[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,813 comments
Any other instance of the same color looking so different? First pic is the Tommy Kaira version.

Yeah, tons and tons of the paint colours aren't consistent between cars - it's probably not something I'll be tackling though as it would be a massive amount of work and probably need some dedicated tooling to stop it from being totally maddening to do.

I still have the files from when I was working on making the Opel/Vauxhall colors more consistent. That's only a few cars but it was a major headache due to the way the palettes work and the inconsistencies between models. Two cars with the same paint color do not share the same palette, which means a lot of manual work is required to apply one color to another model.

I still have the files from when I was working on making the Opel/Vauxhall colors more consistent. That's only a few cars but it was a major headache due to the way the palettes work and the inconsistencies between models. Two cars with the same paint color do not share the same palette, which means a lot of manual work is required to apply one color to another model.
If you remember Gran Turismo 5/6, exact same models of Opel and Vauxhall have different pain chips between them, so it's kind of how developers intended, eventually, when they included both brands in all versions of the game... It's the same story for Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ and so on. Just saying there's no need to make the color shades the same, it's not a bug.
This mod is focusing on restoring cut and unfinished content, so I won't be including remake of cars from unrelated games.
Understandable as the point of this mod is to have definitive version of GT2 as devs intended... Just one question, what's the cutoff between the version Polyphony planned, but couldn't make? You aren't planning on eventually adding string-only cars like the JLOC Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren and Porsches? I am not asking about cars from other games, but the Gran Turismo 2 content that was cut early on, from this list:

If slots are the main problem, there's tons of duplicates, and tho it's not as bad as 30+ Miatas in PS3 games, many people would rather have a new car over Acura and Vauxhall copies of Opels and Hondas. (I am not asking to make something like ASPEC mod, but legitimately only restoring the unfinished and cut content over duplicates).

So, is this possible in the future of GT2+, or is beyond the scope of this mod?

Last edited:
Understandable as the point of this mod is to have definitive version of GT2 as devs intended... Just one question, what's the cutoff between the version Polyphony planned, but couldn't make? You aren't planning on eventually adding string-only cars like the JLOC Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren and Porsches?
If slots are the main problem, there's tons of duplicates, and tho it's not as bad as 30+ Miatas in PS3 games, many people would rather have a new car over Acura and Vauxhall copies of Opels and Hondas.

For me, the cutoff is generally content that was started but not completed - the less custom work needed, the better, as anything I create from scratch will naturally fit less well into the art style of the original game. Everything in GT2+ is based on original models and textures by Polyphony, even if they've had to be ported from GT1 or tidied up and finished off. Just about the only car I've created from only a piece of text is the C55 AMG, which was able to repurpose an existing Polyphony model with tweaks and is an interesting rarity to feature. Overall, it's a focus on fixes and polish for what already exists rather than outright creating things.

Unlike the PS3 games, there actually aren't really many duplicate cars in GT2 - certainly there are similar cars, but they're all distinct trim levels and model years. On top of that, removing finished content created by Polyphony in favour of whatever content of varying quality I might manage to make is the exact opposite of a restoration mod, which is why I don't often do it. I've removed the fictional Acura duplicates of the NSXes, and the Exxon-liveried duplicates of the Peugeots and Toyotas, but even those were done begrudgingly.

Finally, the other major point is that... I'm not an artist. I can't make 3D models or paint textures, I write tools and juggle data. I'm glad that GT2 modding has managed to get to a point where talented artists have been able to get involved and create their own vision of what some of the planned cars could have looked like, but that was never really going to be in the scope of this mod.

If you remember Gran Turismo 5/6, exact same models of Opel and Vauxhall have different pain chips between them, so it's kind of how developers intended, eventually, when they included both brands in all versions of the game... It's the same story for Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ and so on. Just saying there's no need to make the color shades the same, it's not a bug.
I mean, many of the colors look nothing like what they do in real life. And even within the same brand, the same paint color may look completely different. Two blue colors have swapped names on some cars but not others... It's a mess.

It's actually easier to make Vauxhall and Open versions of the same car match their palettes, because their base textures are nearly identical. It's applying one Opel color to a different Opel model, for example, that becomes extremely difficult.

For me, the cutoff is generally content that was started but not completed - the less custom work needed, the better, as anything I create from scratch will naturally fit less well into the art style of the original game. Everything in GT2+ is based on original models and textures by Polyphony, even if they've had to be ported from GT1 or tidied up and finished off. Just about the only car I've created from only a piece of text is the C55 AMG, which was able to repurpose an existing Polyphony model with tweaks and is an interesting rarity to feature. Overall, it's a focus on fixes and polish for what already exists rather than outright creating things.

Unlike the PS3 games, there actually aren't really many duplicate cars in GT2 - certainly there are similar cars, but they're all distinct trim levels and model years. On top of that, removing finished content created by Polyphony in favour of whatever content of varying quality I might manage to make is the exact opposite of a restoration mod, which is why I don't often do it. I've removed the fictional Acura duplicates of the NSXes, and the Exxon-liveried duplicates of the Peugeots and Toyotas, but even those were done begrudgingly.

Finally, the other major point is that... I'm not an artist. I can't make 3D models or paint textures, I write tools and juggle data. I'm glad that GT2 modding has managed to get to a point where talented artists have been able to get involved and create their own vision of what some of the planned cars could have looked like, but that was never really going to be in the scope of this mod.
That makes sense, thanks for explaining!

I was doing some reading on the Mazda AZ-1, and I noticed that the AZ-1s in Gran Turismo 2 all have '91 as their model year, but it seems that the cars didn't actually go on sale until the fall of '92. Later Gran Turismos list the AZ-1 as a '92, so maybe that's something worth changing if it isn't a major effort.

Little piece of trivia I learned in my searching: The AZ-1 has an even rarer badge-swapped version, the Suzuki Cara. It's nearly identical aside from its fog lamps.

I was doing some reading on the Mazda AZ-1, and I noticed that the AZ-1s in Gran Turismo 2 all have '91 as their model year, but it seems that the cars didn't actually go on sale until the fall of '92. Later Gran Turismos list the AZ-1 as a '92, so maybe that's something worth changing if it isn't a major effort.

Yeah, that's a good point - it's a trivial change, I'll add it to the list.

Hi!
First all, thanks a lot to @pez2k and all people involved with the mod, after almost 25 years I'm playing GT2 again and I'm loving it!

Just a question, I know that @pez2k have answered this kind of question many times but... Would you consider adding the Lancia 037 rally car? I'm huge Lancia fan and it's the only one missing...

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Hi!
First all, thanks a lot to @pez2k and all people involved with the mod, after almost 25 years I'm playing GT2 again and I'm loving it!

Just a question, I know that @pez2k have answered this kind of question many times but... Would you consider adding the Lancia 037 rally car? I'm huge Lancia fan and it's the only one missing...

Thanks and keep up the good work!

No vehicles will be added to this mod unless the vehicle model was already existing partially. So cars modelled from scratch are a no go.

If you want a GT2 mod with new added vehicles try the A-Spec mod

Unfortunately Polyphony never planned to add that car, so there's nothing related to it in the game or any demos, and this mod is focused on finishing off content that was left incomplete rather than adding anything arbitrary from scratch.

As the post above suggests, the GT2 A-Spec mod has added a lot of new cars to the game, so it's worth checking their work to see if they've included anything like that.

There is a Rally 037 in GT2 A-Spec right now, but it's a JGTC car. I don't remember if it can still be modded for rallying or not.
In the mod you can rally it but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. MR cars are in general a handful off road in GT2. A-Spec in general is just a completely different kind of mod from GT2+.

GT2 A-Spec is an incredible mod, it has new vehicles that add more hours of fun to the game, but personally I prefer GT2 Plus, it is better worked, with well polished details, it feels more professional. I know it is unfair to compare a mod that has been released last year with one that takes years of work, but GT2 Plus is perfect for those who want the original experience of Gran Turismo 2 but improved to 200%. Literally every time a new GT2 Plus update comes out it's like Christmas for me.

Got another question... I'm trying to buy the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, in the vanilla game it has 313hp or 326 depends on the source and costs 43,230; the same prized model got 280hp, same power than the cheaper Japan model, is the 313/326hp gone forever?

EDIT: I got the info from gamefaqs and gt2site, maybe it's a mistake from them and that car never existed or the power is for the PAL version

Last edited:
Got another question... I'm trying to buy the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, in the vanilla game it has 313hp or 326 depends on the source and costs 43,230; the same prized model got 280hp, same power than the cheaper Japan model, is the 313/326hp gone forever?

The Mitsubishi GTO was renamed to 3000GT for the PAL and NTSC-U versions of the game, but without changing any of the car specs to match a European / US 3000GT. As a result, this mod switches the names back to match the car that's actually represented in the game, the GTO (which also means it matches the names used for the same cars in GT1). The '3000GT VR-4' in particular was a renamed version of the GTO Twin Turbo, so that's the car you're looking for.

The power produced by cars in the GT games doesn't always match the numbers advertised in the dealerships, to reflect how Japanese manufacturers of the time never advertised their cars as making any more than 280ps. Quite a few of them actually make more power that that in the game, and only the garage and tuning screens will show the real power. The GTO Twin Turbo will be one of those - advertised at 280ps, but really making 326ps when bought.

Finally, for the difference in power figures between different sources, the game used PS (metric horsepower) in Japan, and BHP (imperial horsepower) in the PAL and NTSC-U versions. The metric units give slightly higher values, so 326ps will be the same as 313bhp. Imperial horsepower is the wrong unit for all of the non-English languages (Spain for example uses metric horsepower as CV), and the unit conversion gives a lot of weird results through the game (such as displaying a '394bhp' power limit on races instead of the actual easy-to-remember 400ps). The car setup screen was also missing the unit conversion and always showed PS in any region, so this mod removes the unit conversion in all versions of the game so it's consistently in PS everywhere, and shows the original intended values.

Both of those changes (reverting car name changes and reverting the unit conversions) have the side effect of making old game guides a bit more confusing to use. I've tried to avoid breaking old guides wherever possible, but in these cases it became necessary to do so for other changes to work well. For example, GT2 has both a European Nissan 200SX and a Japanese Nissan Silvia of the same model year, and without removing the PAL change that renames all Silvias to 200SX, when the mod enabled both of those cars at the same time it would have ended up having two different cars named '200SX' and '200SX (J)', which would be tremendously confusing.

The Mitsubishi GTO was renamed to 3000GT for the PAL and NTSC-U versions of the game, but without changing any of the car specs to match a European / US 3000GT. As a result, this mod switches the names back to match the car that's actually represented in the game, the GTO (which also means it matches the names used for the same cars in GT1). The '3000GT VR-4' in particular was a renamed version of the GTO Twin Turbo, so that's the car you're looking for.

The power produced by cars in the GT games doesn't always match the numbers advertised in the dealerships, to reflect how Japanese manufacturers of the time never advertised their cars as making any more than 280ps. Quite a few of them actually make more power that that in the game, and only the garage and tuning screens will show the real power. The GTO Twin Turbo will be one of those - advertised at 280ps, but really making 326ps when bought.

Finally, for the difference in power figures between different sources, the game used PS (metric horsepower) in Japan, and BHP (imperial horsepower) in the PAL and NTSC-U versions. The metric units give slightly higher values, so 326ps will be the same as 313bhp. Imperial horsepower is the wrong unit for all of the non-English languages (Spain for example uses metric horsepower as CV), and the unit conversion gives a lot of weird results through the game (such as displaying a '394bhp' power limit on races instead of the actual easy-to-remember 400ps). The car setup screen was also missing the unit conversion and always showed PS in any region, so this mod removes the unit conversion in all versions of the game so it's consistently in PS everywhere, and shows the original intended values.

Both of those changes (reverting car name changes and reverting the unit conversions) have the side effect of making old game guides a bit more confusing to use. I've tried to avoid breaking old guides wherever possible, but in these cases it became necessary to do so for other changes to work well. For example, GT2 has both a European Nissan 200SX and a Japanese Nissan Silvia of the same model year, and without removing the PAL change that renames all Silvias to 200SX, when the mod enabled both of those cars at the same time it would have ended up having two different cars named '200SX' and '200SX (J)', which would be tremendously confusing.
I really appreciate your explanation, I'm buying the GTO right now!

A few more changes I've been working on for beta 7:

I've always been curious as to why there are two Ruf BTRs in GT2 (labelled Type I and Type II), and after taking a proper look at them, it turns out that the Type II actually makes 400hp rather than the advertised 374hp like the Type I. This seems to suggest that they're meant to reflect the original 374hp BTR spec, and the later, more powerful BTR II revision (with the even later BTR III making 408hp). However, the Type I has the newer CTR style bodywork, and the Type II has the older 934-style bodywork like the 374hp BTR in GT4. I've now swapped them around, so that the early car matches GT4, the newer car is the more powerful spec, and then updated the menus and stats to match. The hardest part by far was removing the old text from the menus!
btrswap.png

btrii.png

Another job I've been pushing along with is to revert the remaining 'localised' names for the Japanese cars in the Complete version. I've gone through Daihatsu, and Mazda too:
mazdadealer.png

The used dealer at Mazda is also a bit more interesting now, with their various sub-brands showing up:
mazdaused.png

Finally, MMRivit made a huge donation of a full set of manufacturer event screens with the names changed to match, which has saved me a ton of time and effort. They look spotlessly great too:
nissanevents.png

Not everything is easy to show off in a screenshot, so as usual there's even more than the above - fixing the turbo and NA events showing the wrong error message when trying to enter in a car that doesn't meet the requirements, fixing the weird message when trying to change the wheels on a BMW in the US version (in vanilla and Light), changing the Japanese version to require the IA license for the Muscle Car Cup like other regions, and more. The changelog alone is going to take me a while to write!

I don't know if I've previously announced it, but there'll be a simple way to check if the patch has been applied in the next version, as the above only works on the Complete version. Currently in Light, the easiest check is to see if the Audi S4 costs more than the basic A4, which needs the user to know that was originally broken.
How can you create a yellow image of a car dealer labeled "new car"? I still need to search for "change color and name of the color" I still need to look for graphics under the car of the seller of the vehicle, I need more information so that I can completely modify it Gran Truismo 2 I will have my own work. Please, please send us the contact email kungfu@outlook.cz more info so that I can find and know if it is possible and please all complete what identity many things and equipment after work Gran Turismo 2. I am deaf like work after editing Gran Turismo 2 and also more info all YouTube video clips but want to work correctly gradually after editing so that the necchi late after the YouTube error gradually. if you all could send an email then I discovered something.

Thank you ;) :D :cheers:

How can you create a yellow image of a car dealer labeled "new car"?

In theory it might be possible to use a 3D suite to do a similar render of a model then figure out how to greyscale it and apply just the right coloured fill, but I don't have anywhere near that level of artistic ability, so I've never created any new ones. All of the cars added to the New Car dealerships are similar enough to existing models that I could reuse an existing render and paint on some minor differences by hand.

The text changes are done by piecing together the parts of the image that are not covered in text from the screens for each of the languages, and hand-painting any remaining bits to remove any unwanted text, then either using a similar font where possible or copying and pasting individual characters from other screens. None of it is quick or easy.

In theory it might be possible to use a 3D suite to do a similar render of a model then figure out how to greyscale it and apply just the right coloured fill, but I don't have anywhere near that level of artistic ability, so I've never created any new ones. All of the cars added to the New Car dealerships are similar enough to existing models that I could reuse an existing render and paint on some minor differences by hand.

The text changes are done by piecing together the parts of the image that are not covered in text from the screens for each of the languages, and hand-painting any remaining bits to remove any unwanted text, then either using a similar font where possible or copying and pasting individual characters from other screens. None of it is quick or easy.
It is possible, so please I am looking for many programs for Gran Turismo 2. And also add YouTube many tutorials please send more info everyone. Thank you. :cheers::D

It is possible, so please I am looking for many programs for Gran Turismo 2. And also add YouTube many tutorials please send more info everyone. Thank you. :cheers::D
All the tools you'll need and/or links and information to anything else you might need can be found here:

There aren't many Youtube tutorials on modding, but there are some instructions that come with some of the tools. GT2 isn't as easy to mod as later games like GT5 and GT6.

All the tools you'll need and/or links and information to anything else you might need can be found here:

There aren't many Youtube tutorials on modding, but there are some instructions that come with some of the tools. GT2 isn't as easy to mod as later games like GT5 and GT6.
OK! thank you :cheers::D
You're probably looking for the general GT2 modding thread rather than this one then, this thread is specifically about GT2+ rather than GT2 tools.
OK! thank you :cheers::D

And please add to search for the program, but when they are added, they want to be marked "update next week", something dark, a secret car, something to add a car? And where to find the program? Thanks. :cheers::D

And please add to search for the program, but when they are added, they want to be marked "update next week", something dark, a secret car, something to add a car? And where to find the program? Thanks. :cheers::D

Sorry, I really have no idea what you're asking for.

You're probably looking for the general GT2 modding thread rather than this one then, this thread is specifically about GT2+ rather than GT2 tools.
Please more YouTube video all Gran Turismo 2 tool and modding car? Thanks :cheers::D

Sorry, I really have no idea what you're asking for.
Please in general more video Gran Turismo 2 tool and modding I want to see instructions how to proceed. Thank you. :cheers: :D

Please in general more video Gran Turismo 2 tool and modding I want to see instructions how to proceed. Thank you. :cheers: :D

I don't do tutorials or videos, I'm too busy working on this mod whenever I can. If you need help with modding then that general modding thread is the place to ask.

I don't do tutorials or videos, I'm too busy working on this mod whenever I can. If you need help with modding then that general modding thread is the place to ask.
Yes I want to help all YouTube modding and tool Gran Turismo 2

Back