everyone does? They buy games for a console they own in order to play them? Now, if this is the case they can still sell consoles as well as having more reach with cloud based streaming.
The whole sell point was exclusives.
That's still very much the point, somewhat. If they can accomplish what they're saying, than their exclusives are going to be reaching much bigger audiences. Not only that, but if they can do the same for Cross-console games than that's already a much wider audience. We'll just have to wait and see.

My point still stands let's face it. Xbox is old news.

Thanks for your input though.
:lol:

Well, I have unfortunately watched last E3, and there too were promised a lot of games. And know what? There were, a lot of indie games.

I'm not talking about last E3. They purchased quite a few developers in mid-to-late 2018, nothing was going to be unveiled from any of them in 2019 unless they were already under development before the buyout.

Xbox is old news.

I don't think I will ever understand this type of sentiment. Would you rather have Sony be unopposed resulting in 0 innovation? The more competition in any market the better, otherwise you get annual releases where they don't even bother removing the previous season's logo's from the game.

I'm not talking about last E3. They purchased quite a few developers in mid-to-late 2018, nothing was going to be unveiled from any of them in 2019 unless they were already under development before the buyout.

I don't think I will ever understand this type of sentiment. Would you rather have Sony be unopposed resulting in 0 innovation? The more competition in any market the better, otherwise you get annual releases where they don't even bother removing the previous season's logo's from the game.
You are right. Better to have a few horses in the race.

Not exactly. When strictly talking about Cloud Gaming? Sure, Microsoft are competing with Amazon and Google. But that's not where the industry is headed for at least another decade. Stadia showed what many of us had predicted for months; that a streaming-only games service is simply not a viable replacement for PC/console gaming. Not for the majority of users, anyway. That said, that does not mean it isn't a business worth investing in currently. Microsoft are making a wise move with xCloud. Offer it as a supplement to their PC/console products. Sony are doing the same with PS Now. That's a recipe for success. If/when internet infrastructure reaches a more mature point in 10+ years that game streaming can become much more advanced, then you might start talking about it being the majority. But we are nowhere near that currently. This is why Stadia is a tough sell for the majority of gamers these days. Also the Stadia service has an incredibly stupid business model, but that is another discussion.

So, Phil is right when talking about cloud gaming but wrong (and he knows it) when talking about the overall gaming business. He knows as well as anyone that PlayStation is very well positioned heading into next-gen. They have twice as many consoles in user households at this point, and users are less likely to "switch teams" these days as we all accrue game libraries, trophies/achievements, backwards compat libraries, etc. You see this with phones too, with users entrenched more and more in Android or iOS. Some will switch, of course, but the days of mass migrations between platforms is a thing of the past. That aspect alone is going to make it very difficult for Xbox to chip into Sony's advantage. I suspect this next generation will go a lot like this last one. Sony will remain the dominant console, but the Xbox will also be incredibly successful and outsell all previous Xbox models, just as the Xbox One did to 360. I'm sure Phil and Microsoft will be just fine with that. They will be laughing all the way to the bank.

What point? That, to you, the Xbox is old news? Fair enough, but that's not a point — it's an opinion.
Is it? Haha.. When will it be a fact then? (to me & more than 50% of gamers - the majority.) it already is...

GT 7 with the new adaptive trigggers here we come.

You can obviously tell with threads like these that even though people like to say that the typical console tribalism and these sorts of pissing matches are long gone, that they're really just simmering beneath the surface. Just really hilariously misguided comments all around.

You can obviously tell with threads like these that even though people like to say that the typical console tribalism and these sorts of pissing matches are long gone, that they're really just simmering beneath the surface. Just really hilariously misguided comments all around.

Eh. Healthy debate about topics like this are just that, healthy. It's the extremes that make everything look bad, and we can't really do anything about that. You have to take the good with the bad, like most other things.

Eh. Healthy debate about topics like this are just that, healthy. It's the extremes that make everything look bad, and we can't really do anything about that. You have to take the good with the bad, like most other things.

I realize that. Still, it's been over the past few months as we've learned more about the new Xbox and PS5, that some of the comments (as shown by this thread) really just feel like fanwar bait, and underline just how childish some of these extremes go. Makes it feel worthless to actually comment on anything that isn't just saying 'Xbox is gonna be dead soon, guise!'

Anyone downplaying the cloud just doesn't know how big Amazon Web Services and MS Azure is. MS is prepping for the future and because Sony/Nintendo simply don't have the amount of money nor investment in this, they chose to partner with MS on this end. Their data centers globally can't be matched.

Wouldn't you rather have the original three stick together than have Amazon, Google....and perhaps Tencent down the line? Stick to your fandom, glad Phil and others have a bigger vision and continue their work.

Back